Madeleine and Chris: Media and Public Opinion

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do forum members show such ridiculous tabloids?

There is a reason, especially in this subforum. While the gossip press is just making things up, they (at least here) often - but not always - reflect the general feeling about celebrity and royalty.

The media in Sweden has a very negative image of Madeleine and Chris. I personally think that some is well founded, other is just ridiculous. But they do have a big PR-problem, and it shows.

They confuse people. They register permanently in Sweden, then Chris states in an interview that they never had the intention to live in Sweden (the unfortunate 'breadwinner' interview) but in London. Then they have a house in London that is ready, then they don't, they are still in Sweden.
I mean they can do what they want but they should stop giving conflicting messages to the press, including the court.

I agree about confuse people. They need someone (from the court maybe?) to advise them.

I agree also . But maybe that is the problem who must advise them?

Last edited by a moderator:
The PR-department of the SRF is (in)famously bad at their jobs. Sad story, but true.

But I wonder if this isn't a combination of the bad PR-people, and Chris&Madeleines - actually, mostly Chris in this case - unwillingness to cooperate with the PR-people. Are Chris&Madeleine really giving correct information to the PR-department, in good time? I doubt it. So what can the PR-department do? A rock and a hard place...

:previous: I think it is past time the king accepted that the SRF PR personnel are all utterly useless to a man. It's time the whole department was cleared out and new, media-savvy monarchists employed to get the SRF back on track.

It seems that much of the trouble caused the SRF has its roots in their own PR department. Who needs tabloid press when the palace itself is shown to be chaotic, erratic and dysfunctional.

As to why forum members post info from "tabloids"? They, just like the palace media releases, have a fifty percent accuracy rate.

I can imagine that the legislation in that case will interpreted in a way to mean that if Leonore and X go to school in Sweden for one year and they speak fluent Swedish and have visited Sweden regularly throughout their lives that will be deemed "sufficient".

I suppose that is a possibility. However, when the Royal Court was asked what the law actually meant, the official interpretation was that Leonore (Nicolas was not born yet at the time) would have to move permanently to Sweden by the time she started elementary school.

I don't recall any case in recent times of a prince of Sweden being removed from the line of succession for not having been raised in Sweden. However, that is not unprecedented in Scandinavian countries. Princess Benedikte's children for example are out of the Danish line of succession presumably because they have not been raised in Denmark, although there is no explict provision in Danish law to strip someone of succession rights on those grounds. If I understand it correctly, the interpretation is that, when giving a prince or princess consent to get married, the King of Denmark can impose additional conditions for the offspring of that marriage to remain in the line of succession. Apparently, King Frederik IX demanded that Beneditke's children took up permanent residence in Denmark upon reaching the age of mandatory schooling. As the condition ultimately was not met, they are deemed to have lost their succession rights, although some constitutional scholars dispute that.

Last edited:
But I wonder if this isn't a combination of the bad PR-people, and Chris&Madeleines - actually, mostly Chris in this case - unwillingness to cooperate with the PR-people. Are Chris&Madeleine really giving correct information to the PR-department, in good time? I doubt it. So what can the PR-department do? A rock and a hard place...

I've been thinking about the same.

I think the main reason to Madeleine’s problems with the negative media and public opinion is that she doesn’t do these normal “bread and butter” events, she doesn’t visit municipalities around Sweden, schools, hospitals or work places and so on. She attends mainly only at the family celebrations, big national events and events of Childhood Foundation, which mostly are at the Royal Palace. The Swedish people and the media can’t get close to her, see how she interacts with people, how prepared she is to her work. She doesn’t talk much with the people and with the reporters and photographers.
And because Madeleine has lived abroad and done so little royal work events, she doesn’t have an experienced team around her at the court, which is needed to prepare the events. A team that is used to work with Madeleine. The king, queen, Victoria and Daniel have their Households with Marshals of the Court, the First Lady of the Court, ladies-in-waiting, adjutants and secretaries. Carl Philip has his adjutant and his secretary. Because Madeleine works so little, the court staff doesn’t know how she works, how she reacts in different situations. And if Madeleine and Chris aren’t good in giving information in time to the court staff, the problem gets bigger and bigger.

I suspect that Madeline believe's that her role will never be important in Sweden. She is now 4th in line ,behind Victoria, Estelle and CP, and will slip further down if CP has children. Sweden is not that big a country.

I suspect that Madeline believe's that her role will never be important in Sweden. She is now 4th in line ,behind Victoria, Estelle and CP, and will slip further down if CP has children. Sweden is not that big a country.
What does our size have to do with her importance in the country?

:previous: Probably following those on the BRF threads who believe the second son has become irrelevant as the heirs heir now has two heirs!

Madeleine has been dragged in the press for her "feud" with Sofia. I think Madeleine doesn't like Sofia, especially since she didn't immediately take down the negative comments about Sofia on her Facebook page when the CP & Sofia first announce their engagement. Since then the press has harped on a feud; that Madeleine the blood royal is jealous of Sofia, the future married-in. When Madeleine didn't attend Sofia's bachelorette party the royal court had to put out an explanation: she, Chris and Leonore went with Sylvia to Rome to visit Pope Francis and attend another event. A stink was raised in the press that Chris, and even Daniel, did not attend Carl-Philip's bachelor party.

Madeleine may have made her peace with the marriage but I'm not seeing shopping trips together. And for the CIO (court information officer) putting out statements to deflect negative perceptions - that tells me that it's important for the SRF to be seen as one happy family. The next major family event is Nicolas' christening. I fear Madeleine and Chris will be dragged in the press again if Sofia or even Carl Philip are not chosen as godparents.

I don't think there is a feud I think they like each just fine there are pictures of them laughing and talking. They should choose whom ever they want as god parents. If they don't choose Carl it will be oh they don't like his marriage , if they do it will oh they were some how forced to choose him. Damned if they do or don't.

Is it necessary to pick relations to be godparents? I have six godchildren and none of them are my nieces or nephews.

:previous:
I don't know yet I know one person whom never chose a family member as a godparent, I always thought it was for people outside the family that would be there in case some members of a family could not be there. Since I don't know the traditions of Sweden maybe some one could give us this info.

Think either way they are in a no win situation with the media, and aren't they all the time in that situation. :)

Much has been written and implied about Chris not wanting a title. Could someone (probably from Sweden )please clarify for me: Does Chris need to be a Swedish citizen to be titled? I can't figure out what is tabloid speculation and what is fact!!

:previous:
I don't know yet I know one person whom never chose a family member as a godparent, I always thought it was for people outside the family that would be there in case some members of a family could not be there. Since I don't know the traditions of Sweden maybe some one could give us this info.

Think either way they are in a no win situation with the media, and aren't they all the time in that situation. :)

I have both relatives and non relatives as godchildren. My experience is it all depends on the culture and maybe the religion what the rules or perceived rules are around who can be godparents. Having said that it appears from what I have been reading on TRF that the role of godparent is a very important role within the royal community. This is a very small community in the big picture of things and I can see how this role would be so vital for mentoring the next generation. And there is not a big population of Royals to choose from.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aftonbladet's political columnist and deputy publisher Lena Mellin today at her column:

Madeleine wants to eat her cake - without to do her job
Mellin writes that Madeleine wants both to have her cake and eat it. She wants to continue as a princess. But not to do the job. Madeleine emigrated to USA and since then has not played a prominent role in the royal family's official program. And now she emigrated to UK.
Two years ago, she skipped even the Nobel festivities. Only one work event is planned at her calendar, the christening of her son. It doesn't need to be anything wrong with it. You must not be a princess if you don't want it. One can simply pull back and call herself a Bernadotte. But the princess appears to both like to be a princess - and not to do the work. She participates in the royal family's official parties, birthdays, christenings and weddings and spends part of the summer in Solliden. But much more there isn't.
However, Madeleine's children are included in the order of succession. Mellin writes that this is after a new interpretation of the order of succession. It tells not only that the princes and princesses should be brought up in "the pure evengelic doctrine" but also should be raised "within the realm". Growing up in London, as the children obviously will do, is definitely not within the realm. That is abroad.
Mellin says that when Leonore was born the Marshal of the Realm Svante Lindqvist announced that she could stay in USA until she filled six years, he interpreted the order of succession so. Then she should go to Swedish school, take Swedish graduation and speak perfect Swedish to stay in the succession. But did the Marshal mean that the school should be in Sweden? It can be believed because he ruled that to stay in US was okay to six years of age. But really sure you can't be. There is a Swedish school in London, from kindergarten to high school. If the Marshal didn't mean that the school must absolutely be on Swedish soil can both Nicolas and Leonore keep their places in the line of succession, although they live in the UK. The condition is that they go to swedish schools and speak perfect swedish.
Mellin writes that at the beginning of the week Carl Philip and Sofia were in Dalarna. During the first day they visited a refuree reception center, manufacturers of lockers, bread and red paint, and Falun Copper Mine. That doesn't sound fun, but when you are a prince couple, it comes with obligations.
The King's sisters withdrew from the public eye when they got married. Then it was male succession. They lost their princess titles and are called such as Princess Margaretha, Mrs. Ambler. Members of the royal family, but not of the royal house.
Chris O'Neill was offered to be a prince but he declined. But his wife is a princess and his two children a prince and princess and moreover potential successors.
Mellin thinks it is somewhat ambiguous about the whole thing. Just like having your cake while eating it.
Madeleine vill äta kakan - utan att göra sitt jobb _ Lena Mellin _ Kolumnister _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet
Translation

Last edited:
Oh for god'sake, can Madeleine not be harassed today? It's her son's baptism, let her have this day full of joy.

I agree. And I've been in church milues alot (albeit not in the Lutheran Church) and I've never heard of it. :p
In Catholic and Church of England (Episcopal in the US) one genuflect or bow for the Blessed Sacrament or the altar. A lamp will be lit if the Blessed Sacrament is present. In other denominations it is often a sign of respect to bow at the altar. Unfortunately many of the traditions have been forgotten or ignored. One should perhaps look at entering the church with more reverence than entering a restaurant.

Aftonbladet's political columnist and deputy publisher Lena Mellin today at her column:

Madeleine wants to eat her cake - without to do her job
Mellin writes that Madeleine wants both to have her cake and eat it. She wants to continue as a princess. But not to do the job. Madeleine emigrated to USA and since then has not played a prominent role in the royal family's official program. And now she emigrated to UK.
Two years ago, she skipped even the Nobel festivities. Only one work event is planned at her calendar, the christening of her son. It doesn't need to be anything wrong with it. You must not be a princess if you don't want it. One can simply pull back and call herself a Bernadotte. But the princess appears to both like to be a princess - and not to do the work. She participates in the royal family's official parties, birthdays, christenings and weddings and spends part of the summer in Solliden. But much more there isn't.
However, Madeleine's children are included in the order of succession. Mellin writes that this is after a new interpretation of the order of succession. It tells not only that the princes and princesses should be brought up in "the pure evengelic doctrine" but also should be raised "within the realm". Growing up in London, as the children obviously will do, is definitely not within the realm. That is abroad.
Mellin says that when Leonore was born the Marshal of the Realm Svante Lindqvist announced that she could stay in USA until she filled six years, he interpreted the order of succession so. Then she should go to Swedish school, take Swedish graduation and speak perfect Swedish to stay in the succession. But did the Marshal mean that the school should be in Sweden? It can be believed because he ruled that to stay in US was okay to six years of age. But really sure you can't be. There is a Swedish school in London, from kindergarten to high school. If the Marshal didn't mean that the school must absolutely be on Swedish soil can both Nicolas and Leonore keep their places in the line of succession, although they live in the UK. The condition is that they go to swedish schools and speak perfect swedish.
Mellin writes that at the beginning of the week Carl Philip and Sofia were in Dalarna. During the first day they visited a refuree reception center, manufacturers of lockers, bread and red paint, and Falun Copper Mine. That doesn't sound fun, but when you are a prince couple, it comes with obligations.
The King's sisters withdrew from the public eye when they got married. Then it was male succession. They lost their princess titles and are called such as Princess Margaretha, Mrs. Ambler. Members of the royal family, but not of the royal house.
Chris O'Neill was offered to be a prince but he declined. But his wife is a princess and his two children a prince and princess and moreover potential successors.
Mellin thinks it is somewhat ambiguous about the whole thing. Just like having your cake while eating it.
Madeleine vill äta kakan - utan att göra sitt jobb _ Lena Mellin _ Kolumnister _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet
Translation
Lena Mellin on her soapbox again. Madeleine is born a princess and will forever be a princess. It is not a job to which one applies and hold the title to until one leaves. Whether she carries out royal engagements in the future we will just have to wait. She so far has two very young children and I certainly hope she will spend all her time caring for them while they are small. It is absolutely proper that the Kings grandchildren have the titles Prince/Princess. Chris O'Neill's lack of prince title is also proper as he has chosen to continue to work in his chosen field. I doubt if the King lives long enough to have great grandchildren that they will have the Prince/Princess title. Once the King's children have had their own offspring there will not be any more Prince/Princesses until the then Queen Victoria has her own grandchildren and sons/daughters-in-laws and we will just have to wait and see what she does with titles then.

I am appalled that a tacky article about Madeleine on the day of her sons christening, was posted here. Give them a break, at least for today. We know the answer to the media question, they are trying to stir up a tempest that some mortals will fall for.

Madeline and her children won't get close to the throne unless there is a great disaster of some kind. I really hope her parents have advised her to build a life for herself.

Madeline and her children won't get close to the throne unless there is a great disaster of some kind. I really hope her parents have advised her to build a life for herself.

I think that's what she's doing in England. :flowers:

I am appalled that a tacky article about Madeleine on the day of her sons christening, was posted here. Give them a break, at least for today. We know the answer to the media question, they are trying to stir up a tempest that some mortals will fall for.

As tacky as it is to publish such an article today, at the same time this is the impression many do have of Madeleine : That she wants all the glamour events w/out having to do anything....mundane or regular Royal work for lack of better terms to "earn" being at the big glamour events. Just as the issues regarding the Children and their Succession Rights are legitimate. Does going to a Swedish School and learning to speak fluent Swedish cover the requirements for them to remain HRHs or do they have to return to Sweden as has been thought to need to happen?

As has been said, part of the problem is how unbelievably inept the SRF PR Dept is when it comes to Madeleine and Chris. However, they don't seem to help their cause either when it comes to how the Public perceives them. It really is just sad all around, but I truly believe just giving the odd interview to the Press about what she does for Childhood or her Duchy behind the scenes, would make the World of Difference perception wise for Madeleine. JMO of course, but I do believe it would help.

As for the article being posted here on the site...This is the Madeleine and Chris Press Negativity thread, so this is where it belongs on here. Having said that, there wouldn't be a need for such a thread, if there wasn't a reason for it. Sadly, there is a very big problem when it comes to this Couple/Madeleine and Public Perception, which the Press picks up on and in turn...

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Unfortunately I think that Melins article was spot on. It reflects the public image - and in part my own image - of Madeleine and her family. They have a very problematic PR-situation. I think that they need to let people know what their intentions are. If Madeleine is creating a life for herself and her family in the UK, that's just fine. Let us know when she's supposed to turn up (and not turn up). And give an interveiw or two. I don't think it's too much to ask.

I've been thinking about it lately, and my conclusion is that Madde and Chris don't know what to do... It's all speculation on my part, mind you, but I think that Chris sort of expected that Madeleine would renounce her princess's like once they got married. I think the couple hadn't talked about what their future would entail... and now with a family that formed very quickly they are more confused than ever...

I've been thinking about it lately, and my conclusion is that Madde and Chris don't know what to do... It's all speculation on my part, mind you, but I think that Chris sort of expected that Madeleine would renounce her princess's like once they got married. I think the couple hadn't talked about what their future would entail... and now with a family that formed very quickly they are more confused than ever...

I appreciate your view-point but I honestly think that both Chris and Madde knows exactly what they want to do and are doing it. Plus, I believe that both of Madde's parents approve. I strongly believe that Madde and Chris will do what they want when they want and enjoy their life their way. They don't feel they have to tell anyone their intensions and won't, if they don't want to and probably get a kick out of people complaining about it. They will do only exactly want the king wants [public christening] but I don't believe he will even push them too far. More over, I truly believe that Victoria and Daniel both approve and love them for their independence. Not all people, no matter what their station in life, must be pushed into a certain "box" that allows others to think they should be able to dictate their lives due to tradition. I believe Prince Harry will follow a similar modern road when he marries. Plus I certainly can see Denmark's oldest daughter being independent in her late teens.

As long as a country's taxes are not paying 100% for life style, they will do what they want. I am sure that the king and queen knows everything [and maybe Victoria] and all approve and condone. They also probably feel that it is no one else's business how they run their lives. The world is changing and so are the royals. Some changes are wonderful, some, who knows. JMO

I appreciate your view-point but I honestly think that both Chris and Madde knows exactly what they want to do and are doing it. Plus, I believe that both of Madde's parents approve. I strongly believe that Madde and Chris will do what they want when they want and enjoy their life their way. They don't feel they have to tell anyone their intensions and won't, if they don't want to and probably get a kick out of people complaining about it. They will do only exactly want the king wants [public christening] but I don't believe he will even push them too far. More over, I truly believe that Victoria and Daniel both approve and love them for their independence. Not all people, no matter what their station in life, must be pushed into a certain "box" that allows others to think they should be able to dictate their lives due to tradition. I believe Prince Harry will follow a similar modern road when he marries. Plus I certainly can see Denmark's oldest daughter being independent in her late teens.

As long as a country's taxes are not paying 100% for life style, they will do what they want. I am sure that the king and queen knows everything [and maybe Victoria] and all approve and condone. They also probably feel that it is no one else's business how they run their lives. The world is changing and so are the royals. Some changes are wonderful, some, who knows. JMO

I just think that had the family lived in Stockholm, it would much be better... Madeleine could do some engagements ( not many as Sofia has taken over her now, and she is a minor royal) and she would have the life that she wants: glam, few duties and society with upperclass friends, as well as support for her and her children, with her family closed to her. I have long suspected now that Chris wouldn't even make an effort and try to fit in Stockholm. I know it is hard for the language, his business, his lifestyle and all, but at least he could try. Besides, not much would be requested from him in terms of public appeareances.

They are doing things their way. Maybe in a few years will move to Sweden.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom