It's A Girl: HRH Princess Leonore Lilian Maria of Sweden: February 20, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The U.S. media are not "uninformed" at all. That is an insult and unwarranted. They are very much informed on things that matter but they just don't give a hoot about royals other than the British Royal Family. It is because they are aware that 99.9% of the American people care nothing about royals unless they're British and then only the top four or five Brit royals (Eliz, Chas, Will, Kate, Harry). They report on what people want to know about. To call them ignorant is just unnecessary. A bunch of royals in a small, unimportant country is not something the American media need to keep up with. Sweden is not exactly a world power and what happens there is of no interest to most people in the States. Why would you think otherwise?

Thanks to the internet, those of us who do want to know about other royals can do so, because we want to. We don't expect our media to keep us informed about the Swedes.

So, call the american media uninformed is an insult. What about call Sweden an "unimportant country"?

What if Madeleine decides she wants to be a wife and mother and support her husband in his endeavors and make New York her home? What if she no longer wants to participate in any "duties" in Sweden? What if she doesn't care if the Swedish people like her or not? What would the Swedish people think about that?

Thats her personal choice to do so. But I think the fulfillment of the obligations is what people want to see.

Since Madeleine and the new baby have Brazilian ancestry, probably Brazilian magazines will report the birth, as they did with Madeleine's wedding. And some sites from here reported the birth today.

Nasce filha da princesa Madeleine da Suécia - Terra Brasil

Nasce em NY o primeiro filho da Princesa Madeleine da Suécia | Notas | Glamurama

Nasce filha da princesa Madeleine da Suécia - Notícias - UOL Celebridades

Nasce filha da princesa Madeleine da Sucia - ltima Hora News - Seu Jornalismo Online.

About the guessing of the name:
On TV4 their royal experts Elisabeth Tarras Wahlberg (the former Marshal of the court) and Claes Larsson wrote 4 names on a paper and put them to closed envelopes with the morning show hosts. The envelopes will be opened after the names are told.
Later on the day they were interviewed on TV4. ETW told that she wrote "Alice" to the paper and Larsson told that he wrote "Alice" and "Victoria".

I hope for Alice. It's a beautiful name and will be a wonderful tribute to Queen Silvia's family, since Alice is her mother's name.

What if Madeleine decides she wants to be a wife and mother and support her husband in his endeavors and make New York her home? What if she no longer wants to participate in any "duties" in Sweden? What if she doesn't care if the Swedish people like her or not? What would the Swedish people think about that?

I consider she is perfectly entitled to do this, but the indications are, so far anyway, that this is not her intention. At the moment it seems to me that she wants to have her cake and eat it, too.

There was discussion here not long ago about her not becoming "Mrs O'Neill" but remaining a member of her father's family and retaining the privileges she has as a Swedish princess and duchess, and now it seems her daughter is to become a princess and duchess and this is not exactly consistent with Madeleine wanting to live a quite life as a wife and mother in the USA. Perhaps she's decided to wait till their daughter gets close to school age and then they'll make a decision one way or the other and if that's what she has in mind she has to appease the Swedish people in the meantime and that will mean performing some duties over there.

Last edited:
In the main, it is crucial that mother and child are doing well. To experience a birth, especially that of their own child is something unique and special. Its absolutly fine if he is a little bit 'unsorted' and looks untidy hours after birth of his first child. His smile full of happiness outshines everything ....

I quite agree. It was much more endearing than if he had been freshly shaven and in a jacket and tie. He looked exactly like what he was...exhausted and happy.

Madeleine is very, very fortunate to have found this guy, imo.;)

Acutally to clarify there is a difference--a Native American is someone whi is a member of any of the first groups of people living in North America or South America;

A native American is someone born in the US. So yes, you were incorrect when you capitalized the word native.

Oh, sorry, not incorrect at all. You just want to make sure your view is the correct one so as to ensure political correctness.

I was born on the soil of this great country. I am a Native American. Now give it a rest. ;-)

Chris looks sooooo happy. Their love for each other is so wonderful to see. God bless the new baby. And may they have a wonderful and blessed family life.

Last edited by a moderator:
As before explained in detail by the court of the planets most desirable vintage accumulation of sources and mainstream reporting and documentation on the web of plain democracy and inclusion from statistics of aforementioned crowning and placing of descendants in historical correlation ascribing or mentioned but not relevant in considering facts or markings pertaining to hereditary reality in the makeup running diplomacy inhibits but not forbids more or less kinship handed down from genealogy sent or enveloped by transcendency revelant intertwining intervention or a professing manifestation of sheer will denied or worked into the calling of difficult but interesting matters once disclosed or relayed openly to the world and the constitute of pensative mindedness timed of importance or shared through the forefathers where formerly heirship and familiarity by default or devine inclination of relatedness to regal endeavors and national involvement again where landings and freely closedness makes congressional plight a new interpretation of right and wrong in the sort of manipulation which is contrived or expressed but not suppressed or innately misunderstood. That is another topic. Therefore the Royals have a job under their wing that never should end. May they discern the reality of truth in all they oversee and adhere to. Good luck in that right George. Yes I agree. That's why they are history. The people were helped by them way back when. So I respect that. Cheers. By everyone.

Chris says the baby has brown eyes. I don't think Chris has brown eyes, which means the baby received her eyes from her grandmother Queen Silvia! :flowers:
Ithink is too early to say he and Madeleine have blue eyes, so I am guessing she will have blue eyes!, may be now they look dark blue and as dark colour he might think is brown, but certenly to early to say!!!!!!!!
Congratulations to the proud parents!

Last edited:
I'm so happy for Madeleine and Chris and their new baby girl - what wonderful news! As an American, I do think it's quite nice to have a member of the Swedish Royal Family born here, though it seems to not be of interest to most Americans, unfortunately. Although I know that US news sources don't pay much attention to non-British royals, I assumed I'd see a mention of the birth somewhere, but I was quite surprised that I'd been up and for two or three hours this morning (and had checked all my regular news sites, and also had CNN on TV) before I heard the news. Even then, it was only because I saw a random celeb blog post a tweet about it. Since I'm not able to check these forums every day, I was counting on People.com to keep me in the loop, but their story about it had already been bumped off their front page by the time I got up. Funny how these things work.

Anyway, I'm so thrilled about the baby's arrival, and I can't wait to hear her name. I think Alice would be a lovely name, but I don't know what to expect (I'm still recovering from my shock over the choice of the name Estelle, lol). And it was so incredibly sweet to see how happy Chris is. Tbh, I haven't paid that much attention to him before, but he seems like a genuinely sweet, caring guy.

This is lovely news and I can't wait to hear the baby's name and title.

We may all be in for a surprise. The King has 4 sisters and none of their children are princes or princesses of Sweden.
Princess Margaretha married Mr John Ambler; their children do not have titles (Except Sibylla who is a Baroness by marriage)
Princess Birgitta married Prince Johann Georg von Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen and their children carry only his title.
Princess Desirée married Baron Niclas Silfverschiöld and their children carry his title.
Princess Christina married Mr Tord Gösta Magnuson and their children have no titles.

I know times change but I would not be surprised if the baby will 'just' be Baby O'Neill. Madeleine is Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland - maybe the baby will be a countess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland.

Maybe our Swedish friends have more insight knowledge about this. :)

Yes we know times change. Back when the king's sisters were married, women could not inherit. That is why his sisters lost their titles, except the one who married a Prince. And like in the UK, titles could only pass in the male line, so they inherited titles from their fathers.

In 1981 as we all know, Sweden introduced equal primogeniture. This means daughters can inherit as well. Daniel was given a title, this reflects the new changes. Chris would have been given a title, but he refused to stop working in private business and give up his American citizenship. The courts have already said that the baby will be a Princess. The only question is will she be in line for the throne. She can be Princes..... and not inline for the throne, like Friso, or Louis of Lux and his sons.

No it isn´t. Madeleine was pregnant at her wedding but she probably didn´t know .
According to BUNTE the royal court has confirmed it was a natural birth

Actually use a conception calculator. If the baby had been due on the 20th (which she was not), the last day of possible conception would have been the 3rd of June. True that is 5 days before they married, but Madeline was due on the 25th. If this was not a honeymoon baby, she pregnant maybe a day or two likely before.

Actually use a conception calculator. If the baby had been due on the 20th (which she was not), the last day of possible conception would have been the 3rd of June. True that is 5 days before they married, but Madeline was due on the 25th. If this was not a honeymoon baby, she pregnant maybe a day or two likely before.

How on earth did this get raised? Does anyone really care when the child was conceived? :wacko:

And, if they do, are they going to admit it? :lol:

Many people in Sweden would respect Madeleine more than now, if she would do that, no longer participate in duties in Sweden. That's the impression I get while reading swedish forums and magazines. Many people see Madeleine as a person who doesn't want to do the normal, "boring" royal work around Sweden, just attend at glittering celebrations and events. In the last years Madeleine has come to Sweden only to attend at some family celebration and possibly done one other official duty connected to the visit, like attending at the opening of the parliament last September when she was in Sweden because of king's 40th Jubilee. She hardly attends at some event alone in Sweden. So, if she would give up her royal title, people in Sweden would see her almost as much as now, since I think that she would of course attend at family events though.
I think that we should not blame Madeleine on everything, her father and mother could have done a lot better work in raising her and giving her a clearer role in the royal court. Victoria has always had a clear path, she is the future queen, but the king and queen haven't taken care of Carl Philip's and Madeleine's future. The king is still frustrated that Carl Philip isn't the heir and Madeleine was the youngest and got spoiled because of that.
Regarding the future of the swedish monarchy, something should be done soon, but this isn't the right thread to discuss of it about.

Last edited:
I think that we should not blame Madeleine on everything, her father and mother could have done a lot better work in raising her and giving her a clearer role in the royal court. Victoria has always had a clear path, she is the future queen, but the king and queen haven't taken care of Carl Philip's and Madeleine's future. The king is still frustrated that Carl Philip isn't the heir and Madeleine was the youngest and got spoiled because of that.

Agree 100%!!!

Other than that, I think that Chris did well in front of the media, he knows how to conduct himself well, but he could have taken a shower and gotten a shave before stepping into the limelight. C&M are all about attention and drama, that's why there is so much fuzz about this birth.

How are C & M all about attention and drama? Since Madeleine broke up with Jonas it seems that her life has been drama-free.

I am quite sure that the hullabaloo about the birth is a decision of the court. Chris O'Neill never seemed too impressed by it.

I still don't see why she would be more spoiled than Martha-Louise, Constantijn, Elena, etc. For the Swedish press her biggest crime is that she moved to New York. While for some here it seems that Madeleine's biggest crime is that she is NOT Victoria. I can't blame her for any of the two TBH.

What do the magazines want her to do? Fly back and forth twice a week to cut a ribbon somewhere? I can't recall any other country where the move abroad of a junior royal caused so much envy and criticism (Friso, Constantijn, Martha-Louise and even Cristina) in the gossip press. This criticism on Madeleine living in New York is quite telling of the Swedish attitude perhaps, but at least it seems rather provincial.

Futhermore, I don't see why it is a problem if CP and Madeleine do not have many official duties. There is no need for it, Sweden is not that large. They have 4 active main family members which should be enough. They should have encouraged both CP and Madeleine to get a job though. M. solved it by working for the childhood foundation and getting a rich husband. CP however seems to be crashing cars mainly. I find it a good thing if junior family members are sidelined. Due to their position they can do very little to strenghten the monarchy while they can harm it substantially in case of misbehavior (see the Infanta Cristina). The king however seems to think differently about this, banning Daniel to the 2nd row at a few occassions. While he and Victoria are the faces of the monarchy. I think his role should be more prominent.

---
As for the baby's title: I think a Belgian scenario where possibly 50 princes of Belgium will exist in 25 years, should be avoided. The focus should be on the main characters: King, Queen, Victoria, Daniel and Estelle. The children of CP and Madeleine could have received a 'lower' title, Princes Bernadotte perhaps. I think it is also handier for the children themselves, they will be less critisized and will be more free to pursue their own carreers and interests.

Last edited:
I must have read it in the thread but for the life of me i cannot remember when the cabinet will be held. I had read today, but then somebody said in several days.
Anyone please?

I must have read it in the thread but for the life of me i cannot remember when the cabinet will be held. I had read today, but then somebody said in several days.
Anyone please?
They didn´t announce the date. It is sure it won´t be before Monday, but I guess it could even be at the end of the week...

They didn´t announce the date. It is sure it won´t be before Monday, but I guess it could even be at the end of the week...

Thank you, I must have seen some wrong info!

I was really surprised to see Chris holding a press conference after the birth. Yes I know the media will want to know lots but if Madeleine wants a private life in NY rather than an official life in Sweden she needs to guard her privacy better imo. Tome there seems almost more 'fuss' around this birth than Estelle's.
I'll be surprised if the baby girl doesn't get a royal title to keep Madie happy

Congratulations to the happy parents and to the Swedes. It'll be
interesting to see how the King will deal with the title & succession issue!

There was discussion here not long ago about her not becoming
"Mrs O'Neill" but remaining a member of her father's family and
retaining the privileges she has as a Swedish princess and duchess,
and now it seems her daughter is to become a princess and duchess
and this is not exactly consistent with Madeleine wanting to live a
quite life as a wife and mother in the USA. Perhaps she's decided to
wait till their daughter gets close to school age and then they'll make
a decision one way or the other and if that's what she has in mind she
has to appease the Swedish people in the meantime and that will
mean performing some duties over there.

IMO Roslyn is on to something here! I don't see Princess Madeleine
settling as plain Mrs. O'Neill either. At the end of the day royals distancing
themselve from protocol, traditions, duties and press
attention - or whatever ;) - don't want to give up their privileges.
They're brought up with them, that's 'normal' to them! Another
example is the -albeit hard working - Princess Royal (Anne).

Of course she could chose to stay in the US and become a 'long
distance' Swedish princess. However the question IMHO is the future
fabric of the Swedish RF! The King and Queen are getting older and
Victoria & Daniel will eventually need support. Will it be Madeleine &
Chris or Carl-Philip and Sophia or both couples?
As for the population of Sweden and the number of performing
royals:
For comparison:In Denmark three royal couples are 'looking after'
5.5 million Danes and the various kinds of representation abroad,
which seems about right!
I'm sure that three performing royal couples won't be too much for
Sweden and her 9 million inhabitants.
Sorry if I raise this question in the wrong place, but IMO it must be
included in the general Picture!

viv

Last edited:
Now for something completely different.
When do you think Madeleine will leave the hospital, i.e. what is normal in USA when the parents are very wealthy?

Also, can we expect the new wonder to be presented to the press, with her parents? I can't remember what happened when Estelle was born, but it is as you know quite common for royal babies to be presented to the press shortly after the birth.
Or do you think they will go for the non-public approach and present some photos to the press later on?

Non-public approach?? I doubt it! I imagine Maddie, Chris and the baby will all appear for the press.

Now for something completely different.
When do you think Madeleine will leave the hospital,.....

I consider that depends largely on how much the poor woman's vagina and perenium were traumatised as the baby made her way from her mother's uterus to independence.

Let the poor woman have rest while she can.

...IMO Roslyn is on to something here! I don't see Princess Madeleine
settling as plain Mrs. O'Neill either. At the end of the day royals distancing
themselve from protocol, traditions, duties and press
attention - or whatever ;) - don't want to give up their privileges.
They're brought up with them, that's 'normal' to them!
I agree.

With the current ratings of the King, the main burden is very much on Victoria and Daniel, and they could really need a helping hand! Especially if they, as we must expect, have at least one more child.
Even if C-P gets married to Sophia Hellquist, that will take some warming up in regards to the Swedish public. She won't get an easy start, that's for sure!
Of course we cannot expect Madeleine to take on too much for the next six months or so, but then I believe she ought to take on a number of public duties back in Sweden.
And Chris has to tag along as often as possible. Sorry old chap, you married a Princess.

I'm not Swedish, if I were I would expect Madeleine and her husband to shoulder some of the burden back in Sweden. That is if Madeleine wish to remain a de facto member of the SRF in the eyes of the Swedes.
If not, she will be demoted to a distant and not particularly relevant member of the SRF.
Harsh words, but the SRF has a crisis going on right now. They'll survive the crisis, no doubt. But still, Victoria, Daniel and Queen Silvia seriously need some help. (I omitted C-P, because in this context royal couples do carry more punch, in respect to in particular public duties abroad).

If Madeleine choose not to share a considerable part of the burden at least for the next few years, I would if I were Swedish say: Fair enough, it's your life. I hope you will have a happy life in USA, but don't come back later on and expect you or your children to be treated with the same respect as the rest of the SRF.
It's a hard world.

New moms leave the hospital pretty quickly here, within 24 to 48 hours with a healthy birth.
Victoria snuck out of the hospital within 12 hours of Estelle's birth.

I don´t think we will have pictures of them leaving the hospital. I could imagine that they release a picture on the day the government gathering will be held and the name will be announced.

But it surprises me that there are no pictures of the King and Queen so far.

I consider that depends largely on how much the poor woman's vagina and perenium were traumatised as the baby made her way from her mother's uterus to independence.

Let the poor woman have rest while she can.

Here in the U.S. it largely depends on what insurance dictates, the individual mother's condition - not so much.

I'd expect to see them go today. While I would not be surprised if they have one of those "cadillac" health insurance plans which gives them so much more, most people are happier recuperating at home. It's not like she has any other obligations at home, such as other babies, or laundry, cooking, etc.

Can we keep this thread civil,any further juvenile snipes/comments will be deleted.

Several posts have been removed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom