The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 02:11 PM
Nobility

I don't think it's a big issue the fact that Leonore is a princess, a duchess and is a HRH. King Carl Gustav maybe thinks that is better to have a line of succession with more people. We don't know if Victoria will have other child ou children or how many kids Carl Philip will have so maybe is necessary to secure the future of the Royal family. When Victoria was born the law needed to change to assecure the succession. So maybe Carl Gustav doesn't want to have any risk again.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess B View Post
It seems I'm the only one happy that the baby is a HRH Princess...
I'm happy about it too. Now Sweden just needs to make sure Daniel is king consort someday.

With Estelle, many thought the name was too unusual and unexpected. Now Leonore is seen as the opposite.

Old 02-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Chris has spoken with Expressen's photographer in New York and told that there was many names they thought about. But he could just say that was a joint decision. Leonore is a name which they like very much of. Lilian is taken for granted and Maria comes from his mother.
Chris O'Neill berättar om valet av namn Nyheter Expressen

I think Leonore is as unexpected as Estelle, but much more boring.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade View Post
The names are so pretty...but to be honest, I am surprised the baby is an HRH and Princess. Her father chose to retain his name without a title... so her title will descend from her mother only... interesting...and modern. I am curious as to why the baby is an HRH...but God bless to them all.
Again: Because Princess Leonore is needed in the line of succession!
IMO Swedish poster HBG91 explains it so well and with all due respect I think that we should relate to what the King of Sweden resolves rather that what we may find appropriate!

viv
Old 02-26-2014, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Had never guessed "Leonore" but quite like it and it's easy to pronounce in several languages, so that can't be bad with her life ahead
(reminds me of the poem "The Raven", which i really like, so maybe that helps my opinion )
Old 02-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
True. In my entire life, I met only one brazilian Leonor, and her father was a portuguese.

You know, we have a Princess Eleonora on our Imperial Family, she's married to the Prince of Ligne and lives in Belgium. I think she was named after one of her maternal aunts, from the Bavarian Royal Family.
Eleonora sounds better than Leonore. I prefer names that ended with a, sound more feminine and strong. At least this baby is called Maria, what fills all these requirements :)
Old 02-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
If she removes herself by converting to catholocism or the parents choose later not raise her in Sweden, that is another issue. But there is no need for the king to make a choice to remove her from succession.
That's not what I'm saying! Princess Leonore has to be schooled in Sweden if she has to remain in the line of succession. That entails that her parents will follow suit, I suppose!
Now, if they for some reason decide not to move to Sweden, maybe because their 'spares' won't be needed when the times comes, then little Leonore will be educated in the United States or wherever the family choose to live. And in case Princess Leonore is not educated in Sweden, she cannot remain in the line of succession! It's as simple as that!

viv
Old 02-26-2014, 02:43 PM
Courtier

Very pretty and dignified names that will "wear well" her whole life long.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:52 PM
Nobility

WHY??? Not that i care about the name, but dutchy of Gotland? Gotland now gets nr 4 and there is some regions that have much less than them and should have been in turn
Old 02-26-2014, 02:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattep74 View Post
WHY??? Not that i care about the name, but dutchy of Gotland? Gotland now gets nr 4 and there is some regions that have much less than them and should have been in turn
Would you prefer Duchess of Skåne, Halland and Blekinge ?

Hejsan!
Viv
Old 02-26-2014, 03:02 PM
Serene Highness

Why she is a princess? Is sweden like jordan?
Old 02-26-2014, 03:09 PM
Aristocracy

Lovely name! I'm surprised she is 'treated' the same way as Estelle: a HRH and a Princess and a Duchess! However, this is lovely, IMO!
I just love the way the Swedish announce the name: very official, with a couple of pics. Hopefully we have some other babies in Sweden soon!
Old 02-26-2014, 03:27 PM
Nobility

Not my favorite name choice, but I haven't liked many of the names attached to the royal children (from any country) in recent years. At least she's not a Savannah or an Isla...
Old 02-26-2014, 03:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
I am just so happy for the whole family. Forget about not liking the name or the fact she has a title. Be happy for this beautiful little girl and her parents and the family. Just saying.
Amen!

And she really is a beautiful baby! Now I guess we just have to be patient for a picture of Leonore with her cousin Estelle.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:49 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
I am just so happy for the whole family. Forget about not liking the name or the fact she has a title. Be happy for this beautiful little girl and her parents and the family. Just saying.
I agree with you fully!

Old 02-26-2014, 03:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Gallery from the cabinet meeting
IBL Bildbyrå
Old 02-26-2014, 04:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattep74 View Post
What do you mean that Gotland gets number 4? As far as I know, the duchy in use now are:

Carl Gustaf: Jämtland
Victoria and Daniel: Västergötland
Estelle: Östergötland
Carl Philip: Värmland
Madeleine: Hälsingland och Gästrikland
Leonore: Gotland
Old 02-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Gallery from the cabinet meeting
IBL Bildbyrå
It may be Victorias dress/shirt but she looks pregnant again :-)
Old 02-26-2014, 04:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't understand why there's so much negativity towards the name. I like it a lot. I love that she only received three names as she wont be a major royal in the future (if only they avoided making her a Princess as well), I had definitely seen that coming. Leonore is nice - I like the subtle reference, intentional or not, to the last reigning Queen of Sweden, Ulrika Eleonora. I knew they wouldn't put Lilian in the first name spot, but I quite like it in the middle. Maria was quite expected, but I am slightly bummed that they didn't put Silvia in there as well.

As for the duchy, I certainly didn't see Gotland coming. It's nice. I think Uppland or Medelpad would have been nicer, but Gotland is decent as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betina View Post
What do you mean that Gotland gets number 4?
Perhaps mattep74 means that Gotland has been created four times now. Though technically the two first holders were Lords of Gotland rather than Dukes.

Old 02-26-2014, 04:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by betina View Post
It may be Victorias dress/shirt but she looks pregnant again :-)
I agree.

And I hope it's not a fault of the dress!!

Closed Thread

Tags
birth, chris o'neill, princess madeleine