It's A Girl: HRH Princess Leonore Lilian Maria of Sweden: February 20, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really surprised to see Chris holding a press conference after the birth. Yes I know the media will want to know lots but if Madeleine wants a private life in NY rather than an official life in Sweden she needs to guard her privacy better imo. Tome there seems almost more 'fuss' around this birth than Estelle's.
I'll be surprised if the baby girl doesn't get a royal title to keep Madie happy

It's not actually that strange for Chris to hold a press conference. Even if the girl wouldn't get the princess title there would still be a lot of media and interest in the birth since her mother is a Swedish royal. By holding a press conference the media gets answers to most of their questions and allows the family a bit more privacy - if they hadn't held a press conference there would probably be a lot more interest and speculation (and I bet people would start making rumors about the new-born having som sort of complications, it would look really suspicious if they tried to keep everything about her a secret). It's a win-win for both parties: the media's thirst for all things royal is somewhat quenched and Madeleine and Chris won't be pestered about journalists who wants to know everything about the baby.

How wonderful that everyone is happy and healthy and arrived safely :)

In a few months/years we will have many cute family pics to look forward too, with Estelle *and* this little girl in it..

I absolutely ADORED how Chris managed to handle the press! Out of curiosity, I've never seen such a thing as the footprint of a newborn, is it something typically american?
By the way, dos anyone know when the name will be revealed?

Let me just say off topic....Chris Oneil is one nice looking man!! Congrats to them both!!!!!

The baby seems to be a bit small: Could that be because of Madde's smoking? Because I read that if you smoke during the pregnancy the child can be born underweight

They didn´t announce the date. It is sure it won´t be before Monday, but I guess it could even be at the end of the week...

Oh I truly hope they don't wait that long! :sad:

3150 grams is about 6.95lbs so not that small. It maybe she was even a little early so sounds about right to me.

well I think that they will not pose FOR the press, they will release a photo later of the three announcing her name….:)

Congratulations to CHris and Princess Madeleine, cant wait to see them with their Little angel.

The name announcement will be an official occasion where the Riksmarskalk (not sure what the proper English title is) will hold a press conference and reveal the princess name, just like with Estelle. Since the ing and queen are in NY at the moment an announcement is not likely to be made until the end of the week (as they have to be back in Sweden for that, in order for the king to reveal the name(s) and titles to the riksmarskalk and the cabinet and so on).

I absolutely ADORED how Chris managed to handle the press! Out of curiosity, I've never seen such a thing as the footprint of a newborn, is it something typically american?
By the way, dos anyone know when the name will be revealed?

Hello, Marty91charmed: I don't know if the footprints are done in other countries. But it has been done in the US for many years. They are so sweet. ?

...I can't recall any other country where the move abroad of a junior royal caused so much envy and criticism (Friso, Constantijn, Martha-Louise and even Cristina) in the gossip press. This criticism on Madeleine living in New York is quite telling of the Swedish attitude perhaps, but at least it seems rather provincial.
Thank you for your injection of a little common sense into this topic. We can't compare Madeliene to Victoria, but we can compare her to the other junior royals you mentioned above.
I think it is because she is pretty, sorry to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
3150 grams is about 6.95lbs so not that small. It maybe she was even a little early so sounds about right to me.
Smaller than average US baby which is 7.5lbs, and considering the King and Queen planned to be there around the birth , she was probably about a week earlier than her due date which cuts down the weight but of course still full term and thankfully all are healthy!

Last edited:
Finally I have seen the video of the press conference. Very impressed how Chris dealt with the press. That's a very happy father for sure. And the little footprint on his forearm is so cute! Can't wait for the official name announcement. As Chris said: I wish I could (tell you the name)! And I would ! But I am not allowed to. ?

Hello, Marty91charmed: I don't know if the footprints are done in other countries. But it has been done in the US for many years. They are so sweet. ��

It's not done in the UK. We only ever do hand and footprints for stillbirths.

I don't understand why people say the baby is small. 3 kilos is a normal weight. My niece was bor with 3,05 kilos and she was completely healthy. And been born one week before the expected date is not a big deal. The baby's weight wouldn't change that much in one week.
And regarding the name, can't believe we have to wait for days to know it!

Exactly Cristine. Any baby over 2.5kg is considered a normal birth weight. Anything under 2.5kg is considered a low birth weight.

The baby was not "early" either, as she was due in March and anything past 37 weeks gestation is considered full term.

Any news about the baby's name?
BTW, Feb 20 is my birthday :)

:previous: Not yet, we have to wait until King Carl Gustaf's cabinet meeting. :flowers:

Sweden waiting for first glimpse of new Royal baby born in New York City | Mail Online (I would say that it's not just Sweden, but royal watchers all over the world!)

It's not done in the UK. We only ever do hand and footprints for stillbirths.

I'm from the UK and my mother still has an ink print of my newborn footprint/hand. Although I agree, it's generally not that "big" over here.

I was telling my mother about Madeleine and Chris's daughter yesterday, and we were discussing what surname she will have. My mother thinks that she will be an O'Neill, whereas I think that she will be a Bernadotte, because Princess Estelle is a Bernadotte and not a Westling. But then again, Daniel has a title, so I'm still not sure. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I was telling my mother about Madeleine and Chris's daughter yesterday, and we were discussing what surname she will have. My mother thinks that she will be an O'Neill, whereas I think that she will be a Bernadotte, because Princess Estelle is a Bernadotte and not a Westling. But then again, Daniel has a title, so I'm still not sure. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Maybe she'll be a Bernadotte O'Neill or an O'Neill Bernadotte.

Maybe she'll be a Bernadotte O'Neill or an O'Neill Bernadotte.

It will be interesting to see which surname she gets, I quite like the idea of a "double barrelled" one. It's a bit like what HM and Prince Philip did with their surnames and combining them into Mountbatten-Windsor.

I'm from the UK and my mother still has an ink print of my newborn footprint/hand. Although I agree, it's generally not that "big" over here.
It's no longer done anymore, certainly not in the maternity units I have worked in. It's only done for stillbirths now.

Last edited by a moderator:

IMO it could go either way!
I'm leaning towards Bernadotte O'Neill, but I won't bet on it :).

viv

Chris O'Neill is Mr. Charm! And speaks very well with an accent which is international, sort of British but not extremely so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom