The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 11:10 AM
Commoner

Yes, it does not look good on him to be not accompanying his very pregnant wife to the Banns, but he knows and the family knows that Madde will be in safe hands. Madde is with her family and he feels safe that he can be away for his private commitments.

I have another view on his absence, but I want to clarify that i have no intentions of offending anyone here, Dan's fans or any Swedish here.

I have made some observations for a while and I had noticed that Daniel loves to talk to Madde a lot, during the Victoria's concert last year and also the king's birthday recently. It did not reflect very nicely on Dan and I hope that Chris does not feel uncomfortable or upset with this, his brother-in-law, Dan, enjoys talking to his wife instead of Vic. I saw some pics in other websites during the Victoria's concert, Chris did not look happy at all, I should say he looked hurt.Vic did not look happy too.

I do not wish to start any arguments, this is my observations and just my opinion.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it is because Daniel has know Madeleine for about ten years Ashleigh... He is quite confident and friendly with her... I think he has known her since he was only the personal trainer of Victoria... I'll daresay he consider her as a sister... I wouldn't read too much in it

Old 05-16-2015, 11:18 AM
Courtier

My opinion regarding M and C is that the media blows things out of proportion most of the time. Most people are quite indifferent to the O'Neills. People aren't going about wringing their hands all over Sweden worrying about the attendance of C at the banns tomorrow. In general most swedes never had banns themselves when they got married and hardly know what it is.
Madeleine was for many years the apple in the eyes of the Swedes - cute, impulsive, a bit rebellious. Like that younger sister, daughter many of us have that by the blink of an eye can make us forgive and forget anything she's done.
Nowadays Madeleine wouldn't have to do much to improve her standing amongst the people. Just make an effort to be seen as working for Sweden and a lot would be forgiven.
That said I do not get why they almost invite controversy with not having a consistent way of acting. They know the media is all over them just waiting for a chance to be at their throats so they should make a decision about when and where they appear and then stick to it with no exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 05-16-2015, 11:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
That said I do not get why they almost invite controversy with not having a consistent way of acting. They know the media is all over them just waiting for a chance to be at their throats so they should make a decision about when and where they appear and then stick to it with no exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
I have been wondering the same too. Especially after they moved to Sweden one would think that the court press department has spoken with them about the press.

About Daniel talking with Madeleine, they have known each other for 13-14 years, and obviously they are friends, it would be really odd if they would not be talking with each other.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:52 AM
Nobility

The reason as to why Chris is not attending the Banns tomorrow has not been made public and there maybe a good reason for it. There are a lot more serious issues and events in life that are worse than not attending the Banns. I am not jumping to his defence; I am just saying.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Did you ask the average Swede in Gävle, Örnsköldsvik or Tröllhattan? If not, how can you be sure

I guess the indifference by the Swedish public will be similar with the indifference by the Dutch public regarding an official announcement ("Officiële Bekendmaking") of an intended wedding in the Dutch royal family which was already announced months ago ...

But I stand corrected: when people in Gävle, Örnsköldsvik or Tröllhattan are totally upset by the possible non-attendance of the husband of one of the sisters to the groom-to-be... One is never too old to learn something...

Old 05-16-2015, 01:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
I have been wondering the same too. Especially after they moved to Sweden one would think that the court press department has spoken with them about the press.
Add me to the list of people who wonder. I don't know why they are making things so difficult for themselves? It's really not that hard.

1. Decide what kind of events we can expect Chris and/or Madeleine to participate in.
2. Let people know what you've decided.
3. Follow through.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:32 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
Chris won't join the rest of the family for CP and Sofias wedding banns tomorrow. He has "other commitments". To put it short and not so sweet: I'm getting really tired of his behavior.

Chris O'Neill nobbar prinsparets lysning | Nyheter | Expressen

He may have prior business commitments that are important.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Add me to the list of people who wonder. I don't know why they are making things so difficult for themselves? It's really not that hard.

1. Decide what kind of events we can expect Chris and/or Madeleine to participate in.
2. Let people know what you've decided.
3. Follow through.
For some reason i feel things might get clearer after the second baby is born and P.Madeleine will be (after a while) getting in her everyday schedule; maybe she will get a couple of royal tasks of her own? and once they have there life settled with the four of them, it will also be clearer if (and in case yes, when) Mr.O'Neill will join the family on a few selected occassions throughout the royal year?
They have been having a lot of changes in their life these last months...
Old 05-16-2015, 01:45 PM
Heir Apparent

They stay to the Sweden or move to another country?
Old 05-16-2015, 02:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
They were living in New York, but have moved to Europe (I'm not sure if they have officially settled in Sweden or are still looking around in other spots too; but I'm sure other people here at these forums know that..)
Old 05-16-2015, 02:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
The family registered themselves to Sweden in the beginning of February and chose the alternative "permanently" about the move.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps, he thought he was marrying Madde and not the Royal Family and all these petty thing to be involved with. He seems to be his own man. He is not going to "fall in line". I think he wishes he was living in NY and doing what he wants to do. He has accepted no titles and still expects to live his life, as he planned.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:37 PM
Serene Highness

Unless Chris is on the Swedish payroll, the Swedes have no right to expect him to be at every event. He probably has a job and can't being running back and forth between countries. He also has a right to attend his mother's birthday. Especially since she is getting older. I think he is being nice to show up for some of the events.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Serene Highness

If he is celebrating his mother's birthday good for him. He will have time to attend royal events in the future. The wedding is coming up and I'm sure he will attend other events taking place for the wedding.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:22 PM
Aristocracy

IMHO: Chris has no obligation to make an appearance at SRF events, since he is not a royal.

However, not showing up for your brother in law's banns of marriage is just not a very nice thing to do. I'd rather see him skipping National Day.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
Old 05-16-2015, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

The palace has released this:
Royalty Speaking | Chris O'Neill won’t attend Prince Carl Philip and...

Hope now this put the things to rest. It's sad that the family has always to give explanation
Old 05-16-2015, 05:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Perhaps, he thought he was marrying Madde and not the Royal Family and all these petty thing to be involved with. He seems to be his own man. He is not going to "fall in line". I think he wishes he was living in NY and doing what he wants to do. He has accepted no titles and still expects to live his life, as he planned.
Yet, at the same time, he shows up for some more glamorous events (like meeting the pope a few weeks ago). But the bred and butter events, and family things - like the kings birthday and Carl Philips wedding banns - aren't important enough. I don't care if he never shows up at all, as long as there is some sort of consistency.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:31 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
The palace has released this:
Royalty Speaking | Chris O'Neill won’t attend Prince Carl Philip and...

Hope now this put the things to rest. It's sad that the family has always to give explanation
I don't think so. Because of the type of job he has (self employed etc) he should be able to schedule his meetings in a way that allowes him to participate in family events. For example, CG's birthday date doesnt change.
I'd understand if he never attended public royal events but that's not the case. If you marry into a royal family, you need to take care of image and perception.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I don't think so. Because of the type of job he has (self employed etc) he should be able to schedule his meetings in a way that allowes him to participate in family events. For example, CG's birthday date doesnt change.
I'd understand if he never attended public royal events but that's not the case. If you marry into a royal family, you need to take care of image and perception.
So are we suggesting that before Chris schedules his business meetings, he needs to coordinate with the Swedish Royal Calendar I would imagine that a majority of royal events are scheduled months in advance. Most business meeting [with the exception of big conferences] are not. So is Chris expected to cancel business meetings because of a potential conflict.

Quote:
Yet, at the same time, he shows up for some more glamorous events (like meeting the pope a few weeks ago). But the bred and butter events, and family things - like the kings birthday and Carl Philips wedding banns - aren't important enough. I don't care if he never shows up at all, as long as there is some sort of consistency.
Considering that Chris is Catholic, and the Pope is the Head of the Catholic Church...I would imagine he want to be present when HIS daughter is presented to the Pope.

And again, we don't know if he was not present at the private family event to celebrate his father's birthday so I don't think its a fair commet to say that the King's birthday was not important enough for him to attend. Unless you know something we are not privy to.

I am sorry but I think some people [not you per se] are nitpicking and expecting a lot from someone who is not on the Swedish payroll. While I can certainly under the importance of attending events for his brother in law...it's his mother's birthday. HIS MOTHER. As someone pointed out, why did they schedule around his mother's birthday. Maybe someone neede to put the important dates that relates to Daniel, Chris and Sofia's families on the big Swedish Royal calendar, so that the SRF does not schedule events that conflict with their family members

There are legtimate reasons to question Madeline's work ethic as she is a member of the SRF and does receive some financial support. I wonder if Chris get's picked on because of his ambigous position. As a private citizen IMO he doesn't really owe any one an explanation for his presence or lack of presence at certain events.

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine