The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
He has simply underestimated what he was getting into, the same goes for his wife too.
Its difficult enough marrying a person from a different world if you are willing to adapt to the other person's world but if you are unwilling to (and this seems to be the case for both) it gets really difficult.
But how do we know that Madeleine and Chris are unwilling to adapt? It could be that in their minds they have indeed adapted to one another's world. Chris agreed(perhaps reluctantly) to allow his children to be titled and in the line of Succession. He agrees to marry Madeleine in her own country, in her own religious tradition, without even a Catholic priest present at the ceremony. He agrees to leave NYC, a city he has stated that he loves.

She in turn continues to perform her essential duties as a Princess of Sweden while permitting her non-Royal husband the freedom to decide the extent that he will be a part of her ceremonial life.

I see no difficulty for the couple, they seem to have adapted in a way that they feel comfortable with. On the contrary the only difficulty is coming from certain segments of the Swedish press who frankly have never seemed able to warm up to Princess Madeleine's husband.

It's already been established that the Swedish public is indifferent on the subject of Chris O'Neill. So the only "adjusting" here needs to be done by the press.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Princess Benedikte's children are not in the Danish line of succession either, officially because they were not raised in Denmark even though, as far as I know, there is no explicit provision in the Danish Act of Succession actually excluding people from the royal succession on those grounds.
There isn't.

To be a Danish monarch (assuming in this case you are in the Line of Succession) you need to be a Lutheran. (The monarch is head of the state church). You need to be a Danish citizen and you must sign a pledge to obey the Constitution. - And of course be suitable. I.e. not a criminal and not insane.
In order to be a Rigsforstander (appointed regent) you don't even have to be a Lutheran.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:51 PM
Nobility

1. I really believe the gossiping press bears responsibilty
2. it is surely difficult for Chris to adapt to life in Stockholm without a fair knowledge of Swedish
3. it would probably have been wiser to settle straight in London as a compromise between the aspirations of both.
4. press found an ideal topic for pathetic gossiping.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:42 PM
Serene Highness

I think, as another posted picked up before, the couple don't seem massively eager to be interviewed or interact with the press. In this regard I think Chris simply doesn't like the media attention so dislikes doing interviews, the few times I heard him speak he seemed quite nice and confident but maybe its a case of once bitten twice shy and as a couple they don't want to interact with media after all the (often negative) attention they've had.
Other members of the RF seem to just grin and bear it and eventually get past the negative reports by appearing to the media, talking to them and being upbeat.
I also agree that it wouldn't be so bad if the Court made it clear Chris will only appear at a few events a year. To me the problem is the Court constantly saying one thing, the media criticising it and then the Court doing the opposite to try and please the media.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne2 View Post
2. it is surely difficult for Chris to adapt to life in Stockholm without a fair knowledge of Swedish
I know several people (mostly in academia) who went to study or work in Swedish universities and didn't speak Swedish, but nonetheless were able to get by fairly well speaking English only. After a while and, of course, putting some effort to it, they were able to learn some Swedish, but, still, don't speak it well. Chris apparently didn't even try. He simply decided he wanted nothing to do with Sweden or the Swedish people.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I know several people (mostly in academia) who went to study or work in Swedish universities and didn't speak Swedish, but nonetheless were able to get by fairly well speaking English only. After a while and, of course, putting some effort to it, they were able to learn some Swedish, but, still, don't speak it well. Chris apparently didn't even try. He simply decided he wanted nothing to do with Sweden or the Swedish people.
Actually Chris in their post-wedding interview to " Hello" mentioned he tried to learn Swedish, but appeared not to be very good at learning languages.

Of course, it isn't an excuse.

But maybe he and Charlene of Monaco are just not so great and very slow at learning foreign langauages, and are ashamed to speak it, and it's not their great fault.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

I feel for Chris. As an outsider, I have got the impression from the beginning that he wishes to be Madeleine's husband only. He attends weddings and christening, these are family events. I don't know where this expectation for him to attend duties with his wife came from! He took no titles, receives no public money, why should be live in Sweden and attend public events?
He is clearly an independent man who has his own businesses and wishes to continue in his chosen fields. I am sure he has been clear on that from the start with Madeleine and the King.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:53 PM
Heir Apparent

See Muhler it's not just people living in America who think like crm2317....

LaRae
Old 06-09-2015, 07:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
See Muhler it's not just people living in America who think like crm2317....

LaRae
True.

But that's not what I said.
I said Americans might have a better understanding of how Chris feel and think than continental Europeans.
And to narrow it down even further: Predominantly Americans living in the bigger cities.

There is IMO a cultural or social, not clash, but difference in play here. I.e. That Chris believed (naively IMO) that he could opt to stay off the royal road show. And that no one would mind.
I mean, in what alternative universe can you marry a prominent royal from a functioning monarchy and remain a private person?
Of course people are interested in who Madeleine married and of course people will be interested in this little family. That this thread is so active is a testament to that fact.
So as others have suggested today: Feed the lions a bone once in a while.
Basically all Chris has to do every six months or so, is to sit with a child on his lap and be a doting dad, and let Madeleine do the talking. - He may hate it, but it won't kill him.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:

It's not uncommon for foreigners in Sweden to say that they have a hard time learning Swedish because as soon as the natives realise they're foreigners they switch to English.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-09-2015, 09:02 PM
Serene Highness

A bird and a fish may love each other but where do they build a home?

They tried Living as regular new York Socialites and they could not make it work evidently with her status, duties,Etc. and Now they are in Sweden where we can reasonably surmise he is not really finding a compromise between public expectations/being a princesses husband and business/being a regular person... So now they will go to Britain and try from there?

Someone has got to bend for this to work in my opinion.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
True.

I said Americans might have a better understanding of how Chris feel and think than continental Europeans.
And to narrow it down even further: Predominantly Americans living in the bigger cities.

There is IMO a cultural or social, not clash, but difference in play here. I.e. That Chris believed (naively IMO) that he could opt to stay off the royal road show. And that no one would mind.
I mean, in what alternative universe can you marry a prominent royal from a functioning monarchy and remain a private person?
Of course people are interested in who Madeleine married and of course people will be interested in this little family. That this thread is so active is a testament to that fact.
Basically all Chris has to do every six months or so, is to sit with a child on his lap and be a doting dad, and let Madeleine do the talking. - He may hate it, but it won't kill him.

I do agree it's a social/cultural difference. I mean even if Chris is an Anglo whatever (living here and in the UK both) it's not like the SRF has a high profile among the general population outside Sweden other than perhaps Finland and Norway. Perhaps he viewed Sweden/SRF more like Lux etc.

Maybe he thought Maddie's far enough down the line of succession it won't make much difference and who knows what was actually discussed...perhaps the SRF didn't think it would really matter either if he shows up or not.

I have seen all the media stuff but I have yet to see that the average Swede is upset about Chris not attending the events. If the media there is anything like here then perception is not the same as reality.

LaRae
Old 06-09-2015, 09:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
True.

I think you hit the nail on the head here Muhler. Americans do not have the media telling them what events they should appear at [unless running for political office] and even if they marry into Royal family, they feel their life is still there own personal one if they opt out of receiving a title and changing citizenship. I personally can't begin to fathom having someone I didn't personally know find fault with my social life no matter who I married. Just not done. Probably because having royalty in this country is so foreign to us. We will honor position not just birth. I also was recently told that the law has not changed and an American Citizen cannot accept any foreign title [only honorary which means nothing]

Now I enjoy reading about most of the royals, but sad to say I am the only one in my family or any American friends that do. Most think I am silly to bother.

I would have to think that the Queen would have lectured Chris on all the pit-falls but apparently both king and queen saw no problem. All good parents would never want their children to have problems that could be avoided in the beginning of their marriages. I guarantee that deep down all this nonsense [in his eyes] gripes Chris on his invasion of privacy. But as a well brought up person [I hear, don't know first hand] he will keep that feeling out of public eye and just get on with it.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
True.

Chris has reminded people on more than one occasion that he's British, not American. But I'm just quibbling here as I understand and largely agree with your overall point; the Manhattanite, whether born there or those who have made their home there are a special breed (no matter where they were born). I know them well - and while they'll travel the globe or the galaxy they really can't live anywhere else.

If Chris is one of these people, then what the heck were the two thinking? They could have made it work, but once it was decided that the children would have the HRH, then his fate was sealed.

I don't known what is true or what is just idle chatter, but if Chris really hates Sweden, and his children must be raised there, the couple are really in a pickle.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with the above post. They are in a pickle.

However I seem to disagree with many posters when I say that Madeleine is the problem and not Chris.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Are the Swedish people looking forward to the birth of the second child or does it not care about it?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:12 AM
Serene Highness

Madeleine and Chris: Media Negativity and Public Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Are the Swedish people looking forward to the birth of the second child or does it not care about it?

It's no way near as big as it would have been if it was a 2:nd child of V and D but I think many people look forward to it for the sake of Madelene and Chris's happiness and a new royal christening to read about but without saying that in public. People love to blackmail and criticize the royals but when it comes to glittering royal events on television, people loves to watch, be happy and half the country almost turns to royalists even if it's just for a day :-D

In Sweden you are almost excpected to not say positive things about the royals in public. It is okay to love them and opinion polls shows every time that most people do love them and don't want to change it to a Republic but you should keep it for yourself (yes we are a country full of double standards 😂&#128545.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:20 AM
Majesty

I'm with Muhler on this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler
The only difference being the extent of Chris's naivety.

I have always been of the opinion that Chris had no idea what he was getting himself into by marrying Madeleine, after all, she lived and worked in NY just like him. I truly believe that Chris thought Madeleine's position as a Princess of Sweden was much the same as his sister's as Countess Natascha von Abensberg-Traun. Old money, old title. Sounds good, means little.

He wasn't required to be involved in "planning" his wedding. Mostly just providing his "guest list" and such. The big royal wedding machine has its own cogs and wheels and requires very little grease. Then suddenly its the day before the wedding and the place is overrun with the great, the good and the royal. Hello, didn't think it was quite that big a deal, but okay, getting married tomorrow, honeymoon and home . . . to NY. Done and dusted.

IMO the scope and depth of his blissful ignorance didn't hit home until the wheels fell off his idyll with Madeleine's somewhat unexpected pregnancy less than three months after their marriage.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:57 AM
Nobility

People Magazine, which I think is the largest and best-known celebrity magazine in the U.S., did an article on Sweden's National Day and then did a follow up article on Chris' absence. The article is not negative, mostly background on Madeline and Chris' relationship and Chris turning down a royal title, but I think it is interesting that they did publish a separate article.

Swedish Royal Family in Traditional Dress 2015 Photos : People.com
Princess Madeleine's Husband Christopher O'Neill Absent from Royal Swedish Photo : People.com
Old 06-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Except for the " it was obvious he didn't enjoy Sweden" quote from the royalty reporter it seems like that it is a pretty straightforward article. The tone of both of the articles is a little condescending like "look at this get up of these royals that we didn't even know about! Typical of any royal coverage non brf or Monaco royals in usa

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine