The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 05:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I don't think so. Because of the type of job he has (self employed etc) he should be able to schedule his meetings in a way that allowes him to participate in family events. For example, CG's birthday date doesnt change.
I'd understand if he never attended public royal events but that's not the case. If you marry into a royal family, you need to take care of image and perception.
The press release says "private obligations", it isn't necessary business...

Old 05-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
But, in the broader scheme of things, does it really matter if Chris is there for this formal announcement? It seems fairly trivial to me.
Agreed. I don't see what the fuss is. It isn't like he's missing his own announcement. This is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
Agreed. I don't see what the fuss is. It isn't like he's missing his own announcement. This is making a mountain out of a molehill.
And I think you're trying to make a molehill of a mountain. Chris not showing up for the wedding banns is not an isolated incident - it's a pattern. The pictures from the banns are going to show Madeleine alone again, highly pregnant. Not god PR. To quote Duke of Marmalade: "If you marry into a royal family, you need to take care of image and perception".
Old 05-16-2015, 06:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
And I think you're trying to make a molehill of a mountain. Chris not showing up for the wedding banns is not an isolated incident - it's a pattern. The pictures from the banns are going to show Madeleine alone again, highly pregnant. Not god PR. To quote Duke of Marmalade: "If you marry into a royal family, you need to take care of image and perception".
Absolutely agree. And is not excuse that is not member of the royal family or he is not have any title. This is important event for anybody family.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Well, that's it I guess.

I imagine his mother's birthday is not an important event either.

How utterly selfish of him to potentially choose to spend the day with her and his family and not his inlaws celebrating the proclamation of a wedding, which he will most likely be in attending on June 13th.

And last I checked Madde won't be alone at the banns since her father, mother, siblings, their signficant others, aunts, uncles and cousins will most likely be attending the bann as well.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonk View Post
Well, that's it I guess.

I imagine his mother's birthday is not an important event either.

How utterly selfish of him to potentially choose to spend the day with her and his family and not his inlaws celebrating the proclamation of a wedding, which he will most likely be in attending on June 13th.

And last I checked Madde won't be alone at the banns since her father, mother, siblings, their signficant others, aunts, uncles and cousins will most likely be attending the bann as well.
He could have done both. Her birthday is today, the wedding banns are tomorrow. It takes around two hours to fly between Stockholm and London. And since he didn't attend his father-in-laws birthday, I didn't think birthdays was a big thing for him anyway.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
He could have done both. Her birthday is today, the wedding banns are tomorrow. It takes around two hours to fly between Stockholm and London. And since he didn't attend his father-in-laws birthday, I didn't think birthdays was a big thing for him anyway.
I think we are all making a lot of assumptions.

We don't know if he could have done both. We don't know if there were events planned on both days [maybe they decided to do a brunch on Sunday] so that why he didn't fly back or if he had a meeting on Monday, so he decided to stay in town.

We don't know if birthday's aren't a big thing or not for him since we don't know if he didn't celebrate his father in law's birthday privately. Does anyone know what the family did privately to celebrate the King's birthday. iI would imagine they do more than the public events.

And I am sorry..there is a big difference when talking about celebrating your mother's birthday and your father in law's birthday. Even if he is the King. Even if you aren't into birthdays.

We just don't know.

Again because Chris is a private citizen and not dependent on Swedish tax payer money [paying his airfare to travel or paying for royal security] he doesn't owe anyone except his family a a public explanation. He does not need to say I will not be attending the Banns because its the same day as my mother's birthday and we have a planned dinner at 7 pm and brunch for those outtown guests the following morning at 10 AM. I am also scheduled to return to Sweden that evening on the 9 PM flight.

He doesnt need to explain himself.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Since Chris is a private citizen, I think it's fine he doesn't always attend royal events. Of course it would have been nice to see him at the banns, but he has other plans. It's his mother's birthday, so I imagine he wants to spend the weekend with his family.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Courtier

We don't even know if it's his mothers birthday that is the reason for him skipping the wedding banns, so I agree - we don't know. However, we do know this:

Chris and Madeleine are showing up (or not) without any consistency. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. They have very bad PR-skills, and the court doesn't seem interested in helping them either. They are both smart people, and they know that appearance matters when you are a royal (or married to one). They still don't seem to take this matter seriously, and they make the situation worse for themselves. I really want to like these two. Just like JR76 wrote so eloquently in a previous post, Madeleine is the mischievous little sister that can get away with almost anything because we like her. And I do. But I really don't know why they keep making things so difficult for themselves.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Courtier

Let's give the man a break shall we! He's busy with something else and can't attend what in practice is a reading of two names in a ceremony most swedes hardly knows exist.
Sure we could try to find a pattern in his appearances if we want to and as I stated before I'm surprised they're not more careful when they know the media is against them but maybe he's just busy?! Happens to all of us, I for example missed my nieces christening because of work.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 05-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Heir Apparent

I can understand the Swedish people being dissatisfied with Madeleine's performance, but in my - foreigner's - mind, I distinguish between Madeleine and Chris and apply different tests. That's largely because one is royal and one is not, but also because I don't think of married couples as a single unit and I don't expect them to always go to events together.

Chris is not Royal, and obviously made a conscious decision to retain that status. I think that therefore he is free to live his life as he chooses without giving any explanations - public explanations, anyway - for why he is or is not at a certain public event. I suspect that being able to avoid having to turn up at all these sorts of things when they are not vitally important was one of the reasons he elected to remain a private citizen.

Chris runs a business and one which I imagine is demanding and time-consuming. I imagine he wants to be able to spend his treasured leisure time doing things he wants to do, and if his wife's family has some family thing on that is not something so important that he can't not go to it - like CP's wedding - and he doesn't really want to go to, preferring to give priority to his own mother's birthday, or even sitting around home watching TV or listening to music, whatever he chooses, I fully understand him declining it. There are going to be lots of things in the "I can't get out of it" category in his life, so he asserts his right to control what he does in his free time when he can. Maybe they have a list on the wall marking events in the Swedish royal calendar with category codes, from "can't miss at any cost" to "only if you really want to".
Old 05-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Serene Highness

I really don't see how Chris can be criticised for this. I've been the first to say he and Madeline are wrong when I've felt they have been in the past. This time however...
Chris had a choice, attend the reading of banns for his brother in law (whos wedding he will be attending anyway) in Sweden where he has moved to allow his wife to be with her family
or
leave Sweden (the country he lives in so his wife can be close to her family) to be with his mother to celebrate her birthday - which has been on the same date for decades should CP/Sofia or the Royal Court have been bothered enough to check.

If her birthday was Saturday why should he rush back to Sweden the same day or the next morning? Most likely there was a party possibly to have gone late into the evening and then the next day family time, a change to catch up (doesn't Chris have a large and widely spread family whom probably don't always get change to catch up).
No one can expect Chris to simply give up his own life and his own family because Madeleine is Royal. Her family's events may also be important state events but they are still just family events for one side of the family and in most modern successful relationships there has to be give and take between the demands of both families.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
Well, why do they? What right do they have? Chris is a private citizen who does not owe Sweden anything at all.

The 4th best read article in my newspaper at the moment is an article about the censorship of breasts painted by Picasso in his 'Les femmes d'Alger' by the Amercian tv station FOX News. However I very much doubt that the content of the article is something that Dutch people care about passionately. News is entertainment. A gossipy article about Chris not attending CP's wedding banns... why on earth would anybody care except those whom it concerns?

If Chris' attendance was so important to the family or to the Swedish public, they might have considered to plan it on a different date than on his mothers birthday which has been on the same date for 73 years. TBH I would find my own mother more important than a newly acquired brother-in-laws pre-wedding registration.

Hurray! You have saved lazy MM23 from having to post a comment!
Old 05-16-2015, 11:54 PM
Aristocracy

Didn't Madde skip Victoria and Daniel's Banns? That was more serious IMO than Chris missing with his Mother's Birthday the same weekend.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:01 AM
Royal Highness

What a lot of pressure this couple have, moving countries, 2 babies in 2 years, press looking into their business and money problems and everything they do seems to be wrong. I really hope they are strong enough as a couple to be able withstand it all.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 05-17-2015, 12:03 AM
Serene Highness

This is not a royal problem. It is a family (and in-law) problem. If Madeleine and her family are okay with it (and I wonder if they are), then there's no problem.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-17-2015, 02:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenei View Post
Didn't Madde skip Victoria and Daniel's Banns? That was more serious IMO than Chris missing with his Mother's Birthday the same weekend.
Madeleine had moved to New York with a broken heart. She was so heart broken at she couldn't do a scheduled work event in Seattle on 7th-8th May, Victoria flew from Sweden to replace her sister although she was busy at the wedding preparations. Madeleine came to be at Victoria's hen party in 11th May but not to the banns. She got negative press and people were wondering why she didn't attend. "She needs time", said the director of the press department. And there was more negative press and wondering because she cancelled other work events like Alma-prize delivery, which the queen did. Lucky for Madeleine, later we have found out that she was then on a holiday at the time of Victoria's banns and met Chris.

As for Eva O'Neill's birthday, which was yesterday according to Expressen, like xenobia has said, Chris could very well have been there and also at the banns. We don't know if that is the reason why he is absent. But if it is, Chris and Madeleine were spending according to Expressen about a week in London with Eva O'Neill less than month ago, they flew to Vatican straight from London.
And like xenobia said, there will be photos from the banns, where Madeleine is alone. Not goot PR. Those photos are published many times at the articles of the royal family during the years to come.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:55 AM
Aristocracy

Madeleine and Chris: Media Negativity and Public Opinion

I wonder if the press will now do a witch hunt for Chris, trying to find out where he was and when he comes back to Sweden.

Edit: actually he can't make an 11am church service if he needs to fly from London to Stockholm this morning. Maybe he will join for the reception?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 05-17-2015, 05:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

According to Expressen's live reporting, Chris will arrive to the church. We will see.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:11 AM
Courtier

I'm so glad he changed his mind and showed up after all.

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine