Madeleine and Chris: Media and Public Opinion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Sweden, him being a "jetsetter" is bad enough. So wearing a Rolex is an eyesore. (I'm not saying I agree. Just stating the mentality)

Ah! That's very interesting. Thank you for those details.

Interesting. I have always thought that Tall Poppy Syndrome has a lot to do with the attitude of the high achiever: how they behave after achieving success. I think that here it is OK to be successful as long as you don't bung on airs and graces and start behaving as though you are better than everyone else just because you've got money. Successful people who don't flout their wealth and who don't desert their old mates just because they have climbed up the economic ladder aren't cut down. I don't think so, anyway. And though I am no expert on Chris and I may be wrong, I don't think he is a man who loudly and brazenly flaunts his success.

Nobody knows if he is a high achiever. He is a freelance banker, what he is doing for business remains intransparent, wears a rolex but doesnt pay his taxes on time, didn't want to become a swede and declined a title but now he plans to live in Sweden, its all not transparent and not straight forward for royal standards or what people expect from a member of a royal family. Even though Chris is not a member, people don't see him as much as a private person as Chris thought they would because cherry picking doesnt work (turning up to the high profile events only but the rest: no thank you). Its the intransparency and inconsistency of the way they lead their life that causes the controversy.

Nobody knows if he is a high achiever. He is a freelance banker, what he is doing for business remains intransparent, wears a rolex but doesnt pay his taxes on time, didn't want to become a swede and declined a title but now he plans to live in Sweden, its all not transparent and not straight forward for royal standards or what people expect from a member of a royal family. Even though Chris is not a member, people don't see him as much as a private person as Chris thought they would because cherry picking doesnt work (turning up to the high profile events only but the rest: no thank you). Its the intransparency and inconsistency of the way they lead their life that causes the controversy.
Very true, and a good summary!

I do think they should change their pr-strategy, even if they aren't what disturbs me the most in the SRF.
However Chris's father was a very rich man and I don't have any doubt in believing he can afford luxuries such as Rolex. He has always been part of a certain world. He wouldnt even have met M., if he werent.
About the transparency, what he does and the kind of investment he makes shouldn't be public. It's the general rule in the banking and financial world.

I do think they should change their pr-strategy, even if they aren't what disturbs me the most in the SRF.
However Chris's father was a very rich man and I don't have any doubt in believing he can afford luxuries such as Rolex. He has always been part of a certain world. He wouldnt even have met M., if he werent.
About the transparency, what he does and the kind of investment he makes shouldn't be public. It's the general rule in the banking and financial world.
I agree. They don't disturb me so much either. Just that he makes her "eat the cookie and have it too" image get even stronger.

I agree. They don't disturb me so much either. Just that he makes her "eat the cookie and have it too" image get even stronger.

This I agree. I imagine that if she really plans to stay in Sweden permanently, she should work more after the maternity leave.
She should have more events and more patronages. She can't go on like she did in the USA.

Very well written. Madeleine and the court should have (or maybe they already had after the Gävle mess) a long talk about her PR-strategy.
Madeleine will be attending at the official dinner on Wednesday, but she didn't attend at the funeral of Peter Wallenberg last week. The king said on his statement that "Peter was a close and loyal friend of the royal family". Everyone else of the family attended at the funeral, Madeleine didn't. It would have been a good move for her to attend too.

Very well written. Madeleine and the court should have (or maybe they already had after the Gävle mess) a long talk about her PR-strategy.
Madeleine will be attending at the official dinner on Wednesday, but she didn't attend at the funeral of Peter Wallenberg last week. The king said on his statement that "Peter was a close and loyal friend of the royal family". Everyone else of the family attended at the funeral, Madeleine didn't. It would have been a good move for her to attend too.
Oh, she didn't?...... Sigh...

(Btw, I don't know if we are OT. If we are, could a mod please move this to their general discussion thread)

I'm feeling very uncomfortable about all this. I feel as though Chris is being bullied, though I'm not quite sure who is bullying him; it could even be that Madeleine is the one doing the bullying.

I'm feeling very uncomfortable about all this. I feel as though Chris is being bullied, though I'm not quite sure who is bullying him; it could even be that Madeleine is the one doing the bullying.
Huh? How come? (I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't see it)

Yes, he is being pushed into it.. But the alternative is her being pushed away from it.. It wouldn't work for long this arrangement they have now. So one of them have to compromise. It seems their choice is for Chris to compromise more... Right or not, it's their decision.

You are absolutely right, I have absolutely no idea why Chris is being hunted. He is a private citizen, albeit the son-in-law of the King.

You are absolutely right, I have absolutely no idea why Chris is being hunted. He is a private citizen, albeit the son-in-law of the King.
I don't think Chris himself is being hunted. Just in accosiation to Madeleine. How his work impacts the image of her homelife. How all his "bad" attributes seems to be similar to Madeleine (Smoking, party, spending money) and in that way enhances hers. (Yes, they both have good qualities. That's not what I'm saying). Many people didn't like that Madeleine was a party princess that moved away to the US only to do the bare minimum. And when she married Chris and he didn't take a title all this just got enhanced. The "have the cake and eat it too" that she has been accused of, he made similar choices. So I myself don't blame him, but realize the impact this has on Madeleine's image.

I don't think Chris is being bullied at all. Before he wed Madde, he could do what he wanted, when he wanted, with whomever he wanted. That is no longer the case. He may be balking simply because he can't call ALL the shots any longer.

He is married to the member of the royal family. Although he is a private citizen, he attends at the official events with his wife and the press writes about him then. The press sees him like a celebrity or a public person, and thinks that they can write about him. And he isn't helping his and Madeleine's situation at all. He messed by involving Madeleine into his businesses in a way that wasn't right according to the court policy for the members of the royal family. He corrected it, when the press found out the whole thing and there were big articles. But that made the press even more interested in him and his businesses. And that he went against Bunte about the honeymoon photos, made Bunte angry to him and dig his life and businesses as much as they can.

I think that's the theory or legally speaking. Practically I think it's impossible to be a private citizen while being married to a princess/having a daughter far up in the line of succession. IMO its incompatible since Chris has to join his wife's world eg for high profile events, photoshootings etc what puts him into the spotlight. If he was consequent, he'd decline these events as well. Plus, what he does in his private life is interesting to the media.

I think that's the theory or legally speaking. Practically I think it's impossible to be a private citizen while being married to a princess/having a daughter far up in the line of succession. IMO its incompatible since Chris has to join his wife's world eg for high profile events, photoshootings etc what puts him into the spotlight. If he was consequent, he'd decline these events as well. Plus, what he does in his private life is interesting to the media.
I agree. He doesn't get her royal status (which can be regulated) but he get's her celebrity status and that is a whole other thing.

I don't think he is bullied, but it's quite obvious he is treated worse than other persons linked to the SRF.
Also while Chris made some mistakes,the SRF didnt' help at all. They should have helped him more. The press made also issues about things that in the finance world aren't issues at all. It seems they just want to create a scandal.

I don't even think he could avoid all the events, even if he wanted to. If he had chosen not to attend the Noble, people would have complained anyway.

A column by Lars Ragnar Forssberg in HelaHälsingland, a newspaper at Madeleine's other duchy Hälsingland. Forssberg is a journalist and author, seen as rather radical. He published his column yesterday, but writes about Madeleine's visit to Gävle.

An unnecessary Duchess of Hälsingland?
He highlights once again that the royal family is on taxpayers' payroll.
"We finance the royal family through our taxes. The court and Princess Madeleine are on our payroll. This means that we have the right to ask elementary requirement of royal family members. If Madeleine finds it hard to meet people in the provinces, which have got her as duchess, she can stay home".
En onödig hertiginna av Hälsingland - helahalsingland.se
Translation

There is a lot of work to do for the royal family and press department of the court. They must think again in what way they visit their duchies and other provinces in Sweden. The royal family can't afford more disasters like this. The world has changed and nowadays people demand more from the royal family. And like Forssberg writes, when a royal comes to a visit to the duchy, there is a big crowd of people working for that the visit can be done well.

Last edited:
I don't think he is bullied, but it's quite obvious he is treated worse than other persons linked to the SRF.\
Also while Chris made some mistakes,the SRF didnt' help at all. They should have helped him more. The press made also issues about things that in the finance world aren't issues at all. It seems they just want to create a scandal.

I don't even think he could avoid all the events, even if he wanted to. If he had chosen not to attend the Noble, people would have complained anyway.
Very good points, but wow, don't know what's going on here except that their is constant nagging and criticism of Madeleine who, let's be fair here, is pregnant. Perhaps the reason she didn't attend the funeral was that she was not feeling well. Perhaps fatigue had frozen her smile on the visit to her Duchy and she saved all the smiles for those who live there? We don't know!

I am no fan of the way Madeleine behaved prior to her marriage, but neither do I understand the snide comments about Chris and Madeleine's Manhatten home. Rolexes? Whose business is it but Chris and Madeleine. For all people were not impressed by the amount of "bang for their buck" from Madeleine in NY, it is still none of our business what Chris's income is or if his accountant/financial adviser paid his bills on time and where and with whom his money is invested.

In all fairness, I do not believe the King CG sits down and writes the cheques that pay their domestic bills, nor do I think that Victoria or Daniel do either, becuase that is what they employ and hansomely reward qualified people to do for them. Chris and Maddie are the same. For all the royal bits leaking into Chris's world, it still does not make him a royal nor does his marriage entitle the people of Sweden or anywhere else, to have full access to his financial situation. They don't even have that with King CG!

As I have said, I have not been a particular supporter of Madeleine but I do believe in fair play and at the moment it seems to be a very uneven playing field. A small company wails about not getting an "Interview" and suddenly this is all a humongous scandal? Comments of Sofia speaking breathlessly about how CP's family have accepted her, do not equate to "interviews" nor do I expect either she or Carl Philip to give them much in the future. Victoria and Daniel seem to have a degree of control over their interaction with the media, but I believe that is in large part give and take and a degree of willingness for the media to "keep them sweet".

Finally, on balance it seems to me that Chris is indeed being bullied and Madeleine to a lesser degree. Fra85 is right, the SRF have done little to help although with their glaring PR ineptitude, perhaps that is not a such a bad thing.

I fear that the intense media pressure will eventually doom this marriage,and I'm sorry about that. I have always sensed Chris's temper regarding the media bubbling just under the surface. No, he did not pay his taxes on time, and she's not a very hard worker, but I don't think they're horrible people. When the media can't find anything to write about, they make up things. It's untenable.

Very good points, but wow, don't know what's going on here except that their is constant nagging and criticism of Madeleine who, let's be fair here, is pregnant. Perhaps the reason she didn't attend the funeral was that she was not feeling well. Perhaps fatigue had frozen her smile on the visit to her Duchy and she saved all the smiles for those who live there? We don't know!

Victoria and Daniel seem to have a degree of control over their interaction with the media, but I believe that is in large part give and take and a degree of willingness for the media to "keep them sweet".

It would have looked better if Madeleine's attendance to the funeral of a family friend would have been put to the calendar, to show that she is going to attend. If she then would have had to cancel due to her pregnancy, the court could have said that the princess is very sorry that she didn't feel well enough to attend. Now one sees it that she didn't want to attend at a funeral of a family friend. It doesn't look good, especially when the press pointed out that Victoria and Daniel cancelled their official visit to Jämtland to attend at the funeral.
Despite of her pregnancy, Madeleine could attend at the 7-hour long Nobel ceremonies, the king's dinner for the Laureates and at the solemn gathering of the Swedish Academy, all white tie events.

Madeleine is not a teenager anymore, she is 32-year old woman, who can think herself. She could have attended at some short event of the Holocaust memorial day to show that she does the "normal" work of the royal family, not just family celebrations and glamorous events. She has to get out of the cherry picking image.

That Victoria and Daniel have good relationship with the media, is because they are working with the media. For instance, Daniel gave interviews to large group of media at least on 12 of his solo work days last year.
And last year Victoria got a lot of positive press because she worked normally although she had crutches.

That Victoria and Daniel are doing a good job, isn't negative for Madeleine. She should just find her own role and own way to do her job as a member of the Royal Family. For Carl Philip it is the military events, sport, art, the cuisine and now also dyslexia. And Madeleine should find a way to deal with the media too.

And Chris should stay out of any financial trouble.

Last edited:
Why would the attendance of a private funeral be on the official calendar? It would not make sense at all.

Is the cherry picking image one that the princess has in Sweden or is it as you perceive her official duties? The comment of her attending the Nobel prizes during her 1st pregnancy while not attending a private funeral during her 2nd pregnancy supposedly is proof of this cherry picking? I am sure that you are familiar with the fact that each pregnancy is different, and sometimes each day during a pregnancy can be different.

As she is not a teenager any longer & has not been one for quite some time - she will understand that she has to comply with the wishes of the court. As the court had prince Daniel attending a Holocaust event in Sweden, it would not be wise to send Madeleine there too, or for her to pay a spontanious visit -as you imply that she should have done. I am sure if she went that some would have blamed her for 'stealing attention' away from the Holy Trinity of Haga.

The risk of being in business is that you may get into financial trouble, that is one of the reasons why they earn more money. If staying out of financial trouble was a requirement the court should have forbidden the wedding to a businessman and made sure she married a librarian.

Last edited:
It would have looked better if Madeleine's attendance to the funeral of a family friend would have been put to the calendar, to show that she is going to attend. If she then would have had to cancel due to her pregnancy, the court could have said that the princess is very sorry that she didn't feel well enough to attend. Now one sees it that she didn't want to attend at a funeral of a family friend. It doesn't look good, especially when the press pointed out that Victoria and Daniel cancelled their official visit to Jämtland to attend at the funeral.
Despite of her pregnancy, Madeleine could attend at the 7-hour long Nobel ceremonies, the king's dinner for the Laureates and at the solemn gathering of the Swedish Academy, all white tie events.

Madeleine is not a teenager anymore, she is 32-year old woman, who can think herself. She could have attended at some short event of the Holocaust memorial day to show that she does the "normal" work of the royal family, not just family celebrations and glamorous events. She has to get out of the cherry picking image.

That Victoria and Daniel have good relationship with the media, is because they are working with the media. For instance, Daniel gave interviews to large group of media at least on 12 of his solo work days last year.
And last year Victoria got a lot of positive press because she worked normally although she had crutches.

That Victoria and Daniel are doing a good job, isn't negative for Madeleine. She should just find her own role and own way to do her job as a member of the Royal Family. For Carl Philip it is the military events, sport, art, the cuisine and now also dyslexia. And Madeleine should find a way to deal with the media too.

I've never been pregnant but from what I understand from friends and family members is each pregnancy is different. So perhaps standing for 7 hours at a Nobel ceremony for her first pregnancy wasn't a big deal but she wasn't feel well enough to attend the funeral of a family friend. Does she need to produce a doctor's note to get a pass:ermm:

Furthermore, Chris is an investment banker...of course one wants to stay out of financial trouble particularly if you want to make money for your clients and/or commission for your self. I don't think anyone seeks financial trouble. That's a rather odd statement to make IMO.

I think that if she can confirms her attendance to an event and then cancels last minute than the media would be right in critisising her.....even if she cancelled her Gavle event the criticism would have been called for....but all this halabu for not giving an interview is just stupid IMO ....she did visit her province she posed for photos, she met the local children and organisations and that shows that she cares not talking about it and again she has given many interviews her most recent ones being to SVT and glamour magazine its not like there isn't anything....besides she does have 'her calling' just like the Queen she is very passionate about children in need suffering injustice her work with childhood, Minstoradag , and other organisations prove this as do her visits to China, South Africa, Brazil , Taxes, Ukraine and other counties

Last edited:
I think that if she can confirms her attendance to an event and then cancels last minute than the media would be right in critisising her.....even if she cancelled her Gavle event the criticism would have been called for....but all this halabu for not giving an interview is just stupid IMO ....she did visit her province she posed for photos, she met the local children and organisations and that shows that she cares not talking about it and again she has given many interviews her most recent ones being to SVT and glamour magazine its not like there isn't anything....besides she does have 'her calling' just like the Queen she is very passionate about children in need suffering injustice her work with childhood, Minstoradag , and other organisations prove this as do her visits to China, South Africa, Brazil , Taxis, Ukraine and other counties

Sorry I disagree. If you make a commitment to attend something and if something legitimate happens and you can't attend...as long as you give ample notice...you don't deserve to be criticized for it. I recognize that sometimes a lot goes into planning an event, but this was the funeral of a friend. If she is has a legitimate reason for not going [i.e. she is not well because she is pregnant] than she gets a pass. It's not like she canceled her appearance and was caught chilling at the beach or the mall. Maybe...despite the fact that she has a nanny...her daughter got sick and she wanted to stay home with her. Would that be okay....
Do we want her to jeopardize the health of her baby or herself because people wont give her a break.

She is not perfect and has certainly straddled the line but as we don't know why she canceled, if she didn't personally called the family to let them know she wouldn't be in attendance but they were in her thoughts and prayers, than we should cut her some slack.

Last edited:
Sorry I disagree. If you make a commitment to attend something and if something legitimate happens and you can't attend...as long as you give ample notice...you don't deserve to be criticized for it. I recognize that sometimes a lot goes into planning an event, but this was the funeral of a friend. If she is has a legitimate reason for not going [i.e. she is not well because she is pregnant] than she gets a pass. It's not like she canceled her appearance and was caught chilling at the beach or the mall. Maybe...despite the fact that she has a nanny...her daughter got sick and she wanted to stay home with her. Would that be okay....
Do we want her to jeopardize the health of her baby or herself because people wont give her a break.

She is not perfect and has certainly straddled the line but as we don't know why she canceled, if she didn't personally called the family to let them know she wouldn't be in attendance but they were in her thoughts and prayers, than we should cut her some slack.
Yes your comment is very valid, perhaps I didn't express myself clearly I meant that if they make her calender full for the sake of appearances and then she cancels them repeatedly there would be a lot of criticism and perhaps it would be justified, therefore if if they add tmrws event today instead of 3 weeks ago there'll be a greater chance of her attending and therefore a better way of the dealing with the media ....Ofc if an emergency does come up her top priority is her health and her family

Yes your comment is very valid, perhaps I didn't express myself clearly I meant that if they make her calender full for the sake of appearances and then she cancels them repeatedly there would be a lot of criticism and perhaps it would be justified, therefore if if they add tmrws event today instead of 3 weeks ago there'll be a greater chance of her attending and therefore a better way of the dealing with the media ....Ofc if an emergency does come up her top priority is her health and her family

And yes, that makes perfect sense.

Madeleine like many royal spare is in a precarious position living in a social media dominated world.

She is young, rich, pampered and there is a lot of interest in her...what she does...what she wears...who she marries...does she earn her keep. I get that if she receives money from the Swedish taxpayer than the Swedish tax payers should get their moneys worth. Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to do the odd interview or two but let's face it....she doesn't like press..and honestly, I am not sure if I blame her.

She marries someone who doesn't want a title [he just wants her], doesn't asked to be supported by the Swedish tax payer, has a little financial issues and somehow he is being treated like he is Bernie Madoff and he has stolen millions of dollars.

I do agree with others have said about Chris. He thought he could separate the personal Madeleine from the princess Madeleine and remain a private person. Why wouldn't it work...it worked for the Haga Princesses. Except they didn't live in a dominated social media where everyone feels the need to comment about everything and know everything.

But here is the main thing about Madeleine and Chris. She is NOT Victoria and Christopher is NOT Daniel. Victoria is the future Queen of Sweden not Madeleine. So this constant references what Victoria and Daniel do and/or say makes no difference. They have different roles and they are different people. Daniel is the future Prince Consort of Sweden..Christopher is just a guy who married the Princess of Sweden. They have accepted it....I don't know what its so hard for others to do so the same. Her essential purpose is to support the Swedish monarch, whether its her father or in the future, her sister. I wouldn't be surprised if Madeleine isn't/wasn't counting on the interest in her life to lessen. I imagine it will in the next 10 to 20 years...I hope she and Chris can hold on until then.

I agree. People feel that Madeleine is a princess, but she is only in it half-hearted. She's cherry-picking, taking the best out of both worlds. Chris is clearly not as media-savy as he thought he was and he is out of his depth handling the royal matter that he now has to deal with as private person.

They need a clear strategy for their lives and for the media to communicate it, otherwise I am afraid I have to agree with GG and there will be an longterm damage to the marriage.

It seems they have a clear strategy:

- Chris is continuing his business. He refused a title because of that. It doesn't get much bclearer than that.

-Madeleine has the occuassional public duty -not much less than her brother BTW.

I can't see what should be more clear

==

How is she 'cherry picking'? Or how is her approach different than that of f.e. Prince Constantijn or his wife,
who also 'cherry pick' the causes that interest them.

Quite frankly, the main reason why the princess is critisized seems to be because the press and some fans need a bad sister next to the good sister, the crown princess. Of course Madeleine married an 'evil' banker, a foreigner no less, and she moved abroad (how dare she). So she has become an easy target.

Why she actually wants to go back to Sweden is more of a mystery than why she doesn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom