The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 05:45 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketmom View Post
That's how I thought it was. Similar to the U.K.
That's how it is. But if you only count the people existing today, Leonore (and the sibling that arrives soon) is the only spare of her generation.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Doesn't the line of succession go: Victoria, Estelle and any future siblings, Carl Phillip and any children he may produce, Madeleine, Leonore and any future siblings?
That's the correct line of succession, but at the time of Leonore's birth, Carl Philip wasn't even engaged. If, as many suspect, the Royal Family knew that Estelle was likely to be Victoria and Daniel's only child, then Leonore would, for the time being, be this generation's "spare," hence her getting the HRH and the duchess title.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:07 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
That's the correct line of succession, but at the time of Leonore's birth, Carl Philip wasn't even engaged. If, as many suspect, the Royal Family knew that Estelle was likely to be Victoria and Daniel's only child, then Leonore would, for the time being, be this generation's "spare," hence her getting the HRH and the duchess title.
I don't understand, won't Carl Phillip be next in line, no matter what, if something happens to Victoria's children? As long as Carl Phillip is alive [children or not] he would be next in line of succession. Leonore ever being queen would really be quite a stretch and I don't image that ever entered M & C head.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
I don't understand, won't Carl Phillip be next in line, no matter what, if something happens to Victoria's children? As long as Carl Phillip is alive [children or not] he would be next in line of succession. Leonore ever being queen would really be quite a stretch and I don't image that ever entered M & C head.
Yes, ofcourse, but often people talk about this matter for "the next generation" meaning that Victoria, C-P and Madeleine are all dead, and who will be in line for the throne then...
As things stand now, there will be only Estelle (who will in this situation be Queen), then Leonore, then Madeleine's soon to be born second child.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
Yes, ofcourse, but often people talk about this matter for "the next generation" meaning that Victoria, C-P and Madeleine are all dead, and who will be in line for the throne then...

As things stand now, there will be only Estelle (who will in this situation be Queen), then Leonore, then Madeleine's soon to be born second child.

Then again we have to remember that a line of succession of six people is the longest line Sweden's had since the 1930s.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 05-09-2015, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
[....] the Royal Family knew that Estelle was likely to be Victoria and Daniel's only child [....]
Did I miss something?

Quote:
[....] hence her getting the HRH and the duchess title [....]
Without action by the King, Ms Hellqvist automatically can be addressed with her husband's style and titles, as is the centuries old social custom. See Ms Craig whom became addressed with her husband's style and titles (Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Halland). So in essence Ms Hellqvist "gets" nothing. She will only be addressed as the spouse to Prince Carl Philip.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Did I miss something?
You are taking the words out of context

acdc1 clearly wrote:

If, as many suspect, the Royal Family knew that Estelle was likely to be Victoria and Daniel's only child, then Leonore would, for the time being, be this generation's "spare," hence her getting the HRH and the duchess title.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Then again we have to remember that a line of succession of six people is the longest line Sweden's had since the 1930s.
Yep, I agree, there's no use speculating what the situation will be in 20/30/60 years time, loads of things could happen in between (for instance Estelle herself could have children when all the others who are currently in line are still very much alive and kicking)

But for some reason, people tend to forget all the possibilities and just assume that once Estelle is Queen, Leonore will be the heir; I'd be very surprised if that ever comes to be the case
Old 05-09-2015, 10:06 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post

But for some reason, people tend to forget all the possibilities and just assume that once Estelle is Queen, Leonore will be the heir; I'd be very surprised if that ever comes to be the case
It could be that once Estelle is Queen and is not married, next in line will be Carl P. and then his children. M & C children will not matter as much. I personally hope that V & D live to old age and little Estelle marries with a large brood. Carl P and M & C would just then enjoy non royal duties.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:46 AM
Courtier

Chris won't join the rest of the family for CP and Sofias wedding banns tomorrow. He has "other commitments". To put it short and not so sweet: I'm getting really tired of his behavior.

Chris O'Neill nobbar prinsparets lysning | Nyheter | Expressen
Old 05-16-2015, 08:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Maby happen something between chris and Madeleine or with someone else of the family and we don't know?
Old 05-16-2015, 08:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
Chris won't join the rest of the family for CP and Sofias wedding banns tomorrow. He has "other commitments". To put it short and not so sweet: I'm getting really tired of his behavior.

Chris O'Neill nobbar prinsparets lysning | Nyheter | Expressen
And the court isn't helping them at all. First Margareta Thorgren says to Expressen that Chris will not attend and then to Aftonbladet "Of course, everything can change, but as it is now, he has other commitments and is unable to be with, says Margareta Thorgren."
Chris O'Neill missar prinsparets lysning _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

If the reason is that he wants to attend at his mother's birthday, I understand that. But aren't there coming evening/morning flights from London to Stockholm?
Old 05-16-2015, 08:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
If the reason is that he wants to attend at his mother's birthday, I understand that. But aren't there coming evening/morning flights from London to Stockholm?
There are lots and lots of flights between London and Stockholm, so he could do both. And his mothers birthday (if that's the reason) is something he must have known about when the date for the marriage banns was discussed in the family.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenobia View Post
There are lots and lots of flights between London and Stockholm, so he could do both. And his mothers birthday (if that's the reason) is something he must have known about when the date for the marriage banns was discussed in the family.
Yes, but there weren't many Sundays for the royal family to choose. 24th May wouldn't have been a good choice because queen Silvia attends at the traditional Childhood Day. And 31st May is the Mother's Day in Sweden (Victoria's banns were on Mother's Day, though). And 7th June is too close to the wedding.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Yes, but there weren't many Sundays for the royal family to choose. 24th May wouldn't have been a good choice because queen Silvia attends at the traditional Childhood Day. And 31st May is the Mother's Day in Sweden (Victoria's banns were on Mother's Day, though). And 7th June is too close to the wedding.
That's true, but I meant that Chris knew about both events early on, so he could have made travel arrangements to be there for both events. His mothers birthday is today. He could have taken the last flight to Stockholm tonight or the first one tomorrow morning, and attended both.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:02 AM
Heir Apparent

But, in the broader scheme of things, does it really matter if Chris is there for this formal announcement? It seems fairly trivial to me.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:11 AM
Heir Apparent

I agree who cares...why does it make any difference. Not like he's skipping the wedding.

LaRae
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
But, in the broader scheme of things, does it really matter if Chris is there for this formal announcement? It seems fairly trivial to me.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe it's just like everyone else's marriage.
The old family tug of war. "We are always doing stuff with your family my family's important too " how many homes is this being said in. Just cause one person is royal doesn't mean that they can't share their time between families. He might want to see his mother.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
It is an important and traditional family event. And traditionally the whole family attends. At the reception take part the prime minister, speaker of the Parliament, governor of Värmland county, representatives of the diplomatic corps etc.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Maybe it's in itself a small thing, but as this is the "media negativity" thread and it's not the first small occasion where he didn't show, it's a discussion waiting to happen and it will just be added again and again if he continues to skip these occasions in the future..

We don't really know what's behind it; maybe the family discussed it and told Chris to go to his mothers birthday and don't worry about the banns, maybe it's a special birthday for his mother in some way etc. etc. all possibilities, but we can just react to the facts and the facts seem to be that he has a habit of skipping occasions that we, the general public, would have guessed that he'd attend

Closed Thread

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine