The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 05:47 AM
Courtier

I do wonder why it matters that Madeleine is pregnant, when discussing if Chris is attending something or not. She is not an invalid that cannot function without her husband.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:51 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
I do wonder why it matters that Madeleine is pregnant, when discussing if Chris is attending something or not. She is not an invalid that cannot function without her husband.
Yes, but they probably were planning to take Leonore to the carriage like Estelle has been on previous years. When you are heavily pregnant like Madeleine, holding a child isn't so comfortable. Maybe Madeleine can go to the same carriage as Carl Philip and Sofia and they can help her.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:56 AM
Majesty

What do you think the public is thinking or will think about Chris not being present?

And dear Swedish members, what do you think?
Old 05-27-2015, 06:22 AM
Majesty

They are probably wondering why the SRF actually pay someone to make them look indecisive, uncoordinated and disorganised. Their PR team mess it up, time after time after time . . . ad infinitum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
She may not be feeling quite well, she may find traveling in a carriage causes nausea, Chris could be the child wrangler (should she be down to attend) or even just her security "blanky". There are so many reasons Madeleine could be considered "unconfirmed" to attend" that I wonder why it is that she has to "bring a sick note" when not another pregnant princess in Europe would need one! Why some have been known to disappear almost altogether!
Old 05-27-2015, 07:01 AM
Imperial Majesty

Aftonbladet has talked with Margareta Thorgren.
The court defends themselves against the data on a "dropout" but confirms that Chris will not attend the National Day.
- It's not that he jumps off. He's obviously sad that he can not attend the National Day and his greatest wish is to be with the family as much as possible, says Thorgren.
- He just has currently an intensive program with many trips and important work issues that cause that he can not be with on the National Day.
Before the banns between Carl Philip and Sofia on May 17 Chris O'Neill surprised by showing up. At that time the court just days earlier confirmed that he would not be with.
The explanation for Chris O'Neill was that he was at the last moment had "managed to combine his other commitments".
For the royal couple, it is important that the whole family attends the major feasts. Important events coming are, the National Day, Nobel Prize ceremony and Victoria Day.
Considering this year's Prince wedding there is more important dates for the family to gather than usual.
- It is the wish of the family to gather at solemn occasions and it is always nice when that happens, said Margareta Thorgren after the banns.
Chris O'Neill missar nationaldagsfesten _ Prinsbröllopet _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet
Old 05-27-2015, 07:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
What do you think the public is thinking or will think about Chris not being present?

My opinion as a Swede is one I've posted before - Chris needs to make up his mind of when and at what royal functions he makes an appearance and stick to it. He's not a member of the Royal house so he doesn't have to show up at official events if he doesn't want to or if he can't fit them into his work schedule.
I'd suggest he stays away from all official events and stick to the family oriented ones like wedding banns, Te Deums etc... where other relatives also attend.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 05-27-2015, 07:47 AM
Courtier

Quote:

My problem is that this is part of a pattern. I don't know if it's just a communication problem that they court obviously has, or if it's Chris that keeps changing his schedule (making it hard for the court to be consistant in their communication). But there is obviously a big problem somewhere.

I agree with JR76 that Chris needs to make up his mind. He isn't royal, but he is still part of the royal family. Let us know when we can expect him to show up, and stick to it. It shouldn't be too hard.

As for Madeleine, she is heavily pregnant right now. If she would have skipped the national day celebrations and focused on trying to attend the wedding, that's something that people would understand. So if she actually attends the national day celebrations, people would probably be happy just to see her for a couple of hours and don't expect more than that.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

I tend to think that the problem is one of unrealistic expectations on a few levels.

I think it was unrealistic of Chris to expect his lifestyle to be compatible with marriage into the Swedish Royal Family, and that no-one would notice and/or complain when he didn't turn up at the events they expected to see him at. But at that time they married they were living in America and I don't think they were expecting to live in Sweden so didn't expect to be in the spotlight and could live their lives around Chris' lifestyle, but things have changed.

I think it is unrealistic of the Swedish Royal Family to expect Chris, as a private citizen, to give priority to events which are high on their list of priorities but of little import in his life, and to be able to commit to events in the same way that they can, i.e. some time ahead and with no flexibility in the event of unforeseen exigencies such as plans changing at short notice because of Chris' business commitments.

I think it is unrealistic of the Swedish people to expect him to turn up at all the events they expect him to attend.

Chris is a private citizen, not Royal, and if he is to retain that status people are going to have to stop expecting him to give priority to Royal events and expecting him to do things. If he turns up, he turns up, but if not, it shouldn't matter.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Then it would be best, like someone mentioned in a previous post that they make an official announcement like "Due to his work schedule, Mr.O'Neill has to be available for his work at short term notice, he will therefore from now on not be scheduled to appear at any royal function, but focus on his young family and his job" and then never include him in a schedule again; if indeed he has time to appear it will be a bonus and mainly a nice support for his wife and children..

but just make the decision and end the dilly dally..
Old 05-27-2015, 05:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Yep. That would make sense. Wonder why they don't do it?
Old 05-27-2015, 05:42 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Then it would be best, like someone mentioned in a previous post that they make an official announcement like "Due to his work schedule, Mr.O'Neill has to be available for his work at short term notice, he will therefore from now on not be scheduled to appear at any royal function, but focus on his young family and his job" and then never include him in a schedule again; if indeed he has time to appear it will be a bonus and mainly a nice support for his wife and children..

but just make the decision and end the dilly dally..
Well, isn't it rather logical perhaps? I do not see the problem and I do not see why an announcement needs to be made. If anything made the Swedish press department a mess it is over-communication . When he married it was clear that he would remain a private person with his own work. Nothing has changed since then. So why some media outlets made it an issue all of a sudden is a bit puzzling.

I can't recall anything of the sort for Constantijn and Laurentien either. Or even for Laurent. And they are actually royal. I would say that Chris O'Neill actually has as much official duties as Prince Constantijn - if not more. I can't remember anybody ever complaining about Constantijn skipping functions. Most will be happy that he has a carreer and is not living from tax payers money.

They are making a mountain out of a molehill IMHO.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:05 AM
Majesty

i think the media does a story about Chris not being there, they create a story
I do not think swedish people cares about chris as he is not a royal

would sofia do the same but has the title princess of sweden then she would have a harder time to explain a absence at royal events becouse she will work for the royal house. Chris said no to this he is part of the family but not the royal house who represent sweden
Old 05-28-2015, 09:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh well I think it's much ado about nothing. Couples all over the world move away from families due to jobs or to go where their spouse lives only seeing their families at holidays and vacations etc. You learn to deal with it.

At least both families have the money to travel often to see each other if they want to.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:56 AM
Gentry

chris I wonder probally had no idea what he was getting into marrying in to the family I and think he isn't one who enjoys all the attention he is not going to change his life style and I think Madde will have a hard time I also think having a second child so close to her first is a mistake she barely got use to being Chris wife and dealing with his life style and her life style and now to bring a 2nd child into all this big stress factor I wouldn't be surprised to see this marriage blow up in smoke
Old 05-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjan View Post
chris I wonder probally had no idea what he was getting into marrying in to the family I and think he isn't one who enjoys all the attention he is not going to change his life style and I think Madde will have a hard time I also think having a second child so close to her first is a mistake she barely got use to being Chris wife and dealing with his life style and her life style and now to bring a 2nd child into all this big stress factor I wouldn't be surprised to see this marriage blow up in smoke
A lot of assumptions! Their situation is not different from other people that have families on different continents and where the work of the breadwinner requires the business to be located at major investment/banking center. The time in Sweden has probably been very calming for Princess Madeleine as she and her family has been close to especially her mom and sister during her pregnancy and also being a new mother. The little Princess Leonore has had a chance to bond with her Swedish relatives. That part is always a challenge when you live far away. There is lots of work to have your children close (I am speaking of personal experience) but it is great once the children are beyond the diaper stage. They will grow up close in their education, friends and age suitable activities. I hope the family will get a wonderful time in London. We will just have to get used to that Chris will not join the family at all the events they attend. When your job is to handle clients financial investments you simply have to be available when they need you. You can not tell them to wait until next week when you have more time to attend to their crisis because you must attend an evening at Skansen. The royal family accepted the arrangement that he should not be a part of the "royal" family and this is what it means.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Svensk Damtidning has an article about Chris at their latest issue, the paper version.
SD writes that Madeleine had longed for the move to Stockholm because she wanted to be closer to her family. But it hasn't been as easy for Chris. The rumours tell that Chris thinks that Stockholm is a too small town. For a man raised in Switzerland and London and who has lived the most of his adult life in New York small Östermalm is perhaps not so impressive. It is rumoured that he is depressed. And it is said that Chris thinks that the royal family is a little too fine and mighty for his taste. Nice, yes, but perhaps not similar than he has been used to as a businessman in NY. During the last times yet one rumour came to Svensk Damtidning's office. Chris is missing. Not even a person close to the court has seen him at The Royal Mews and it is gossipped that he is on a secret trip abroad in private commitments. A trip which is said to have a quick interruption at Carl Philip's and Sofia's banns because the king demanded it, but now the trip has continued again.
The royal court has reacted to this article in Svensk Damtidning.
The director of the press department, Margareta Thorgren calls the article insulting and offensive.
- Generally, we always act against the articles which contain inaccuracies and offensive information that borders on slander. We have done so even with this article that is pure speculation. Svensk Damtidning goes on with untruths and it is of course regrettable. I have contacted chief editor Karin Lennmor asking how they can go with this kind of falsehoods. It is not at all positive for Svensk Damtidning.
- We will discuss this article with our legal advisers who will look at this.
- Chris O'Neill is on the contrary a stable, happy and likeable person who is not at all depressed. He is a great support for Princess Madeleine and considering that they also will have a new member in the family soon so he is very excited.

Karin Lennmor, editor and publisher of Svensk Damtidning, disagrees with Thorgren of criticism.
- It is not offensive and I think that is very neutral. It is based on information which we do not have a damn reason to doubt, from the sources that we have worked with for a long time. I do not understand where the insult is, but I don't discuss it with you. I have had a dialogue with the Royal Court and Margareta Thorgren, says Lennmor.
Hovet kopplar in jurister mot Svensk Damtidning - Dagens Media
Translation

I think that the court wants to scare Svensk Damtidning and other swedish media so that they would not write these kind of stories again.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

The Swedish Court is very happy to sue & complain, there is a pattern with the weekly german tabloids that have been inventing all sorts of stories about any member of the SRF, the court will complain about the most absurd ones, and then the tabloid makes a counterstatement based on the courts complaint what creates another story, so complaining doesnt really help with regard to what the court wants to achieve.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:04 PM
Majesty

Why should Chris O'Neil care one hoot about the Swedish press?
As far as I can tell there are few indications pointing to Chris being particularly concerned about what they say about him in the press.

The few interviews he has given have been guarded, he hasn't said or done anything more than the absolute minimum of what is expected of a man about to marry a princess. He has not tried to suck up to the press or even polish his public image. On the contrary he has made it very clear from the beginning that while he is married to a member of the SRF, he is not a (working) member of the SRF.

Without being able to read Chris O'Neil's mind, I suspect he is a full-blooded republican who just happened to fall in love with and marry a royal and such he does not feel he can be true to himself if he became a part of the royal show.
On top of that he is not Swedish, he does not feel remotely Swedish and he has no intention of being Swedish, he is just married to a Swede.
Judging from his background I'd say Sweden in general is too left wing for his taste.
So if he is getting heat from the Swedish press and public for not attending SRF events, he'll probably shrug his shoulders and say: "So"?

Whether he finds Sweden too provincial as has been suggested is anyone's guess. If so I'd say he is either uninformed or a snob, but it's also irrelevant, because I don't think Chris has or has ever had any intention of moving to Sweden.

That his wife got homesick and needed the support of her family while having two small children is something most considerate husbands can understand, so I guess they compromised and decided to settle in London. Until Madeleine "got emotionally stable". It's only a couple of hours flight from Sweden, so Madeleine go for weekend trips whenever she wants to.

To sum it up brutally: Madeleine is Mrs. O'Neil, it just hasn't really dawned on her yet.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:36 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
As far as I can tell there are few indications pointing to Chris being particularly concerned about what they say about him in the press.

Maybe he doesnt but obviously the court does, otherwise they wouldn't comment or explain or complain about press' comments. Stories about Chris have a negative vibe, hence the title of this thread.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

On top of that he is not Swedish, he does not feel remotely Swedish and he has no intention of being Swedish, he is just married to a Swede.

I don't think Chris has or has ever had any intention of moving to Sweden.

That his wife got homesick and needed the support of her family while having two small children is something most considerate husbands can understand, so I guess they compromised and decided to settle in London. Until Madeleine "got emotionally stable". It's only a couple of hours flight from Sweden, so Madeleine go for weekend trips whenever she wants to.

To sum it up brutally: Madeleine is Mrs. O'Neil, it just hasn't really dawned on her yet.
I agree with your thoughts.

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine