The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 04:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
In Sweden, him being a "jetsetter" is bad enough. So wearing a Rolex is an eyesore. (I'm not saying I agree. Just stating the mentality)
Ah! That's very interesting. Thank you for those details.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Interesting. I have always thought that Tall Poppy Syndrome has a lot to do with the attitude of the high achiever: how they behave after achieving success. I think that here it is OK to be successful as long as you don't bung on airs and graces and start behaving as though you are better than everyone else just because you've got money. Successful people who don't flout their wealth and who don't desert their old mates just because they have climbed up the economic ladder aren't cut down. I don't think so, anyway. And though I am no expert on Chris and I may be wrong, I don't think he is a man who loudly and brazenly flaunts his success.
Nobody knows if he is a high achiever. He is a freelance banker, what he is doing for business remains intransparent, wears a rolex but doesnt pay his taxes on time, didn't want to become a swede and declined a title but now he plans to live in Sweden, its all not transparent and not straight forward for royal standards or what people expect from a member of a royal family. Even though Chris is not a member, people don't see him as much as a private person as Chris thought they would because cherry picking doesnt work (turning up to the high profile events only but the rest: no thank you). Its the intransparency and inconsistency of the way they lead their life that causes the controversy.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Nobody knows if he is a high achiever. He is a freelance banker, what he is doing for business remains intransparent, wears a rolex but doesnt pay his taxes on time, didn't want to become a swede and declined a title but now he plans to live in Sweden, its all not transparent and not straight forward for royal standards or what people expect from a member of a royal family. Even though Chris is not a member, people don't see him as much as a private person as Chris thought they would because cherry picking doesnt work (turning up to the high profile events only but the rest: no thank you). Its the intransparency and inconsistency of the way they lead their life that causes the controversy.
Very true, and a good summary!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:56 AM
Commoner

I do think they should change their pr-strategy, even if they aren't what disturbs me the most in the SRF.
However Chris's father was a very rich man and I don't have any doubt in believing he can afford luxuries such as Rolex. He has always been part of a certain world. He wouldnt even have met M., if he werent.
About the transparency, what he does and the kind of investment he makes shouldn't be public. It's the general rule in the banking and financial world.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:59 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fra85 View Post
I do think they should change their pr-strategy, even if they aren't what disturbs me the most in the SRF.
However Chris's father was a very rich man and I don't have any doubt in believing he can afford luxuries such as Rolex. He has always been part of a certain world. He wouldnt even have met M., if he werent.
About the transparency, what he does and the kind of investment he makes shouldn't be public. It's the general rule in the banking and financial world.
I agree. They don't disturb me so much either. Just that he makes her "eat the cookie and have it too" image get even stronger.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:01 AM
Commoner

Quote:
I agree. They don't disturb me so much either. Just that he makes her "eat the cookie and have it too" image get even stronger.
This I agree. I imagine that if she really plans to stay in Sweden permanently, she should work more after the maternity leave.
She should have more events and more patronages. She can't go on like she did in the USA.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Very well written. Madeleine and the court should have (or maybe they already had after the Gävle mess) a long talk about her PR-strategy.
Madeleine will be attending at the official dinner on Wednesday, but she didn't attend at the funeral of Peter Wallenberg last week. The king said on his statement that "Peter was a close and loyal friend of the royal family". Everyone else of the family attended at the funeral, Madeleine didn't. It would have been a good move for her to attend too.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Very well written. Madeleine and the court should have (or maybe they already had after the Gävle mess) a long talk about her PR-strategy.
Madeleine will be attending at the official dinner on Wednesday, but she didn't attend at the funeral of Peter Wallenberg last week. The king said on his statement that "Peter was a close and loyal friend of the royal family". Everyone else of the family attended at the funeral, Madeleine didn't. It would have been a good move for her to attend too.
Oh, she didn't?...... Sigh...

(Btw, I don't know if we are OT. If we are, could a mod please move this to their general discussion thread)
Old 02-09-2015, 08:45 AM
Heir Apparent

I'm feeling very uncomfortable about all this. I feel as though Chris is being bullied, though I'm not quite sure who is bullying him; it could even be that Madeleine is the one doing the bullying.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I'm feeling very uncomfortable about all this. I feel as though Chris is being bullied, though I'm not quite sure who is bullying him; it could even be that Madeleine is the one doing the bullying.
Huh? How come? (I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't see it)

Yes, he is being pushed into it.. But the alternative is her being pushed away from it.. It wouldn't work for long this arrangement they have now. So one of them have to compromise. It seems their choice is for Chris to compromise more... Right or not, it's their decision.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
You are absolutely right, I have absolutely no idea why Chris is being hunted. He is a private citizen, albeit the son-in-law of the King.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:54 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
You are absolutely right, I have absolutely no idea why Chris is being hunted. He is a private citizen, albeit the son-in-law of the King.
I don't think Chris himself is being hunted. Just in accosiation to Madeleine. How his work impacts the image of her homelife. How all his "bad" attributes seems to be similar to Madeleine (Smoking, party, spending money) and in that way enhances hers. (Yes, they both have good qualities. That's not what I'm saying). Many people didn't like that Madeleine was a party princess that moved away to the US only to do the bare minimum. And when she married Chris and he didn't take a title all this just got enhanced. The "have the cake and eat it too" that she has been accused of, he made similar choices. So I myself don't blame him, but realize the impact this has on Madeleine's image.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:56 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think Chris is being bullied at all. Before he wed Madde, he could do what he wanted, when he wanted, with whomever he wanted. That is no longer the case. He may be balking simply because he can't call ALL the shots any longer.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
He is married to the member of the royal family. Although he is a private citizen, he attends at the official events with his wife and the press writes about him then. The press sees him like a celebrity or a public person, and thinks that they can write about him. And he isn't helping his and Madeleine's situation at all. He messed by involving Madeleine into his businesses in a way that wasn't right according to the court policy for the members of the royal family. He corrected it, when the press found out the whole thing and there were big articles. But that made the press even more interested in him and his businesses. And that he went against Bunte about the honeymoon photos, made Bunte angry to him and dig his life and businesses as much as they can.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
I think that's the theory or legally speaking. Practically I think it's impossible to be a private citizen while being married to a princess/having a daughter far up in the line of succession. IMO its incompatible since Chris has to join his wife's world eg for high profile events, photoshootings etc what puts him into the spotlight. If he was consequent, he'd decline these events as well. Plus, what he does in his private life is interesting to the media.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:05 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I think that's the theory or legally speaking. Practically I think it's impossible to be a private citizen while being married to a princess/having a daughter far up in the line of succession. IMO its incompatible since Chris has to join his wife's world eg for high profile events, photoshootings etc what puts him into the spotlight. If he was consequent, he'd decline these events as well. Plus, what he does in his private life is interesting to the media.
I agree. He doesn't get her royal status (which can be regulated) but he get's her celebrity status and that is a whole other thing.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:00 AM
Commoner

Quote:
I don't think he is bullied, but it's quite obvious he is treated worse than other persons linked to the SRF.
Also while Chris made some mistakes,the SRF didnt' help at all. They should have helped him more. The press made also issues about things that in the finance world aren't issues at all. It seems they just want to create a scandal.

I don't even think he could avoid all the events, even if he wanted to. If he had chosen not to attend the Noble, people would have complained anyway.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
In Sweden, him being a "jetsetter" is bad enough. So wearing a Rolex is an eyesore. (I'm not saying I agree. Just stating the mentality)
Poor guy.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

A column by Lars Ragnar Forssberg in HelaHälsingland, a newspaper at Madeleine's other duchy Hälsingland. Forssberg is a journalist and author, seen as rather radical. He published his column yesterday, but writes about Madeleine's visit to Gävle.

An unnecessary Duchess of Hälsingland?
He highlights once again that the royal family is on taxpayers' payroll.
"We finance the royal family through our taxes. The court and Princess Madeleine are on our payroll. This means that we have the right to ask elementary requirement of royal family members. If Madeleine finds it hard to meet people in the provinces, which have got her as duchess, she can stay home".
En onödig hertiginna av Hälsingland - helahalsingland.se
Translation

There is a lot of work to do for the royal family and press department of the court. They must think again in what way they visit their duchies and other provinces in Sweden. The royal family can't afford more disasters like this. The world has changed and nowadays people demand more from the royal family. And like Forssberg writes, when a royal comes to a visit to the duchy, there is a big crowd of people working for that the visit can be done well.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fra85 View Post
I don't think he is bullied, but it's quite obvious he is treated worse than other persons linked to the SRF.\
Also while Chris made some mistakes,the SRF didnt' help at all. They should have helped him more. The press made also issues about things that in the finance world aren't issues at all. It seems they just want to create a scandal.

I don't even think he could avoid all the events, even if he wanted to. If he had chosen not to attend the Noble, people would have complained anyway.
Very good points, but wow, don't know what's going on here except that their is constant nagging and criticism of Madeleine who, let's be fair here, is pregnant. Perhaps the reason she didn't attend the funeral was that she was not feeling well. Perhaps fatigue had frozen her smile on the visit to her Duchy and she saved all the smiles for those who live there? We don't know!

I am no fan of the way Madeleine behaved prior to her marriage, but neither do I understand the snide comments about Chris and Madeleine's Manhatten home. Rolexes? Whose business is it but Chris and Madeleine. For all people were not impressed by the amount of "bang for their buck" from Madeleine in NY, it is still none of our business what Chris's income is or if his accountant/financial adviser paid his bills on time and where and with whom his money is invested.

In all fairness, I do not believe the King CG sits down and writes the cheques that pay their domestic bills, nor do I think that Victoria or Daniel do either, becuase that is what they employ and hansomely reward qualified people to do for them. Chris and Maddie are the same. For all the royal bits leaking into Chris's world, it still does not make him a royal nor does his marriage entitle the people of Sweden or anywhere else, to have full access to his financial situation. They don't even have that with King CG!

As I have said, I have not been a particular supporter of Madeleine but I do believe in fair play and at the moment it seems to be a very uneven playing field. A small company wails about not getting an "Interview" and suddenly this is all a humongous scandal? Comments of Sofia speaking breathlessly about how CP's family have accepted her, do not equate to "interviews" nor do I expect either she or Carl Philip to give them much in the future. Victoria and Daniel seem to have a degree of control over their interaction with the media, but I believe that is in large part give and take and a degree of willingness for the media to "keep them sweet".

Finally, on balance it seems to me that Chris is indeed being bullied and Madeleine to a lesser degree. Fra85 is right, the SRF have done little to help although with their glaring PR ineptitude, perhaps that is not a such a bad thing.

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine