It's A Girl: HRH Princess Leonore Lilian Maria of Sweden: February 20, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have also heard the name will be revealed tomorrow? Can anyone confirm this?

This is from Twitter

royal whispers ‏@royalwhisper 51 mins
"@crownprincely: The name of the baby will be revealed tomorrow by the King at the cabinet meeting at the Royal Palace in Sweden."

I dont know if its true but if it is I have some sympathy for Chris cos I bet he wanted to tell the entire world today and he couldn't - protocol doesnt allow it.

Yesterday the little daughter of Madeleine and Christopher was born, today the daughter of Prince Jaime of Bourbon-Parma and his wife Viktória, Princess Zita Clara has made her first steps in world.

Two years ago there was also a nice birth coincidence. At 22-02-2012 Prince Charles-Philippe d'Orleans and his wife, former Duchess of Cadaval get parents of the little Princess Isabelle d'Orleans. One day later our always beloved Princess Estelle was born.

The king is flying back to Sweden for a cabinet meeting tomorrow? Or is he really here in the US? Definitely some conflicting information here.

thank you - but when can poor old Chris release the name?

I guess we'll have to wait for the cabinet meeting :(
im really curious what the names are ...when he was asked about the middle names one could tell that he wanted to tell us. ......I hope we can get a few pics by tomorrow at least....it would ease the waiting

Last edited:
Madeleine has not renounced her citizenship, thus the child can have dual Swedish and American citizenship. It matters not just where you were born, but also the citizenship of your parents. If there was an issue, she could have either given birth in Sweden or they could have done what the Dutch did with the birth of Margriet and temporarily take over part of the hospital as part of their embassy so that she was born on Dutch soil.

Chris says the baby has brown eyes. I don't think Chris has brown eyes, which means the baby received her eyes from her grandmother Queen Silvia! :flowers:

Yesterday the little daughter of Madeleine and Christopher was born, today the daughter of Prince Jaime of Bourbon-Parma and his wife Viktória, Princess Zita Clara has made her first steps in world.

Two years ago there was also a nice birth coincidence. At 22-02-2012 Prince Charles-Philippe d'Orleans and his wife, former Duchess of Cadaval get parents of the little Princess Isabelle d'Orleans. One day later our always beloved Princess Estelle was born.

Principessa: thank you telling us of the birth of a new little Dutch cousin for all those adorable children the Dutch Royal family has. And I like Clara Zita; a nice name. My very best wishes to them all.

Chris had many hours to get ready for the press conference, there had gone over 13 hours after the girl was born. Daniel held the conference 2,5 hours after Estelle was born. Chris looked quite untidy and spoke too much for a person who "respectfully requested to remain a private citizen".

The Mistress of the Robes, countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister has told to Aftonbladet that although the two doctors do the Statement of Witness, there will be a ceremony just like for Estelle also later in Sweden.
- It will be now also, in a slightly different way perhaps. We'll see when the whole thing clears up, but there will be some form of witness history with the same people we had last time, she says to Aftonbladet.
So you be with later?
- I can assure you that it will be, it will be that in some form.
Barnet blir bevittnat i Sverige Nyheter Aftonbladet

HArsh criticism and unwarranted IMO. He has just become a father for the 1st time and is excited and loving of his wife and child.

Nothing on YouTube as yet but the Mail Online link in Al_bina's post at #160 contains a short video of Chris at the hospital press announcement.

v the happy father
Thumbnail images are small cropped portions of larger photographs.

Attachments

• Chis O'Neill 1.jpg
    Chis O'Neill 1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 409
  • Chris O'Neill 2.jpg
    Chris O'Neill 2.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 523
Last edited:
Congratulations to the new parents!!!

Naturally, with the uninformed media that we have here in the US, we would have to go to a news source outside the US to find out about a baby princess born in New York! But, thankfully, with the internet, we can do that! The media here certainly wouldn't know about a Swedish Baby Princess. They are fairly ignorant regarding the middle part of our Country.
I thought Chris handled the press conference quite nicely. I can't imagine having to do that after being up all night and having such an emotional experience as the birth of your first child.
So glad for them.

To be a US citizen by birth the little girl needs to not only be born in the United States but also "subject to the jurisdiction thereof”.

The issue is a complex and interesting one but I tend to think the answer is fairly clear.

The issue was examined by the US Supreme Court in 1897 in United States v. Wong Kim Ark (169 U.S. 649). Traditionally the children of foreign ambassadors were excluded, because they are not born “within the allegiance, the obedience, or the power, or, as would be said at this day, within the jurisdiction, of the King”. The King is mentioned here because the US Supreme Court was required to apply English Common Law when resolving the issue, which is just one of the
interesting factors but not one which should be a surprise to any lawyer. What I find particularly interesting, and relevant, is that the reason for the exception relating to the children of foreign ambassadors existed because “their fathers carried their own nationality with them”.

Another relevant question is whether the fact only one of her parents is an American citizen makes a difference. The issue has been examined in depth by Professor Lawrence B. Solum of Georgetown University who published a paper “Originalism and the Natural Born Citizen Clause” (the paper is available for free download on the internet). In a footnote to the 2010 revision of the 2008 paper he stated:

“In an earlier version of this article, I used the phrase “whose parents are citizens of the United States.” Some readers have misread the original as implying that someone born of only one American parent on American soil is not a “natural born citizen.” That reading ignores the context of the original sentence, which was meant to provide a case where “natural born citizen” status was indisputable. The sentence did not provide criteria for clear cases of exclusion, which were provided by the very next sentence. Based on my reading of the historical sources, there is no credible case that a person born on American soil with one American parent was clearly not a “natural born citizen.” Indeed, the conventional view is that almost anyone born on American soil would be a natural born citizen: limited exceptions may have existed for the children of foreign Ambassadors, for the children of slaves, and perhaps others. This article does not address the question whether the conventional view is correct. “

It is only the "foreign ambassador" exception that is (or could be) relevant to Chris & Madeleine's daughter, and, as noted above, that exception only existed because “their fathers carried their own nationality with them”. Since in this case it is the father who has the US nationality I don't think the foreign ambassador argument would be a strong one but it would be interesting.

In all the circumstances can it seriously be argued that Chris & Madeleine’s little girl was not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States when born? And it seems she would be entitled to run for President. Unless having dual citizenship would stop that. And also being a foreign princess. I haven't looked into that. :amflag: :swedenflag:

Does anyone with more knowledge of the US laws on the issue than I do have a different POV? I would welcome your input. Maybe the discussion should be on a different thread though.

Last edited:
Chris had many hours to get ready for the press conference, there had gone over 13 hours after the girl was born. Daniel held the conference 2,5 hours after Estelle was born. Chris looked quite untidy and spoke too much for a person who "respectfully requested to remain a private citizen".

In the main, it is crucial that mother and child are doing well. To experience a birth, especially that of their own child is something unique and special. Its absolutly fine if he is a little bit 'unsorted' and looks untidy hours after birth of his first child. His smile full of happiness outshines everything ....

Last edited:
Congratulations to the proud parents and their family. Now let's get down to the important details: name, title (if any) and pictures! ;)

Last edited:
Does the birth of their little daughter increase Madeleine's and Christopher's popularity in Sweden?

Does the birth of their little daughter increase Madeleine's and Christopher's popularity in Sweden?

This is to be hoped .....we will see! Personally I would welcome to see such a development.

Last edited:
F*** Cancer is a registered charity in Canada and the US

Thanks for explanation :flowers:. I couldn't see second word. I've never heard of this fundation before. That's a strong name and I'm not sure what I think about Chris supporting it so openly. You know, wearing whatever with the f-word, no matter what it stands for. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

:previous: It's just a word, but it's a powerful word because it's so controversial, and if it gets people's attention and they remember the phrase then it's succeeded in its purpose for the charity.

Thanks for explanation :flowers:. I couldn't see second word. I've never heard of this fundation before. That's a strong name and I'm not sure what I think about Chris supporting it so openly. You know, wearing whatever with the f-word, no matter what it stands for. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

It is meant postively and many people wear that bracelet with pride. So take it in the way it is meant - we will beat this thing!

Don't think the birth itself will do that. They are in need of better popularity here in Sweden. I think that depends on how much they will be in Sweden with their child in the future and performing royal engagements. The swedish people wants to see a lot more of Madeleine.

Now when there are so many days before the cabinet meeting, the press can speculate about almost everything with every possible expert they can dig out.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh for Madeleine and Chris. But I believe that when you have privileges, you also have responsibilities. And at the moment it feels like Madeleine and Chris want to have the cake and eat it. I'm hoping that in the future Madeleine will increase her attendance in royal duties a lot.

So when you are in a public position you can't be over the moon, talk too much, or have a bit of a beard the day after your kid was born?

Jeez, I wonder what you think of John Boehner's tan...

Don't think the birth itself will do that. They are in need of better popularity here in Sweden. I think that depends on how much they will be in Sweden with their child in the future and performing royal engagements. The swedish people wants to see a lot more of Madeleine.

I agree! It would be wonderful to see parent and child more often in Sweden to fullfil their representative duties in the future.

I agree! It would be wonderful to see parent and child more often in Sweden to fullfil their representative duties in the future.

What if Madeleine decides she wants to be a wife and mother and support her husband in his endeavors and make New York her home? What if she no longer wants to participate in any "duties" in Sweden? What if she doesn't care if the Swedish people like her or not? What would the Swedish people think about that?

Naturally, with the uninformed media that we have here in the US, we would have to go to a news source outside the US to find out about a baby princess born in New York! But, thankfully, with the internet, we can do that! The media here certainly wouldn't know about a Swedish Baby Princess. They are fairly ignorant regarding the middle part of our Country.
I thought Chris handled the press conference quite nicely. I can't imagine having to do that after being up all night and having such an emotional experience as the birth of your first child.
So glad for them.

The U.S. media are not "uninformed" at all. That is an insult and unwarranted. They are very much informed on things that matter but they just don't give a hoot about royals other than the British Royal Family. It is because they are aware that 99.9% of the American people care nothing about royals unless they're British and then only the top four or five Brit royals (Eliz, Chas, Will, Kate, Harry). They report on what people want to know about. To call them ignorant is just unnecessary. A bunch of royals in a small, unimportant country is not something the American media need to keep up with. Sweden is not exactly a world power and what happens there is of no interest to most people in the States. Why would you think otherwise?

Thanks to the internet, those of us who do want to know about other royals can do so, because we want to. We don't expect our media to keep us informed about the Swedes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom