It's A Girl: HRH Princess Leonore Lilian Maria of Sweden: February 20, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations to both the new parents. I look forward to finding out what her name is. Nice that Estelle and her new cousin's birthdays will be close in the future. :)

This is the first time since 1950 there Will be 5 Line of succession
In oktober 29th, 1950, Gustav V dies And the succession were 4.

Congratulations to Princess Madeleine & Chris!
Congratulations to HM The King, HM the Queen & Mrs. Eva O'Neill!
Welcome to the world, little Princess/Miss O'Neill!
:bunny::swedenflag::swedenstandard::usaflag::britflag2::princess2::duckie::rose2::fireworks:

Congratulation to Madeleine and Chris and a warm welcome to the little girl!!!
about the citizenship: the baby was born in New York therefore, given the American laws (ius soli), she's been granted American citizenship. Now we just have to know if she will also be a Swedish citizen

Not just because of American law, the baby's father is American so she would have been American even if she had been born in Sweden or England or anywhere else in the world. As long as one parent is American, the child is an
American citizen, always.

Could it be that Christopher tells us the name of the baby? or is it sure that the king will announce it in the government gathering?

To the US-Users here: How is the media coverage about the birth in the US? It isn't every day that a real princess is born in the US so I'm sure it will be a media interest in some way. I'm curious if it's just a side note or if it's headline news. Or maybe it's just something in between? :confused:

There is no coverage here. Why would there be anything other than a paragraph in, perhaps, the NY papers or maybe Yahoo news or something like that. Not many Americans know or care about royals other than the British. That's why I come to this site.

Also, there have been many princesses born in NY over the years. Many of the children/grandchildren of royals who have been thrown out of their countries live and work in NY. We don't hear about them either, except in the gossip pages of the NY tabloids or Vogue, etc.

Could it be that Christopher tells us the name of the baby? or is it sure that the king will announce it in the government gathering?

If they follow the royal tradition, Chris will not tell the name. At the cabinet meeting the King informs the Government of the title, name, and given name. But we will see.

The baby is born to a US citizen father and will therefore have US citizenship, being born on US soil she is is also a natural born US citizen. By virtue of having a Swedish citizen parent (her mother) she also automatically has Swedish citizenship, but her birth needs to be recorded in Sweden for her to be part of their registration system. Her Swedish citizenship is automatic until the age of 18 if she has never lived in Sweden, at that point she would need to apply to keep it and show ties to Sweden in order to keep it. For first generation Swedish citizens born abroad who have never lived in Sweden, this is generally granted regardless of the strength of the "ties to Sweden" shown.

That all said, she will likely live in Sweden at some point before age 18 so that point will become moot at that point.

The US does not issue certificates of citizenship to natural born US citizens because it is not needed - a birth certificate will prove the citizenship. Naturalized US citizens do get issues such a certificate of citizenship however.

Whether Princess Madeleine's diplomatic status has any bearing on all this remains to be seen, but I doubt it will override these basic statutes.

Part of the seeming confusion from the Royal Court in these interviews are related to translation issues, and also by the fact that the reporters are asking absolutely inane questions.

In the hospital system that I work with, the mother is the determining person as she is the one who physically gives birth. This was changed from the father because at the birth is that the mother is a physical particiapant. The father participated in the past. The father may or not be the father until a gentic test proves it. This is not to say there is anything going on, just keeps things to the facts. Keeps hospitals out of any famiy disputes also. :)

It will be very interesting to see how this is handled in the US with a diplomatic mother and citizen father.

PLEASE STOP!!! This is ridiculous. The baby's FATHER is an American citizen, therefore this CHILD is an American citizen. There is no need for diplomacy or for the hospital to say anything about anything. The child is an AMERICAN CITIZEN and will be forever, unless she renounces her citizenship in the future. I don't even understand why there is a discussion.

In the hospital system that I work with, the mother is the determining person as she is the one who physically gives birth. This was changed from the father because at the birth is that the mother is a physical particiapant. The father participated in the past. The father may or not be the father until a gentic test proves it. This is not to say there is anything going on, just keeps things to the facts. Keeps hospitals out of any famiy disputes also. :)

It will be very interesting to see how this is handled in the US with a diplomatic mother and citizen father.

Right, but that's in Canada. The laws in the US are different - if one parent is a US citizen, doesn't matter which parent, so is the child. Doesn't matter where the birth took place, the baby would have been a US citizen if she had been born in Sweden as well.

I believe Chris O'neill also has UK citizenship, so the baby may very well have 3 citizenships. I don't know how UK citizenship is determined though.

Lovely news!
Congrats to the happy parents and the SRF!:flowers:

She weighs 3, 150 kilos and 50 cm long If I'm not wrong has brown eyes and hair. Chris also added that it was Madeleine's decision to give birth there and he supported. The labour lasted one and now one day and now they are both resting!
THEY ALREADY HAVE A NAME but he's not allowed to tell now!

Chris had many hours to get ready for the press conference, there had gone over 13 hours after the girl was born. Daniel held the conference 2,5 hours after Estelle was born. Chris looked quite untidy and spoke too much for a person who "respectfully requested to remain a private citizen".

The Mistress of the Robes, countess Alice Trolle-Wachtmeister has told to Aftonbladet that although the two doctors do the Statement of Witness, there will be a ceremony just like for Estelle also later in Sweden.
- It will be now also, in a slightly different way perhaps. We'll see when the whole thing clears up, but there will be some form of witness history with the same people we had last time, she says to Aftonbladet.
So you be with later?
- I can assure you that it will be, it will be that in some form.
Barnet blir bevittnat i Sverige Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Wonderful news! She's just under 7 lbs, so smaller than average, plus her parents who were planning to be here, weren't which all makes me think she was about a week early.
Chris seems to have handled his press conderence very well. Can't wait to see a picture!

Chris had many hours to get ready for the press conference, there had gone over 13 hours after the girl was born. Daniel held the conference 2,5 hours after Estelle was born. Chris looked quite untidy and spoke too much for a person who "respectfully requested to remain a private citizen".
Whoa! Very harsh commentary on the new father. I didn't realize this was a competition between Daniel and Chris.

There is a presumption under U.S. law that a child born to a married couple is the father's child. He will no doubt be named on the birth certificate and he is a U.S. citizen. Therefore, the baby is a U.S. citizen. The mother's diplomatic status is irrelevant in this case.

i thought it a very natural press conference, he really does have a nice sense of humour.....i thought he did exceptionally well considering that this is the first time he has actually spoken to the media, and considering he's spent the whole night at the hospital he looked and sounded ok...i mean he's not gonna go to witness the (early)birth of his daughter in tails....wouldnt be comfortable

Martin ‏@MartinRoyalUK 4m
The name of Princess Madeleine and Chris O’Neill’s baby will be revealed by The King in a cabinet meeting tomorrow (via @crownprincely).

I would imagine Christopher was "on a high" after the birth of his first child. Surely his excitement could be forgiven.

I think that most people find it understandable and actually nice if a proud father is so exited that can not stop talking about his newborn child. Very few will blame them for talking too much.

The comparison with Pss Estelle doesn't really work. Estelle will one day be Queen of Sweden, this girl most likely will not. Also, the Swedish press will have little trouble to go to the Karolinska hospital in Stockholm, but may need more time to travel to New York.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom