The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 03:51 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Swedish press continues with articles on a crisis between Madde/Chris/SRF:

The royal couple have had enough: they freeze out their son in law Chris. Madeleine feels alone and abandoned, says a source.
Kungaparets markering mot Chris | Stoppa Pressarna – Kungligheter – Kungafamiljen – Svensk Damtidning – Prinsessan Madeleine – Kronprinsessan Victoria

"Madeleine would return home". Madeleine does not want to live in London. The Princess only chose to move abroad for her husband Chris sake. She really wants to live in Sweden, says a source.
Madeleines svåra val | Stoppa Pressarna – Kungligheter – Kungafamiljen – Svensk Damtidning – Prinsessan Madeleine – Kronprinsessan Victoria
What even is this "Stoppa pressarna" magazine?! I'm swedish and I only hear about it when it comes to really, really tabloidy headlines... And I don't mean Daily Mail bad.. I mean Bild and worse.. Hnt extra level.. I would taake those with a bucket of salt.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

"Stoppa pressarna" is a web gossip magazine. Stoppa pressarna quotes/copies the articles of Expressen, Expressen Extra, Aftonbladet, Svensk Damtidning, the gossip magazines Hnt i Veckan, Hnt Bild, Hnt Extra and Veckans Nu. By doing so Stoppa pressarna tries to get people to stop ordering paper magazines, because the same stories can be read from their website.

These latest articles about Madeleine and Chris quote articles at the gossip magazine Hnt i Veckan and in Expressen Extra.
On the cover of Hnt i Veckan: The king and Silvia freeze to Chris
https://www.instagram.com/p/-gOmkyGo...=hant_i_veckan

Old 11-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Aristocracy

I sure hope this is Not true and just ugly gossip by the media to sell more papers. It takes a lot of work on both sides to keep a marriage afloat and on the right track.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:40 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
"Stoppa pressarna" is a web gossip magazine. Stoppa pressarna quotes/copies the articles of Expressen, Expressen Extra, Aftonbladet, Svensk Damtidning, the gossip magazines Hnt i Veckan, Hnt Bild, Hnt Extra and Veckans Nu. By doing so Stoppa pressarna tries to get people to stop ordering paper magazines, because the same stories can be read from their website.

These latest articles about Madeleine and Chris quote articles at the gossip magazine Hnt i Veckan and in Expressen Extra.
On the cover of Hnt i Veckan: The king and Silvia freeze to Chris
https://www.instagram.com/p/-gOmkyGo...=hant_i_veckan
Don't know Swedish but there is obviously some serious an anomosity between Chris and King Carl-Gustav. Actions speak so much louder than words. I do believe Chris loves Madeleine, but he also wants to maintain his identity. He remains Catholic, said his wedding vows in English, refused a title from CG, etc. I'm sure CG did/does not like decisions Chris has made and Chris does not give a crap about CG's feelings. Chris is not impressed with royalty but realizes so many others are impressed by all things royal; I believe he feels he is giving his children the world by letting be titled and giving them the SRF's last name. He wants his children to have the best in life. He also knows those two babies will never be in his custody should he and Madeleine call it quits.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
Don't know Swedish but there is obviously some serious an anomosity between Chris and King Carl-Gustav. Actions speak so much louder than words. I do believe Chris loves Madeleine, but he also wants to maintain his identity. He remains Catholic, said his wedding vows in English, refused a title from CG, etc. I'm sure CG did/does not like decisions Chris has made and Chris does not give a crap about CG's feelings. Chris is not impressed with royalty but realizes so many others are impressed by all things royal; I believe he feels he is giving his children the world by letting be titled and giving them the SRF's last name. He wants his children to have the best in life. He also knows those two babies will never be in his custody should he and Madeleine call it quits.
I don't think religion is an issue here. Sweden had Catholic queens before like Dsire or Josphine. Swedish law only requires that Madeleine and her children be members of the Church of Sweden to remain in the line of succession. Chris complied with that requirement by marrying and baptizing his children in the Church of Sweden. Apart from that, he is free to profess any religion he wants.

In a way, it is similar to the arrangement between Maxima and Willem-Alexander. She remains Catholic, but married and baptized her daughters in the Protestant Church. In the Netherlands, unlike in Sweden, there is no legal requirement that the royal princesses or even the King himself be Protestant, but apparently the Royal Family demanded it as a condition to agree to the marriage between Willem-Alexander and Maxima.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
...He remains Catholic, said his wedding vows in English, refused a title from CG, etc. I'm sure CG did/does not like decisions Chris has made and Chris does not give a crap about CG's feelings. Chris is not impressed with royalty but realizes so many others are impressed by all things royal; I believe he feels he is giving his children the world by letting be titled and giving them the SRF's last name. He wants his children to have the best in life. He also knows those two babies will never be in his custody should he and Madeleine call it quits.
Well Mbruno covered the religion question and I am going to take a punt at the wedding. Chris gave his answers in English. What is so surprising about that. It's a fair bet that none of Chris's family or friends speak Swedish but do speak English, this is after all a bi-cultural couple and their wedding should naturally express that diversity.

As to titles, I am not sure CG can bestow them on non-royal, non-Swedish citizens. Chris did accept an Order, though. When it comes to work, Chris does, and there was never, ever any talk of him chucking it in and becoming a stay-at-home dad in Sweden. What seems to have taken Chris by surprise is the gross invasion of his privacy. He is not royal, he is and will continue to be a private citizen. So what's not for CG to like?
Old 12-04-2015, 05:30 AM
Serene Highness

The only thing I can think of is that Christopher grossly underestimated the ability to remain a private person when his wife and children are HRH's and Duke/Duchess.
What would or could be interesting is how they view this border themselves, I think it would create at least more understanding.

Legally he is indeed a private person whose business is no one's interest except his own, only I don't see how this can be combined with the practice of having a HRH wife and children. IMO it's practically impossible and they are truly unique and I dare even say isolated in royal Europe. There is no one else that holds the same position.

Would the general consensus have been better had Madeleine married Jonas Bergstrom?
Old 12-04-2015, 06:49 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
...only I don't see how this can be combined with the practice of having a HRH wife and children. IMO it's practically impossible and they are truly unique and I dare even say isolated in royal Europe. There is no one else that holds the same position.
It's really surprise me.
since when Pieter van Vollenhoven is not commoner with a HRH wife and children-princes?
Old 12-04-2015, 07:30 AM
Serene Highness

Pieter van Vollenhoven does not have a royal title but is a member of the royal family and the Royal House, is not a foreigner, is not evasive of the media - he has given interviews about his work and hobbies and is open about his family so the public knows who he is, what he stands for and what he is doing. He has gained a lot of admiration and respect throughout the years and in some things he has really been groundbreaking.

His wife is a highly respected, hard-working royal who has been the supporter of her sister for years. Princess Margriet is a "what you see is what you get" kind of woman.

IMO not quite compatible with Madeleine and Christopher.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Pieter van Vollenhoven does not have a royal title but is a member of the royal family and the Royal House, [...]
Prof. van Vollenhoven also takes on official engagements.

Nieuws | Actueel | Het Koninklijk Huis
Old 12-04-2015, 08:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

As far as Chris is concerned, I think the current focus of tension is that, when Madeleine moved out of New York, she and her parents had hopes that she might have moved permanently to Sweden, which is what, I believe, the 3 of them would have preferred. Chris had other plans though and even insulted the Swedish people in one of his interviews where he implied that, unless he left Sweden, he wouldn't be able to "put bread" on his family's table (as if Sweden were a country where no one of his kind could find a decent job to provide for his wife and kids).
Old 12-04-2015, 09:49 AM
Commoner

I personally think that the King likes and respects his foreigner son-in-law. He was the one who decided and asked Madeleine and Chris to open the Royal Palace at last year's National Day. If he didn't like him, he would not ask him at all. I watched all Victoria's Day Concert and I saw the King's positive reactions, attitudes and behaviours towards Chris. I do not see these at all towards to Daniel.

I know Chris's interview had upsetted lots of people,but I think maybe we can put ourselves in his shoes and stop expecting him to behave and speak like a Swedish. He will never be and this is what makes him unique. Madde marrys a British-American not a Swedish. If he is going to change himself completely 360degrees,Madde will divorce him immediately.

I think they are willing to give a live interview bcos they are grateful and thankful to some Swedish people who stand by their Princess and has supported and encouraged her all these years.

I will be looking forward to this interview.This couple is interesting and unique and there are people who are really curious about them, so I say,let's for once have an open and neutral mind, enjoy it.

I would like to Wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy and Peaceful year ahead.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Serene Highness

Do the Swedes have the feeling that they *know* who Christopher O'Neill is?
Old 12-04-2015, 10:22 AM
Courtier

Chris is a private citicen - and no citicen of Sweden; and Stockholm isn't London by no means in the World of Finances - you can compare London only with NY or maybe Frankfurt/Main or with the Asian hot-spots
Old 12-04-2015, 10:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Do the Swedes have the feeling that they *know* who Christopher O'Neill is?
Nope. But his crying at the wedding went a long way to accepting him. But other than that he's some rich buissness dude, that's all :P
Old 12-04-2015, 07:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The only thing I can think of is that Christopher grossly underestimated the ability to remain a private person when his wife and children are HRH's and Duke/Duchess.
What would or could be interesting is how they view this border themselves, I think it would create at least more understanding.

Legally he is indeed a private person whose business is no one's interest except his own, only I don't see how this can be combined with the practice of having a HRH wife and children. IMO it's practically impossible and they are truly unique and I dare even say isolated in royal Europe. There is no one else that holds the same position.

Would the general consensus have been better had Madeleine married Jonas Bergstrom?
Well there are a few spouses of blue bloods of Europe who work in the private sector. One is HRH Princess Astrid of Belgium's husband, Lorenz. He was born an Archduke of Austria-Este, and sometime after their marriage was also made a HRH Prince of Belgium. He works in private sector banking. I believe his elder son (and his heir to the Austria-Este Royal House) HR&IH Prince Amadeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este, also works in private sector banking. Also HSH Princess Caroline of Monaco's 1st and 2nd husbands were private businessmen. But I do remember QEII's d-i-l HRH The Countess of Wessex had give up her own business ventures because of comments she made to a client about personal details of BRF...the Queen was not amused.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Chris, by nature is an American. Wants to be a private person and do what he thinks are his plans for his future. He should have, fully, discussed this with his wife-to-be at that time. He is trapped in an anachronistic world he does not belong in. But, his wife feels an obligation to be part of. This is a terrible situation. They have to chose. Perhaps, when Princess Sofia has her child, they may be free from this obligation. I do not know. They should go back to New York.
Old 12-04-2015, 08:40 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Chris, by nature is an American. Wants to be a private person and do what he thinks are his plans for his future. He should have, fully, discussed this with his wife-to-be at that time. He is trapped in an anachronistic world he does not belong in. But, his wife feels an obligation to be part of. This is a terrible situation. They have to chose. Perhaps, when Princess Sofia has her child, they may be free from this obligation. I do not know. They should go back to New York.
I think Chris was born in London and raised in London and Switzerland. He went to uni in USA and holds dual British/US citizenship as his dad was an US citizen.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
They should go back to New York.
Chris and Madeleine moved to London, because Chris's work is in London now. During the last months they lived in New York, Chris travelled between New York and London.
In London they and their children are closer to the families of Chris and Madeleine. Yes, Chris's sisters from his father's side live in USA, but from everything we have seen, Chris isn't as close to them as to his mother and sisters from his mother's side.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Well there are a few spouses of blue bloods of Europe who work in the private sector. One is HRH Princess Astrid of Belgium's husband, Lorenz. He was born an Archduke of Austria-Este, and sometime after their marriage was also made a HRH Prince of Belgium. He works in private sector banking. I believe his elder son (and his heir to the Austria-Este Royal House) HR&IH Prince Amadeo of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este, also works in private sector banking. Also HSH Princess Caroline of Monaco's 1st and 2nd husbands were private businessmen. But I do remember QEII's d-i-l HRH The Countess of Wessex had give up her own business ventures because of comments she made to a client about personal details of BRF...the Queen was not amused.
That may be true, but the wives of these men all continue to serve their countries well (expect for Prince Amedeo perhaps, but he and his wife live a private life) and they did not relocate to another country because their husbands felt they could better serve their family there.

Madeleine is really unique, the HRH who follows her private husband to wherever he feels fit to live to serve his family and only returns to her home country for high profile engagements and the christenings of the children. I believe it gives a general feeling of too little.

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine