The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:42 PM
Courtier

The biggest thing I'm confused about is why Leonore is getting the title of princess when none of the king's sisters' children have prince/princess titles. Is this something that HM decided for his grandchildren, but hasn't been done in the past?

Old 02-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by samitude View Post
The biggest thing I'm confused about is why Leonore is getting the title of princess when none of the king's sisters' children have prince/princess titles. Is this something that HM decided for his grandchildren, but hasn't been done in the past?
As I've understood it was personal king's decision.

I do say it's not bad at all, as nowadays most royals reduce titles except direct lines.

Old 02-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Gentry

I think it's lovely that the middle name is Lilian.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:53 PM
Royal Highness

Leonore is a truly elegant name for a truly elegant Princess!

Queen Regnant Ulrika Eleonora of Sweden's mother also had the name of Ulrika Eleonora.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:09 PM
Royal Highness

The full shape of her mouth is daddy'one! <3
Old 02-26-2014, 07:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
King's sisters married before the low's changes. The changes entered into force on 1 January 1980. New system applies only to King Carl XVI Gustaf's Lutheran legitimate descendants.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:10 PM
Nobility

Quote:
the King's sisters (3of them) gave up their HRH's since they had unequal marriages, however princess Desiree's children are lords and ladies since she married a Baron and thus have aristocratic status, and since Princess Birgitta married a prince her children are HSH's . Madeleine however, kept her HRH after marriage + the kings sisters were never in the line of succession like Madeleine is.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:18 PM
Royal Highness

If I had a dollar for every princess in Europe with than name Leonore/Eleanore or it's variations.... why I'd be... well, okay it's not that many, but still....
Old 02-26-2014, 07:22 PM
Royal Highness

Så gick det till när prinsessan Leonore fick sitt namn - Nyheterna - tv4.se
If someone missed it
Old 02-26-2014, 08:04 PM

Hello
It might have been answered already, but how do you pronounce Leonore in Sweden? is it li-o-no-re? or li-o-nor? le-o-nor?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
If I had a dollar for every princess in Europe with than name Leonore/Eleanore or it's variations.... why I'd be... well, okay it's not that many, but still....

You could buy a footlong Subway sandwich!!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneas314 View Post
Hello
It might have been answered already, but how do you pronounce Leonore in Sweden? is it li-o-no-re? or li-o-nor? le-o-nor?
From the King himself (via Order of Sartorial Splendor

Konselj 26 februari 2014 on Vimeo

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
At the time the King's sisters married if you married "below" your rank you lost your rank. The King began to change that system when he married a commoner. It's the reason Bertil and Lilian waited so long to marry.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, those of you in Sweden)
Old 02-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
Leonore is a truly elegant name for a truly elegant Princess!

Queen Regnant Ulrika Eleonora of Sweden's mother also had the name of Ulrika Eleonora.

Eleanora, a form of Leonore, definitely has a deep history.

Ulrika Eleanora- queen reignant
Ulrika Eleanora of Denmark- queen consort of Charles XI, above's mom
Hedvig Eleanora- consort of Charles V and regent, mother in law to above

Ulrika Eleanora of Denmark's name seems to go back to her own maternal grandmother, Anna Eleanora of Hesse-Damstadt. Anna's younger daughter, Ulrika's Aunt was Anna Maria Eleanora.

Hedvig Eleanora's seems to go to her great-grandmother Maria Eleanora of Cleves (a niece of Henry VIII's fourth wife Anne of Cleves).
Old 02-26-2014, 08:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarNoe View Post
At the time the King's sisters married if you married "below" your rank you lost your rank. The King began to change that system when he married a commoner. It's the reason Bertil and Lilian waited so long to marry.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, those of you in Sweden)
You are right. Bertil was the the fourth child and third son (Ingrid was older) of Gustav Adolph. By the time his older brother, Carl Gustav's father, died in an airplane crash, the second brother Sigvard had been removed from the line of succession by marrying a commoner in the 30's. His younger brother Carl Johan had the year before also lost his right to succession, when he too married a commoner. Both brothers were eventually made Counts by Charlotte of Luxembourg. Bertil knew there was a good chance his father would die before CG was old enough to assume the throne, and he could not serve as regent if he married Lilian as he would lose his place as his brothers had. It was unnecessary as his father died in 1973, and CG was already 27.

His nephew approved his marriage shortly after his own, allowing him to retain his title. He served as Deputy to CG, and Lilian became Princess Lilian. He was next in line until the birth of his nephew, and then the change in succession laws.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
That is one beautiful baby!
I agree. She is precious!! Love her names too. Lillian and Maria I had figured might be but not Leonore but I like it.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
Wow. Just wow. I am truly amazed by some of these comments!

Firstly, her name is beautiful. Yes, there are other princesses with the same first name, but who cares? How many of us went to school where there were multiple children with the same name in the same class? For those who critize her name, ever thought Madeleine and Chris really loved the name?
I don't get it either. All this angst over what is really a lovely choice made by loving parents. Should they have held a Poll to choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
Secondly, why is everyone in uproar with the title? As others have explained, Sweden has equal inheritance. Why should Madeleine's child be excluded from receiving an HRH title? Equality means the same for all. If a prince's child can inherit his titles, so should children of a Princess. And for those stating Sweden doesn't need a big royal family etc, look at other royal family's and you'll see how small SRF really is.
If many of these horrified and outraged posters had thought for a moment they would remember that Prince Andrew's daughters (the Queen's granddaughters) are both HRH and that Prince Edward's children would also hold that title but for a choice made by their parents to be known as the children of an Earl.

It's just that this started happening in the UK with the birth of William over 30 years ago whereas Victoria and Madeleine are only now having children that are the King's grandchildren.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Heir Apparent

I absolutely love the name! Leonore is such a beautiful and elegant name. I agree with Chris, she does look like her mother!
Old 02-26-2014, 09:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Another "Leo" like in Spain and Belgium. It's a lovely name. I am relieved they didn't choose "Alice"!

Also, I am more and more confused over this boring non-controversy regarding the child's titles. Why all the gnashing of teeth over whether she will be HH, HRH, etc??

Is it really so important?
Old 02-26-2014, 10:23 PM
Gentry

I like the name Leonore, I think it is very pretty. I did however not expect the little one to get the full-blown title, my money would have been on little miss O'Neill. My assumption is that M and C were at least consulted by the king about the title. Had they been very insistent on no titles, it would not have happened. I am surprised they decided in favor, because this decision means their little girl will grow up in the public eye.

One must admit that Leonore is now the 1st spare in her generation, so maybe it was necessary from that perspective to title her. Once Victoria and CP will have more children, this one will move down in the line.

Could someone please clarify: at the press meeting, did they say that M and C have DECIDED to move back to Sweden before Leonore is 6 years of age? Or did they just inform about the GROUND RULES for Leonore to remain in the succession line, and is it still open whether M and C will move back yes or no?

Tags
birth, chris o'neill, princess madeleine