The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 05:02 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree with the Court's pro-active attitude. That there is Freedom of Speech ("We all are Charlie") does not give a free ticket for publishing the most indiotic nonsense and insults.

Also the Dutch Court is active in this. Already when a magazine wrote that the (young) Prince of Orange was seen with a blondine in an Amsterdam hotel, his late father Prince Claus started a lawsuit (which he won as the magazine really sucked the story out of their thumb). I think that the Swedish and Dutch Court are anxious that people might think: "Hmmm... where smoke is, there must be fire..." even when the story was lied from A to Z and from Z to A.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think that the court just wants to send a warning, there has been a lot negative and mean articles about Chris at gossip magazines Hänt Extra and Hänt i Veckan and as far as I know, the court hasn't reacted. The court wants that there would not be negative articles before the wedding and birth of Madeleine's child.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Maybe he doesnt but obviously the court does, otherwise they wouldn't comment or explain or complain about press' comments. Stories about Chris have a negative vibe, hence the title of this thread.
Sure it does. Because the court hasn't sat down and defined clearly what role Chris is to have in the SRF. I.e. very limited.

AFAIK Chris has not said that he intends to have an active role in connection with the SRF, he doesn't even have a royal title.
Could it be handled better by Chris? - Probably.
Can I understand if the Swedes feel a bit snubbed, also on behalf of the SRF? - Yes! I would probably feel a little snubbed too if I was Swedish. Or rather disrespected as a Swede.
But has Chris not stuck to what he has said from the beginning? I.e. that he is not a member of the SRF
Should he take into consideration that he did marry a princess? - Yes. If Sweden, the SRF and royalty really means anything to him.
Well, he can hardly be accused of being a hypocrite if I'm right.

I think he thinks of himself first and foremost as Mr. Chris O'Neil who happens to be married to a princess. But all that royalty-stuff that's wifey's department.

It's basically a PR issue. The SRF has been badly advised in not making it absolutely clear the Chris is not a part of the show.
Whether that is because Madeleine can't figure out what her role is in regards to the SRF in the future, or whether the SRF doesn't inform their PR office about anything or whether they just send out confused signals is anyone's guess.
One thing is for sure, I'd say. they can't force Chris to become a working royal, that'll just lead to a divorce IMO.

But let's turn it around. Permit me to be the devil's advocate: Has the Swedish press and the Swedish public been fair towards Chris and Madeleine from the beginning?
It seems to me, and correct me if I'm wrong, that the press and the public were very critical towards Madeleine to begin with and once it dawned on the public that Chris refused the title as royal and basically shunned the press as much as he could, and on top intend only to take only a very limited part in the events of the SRF then the Swedish press and public felt snubbed big time and now Chris and Madeleine can't do anything right?
Old 05-28-2015, 05:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I think its a reaction of the press of Madeleine's attitude during her escape to NY and what followed, when she snubbed the swedish public, press and cancelled events.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I think its a reaction of the press of Madeleine's attitude during her escape to NY and what followed, when she snubbed the swedish public, press and cancelled events.
Payback? That's pretty childish, counter productive and provincial IMO.

Unfortunately I think it's plausible because the press in general and the Swedish press in particular (sorry Swedes) have a tendency to think they are the only ones who have seen the light and that the sun only rise in the morning because of them.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:57 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Posts about Princess Madeleine and her family moving to London, have been moved to a new thread. You can find them here:

Princess Madeleine and Family Moving to London, 2015
Old 05-31-2015, 01:17 AM
Royal Highness

This is from a non-Swede's perspective looking in: everything has seemed to happen at hyper-speed for Madeleine and Chris. Within the past five years, Madeleine's engagement to her boyfriend of 7 or 8 years was broken off, she moved to the US, met Chris, married him, their first baby was born a year after marriage, their second baby is born a year after their first. I don't know if it's possible, in that short of a time, for Chris to fully grasp the implications of marrying into the Swedish Royal Family, or for Madeleine to realize the challenge of living and raising a family and balancing royal duties, all while living far away from family. Chris seems like a reserved person, and I'm sure that it's not easy being in the public eye and particularly being criticized as much as he has been in the Swedish press, all while living in an unfamiliar country where you don't speak the language and don't feel like a part of the nation. I think that at this point they are just trying to figure out how to make their lives work with the circumstances they've been handed, and while they and the SRF as a whole probably could have handled the whole situation better, the relentless criticism from the press seems unfair. They're a young family trying to start out on their own, and all young families face some form of unsteadiness trying to sort out their lives. They aren't perfect people or a perfect family, but they're just doing the best that they can.

Hopefully this move to London will be good for the entire family. It's much closer to Sweden than New York City, and maybe it will be a respite from all the press and criticism. Of course, won't that have to move back to Sweden within the next few years so that the children can attend school there?
Old 05-31-2015, 03:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well said, acdc1.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:05 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjan View Post
chris I wonder probally had no idea what he was getting into marrying in to the family I and think he isn't one who enjoys all the attention he is not going to change his life style and I think Madde will have a hard time I also think having a second child so close to her first is a mistake she barely got use to being Chris wife and dealing with his life style and her life style and now to bring a 2nd child into all this big stress factor I wouldn't be surprised to see this marriage blow up in smoke
Just recently saw a video on You-Tube where Chris says that because he is not titled, he has no official role. He also mentioned that when in NYC or London, their daily life hasn't changed. Only when in Sweden do they have a change in their lifestyle. BTW, in this same video, he seems quite amicable and is shown affectionately interacting with Queen Silvia and Carl-Philip which goes a long way in dispelling rumors that he doesn't really get along with the family.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:49 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
Just recently saw a video on You-Tube where Chris says that because he is not titled, he has no official role. He also mentioned that when in NYC or London, their daily life hasn't changed. Only when in Sweden do they have a change in their lifestyle. BTW, in this same video, he seems quite amicable and is shown affectionately interacting with Queen Silvia and Carl-Philip which goes a long way in dispelling rumors that he doesn't really get along with the family.

Could you please post the link to the interview you mentioned ? I would be surprised if Chris didn't seem amicable to Queen Silvia and Carl Philip in public, but that doesn't mean he really gets along well with the family.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I have never ever seen anything else than warmth, goodwill and amicability when Mr O'Neill is in the presence of the royal family. And why not? He seems a nice guy to me, from a 'good milieu' and with a well-to-do background.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

The gossip press is attacking again
The truth behind the betrayals against the family
Chris carries a dark secret
http://www.allerbutiken.se/Global/Covers/SOH.jpg
Old 06-04-2015, 10:14 AM
Aristocracy

So what's the dark secret they refer to?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Dark secret?
Old 06-04-2015, 11:09 AM
Majesty

These tabloids have no shame.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:42 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Could you please post the link to the interview you mentioned ? I would be surprised if Chris didn't seem amicable to Queen Silvia and Carl Philip in public, but that doesn't mean he really gets along well with the family.
You are right, of course, it could have been for the cameras but more than how he treated the other members of the family, it was more about how they treated him.

Regarding the link...I have to embarrass myself by admitting that I am really pretty computer illiterate and do not know how to establish links. But if you go to You-Tube and do a search for "Swedish Royal Family in Solliden" there is a brief video that shows what I'm speaking of above. Then, another video titled "Aret med Kungafamilyjen 2014" posted by Sarah Williams is a 58 minute video with several different areas focused on, one of them being Chris and Madeleine talking about the baby and their new life. That is where he spoke of not having a royal role. Hope this helps you find it and I apologize for not knowing enough about how to post links.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:48 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
The gossip press is attacking again
The truth behind the betrayals against the family
Chris carries a dark secret
http://www.allerbutiken.se/Global/Covers/SOH.jpg
Chris needs to ride it out for another week because the focus will shift onto Carl-Philip and Sofia. I suspect they will start pregnancy watch on Sofia from the 14th June....
Old 06-05-2015, 01:28 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
You are right, of course, it could have been for the cameras but more than how he treated the other members of the family, it was more about how they treated him.

Regarding the link...I have to embarrass myself by admitting that I am really pretty computer illiterate and do not know how to establish links. But if you go to You-Tube and do a search for "Swedish Royal Family in Solliden" there is a brief video that shows what I'm speaking of above.
At 3:09 or so one can see Carl Phillip with arms on Chris' shoulders.

Swedish Royal Family in Solliden

TEXT: "Published on Mar 28, 2015"

Quote:
Then, another video titled "Aret med Kungafamilyjen 2014" posted by Sarah Williams is a 58 minute video with several different areas focused on, one of them being Chris and Madeleine talking about the baby and their new life. That is where he spoke of not having a royal role. Hope this helps you find it and I apologize for not knowing enough about how to post links.
At 8:18 starts the section with Chris and Madeleine, in both Swedish and English. And again at 21:40.

At 51:28 Chris and Madeleine talk about 'plans for the future'. (Spoken in 2014)

And lastly at 56:44.

Året med Kungafamiljen 2014

TEXT: "Published on Mar 2, 2015"
Old 06-05-2015, 03:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
Chris needs to ride it out for another week because the focus will shift onto Carl-Philip and Sofia. I suspect they will start pregnancy watch on Sofia from the 14th June....
I think that the negativity towards Madeleine and Chris will raise again after the summer in August, when the royal family starts to work. Carl Philip and Sofia are starting to represent together, they visit their duchy Värmland and meet common people. Madeleine and the children move to London, Madeleine will not do the "bread and butter" events (and she will be on a maternity leave again). They will be followed by the paparazzis because the swedish press buys the photos.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

At the end of Aftonbladet's article about the National day celebration in Skansen: "But the strange thing afterwards is that it is not Sofia's and Carl Philip's happiness that stays in the memory. It is the image of Princess Madeleine. Heavily pregnant, proud and straight and wide smile - but alone. Whoever stole the attention this evening was someone who was not even there. He came to the banns - at the last moment. Now he didn't come at all. Where is Chris?"
Två män stal showen när nationaldagen firades | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine