It's A Girl: HRH Princess Leonore Lilian Maria of Sweden: February 20, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Sophia looked nice she seems happy, does the King ever smile.

Sophia looked lovely. Those who hold obverse opinions are lacking compassion. She seems to be a lovely young lady, pasts are pasts. Being the king and having affairs is just as tacky. Chris' family wasn't there, because they don't live there and it isn't that important to anything.

I'm not a Sofia fan ... but, enough already! Just announce the engagement and get on with it. Why else would she be seated behind Queen Silvia?

People in Sweden ... she can't be half as bad as another "less than likely" royal in another European country. Wink, wink, nod, nod :)

Oh gosh...who?? Gimme a hint!:lol:

Personally I wished Sofia would have the decency to stay away from family gatherings until she is the official fiancée.
But whatever..
Is Leonore actually getting a coat of arms and monogram as well or does she have to wait till her 18th birthday?

Maybe she was invited by the Royal Family?

Sofia wouldn't have been there if she wasn't invited by the royal family.

wow, i think it will not be long until we hear of a new engagement announcement in sweden... :)

Carl Philip and Sofia have been living together for a number of years, so it seems natural that she would be invited to family events. It would be a snub otherwise. In (somewhat) keeping with protocol, she doesn't usually enter with the royal family or join them in the front row or for photo ops --- although she was in the official photo from Chris and Madeleine's lysning. She doesn't get to appear at the events that are of a more official nature though such as the Nobel banquet and the king's 40th anniversary.

Yet Daniel was never invited, nor was Jonas or Chris. I recall the talk when Chris attended an opera event with Madeleine. It was not considered a snub then

Perhaps, it was harder to admit that your daughter was sleeping with someone, before they were married, but the double standard not your son.

As I understand it, even previously there were no restrictions on who a Swedish king could marry. For a prince, on the other hand, the king's approval as well as the government's approval (on the king's recommendation) is required. The 1810 law stipulated that a prince would lose his rank if he married a woman who didn't belong to the nobility, but in 1938 that was changed to a Swedish woman who didn't belong to the nobility.

So Carl Gustaf could marry Silvia because he was already the king and as the king, he could approve his uncle's marriage.
Yes, you are right, but when Carl Gustaf's grandfather was king, until 1973, he did not approve of marriage with commoners, including all of the King's sisters except one who didn't marry a commoner.Yet, some were violated, according to Wikipedia"
A total of five Swedish princes lost their rights of succession due to violation of that provision: Oscar in 1888, Lennart in 1932, Sigvard in 1934, Carl in 1937 and Carl Johan in 1946. There is since 1980 no statutory limitation, based on either nationality or royal rank, on whom a prince or princess can marry, apart from the fact that permission must be granted.

so it seems that there was a further statute in 1980 which cleared it up.

Last edited:
Yet Daniel was never invited, nor was Jonas or Chris. I recall the talk when Chris attended an opera event with Madeleine. It was not considered a snub then

Chris and Sofia both attended Estelle's christening in May 2012. Chris and Madeleine didn't get engaged until October 2012.

Daniel's relationship with Victoria was always under more scrutiny because of her role as the Crown Princess, but Victoria and Daniel's relationship has also paved the way for her younger siblings' relationships.

Yes, you are right, but when Carl Gustaf's grandfather was king, until 1973, he did not approve of marriage with commoners, including all of the King's sisters except one who didn't marry a commoner.Yet, some were violated, according to Wikipedia"
A total of five Swedish princes lost their rights of succession due to violation of that provision: Oscar in 1888, Lennart in 1932, Sigvard in 1934, Carl in 1937 and Carl Johan in 1946. There is since 1980 no statutory limitation, based on either nationality or royal rank, on whom a prince or princess can marry, apart from the fact that permission must be granted.

so it seems that there was a further statute in 1980 which cleared it up.

Sorry, my point may have not been clear, but I meant that the changes made in 1980 had no bearing on Carl Gustaf's or Prince Bertil's weddings since those both occurred in 1976. Everything hinged on Carl Gustaf being king.

Sort of makes me wonder what would have happened if his grandfather lived longer. We know the grandfather didn't approve of marriages with commoners, but could he really afford to remove his heir's title and his grandson was going to outlive him and do as he pleased anyway.

Will the princess grew up in sweden or in the usa?

Will the princess grew up in sweden or in the usa?
We don´t know that yet. At the moment they are in NY and it´s not likely that they will change this. But to remain in line of succession Leonore has to have her school education in Sweden, so we will see what happens....

Sorry, my point may have not been clear, but I meant that the changes made in 1980 had no bearing on Carl Gustaf's or Prince Bertil's weddings since those both occurred in 1976. Everything hinged on Carl Gustaf being king.

Sort of makes me wonder what would have happened if his grandfather lived longer. We know the grandfather didn't approve of marriages with commoners, but could he really afford to remove his heir's title and his grandson was going to outlive him and do as he pleased anyway.

That's interesting and something we will probably never know. Gustaf VI Adolf was well aware that it was only his young Crown Prince and the elderly Prince Bertil in the line of succession so he must have thought about it. As we know he didn't allowed Bertil and Lilian to marry but he approved their relationship and even accepted her to appear as Bertil's fiancee during his 90:th birthday celebrations in 1972. It is said that he during the same time asked Bertil to wait to marry her after Crown Prince Carl Gustaf had married so to me it is apparent that he expected that he wouldn't live much longer and that Crown Prince Carl Gustaf would marry as King. And as King he could marry the woman he wanted.

Quite odd that obviously no one of king's sisters of their families attended, just Patrick and Maline Sommerlath. Johan T Lindwall wrote from the chapel that there weren't Madeleine's and Chris' friends either. Lindwall had seen princess Birgitta in Stockholm on Friday.

Yes I found that strange too,I thought at least Princess Christina and her husband would be there.

It looks like an event that was put together rather quickly. Not very much planning involved.

It looks like an event that was put together rather quickly. Not very much planning involved.

They knew from last summer when Madeleine told to her family that she is pregnant, that a Te Deum will be held. They have known that the child's due date was in the end of February. They have arranged a Te Deum in 2012 just a day after Estelle was born. They have arranged a Te Deum last September due to the King's Jubilee.
Countess Marianne Bernadotte was there, and Bertil Bernadotte, the son of Folke Bernadotte. And Patrick Sommerlath. But no one of princess Christina's family, of from the families of king's other sisters. Some royal expert said that princess Christina was possibly abroad, but she has three sons.
Princess Christina was ill when Estelle's Te Deum was held, but Tord Magnuson was there.

When Estelle was born, the chief editors of Expressen and Aftonbladet said both that they leave the young family in peace and don't publish photos of them walking at Haga Park or send photographers after them. And that they will not publish any paparazzi photos if they get photos of Estelle from the court now and then. They have kept their promise.
Obviously things are different now since Expressen has now the photos of M, D and Leonore from a couple days ago at their website on their video.
Titta, vem som gör sin debut i barnvagnen Extra Expressen

Last edited:
When Estelle was born, the chief editors of Expressen and Aftonbladet said both that they leave the young family in peace and don't publish photos of them walking at Haga Park or send photographers after them. And that they will not publish any paparazzi photos if they get photos of Estelle from the court now and then. They have kept their promise.
Obviously things are different now since Expressen has now the photos of M, D and Leonore from a couple days ago at their website on their video.
Titta, vem som gör sin debut i barnvagnen Extra Expressen

imo the heir family cannot be compared with madde's family, the media will have to work with victoria for the next 40 years while madde will fade into privacy, already now she is seen more as a celebrity than a royal for the magazines. she does not have the standing to cut such a deal and because she is not full time royal and claims her privacy, she will have to make do with the paps.

imo the heir family cannot be compared with madde's family, the media will have to work with victoria for the next 40 years while madde will fade into privacy, already now she is seen more as a celebrity than a royal for the magazines. she does not have the standing to cut such a deal and because she is not full time royal and claims her privacy, she will have to make do with the paps.

Yes, I agree, even the swedish newspapers see Madeleine more like a celebrity than a royal.

Last edited:
Very sweet. The Bernadotte's are no more "royal" than anyone else. Their founder was a French Marshall from Pau , a very decent man and his wife a Clary from a bourgeois family of silk merchants in Marsailles.

Beautiful baby and a lovely name!

I'm not a facebook user so forgive me for being out of date. I assume royal houses use facebook/twitter etc to keep in touch with more people.

I do wonder though, in the case of someone like Princess Madeleine who uses it regularly, does it help prevent unwarranted interest (i.e. she feels she has more control over information being released ) by paparrazzi and gossip magazines?

Madeleine seems to strive for privacy but engages in facebook, big wedding etc. As she still undertakes engagements in Sweden, is it unlikely that she will achieve such privacy in the short term?

I think Madeline coonects with fans and supporters of causes on FB in order to achieve 2 main goals: to keep up popularity of royal family, in a word to be a modern princess, and to help causes.

Beautiful baby and a lovely name!

I'm not a facebook user so forgive me for being out of date. I assume royal houses use facebook/twitter etc to keep in touch with more people.

I do wonder though, in the case of someone like Princess Madeleine who uses it regularly, does it help prevent unwarranted interest (i.e. she feels she has more control over information being released ) by paparrazzi and gossip magazines?

Madeleine seems to strive for privacy but engages in facebook, big wedding etc. As she still undertakes engagements in Sweden, is it unlikely that she will achieve such privacy in the short term?
I think that by this last photo and text on her official Facebook Madeleine opened a very private door to the most private part of their life. Once you have opened it, it isn't easy to close it. This photo and text is much more private than the Kate Gabor photos of Estelle at the court website. Since she is now willing to share her most private thoughts and photos, she can't complain about the press interest and paparazzis. If she moved to New York to get privacy, she has obvioudly changed her mind.

its the old pattern, madde is still overwhelmed and wants to share everything. she is not so organized/included into the royal court eg like victoria who has to think longterm strategic as heiress with estelle.
as soon as the kid becomes older, more active it will be a case of 'spirits that i've cited, my commands ignore', the paps won't go away. leonore will be a princess for life and the interest will not fade even if she doesnt return to sweden to be eligible as spare, in case victoria & daniel don't have more children.
its easy and exciting to deal with the paps when pushing a stroller with a newborn but it will get more and more annoying when leonore grows up and doesnt understand/want the attention.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom