The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by titiromi View Post

I agree.

I have a question, if one day Leonor has a child, will this child also be a prince with a HRH?
It is the King or the Queen regent who decides that. If we have a monarchy when/if Princess Leonore has children it is the King or Queen Victoria I who will have to take that decision

Old 02-26-2014, 11:58 AM
Royal Highness

The HRH is a bit much. Suddenly titles are conferred matrilineally?? Leonore is too common now, unless they can lay claim to it being a family name. Lillian is not that surprising. Marie - also very very common.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:59 AM
Nobility

What a beautiful name! I love it! The baby is beautiful.

Princess Madeleine of Sweden and Chris O'Neill name baby - hellomagazine.com
Old 02-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
I think that she doesn't have official surnames, Madeleine doesn't. But we will have to wait until she is put to the website.
doesnt american citizenship have an obligatory surname?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Serene Highness

We are so used to have only few members of the Swedish royal family and we know that won't be the case in the next generations. Only the monarch can decide what titles new members of the SRF will get and i think that as the King appears to want all of his grandchildren to be Prince/Princess and have a Duchy Victoria will probably have to cut the line when she is monarch. Something like a rule that only the grandchildren of a monarch who are not the immediate heir to the throne can be H.R.H and have a Duchy. If not we will have created a new form of nobility.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
The HRH is a bit much. Suddenly titles are conferred matrilineally?? Leonore is too common now, unless they can lay claim to it being a family name. Lillian is not that surprising. Marie - also very very common.
Leonore is the french form of Eleonora and we have had 3 Queens with that name through the swedish history. Queen Ulrica Eleonora (the elder), Queen Ulrica Eleonora (the younger. She was Queen Regent for 1 year) and also Queen Hedvig Eleonora who as a Dowager Queen built Drottningholm Palace where Madeleine was born and brought up so many belives it is taken from her.

Titles can be passed through female lines in Sweden as we have primogeniture (cognatic succession)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:26 PM
Courtier

I think Leonore is a lovely name, at least it has regal ring to it and has some royal province since several Queens and Princesses of Sweden were called Eleonora, and Gotland is beautiful place....anyone knows when the coats of arms and monogram will be released?

Also can the moderators perhaps create a current events and picture thread for the Princess Leonore?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Courtier

Wise move by the SRF. It's the best they can do for the time being, with only Estelle in 3rd generation. The new princess will enter the line of succession and the royal title and style come with the territory!

If it turns out that CPS. Victoria and Prince Carl-Philip each get several children Leonor could eventually be removed from the line of succession should her parents prefer to do so.

Viv
Old 02-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent

I like the name. I don't mind her having a name that has been used in Spain and Belgium. She will be niece of the future queen, not close to the throne. I hate when heirs have similar names. Leonore is quite a pretty and a nice way of using a traditional Swedish name, one of the four queens of Sweden who have reigned, but a variation for it. Surprised Sylvia or Victoria were not used, maybe the fifth name refers to a godmother's name being used, like Estelle has Mary, and it just hasn't been named. who knows.

With equal inheritance, doesn't matter if Chris has a title, she can inherit from her mother instead. I'd not be surprised if they did the same as Britain, where the children of Leonore will be HH. As a granddaughter of the king she got HRH, but a future generation being one more removed, would be HH.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:30 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
What is with the thing that they are trying to keep this child in the order of succession? This girl will not be Queen, Victoria will probably have more children and Carl-Phillip as well when he gets married, seriously, even Chris didn't want any title, I don't get it.

AND HRH??? seriously? I can pass a duchy or even the title of princess, but HRH? HH would be enough, that way she will have the same title as Estelle and their positions are so diferent. Soon they will be like Jordan and have thousands and thousands of Princes and Princesses. Absurd.

Leonore, another disappoinment. Lilian Maria, I quite like them. I like better Leonor than Leonore, but it's boring and so used already.
This is a tad dramatic, don't you think? The current royal family is the king and queen, their three children, prince Daniel, and the two little princesses. Seven people - that is a TINY royal family. If V, CP, and M have 3 kids each, that is still only nine little princes or princesses - and I doubt they will all have that many.

I presume that they will stop at grandchildren of the monarch, like in Britain, even though that is not written into the Swedish laws. But even if they didn't, it would take more than a couple of generations to get to thousands of Princes and Princesses.

And I would argue that currently the succession rights of Princess Leonore IS important, because she is only the second of her generation. If/when Victoria and CP go on to have (more) children, it will become less important.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 PM
Gentry

I like the name they choose...it´s simple and beautiful.

But she is the 4th Leonor/Leonore/Eléonore in the royal families. And Princess Eléonore of Belgium also have Maria has one of her names and is a goddaughter of princess Victoria of Sweden. If this baby will have Victoria as godmother (and I think she will have)...then princess Victoria will have two goddaughters with almost the same name.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebird View Post
This is a tad dramatic, don't you think? The current royal family is the king and queen, their three children, prince Daniel, and the two little princesses. Seven people - that is a TINY royal family. If V, CP, and M have 3 kids each, that is still only nine little princes or princesses - and I doubt they will all have that many.

I presume that they will stop at grandchildren of the monarch, like in Britain, even though that is not written into the Swedish laws. But even if they didn't, it would take more than a couple of generations to get to thousands of Princes and Princesses.

And I would argue that currently the succession rights of Princess Leonore IS important, because she is only the second of her generation. If/when Victoria and CP go on to have (more) children, it will become less important.

Thank you! Finally some sanity!!
Old 02-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebafan81 View Post
LadyFinn I TOTALLY agree, Leonore is a name that is so over done right now in European Royal families. I expected something different, there are so many beautiful regal names, why not choose something that hasn't been used to death. Thank Goodness M&F has some creativity on their children. We now have a (4) variations of Leonore within the next generation of royal babies. Oh well, guess its their child but darn, I was hoping so for something we haven't heard for a while
I totally agree too. I love Madie, Chris and their adorable daughter but Leonore started to be extremely boring I hope that other royals will be much creative with their future children names.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
Sweden practices primogeniture (cognatic succession), so yes, titles are conferred in this way. Otherwise Princess Estelle would not have been a princess either.

Maria (not Marie) is Chris O'Neill's mother's middle name, so that does not surprise me in the least. It is also a fairly common Swedish middle name.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv View Post
Wise move by the SRF. It's the best they can do for the time being, with only Estelle in 3rd generation. The new princess will enter the line of succession and the royal title and style come with the territory!

If it turns out that CPS. Victoria and Prince Carl-Philip each get several children Leonor could eventually be removed from the line of succession should her parents prefer to do so.

Viv
Don't see the point of removing her from the line. If she falls down the line she falls down. There are like 500 people in line to the british throne or more.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ana View Post
I like the name they choose...it´s simple and beautiful.

But she is the 4th Leonor/Leonore/Eléonore in the royal families. And Princess Eléonore of Belgium also have Maria has one of her names and is a goddaughter of princess Victoria of Sweden. If this baby will have Victoria as godmother (and I think she will have)...then princess Victoria will have two goddaughters with almost the same name.
Eleanore of Belgium is Catholic, and even her brothers have Maria as a middle name, it is tradition. Little Leonore has Maria for her grandmother. I don't think her sister having too many godchildren with the same name would have crossed Maddie's mind.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I like the names actually. Just a pity that they didn't add a reference to Queen Silvia in the name. But maybe they will leave that for another one. Leonore is a pretty name, and after the rather original 'Estelle' I am happy that they chose something more mainstream this time.

Indeed, as Estelle doesn't have a sibling yet and CP also doesn't have any offspring, it is handy to give the gril succession rights. If that should be with a simular title as her cousin Pss Estelle is open for debate. King Baudouin of the Belgians decided that it was a wise move, Queen Juliana wanted to make Margriets children princes of The Netherlands too (met with opposition so the ended op being HH princes of Orange-Nassau) and now king Carl Gustav does the same.

Personally I think it is better to limit titles, as a form of risk managment. HH princes/counts Bernadotte would have been nice enough for the offspring of CP or Madeleine IMHO. But the king obviously decided otherwise, which is his good right.

Is it known if princess Leonore will be raised catholic or lutheran?
Old 02-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I like the names actually. Just a pity that they didn't add a reference to Queen Silvia in the name. But maybe they will leave that for another one.

Is it known if princess Leonore will be raised catholic or lutheran?
The Marshal of the Realm said that Leonore will be in order of succession. She will be baptized in Sweden to the faith of her mother. The order of succession says " shall belong to and profess the "pure evangelical faith", as defined in the Unaltered Augsburg Confession and the Uppsala Meeting of 1591, i.e. by implication the Church of Sweden".

Some photos from the cabinet meeting
http://media.shootitlive.com/LDEs56C...tonbladet/2121
http://media.shootitlive.com/IgpZ2cU...tonbladet/2121
http://media.shootitlive.com/KecLH7S...tonbladet/2121
Old 02-26-2014, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I like the name,I'd never have guessed it in a million years!

I'm wondering if the first name is in honour of Infanta Leonor of Spain or the 17th Century, Ulrika Eleonora Queen of Sweden.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard View Post
The Marshall of the realm Mr Svante Lindqvist just said at the press conference that it has been decided that Princess Leonore will be raised in Sweden from the age of 6 and she will have all her education in Sweden so apparently they have plans to move to Sweden
Do you have a link for this? I can't seem to find anything on this right now, but I can't get half of the videos to play from over here for some reason :(

I did find where they said she will need to be raised in Sweden from age six to remain in the succession, but not where they said that will happen?

Closed Thread

Tags
birth, chris o'neill, princess madeleine