The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 07:40 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

This thread has been cleaned up. Several speculative and/or insulting posts have been removed.

Comments about the Skavlan interview can be posted here.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Chris skämde ut Madeleine på festen | Stoppa Pressarna – Kungligheter – Kungafamiljen – Svensk Damtidning – Prinsessan Madeleine – Kronprinsessan Victoria

Chris O'Neill has again disgraced Princess Madeleine: television cameras revealed that Chris O'Neill, 41, chewed gum and generally looked bored while the other guests sang the Royal Anthemat the awards ceremony of the Nobel Prize. Both guests and viewers were shocked by the extremely nonchalant behavior.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Chris skämde ut Madeleine på festen | Stoppa Pressarna €“ Kungligheter €“ Kungafamiljen €“ Svensk Damtidning €“ Prinsessan Madeleine €“ Kronprinsessan Victoria

Chris O'Neill has again disgraced Princess Madeleine: television cameras revealed that Chris O'Neill, 41, chewed gum and generally looked bored while the other guests sang the Royal Anthemat the awards ceremony of the Nobel Prize. Both guests and viewers were shocked by the extremely nonchalant behavior.
Columnist Anna Shimoda wrote about Chris, the chewing gum and the King's Song already in the Nobel evening at the website of Hnt i Veckan. This article in Stoppa pressarna quotes article in Hnt i Veckan. The cover of Hnt i Veckan:
https://www.instagram.com/p/_Wg1czmo...=hant_i_veckan
Old 12-17-2015, 11:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Chris skämde ut Madeleine på festen | Stoppa Pressarna €“ Kungligheter €“ Kungafamiljen €“ Svensk Damtidning €“ Prinsessan Madeleine €“ Kronprinsessan Victoria

Hmmm....I'm not Mr O'Neill's apologist, but color me skeptical on this one. In the one or two pictures from the actual ceremony, he looks very tired. Plus the article chose to highlight one very strange photograph that appears to be a composite. I scent a hatchet job. He's learnt that 'they' will go after him no matter what. He's got the message. Why should he care?
Old 12-17-2015, 11:32 PM
Heir Apparent

That rag also has a story about a supposed fight between maddie and Sofia. I am sure there has got to be a story about aliens in there too. Yes, there are lots of publications like this one, in all languages. The pictures they chose of him and the captions are really funny
Old 12-18-2015, 01:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
Chris is a private citicen - and no citicen of Sweden; and Stockholm isn't London by no means in the World of Finances - you can compare London only with NY or maybe Frankfurt/Main or with the Asian hot-spots
Mr. Christopher Paul O'Neill is a "private" citizen in theory only. With his wife, daughter, and son being "HRH Princesses/Prince of Sweden, Duchesses/Duke of _________," and his wife's entire paternal family being the Swedish royal family - his F-I-L is THE King of Sweden - again, only in theory is he a "private" citizen. Is this unfortunate for him??? Hmm...he claims to not want attention, but then demonstrates childish behavior for the paps, which then feeds his claim of wanting to be a private citizen - HUH????? Seems more like attention -seeking behavior to me. Actions speak louder than words...a lot louder. Me thinks he loves attention...just sayin'...😜😔
Old 12-18-2015, 01:10 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Hmmm....I'm not Mr O'Neill's apologist, but color me skeptical on this one. In the one or two pictures from the actual ceremony, he looks very tired. Plus the article chose to highlight one very strange photograph that appears to be a composite. I scent a hatchet job. He's learnt that 'they' will go after him no matter what. He's got the message. Why should he care?
Completely agree with your assessment of Chris. After all this is the media and they are always on a witch hunt when it comes to Madeleine and Chris, they worst pictures the better, the lies they make up the better they feel. And later they will have the same witch hunt on someone else. I like Chris, he is his own man, works for himself, supports his family and ask nothing in return, guess the media in Sweden can't stand an independent man who could care less what the media witch hunters say. Hope he had a nice tall drink after the Nobles for he deserved it.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:19 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Chris skämde ut Madeleine på festen | Stoppa Pressarna – Kungligheter – Kungafamiljen – Svensk Damtidning – Prinsessan Madeleine – Kronprinsessan Victoria

Is there any video of him actually chewing gum at the Nobel Prize ceremony?
Old 12-18-2015, 05:15 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

wasn't Madeleine accused of chewing gum at the ceremony in 2014?
Old 12-18-2015, 05:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
Here is the video of the Nobel Prize ceremony. The King's Song starts at 7.43 and Chris is shown there. Kungssngen (The King's Song) is a Royal Anthem which is sung usually when the king attends the various ceremonies and visits, but sometimes also as a pure tribute to him.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Thanks - I had seen it before, he looks very bad there.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
I noticed it live. But everyone just assumed it was because he's a smoker. Looks wierd but not a huge deal to me.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Here is the video of the Nobel Prize ceremony. The King's Song starts at 7.43 and Chris is shown there. Kungssngen (The King's Song) is a Royal Anthem which is sung usually when the king attends the various ceremonies and visits, but sometimes also as a pure tribute to him.
Saw the video and he looks very uncomfortable in his present situation. This particular "incident" is not really much of one at all - he didn't do anything inappropriate IMO. But many posters keep sating that Chris is just a "private citizen" well, he is not - he is low on the totem pole but nonetheless a member of the SRF. He is introduced with the official SRF - when he married Madeleine he became part of a royal family. If he wants to be a private citizen he should not attend these types of official SRF events.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

He's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't. If he didn't turn up at the Nobel events, he would be soundly criticised because this is apparently one of the big with a capital "B" events on the Swedish Royal calendar.

He's criticised for chewing gum and looking bored. I'll go for nonchalant rather than bored, because he seems to just be sitting quietly and impassively like everyone else, and I would have thought would be fine for these events. The main offence seems to be the gum chewing, but maybe he thought no-one would care what he was doing. Was he chewing gum all the time he was there or did they only post the footage of him chewing gum? If he chews all the time, he must have a serious nicotine addiction, but is chewing really such a terrible thing to do? At least he's there!
Old 12-18-2015, 04:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Agreed. Damn if he does and dam if he doesn't. What would he supposed to do? (This reminds me of the Carole's chewinggate, btw... a big deal fro some days) I guess it would be better for him to simply disappear and even then he would get blows.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:22 PM
Majesty

I agree. This is much ado about nothing. He's there supporting his wife and that is commendable. He is well dressed and groomed. What more do people want. It is not as if he was unaware the cameras were on him, he looked right at them, so I am guessing nobody told him that chewing gum is deemed to be rude, offensive and disrespectful. (It isn't, merely a minor cultural difference).
Old 12-18-2015, 11:44 PM
Courtier

Chris could be chewing gum to tighten his jaw and neck muscles. Right now he has a bit of a double-chin. Or it could be nicotine gum and he's trying to quit smoking. Or he could have been constipated, the sorbitol in a piece of sugar-free gum is equivalent to eating a prune. Or he could have been worried about meeting the Nobel laureates with bad breath.

There are plenty of good reasons people have for chewing gum.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Chris could be chewing gum to tighten his jaw and neck muscles. Right now he has a bit of a double-chin. Or it could be nicotine gum and he's trying to quit smoking. Or he could have been constipated, the sorbitol in a piece of sugar-free gum is equivalent to eating a prune. Or he could have been worried about meeting the Nobel laureates with bad breath.

There are plenty of good reasons people have for chewing gum.

But uh... Not ever in a publicly broadcast formal celebration.

I mean, it's not a national scandal but it's definitely a bit gauche.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 12-19-2015, 01:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Was he chewing gum all the time he was there or did they only post the footage of him chewing gum? If he chews all the time, he must have a serious nicotine addiction, but is chewing really such a terrible thing to do? At least he's there!
The video I posted is the official broadcast from SVT. Of course they are showing the members of the royal family, the honorary guests of the ceremony.
Since I have never smoked, I don't know if it is so hard for the smokers to be without smoking 1 hour 10 minutes that one has to chew a gum. Of course Chris knows that the royal family is filmed when The King's Song is sung. If he just could have been without chewing for that 45 seconds which the song lasted, it wouldn't have been so embarrassing. The song which is sung in honor of his father-in-law, the Head of State of Sweden.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:27 AM
Aristocracy

Chewing gum, oh of all things, shame on him for disrespecting this father-in-law, hog wash I say. He is a smoker and knowing many who do that and I sure don't, I see how hard it is when going to the movies or a place that does not allow smoking. He was there to support the his wife and the royal family, what more can people expect of him. I applaud him for even going, and those long dinners can be very boring regardless of the event.

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine