The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Courtier

In all fairness, V, CP, and M, although siblings, are all completely different people. Madeleine figured out long ago (maybe post-Jonas) that she actually received more attention by trying to hide from the public. By hiding from public view, she makes herself seem more intriguing. V and CP are much more open about themselves. The more M hides about herself and her life, the more people wonder, and consequently the more attention she receives for being reclusive. As for Chris, he may just have wanted to spend time with his family, and maybe his family was not invited to celebrate Nicolas' christening with the royal family. Maybe...maybe...maybe...I have my own theory about Madde and Chris (3 more kids in the next 3 years? - if he stays that long) ...we will just have to wait and see. Nobody likes to be used. Of course, all of this is just my opinion.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:10 AM
Majesty

Chris shares a deep closeness with his mother and sisters, particularly Countess Natascha. Maybe he cherishes the opportunities to spend time alone with them getting caught up.

His life has changed since he became a member of the SRF.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:56 AM
Majesty

If the article is true and that's a big if, then one would have to wonder what on earth is wrong with Chris O'Neill and his family. After a baptism, there is invariably a family gathering to celebrate and to catch up with each other. Just because it is a royal baptism doesn't make it any different.

Chris's family was at the baptism so one would have to wonder at their sheer ill manned behaviour in isolating themselves from the celebration and then decamping to a pub. Now if they joined together for their own family reunion the evening before or after, that would have been fine.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:24 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
If the article is true and that's a big if, then one would have to wonder what on earth is wrong with Chris O'Neill and his family. After a baptism, there is invariably a family gathering to celebrate and to catch up with each other. Just because it is a royal baptism doesn't make it any different.

Chris's family was at the baptism so one would have to wonder at their sheer ill manned behaviour in isolating themselves from the celebration and then decamping to a pub. Now if they joined together for their own family reunion the evening before or after, that would have been fine.
I can't get worked up about this. As you point out, it may be a royal baptism but it's also just a baptism and issues and conflicts are going to arise just like in any family. Just because they are married doesn't mean Madeleine and Chris always have to be together at functions like this or that their respective families have to force themselves to mix together.

Maybe Chris doesn't really get on with some members of Madeleine's family. Maybe her family likes to always speak Swedish when they get together at family celebrations like this and Chris preferred to be with his own family speaking English. Maybe Madeleine's family hounds Chris about his choices and pesters him to learn Swedish and just generally gangs up on him. Maybe there has been some sort of illness or problem in his own family that he wanted to talk about with his family privately.

I don't think it necessarily follows that his family is ill-mannered because they chose to get together alone. They might be, of course, but I don't think it necessarily follows from the bare information we know, even if what we do know is true.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

The article posted somehow managed to mash a whole afternoon of activities together to make it look as if the father of the baptized child just took off.

The baptism was at noon followed by a reception and then a lunch for family and friends. There is absolutely no reason to believe that Chris and his family were not present. He was seen dining out with his family in the evening. I am sure by that time Princess Madeleine were worn out and thankful to not have to do any more entertaining. If I were her I would be very grateful for Chris entertaining his family at a restaurant. She could then possible spend a few hours with her family before travelling back to London.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Maybe Chris doesn't really get on with some members of Madeleine's family. Maybe her family likes to always speak Swedish when they get together at family celebrations like this and Chris preferred to be with his own family speaking English. Maybe Madeleine's family hounds Chris about his choices and pesters him to learn Swedish and just generally gangs up on him. Maybe there has been some sort of illness or problem in his own family that he wanted to talk about with his family privately.
Well if we're speculating why not complete the list with: maybe his family doesn't like her or vice-versa etc

Anyway, it's not a problem in itself, but the couple sure gives the media loads of opportunities to come up with stories...
Old 10-22-2015, 02:39 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Chris shares a deep closeness with his mother and sisters, particularly Countess Natascha. Maybe he cherishes the opportunities to spend time alone with them getting caught up.

His life has changed since he became a member of the SRF.
That's it though, I don't think Chris considers himself a member of the Swedish royal family. There seems to be no closeness between him and his in-laws, almost a nonexistent relationship. He does not like media attention, whereas PM does, though she would like everybody to believe otherwise. Because he refused royal title from CG, there is obviously more than meets the eye. Many theories can assumed, but as the years progress, the reason may become obvious. In the birth registry, he signed Leonore's heand Nicolas' last names as "Bernadotte." He may realize they will always be Bernadotte's first and foremost and that was probably not his decision. When all is said and done, he (and probably also P Daniel) will be left out if their marriages do not last. Must be very hard for a man not to be able to give his child his last name because of his wife's position in society. Just my opinions and thoughts on Chris Madde and family.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:53 AM
Majesty

Thank you, those are excellent points you made. For a proud father not to be able to pass on his name to his children must be a hard pill to swallow.

I am not quite sure if I believe that Chris actively dislikes his Royal in-laws and vice-versa, but I am satisfied with my privately held opinion that he does not feel particularly close to them.

And btw...Chris was not looking his best at the baby's christening. He looked bloated, puffy and tired...barely awake at times.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:06 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The reporters are a meter away of Victoria and Daniel in their trip in many places. They have seen in H&M how Daniel thinks if he would buy a cushion to home at Haga and Victoria looks clothes, or how Victoria and Daniel have been touched to meet the children with cancer. They have talked with Victoria and Daniel.
The same happened with Carl Philip and Sofia in Värmland and Dalarna. But with Madeleine that is not possible.
I really do not think it is any of the publics business to see what cushions prince Daniel buys.

For a monarchy to function well there needs to be some mystery and some distance. To keep the press away is not a bad tactic. QEII seldom gives an interview or comments in public for example. Queen Beatrix had the rule that her chit-chats with people are not allowed to be recorded by the press, neither are they to be quoted literally. The Swedish court has a different approach but the PR-disasters with esp. mr. Tennert show that at many times it is better not to comment at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade
After the christening, Chris took a taxi and left with HIS family, without Madeleine, to have a few glasses of wine. He spent the whole evening with his mother Eva O'Neill and sisters and brother in law Henry.
The christening was around noon, right? Since it is a christening and not a wedding I assume the party was over by the time it was evening. Unless Swedish christenings are wild events, which I doubt. That Chris took his family out in the evening (or before) doesn't seem so odd. In fact I am sure that many spouses would be thrilled if the other spouse would entertain the in-law house guests. I know that I would be.

The press is really idiotic in their campaign to portray Madeleine as the evil sister. I suppose it sells magazines. It also is an old topos, used many times before by the boulevard press. Most notable example being the dutiful QEII vs the spoiled Pss Margaret. A pity that people take it seriously, though it must be convenient for some who -in their fandom for the CPss of Sweden- think they should take every other member of the Bernadotte family down and seek fault and offense in any move these others make.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:50 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Not directed at D_o_M or anybody in particular:
The press is really idiotic in their campaign to portray Madeleine as the evil sister. I suppose it sells magazines. It also is an old topos, used many times before by the boulevard press. Most notable example being the dutiful QEII vs the spoiled Pss Margaret. A pity that people take it seriously though. I suppose that common sense doesn't suit those who in their fandom for the CPss of Sweden feel that they need to take every other member of the Bernadotte family down.
She's not being protrayed as the evil sister but as something between a glamour diva and a submissive wife dominated by Chris. I can mostly speak for german print tabloids, we have around 10-15 of them that appear weekly. Because of Silvia, the SRF is the monarchy that Germans rely mostly to, followed by the BRF. The rest is pretty stereotype after the ladies are too old for pregnancy now (MM lazy or esoteric, Letizia anorexic and fighting with her inlaws, Mary spending too much money, Maxima the happy glamour queen).

Because of the drama in the SRF and particulary Madeleine's life, the tabloids have had a field day for years now (the Jonas drama, running away, Chris' rude attitudes and rejecting the royal world) and both the SRF press department and Madeleine's lack of strategy in terms of what she wants to be, Mrs O Neill or a working Princess, and how she communicates it to the Swedes do not help the cause (imo both points are still the root of all problems). With press darling Sofia's arrival the whole Madeleine issue can be lifted to a whole new tabloid level (certainly they don't like each other) and the press makes most use of this because it sells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
And btw...Chris was not looking his best at the baby's christening. He looked bloated, puffy and tired...barely awake at times.
This is true and the pictures can easily be used to make him the bad or unpopular guy.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:47 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
This is true and the pictures can easily be used to make him the bad or unpopular guy.
I don't understand why Chris looking bloated and puffy or tired would make him the bad or unpopular guy. I'm not saying it's not true, just that I don't understand why people would draw that conclusion. I agree he does look like that, but I think he's always looked a bit that way. It's possible he looks tired at the moment because he's been getting up at night to look after his baby.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:19 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I don't understand why Chris looking bloated and puffy or tired would make him the bad or unpopular guy. I'm not saying it's not true, just that I don't understand why people would draw that conclusion. I agree he does look like that, but I think he's always looked a bit that way. It's possible he looks tired at the moment because he's been getting up at night to look after his baby.
Well, looks do make a difference to get an impression of somebody. When you know nothing about Chris and look at him in an unflattering photo, possibly followed up by the pictures where he is giving the paparazzi the finger, you have at least a negative vibe about him, worst case you decide that he is sleazy and unappealing. And to be honest, very often it works this way even in private life, you get an impression and and the image sticks.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:24 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

Maybe the family attended the reception at the Palace and then left on their own without Madeleine. I can"t imagine Christopher"s family missing the official reception if invited by the King and the Queen.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:29 AM
Majesty

Weirdly enough, I think Duke is on to something here. Has anyone else noticed that when Madeliene was pregnant she was very, very large and looked perpetually peeved/tired/etc. while Chris looked his usual debonair self.

Now at the Baptism, Madeleine looked fantastic and suddenly Chris did IMO look bloated/pasty/bored. I don't think it's too big a stretch of the imagination to think that photoshopping is alive and kicking in Sweden.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:37 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
That's it though, I don't think Chris considers himself a member of the Swedish royal family. There seems to be no closeness between him and his in-laws, almost a nonexistent relationship. He does not like media attention, whereas PM does, though she would like everybody to believe otherwise. Because he refused royal title from CG, there is obviously more than meets the eye. Many theories can assumed, but as the years progress, the reason may become obvious. In the birth registry, he signed Leonore's heand Nicolas' last names as "Bernadotte." He may realize they will always be Bernadotte's first and foremost and that was probably not his decision. When all is said and done, he (and probably also P Daniel) will be left out if their marriages do not last. Must be very hard for a man not to be able to give his child his last name because of his wife's position in society. Just my opinions and thoughts on Chris Madde and family.
Has Prince Philip ever complained about his children not having his last name ? Chris is hardly the first male consort of a royal to have to deal with this issue now that royal houses no longer seem to be recorded patrilineally.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:49 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Philip had a massive tantrum about the surname issue that the Queen finally acknowledged (famous gaffe: He was, he said, "nothing but a bloody amoeba").
Old 10-22-2015, 06:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Has Prince Philip ever complained about his children not having his last name ? Chris is hardly the first male consort of a royal to have to deeal with this issue now that royal houses no longer seem to be recorded patrilineally.
Yes, he has. He had the famous quote, "I am the only man in the country not allowed to give his name to his own children."

The great irony is that he wanted them to be known as Mountbatten, which is his mother's name. If he was such a fan of patrilineal rights he should of pushed for Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg. So his argument loses merit.

Sweden could always make an arrangement similar to the UK where the non-royal, male-line descendants use the patrilineal name. James Wessex's children will go by Mountbatten-Windsor, though I suspect that the Windsor will be dropped altogether. Nicolas' children could go by O'Neill-Bernadotte.
Old 10-22-2015, 06:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think Mbruno was being sarcastic in their response.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:06 AM
Courtier

It was reported by the media that the reception ended around 18.00 o'clock and there's pictures of Victoria, Daniel & Estelle leaving about that time. Reception over at 18 gives plenty of time for Chris to go out and have a dinner with his family.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-22-2015, 08:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Has Prince Philip ever complained about his children not having his last name ? Chris is hardly the first male consort of a royal to have to deeal with this issue now that royal houses no longer seem to be recorded patrilineally.
Yes! Just google it. It is in Wikipedia, quoted in various books, The Telegraph, DM. Pages of it. Just how vociferous depends on your tabloid of choice.

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine