The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 07:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss whirley View Post
Yes, he has. He had the famous quote, "I am the only man in the country not allowed to give his name to his own children."

The great irony is that he wanted them to be known as Mountbatten, which is his mother's name. If he was such a fan of patrilineal rights he should of pushed for Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glcksburg. So his argument loses merit.

Sweden could always make an arrangement similar to the UK where the non-royal, male-line descendants use the patrilineal name. James Wessex's children will go by Mountbatten-Windsor, though I suspect that the Windsor will be dropped altogether. Nicolas' children could go by O'Neill-Bernadette.
Actually, I think Madeleine's children themselves should be named "Bernadotte-O'Neill" and shouldn't be members of the Royal House, just like Princess Margriet's children in the Netherlands, who are named "Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven".

Old 10-22-2015, 07:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Actually, I think Madeleine's children themselves should be named "Bernadotte-O'Neill" and shouldn't be members of the Royal House, just like Princess Margriet's children in the Netherlands, who are named "Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven".

It's actually against the Swedish law to have hyphenated surnames. If you choose to have two surnames the first one is classified as a middlename.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 10-22-2015, 07:33 AM
Courtier

Just for the record, men in Sweden don't automatically hand down their name to their children. If an unmarried couple have a child, that child is registered with the mothers name unless the parents actively make another choice (fathers name). Same thing with married couples with different surnames. Also, when a couple gets married here, they can chose to keep their names, take his or hers name, take an old family name or create a new name. So the whole thing with "men handing down their name to their children" isn't quite the tradition for everyone here in Sweden.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
It's actually against the Swedish law to have hyphenated surnames. If you choose to have two surnames the first one is classified as a middlename.
OK, drop the hyphen then and make it "Bernadotte O'Neill". Wasn't that the name BTW on Leonore's first passport ?
Old 10-22-2015, 07:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
Just for the record, men in Sweden don't automatically hand down their name to their children. If an unmarried couple have a child, that child is registered with the mothers name unless the parents actively make another choice (fathers name). Same thing with married couples with different surnames. Also, when a couple gets married here, they can chose to keep their names, take his or hers name, take an old family name or create a new name. So the whole thing with "men handing down their name to their children" isn't quite the tradition for everyone here in Sweden.
Interesting ! Has it ever been like that or is it a recent development ?
Old 10-22-2015, 07:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

I was assuming the kids would be brought up in the UK and would remain there when they had their own children.

Btw, how do the Swedes view Irish Surnames with apostrophes, like O'Neill. Do they make O the middle name and Neill the last name, or do they dump the apostrophe to make ONeill?
Old 10-22-2015, 07:38 AM
Serene Highness

Madeleine and Chris: Media Negativity and Public Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Interesting ! Has it ever been like that or is it a recent development ?
I googled it and apparently according to what I found its been illegal since 1963.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I googled it and apparently according to what I found its been illegal since 1963
The hyphen between the duble surnames, yes. But the whole thing with chosing freely what surname you want for the kids (and yourself) has been in place quite a while. I need to google that.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:51 AM
Courtier

I googled! :)

From 1963, the woman could chose to keep her last name when she got married. In 1982, the law was made totally gender neutral, meaning that the couple who got married could chose his or her name, a family name or a totally new one. This also affected childrens names.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Remember the Danish twins baptism when Fred took visiting relatives out in the evening? I think it is perfectly normal for the mother to stay home after the christening and reception, all exhausting, and the father to entertain whoever is visiting, in the evening.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:30 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you everyone for your recent posts on surname customs in Sweden. I really found that extremely interesting. Love learning current customs in other countries. Thank you again.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
It was reported by the media that the reception ended around 18.00 o'clock and there's pictures of Victoria, Daniel & Estelle leaving about that time. Reception over at 18 gives plenty of time for Chris to go out and have a dinner with his family.
I agree with everyone along these lines. The tabloids are stirring the pot. Chris and his family partied until 6:00 p.m. with everyone else until the reception was over, and then off they went to a pub leaving Madeleine free to rest. Makes sense to me. (Chris and his family sure have stamina! )

The point made that they could then just gab in English about family stuff is relevant. This criticism is really beyond the pale. Very intrusive imo. It's very clear that the couple are in love and have close family ties on both sides. Let it be, I say.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:31 PM
Courtier

Many European countries have basically the same laws as Sweden concerning last names, the 1st that comes to mind is France. Chris is not Swedish, first of all, he has dual British-American citizenship and has only resided in England or the US for his entire life. So surname laws in Sweden probably do not matter to him. I do not view PM as the "evil" sister, but an almost assuredly high maintenance wife. No matter how wealthy Chris is in his own right, it must be very stressful for him. Honestly I do not think this marriage will last, he may just stick around until his children are older so he can have a relationship with both (both+++) - he will stay until his children can form their own opinions about him and not be influenced by CG opinions.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grevinnan View Post
The article posted somehow managed to mash a whole afternoon of activities together to make it look as if the father of the baptized child just took off.

The baptism was at noon followed by a reception and then a lunch for family and friends. There is absolutely no reason to believe that Chris and his family were not present. He was seen dining out with his family in the evening. I am sure by that time Princess Madeleine were worn out and thankful to not have to do any more entertaining. If I were her I would be very grateful for Chris entertaining his family at a restaurant. She could then possible spend a few hours with her family before travelling back to London.
Thank you for this!

Knowing how the German tabloids like to throw dirt, I am somewhat surprised that Chris wasn't even given the benefit of the doubt.

One would naturally assume that there would be a reception after both of the Christenings and that both families would be there to eat, drink and be merry. I see nothing wrong, with Chris and his family after the celebration leaving the building so to speak, to go somewhere else to catch up.

Other than the tabloids there has been no indication that Chris doesn't get along with his in-laws. Since the SRF doesn't live a Big Brother kind of life, we don't know how he interacts with them...some of us are just guessing or all of sudden, interpreting pictures on a screen..not even real time.

There is also nothing wrong with stating that you are bread winner of your family. Since Madeleine's income is tied into her work with the SRF or her inheritance...the day to day maintenance is/will be financed by Chris.

Now we are speculating on his health, the length of his marriage, the name of his children, etc all because he wasn't willing to play the game and expose his very life to the SRF.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:15 AM
Courtier

Yes, all of here are speculating about the relationships of Chris, P Madeleine, and the rest of the SRF, but that is all we can do when considering this topic. And it is Chris' behavior/actions toward the media and his in-laws which indirectly throws fuel on the fire that encourages gossip directed toward him. Yes, people (=women) will wonder and gossip about what doesn't add up when all is said and done. It is NOT our business nor does it effect us in any way, but it is the nature of the beast and the pot will get stirred. We all have a gut instinct and it tells us something about this situation is not right. We may find out one day (or maybe not), but until then the plot thickens, courtesy of the tabloids and our discussions.👑🍻👑
Old 10-23-2015, 03:16 AM
Majesty

Well said. It seems that as far as Madeleine and Chris are concerned there is no moral or ethical law the paparazzi will not break and a fair chance that a few legal ones have been broken anyway.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:23 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
And it is Chris' behavior/actions toward the media and his in-laws which indirectly throws fuel on the fire that encourages gossip directed toward him.
I think giving the paps the finger when he was already engaged to Madeleine set the tone for the future relationship with the press. It's really a precedent - I can't recall any royal (or royalty-related like Chris) doing that.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:38 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Uhm... king Willem-Alexander had quite a few incidents with photographers over the years. It started with shooting elastics at them from the stairs of Soestdijk palace. In this he was joined by his brothers and cousins, something that Pss Beatrix did not appreciate too much. In 1990 he yelled at and hit photographer Joop van Tellingen (who used it as a badge of honour for the rest of his carreer & consequently became our most famous paparazzo) but also in the 2000s he yelled at the paparazzi's at various occassions (in New Zealand, Argentina and London IIRC). Prince Ernst-August of Hanover also got in a few fist fights with photographers.
Old 10-23-2015, 05:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Oh, yes, I forgot about EA of course! But its a difference whether this is done by a born royal or an commoner in-law. See CG and his escapades.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:42 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Swedish press continues with articles on a crisis between Madde/Chris/SRF:

The royal couple have had enough: they freeze out their son in law Chris. Madeleine feels alone and abandoned, says a source.
Kungaparets markering mot Chris | Stoppa Pressarna – Kungligheter – Kungafamiljen – Svensk Damtidning – Prinsessan Madeleine – Kronprinsessan Victoria

"Madeleine would return home". Madeleine does not want to live in London. The Princess only chose to move abroad for her husband Chris sake. She really wants to live in Sweden, says a source.
Madeleines svåra val | Stoppa Pressarna – Kungligheter – Kungafamiljen – Svensk Damtidning – Prinsessan Madeleine – Kronprinsessan Victoria

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine