It's A Girl: HRH Princess Leonore Lilian Maria of Sweden: February 20, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if I'm not mistaken Daniel has changed his surname to Bernadotte, so that he is now Daniel Bernadotte (but I might be wrong on this) so that might explained why Estelle is a Bernadotte (but then again, the British royal house will still be "The House of Windsor" when Charles becomes king, so that might be the case with the Swedish RF as well).

As for Madeleine's and Chris's daughter, I think they could go either way: O'Neill if they want her to have a bit more privacy and a quieter upbringing (but then again if they wanted more privacy then giving her a princess title is certainly not helping), Bernadotte to strengthen the connection to the RF. I wouldn't mind if they named her O'Neill-Bernadotte though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if I'm not mistaken Daniel has changed his surname to Bernadotte, so that he is now Daniel Bernadotte (but I might be wrong on this)

Not totally wrong. He's Olof Daniel Westling Bernadotte now. :flowers:

How would it work with the baby's surname if she was O'Neil? Would she be:

Princess X of Sweden, Duchess of Y, Miss O'Neil

Bernadotte is not referenced in their official title, so I doubt Oneil would be.

Her mother is HRH Princess Madeleine of Sweden, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland. No mention of Bernadotte. Same with Victoria and other members of the house. I'd assume the baby will simply be Princess X of Sweden, Duchess of X, with the understanding her last name is .....

Well, if I'm not mistaken Daniel has changed his surname to Bernadotte, so that he is now Daniel Bernadotte (but I might be wrong on this) so that might explained why Estelle is a Bernadotte

Bernadotte isn't a last name, the royal family belongs to the Bernadotte dynasty.
Daniel got Westling Bernadotte as his name when he got married since he now belongs to the Bernadotte dynasty.
Madeleine didn't take O'Neill as her last name when she got married. If the girl will be a HRH and princess of Sweden, I would think that she doesn't officially have a last name.

Under the name of the law, a child born in Sweden gets a last name. With the exception of Prince Daniel, all members of the royal family, however, have an asterisk recorded in the national register where the last name normally stands. Royal Family members don't have Bernadotte as their last name - they are of the Bernadotte dynasty. Problems arose because when it was time for Daniel Westling to become Prince Daniel. King's attorney, Axel Calissendorff, then took contact to the Tax Agency to discuss the question of the future prince's last name. This ended with Prince Daniel got formally adopt the name Daniel Westling Bernadotte - even though his wife, Crown Princess Victoria, doesn't have Bernadotte as her last name.
Skatteverket medger – bryter mot lagen när det gäller prinsessan Estelle Dagens Juridik
Translation

Last edited:
3150 grams is about 6.95lbs so not that small. It maybe she was even a little early so sounds about right to me.

My son was 6 days early and had the same weight. And I never heard anything about my son being to small. So for me Maddes and Chris little girl sounds quiet okay.

I absolutely ADORED how Chris managed to handle the press! Out of curiosity, I've never seen such a thing as the footprint of a newborn, is it something typically american?
By the way, dos anyone know when the name will be revealed?

It's done in a lot of german hospitals, too. It's been added with a photo to some kind of a baby passport you get as a souvenir. So it's not onlyan american tradition.

Bernadotte isn't a last name, the royal family belongs to the Bernadotte dynasty.
Daniel got Westling Bernadotte as his name when he got married since he now belongs to the Bernadotte dynasty.
Madeleine didn't take O'Neill as her last name when she got married. If the girl will be a HRH and princess of Sweden, I would think that she doesn't officially have a last name.

Under the name of the law, a child born in Sweden gets a last name. With the exception of Prince Daniel, all members of the royal family, however, have an asterisk recorded in the national register where the last name normally stands. Royal Family members don't have Bernadotte as their last name - they are of the Bernadotte dynasty. Problems arose because when it was time for Daniel Westling to become Prince Daniel. King's attorney, Axel Calissendorff, then took contact to the Tax Agency to discuss the question of the future prince's last name. This ended with Prince Daniel got formally adopt the name Daniel Westling Bernadotte - even though his wife, Crown Princess Victoria, doesn't have Bernadotte as her last name.
Skatteverket medger – bryter mot lagen när det gäller prinsessan Estelle Dagens Juridik
Translation

Very interesting. I always thought that Bernadotte was the last name. But I also knew that they all belonged to the house/dynasty of Bernadotte. I didn't know it wasn't the same. So the royals really don't have a last name. I'm really curious now if the new born baby will have a real last name. If she has we know they see themself as belonging more to the O'Neill family now. If not we know that at least Madeleine and the baby still belong more to the SRF than the O'Neill family.

Edit: It's funny that Prince Daniel is the only one who is really named Bernadotte whereas all the others are only known as Bernadottes and most people think it's their last name which it's not according to the link above.

Last edited:
...Under the name of the law, a child born in Sweden gets a last name. With the exception of Prince Daniel, all members of the royal family, however, have an asterisk recorded in the national register where the last name normally stands. http://translate.google.com/transla...r-mot-lagen-nar-det-galler-prinsessan-estelle
I don't think New York City/New York State will allow an asterisk in place of a last name - she'll have to have one here. I'm assuming it will be Bernadotte O'Neill but birth records are not open to the public so we won't know.

Thanks for explanation :flowers:. I couldn't see second word. I've never heard of this fundation before. That's a strong name and I'm not sure what I think about Chris supporting it so openly. You know, wearing whatever with the f-word, no matter what it stands for. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

It's from a Swedish youth organization called Ung Cancer.
BRACELET WHITE

The baby has both American citizenship (through place of birth) and Swedish citizenship (through Madeleine).

I poked around a little in the "Swedish Act of Succession" and it says something like "It should be considered whether an heir prince or princess can keep their right to succession if he or she acquires foreign citizenship in addition to Swedish citizenship." Depending on the role they would want her to play, I suspect they may choose to relinquish her American citizenship to avoid split allegiance.

In an interesting side note, Queen Maxima has dual citizenship since she kept her Argentinian citizenship. I don't know if her daughters also have dual citizenship, but I doubt it. I found some articles claiming that Princess Beatrix has dual citizenship, but it seems more like she was eligible for British citizenship but never claimed it.

I am delighted for the couple! Watching Christopher address the press yesterday I was almost moved to tears as he was quite clearly over the moon with joy. I thought he did brilliantly with obviously little to no sleep and was very proud of him. I truly believe he adores Madeleine and their daughter will be blessed with so much love. I pray that their lives are filled with health, happiness and peace. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️??????????

I think the Swedish Royals use the Bernadotte name as their last name!Victoria's official website is known as Victoria Bernadotte. On the World Childhood Foundation website Madeleine is know as Madeleine Bernadotte, and on Carl Philips design website he is known as Carl Philip Bernadotte!! So it must be a last name as well as a House name otherwise they wouldn't be able to use it

I think the Swedish Royals use the Bernadotte name as their last name!Victoria's official website is known as Victoria Bernadotte. On the World Childhood Foundation website Madeleine is know as Madeleine Bernadotte, and on Carl Philips design website he is known as Carl Philip Bernadotte!! So it must be a last name as well as a House name otherwise they wouldn't be able to use it

Maybe they use Bernadotte as their surname the same way Princes William and Harry use Wales as theirs. It's not their real surname, but they use it.

Skatteverket (Tax Agency) previously allowed the royals to have their last name registered as "*". This changed in 1982 because of a new naming law, which is why the name Bernadotte was added to Daniel's name. Estelle is registered as "*", even though the Tax Agency admitted that it was wrong to do so in principle.

ETA: I think Skatteverket will insist on a last name for Madeleine's child. In which case, they would choose between O'Neill and Bernadotte for a last name and then have the other one be a middle name as the naming law does not allow double/hyphenated last names. I guess that also means Westling is no longer a last name but a middle name for Daniel.

Last edited:
The baby has both American citizenship (through place of birth) and Swedish citizenship (through Madeleine).
This is very interesting. Thank you kait. :flowers:

I feel there will be a need to relinquish one of those citizenships at some stage, but I hope it can be delayed until the little girl is at least close to attaining her majority so she can decide because it would be rather unfair for her parents to deprive her of her rights under one or other of her two citizenships.

Actually since Chris was born in the UK, at the moment his little girl would also have British citizenship by descent. :)

I'm not sure she'll have to relinquish any.

I agree that this child should have the right to choose her citizenship, and her destiny. I tend to think that the triple citizenship is ultimately more advantageous to someone who will most likely have to earn her own living than a title and/or a spot in the line of Swedish succession. But she ain't my kid, and it ain't my decision.

Aftonbladet met Carl Philip on Saturday night, he was excited to tell them about the happiness of his family:
- Both Sofia and I are really excited for my little sister and Chris . It's a strange but totally awesome feeling when your sisters get children.
Speaking of children. Are you thinking for own children yourselves?
- Sure, probably beginning to get a little hungry, but now I long to meet the new family member.
When will you see her ?
- We will wait to go down until there after first storm has subsided and hope to enjoy the company of the new family in peace.
The king and queen have already been allowed to meet their grandchild. Guess you're a little jealous. What have they said about her?
- Yes, but our turn will come. Mom and Dad wanted to obviously see her as soon as possible and when we spoke they gave the little girl a lot of accolades, she's very nice.

Gosh, Madeleine is looking sensational, overwhelmed with joy!
Bye Bine

...Queen Maxima has dual citizenship since she kept her Argentinian citizenship.
Not to get too off topic, but I think the difference here is Argentina does not allow citizens to give up citizenship. US citizenship can be given up at any time.

First photo - Princess Madeleine and Chris leaves hospital with the baby!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...205.1073741825.133515803374007&type=1&theater

this photo reminds me a lot of the pic of victoria and daniel leaving the hospital with little estelle :)
needless to say, madeleine looks superb and the picture shows one happy young family, which is beautiful to see!
can't wait to hear the name of the little one. i think it will have 'lilian' somewhere in it. :)

T
In an interesting side note, Queen Maxima has dual citizenship since she kept her Argentinian citizenship. I don't know if her daughters also have dual citizenship, but I doubt it. I found some articles claiming that Princess Beatrix has dual citizenship, but it seems more like she was eligible for British citizenship but never claimed it.

Queen Máxima had to keep her argentinian citizenship as Argentinia doesn't allow to rennounce a citizenship.

IMO it could go either way!
I'm leaning towards Bernadotte O'Neill, but I won't bet on it :).

viv

Bernadotte O'Neill sounds like a Gaelic/Irish Lords name :D

the press conference:

Aftonbladet TV: Chris: "Jag är överväldigad just nu"

i think chris handled the press very well! :flowers: it's nice how he did this alone, unaccompained by court personnel. it clearly means they trust him, the fact that he's on his own. he sounds relaxed and very normal and down to earth, like any dad would.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on the surname. I didn't realize that Bernadotte was only the name of the family's Dynasty and not their last name too, that was interesting.

It's no longer done anymore, certainly not in the maternity units I have worked in. It's only done for stillbirths now.

I didn't realize it wasn't done over here anymore - thanks for the confirmation Molly. :flowers:

First photo - Princess Madeleine and Chris leaves hospital with the baby!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...205.1073741825.133515803374007&type=1&theater

Thanks for this. I wish we could get a close up of the little one's face. Madeleine is looking very well and happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom