It's A Girl: HRH Princess Leonore Lilian Maria of Sweden: February 20, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the name they choose...it´s simple and beautiful.

But she is the 4th Leonor/Leonore/Eléonore in the royal families. And Princess Eléonore of Belgium also have Maria has one of her names and is a goddaughter of princess Victoria of Sweden. If this baby will have Victoria as godmother (and I think she will have)...then princess Victoria will have two goddaughters with almost the same name.

This is a tad dramatic, don't you think? The current royal family is the king and queen, their three children, prince Daniel, and the two little princesses. Seven people - that is a TINY royal family. If V, CP, and M have 3 kids each, that is still only nine little princes or princesses - and I doubt they will all have that many.

I presume that they will stop at grandchildren of the monarch, like in Britain, even though that is not written into the Swedish laws. But even if they didn't, it would take more than a couple of generations to get to thousands of Princes and Princesses.

And I would argue that currently the succession rights of Princess Leonore IS important, because she is only the second of her generation. If/when Victoria and CP go on to have (more) children, it will become less important.

Thank you! Finally some sanity!!

LadyFinn I TOTALLY agree, Leonore is a name that is so over done right now in European Royal families. I expected something different, there are so many beautiful regal names, why not choose something that hasn't been used to death. Thank Goodness M&F has some creativity on their children. We now have a (4) variations of Leonore within the next generation of royal babies. Oh well, guess its their child but darn, I was hoping so for something we haven't heard for a while:bang::bang:
I totally agree too. I love Madie, Chris and their adorable daughter but Leonore started to be extremely boring :bang: I hope that other royals will be much creative with their future children names.

The HRH is a bit much. Suddenly titles are conferred matrilineally?? Leonore is too common now, unless they can lay claim to it being a family name. Lillian is not that surprising. Marie - also very very common.

Sweden practices primogeniture (cognatic succession), so yes, titles are conferred in this way. Otherwise Princess Estelle would not have been a princess either.

Maria (not Marie) is Chris O'Neill's mother's middle name, so that does not surprise me in the least. It is also a fairly common Swedish middle name.

Wise move by the SRF:flowers:. It's the best they can do for the time being, with only Estelle in 3rd generation. The new princess will enter the line of succession and the royal title and style come with the territory!

If it turns out that CPS. Victoria and Prince Carl-Philip each get several children Leonor could eventually be removed from the line of succession should her parents prefer to do so.

Viv

Don't see the point of removing her from the line. If she falls down the line she falls down. There are like 500 people in line to the british throne or more.

I like the name they choose...it´s simple and beautiful.

But she is the 4th Leonor/Leonore/Eléonore in the royal families. And Princess Eléonore of Belgium also have Maria has one of her names and is a goddaughter of princess Victoria of Sweden. If this baby will have Victoria as godmother (and I think she will have)...then princess Victoria will have two goddaughters with almost the same name.

Eleanore of Belgium is Catholic, and even her brothers have Maria as a middle name, it is tradition. Little Leonore has Maria for her grandmother. I don't think her sister having too many godchildren with the same name would have crossed Maddie's mind.

I like the names actually. Just a pity that they didn't add a reference to Queen Silvia in the name. But maybe they will leave that for another one. Leonore is a pretty name, and after the rather original 'Estelle' I am happy that they chose something more mainstream this time.

Indeed, as Estelle doesn't have a sibling yet and CP also doesn't have any offspring, it is handy to give the gril succession rights. If that should be with a simular title as her cousin Pss Estelle is open for debate. King Baudouin of the Belgians decided that it was a wise move, Queen Juliana wanted to make Margriets children princes of The Netherlands too (met with opposition so the ended op being HH princes of Orange-Nassau) and now king Carl Gustav does the same.

Personally I think it is better to limit titles, as a form of risk managment. HH princes/counts Bernadotte would have been nice enough for the offspring of CP or Madeleine IMHO. But the king obviously decided otherwise, which is his good right.

Is it known if princess Leonore will be raised catholic or lutheran?

Last edited:
I like the names actually. Just a pity that they didn't add a reference to Queen Silvia in the name. But maybe they will leave that for another one.

Is it known if princess Leonore will be raised catholic or lutheran?

The Marshal of the Realm said that Leonore will be in order of succession. She will be baptized in Sweden to the faith of her mother. The order of succession says " shall belong to and profess the "pure evangelical faith", as defined in the Unaltered Augsburg Confession and the Uppsala Meeting of 1591, i.e. by implication the Church of Sweden".

Some photos from the cabinet meeting
http://media.shootitlive.com/LDEs56Cbw2G9BkeLnqwJ8axJkQ5/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/2121
http://media.shootitlive.com/IgpZ2cUnxfOICf1PiQ0XI691Uy2/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/2121
http://media.shootitlive.com/KecLH7SI6A2J9S52AcliL5mKnVI/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/2121

Last edited:
I like the name,I'd never have guessed it in a million years!

I'm wondering if the first name is in honour of Infanta Leonor of Spain or the 17th Century, Ulrika Eleonora Queen of Sweden.

The Marshall of the realm Mr Svante Lindqvist just said at the press conference that it has been decided that Princess Leonore will be raised in Sweden from the age of 6 and she will have all her education in Sweden so apparently they have plans to move to Sweden

Do you have a link for this? I can't seem to find anything on this right now, but I can't get half of the videos to play from over here for some reason :(

I did find where they said she will need to be raised in Sweden from age six to remain in the succession, but not where they said that will happen?

I like the name,I'd never have guessed it in a million years!

I'm wondering if the first name is in honour of Infanta Leonor of Spain or the 17th Century, Ulrika Eleonora Queen of Sweden.

Ulrika Eleanora or any of the other Eleanors in the Swedish royal tree would be more likely then Felipe's daughter

It seems I'm the only one happy that the baby is a HRH Princess...

I expected Lilian to be in somewhere, the other names have taken me by surprise.

Not alone Princess. I think it shows they are fully embracing equal primogeniture. It is one thing to allow the heir to be a daughter if first born, but that should apply to all titles.

Don't see the point of removing her from the line. If she falls down the line she falls down. There are like 500 people in line to the british throne or more.
You cannot compare the Swedish and the British lines of succession; the Swedes have nothing like Electress Sophia's descendants and so forth!

Victoria has a few more years to bear children. The more children she gets the less need there is for the spares provided by Madeleine.

Princess Leonor could leave the line of succession if her parents eventually decide to stay in the US because a.o. their 'spare' is not deemed necessary anymore OR if the Princess decides to do so when she's old enough to make the decision.
It's easier to place her in the line of succcession from the birth rather than in - say - 6-7 years time, if it turns out that Victoria and Daniel have no other children than Estelle.

And to Marengo:
Being in the line of succession the Princess will be raised in the Lutheran faith!

viv

Last edited:
Leonore Lilian Maria - a nice name IMO for the little princess and I like it much better than the name Estelle. Not surprised she got the HRH and along with it a duchy. And isn't she a beautiful baby ?!

I expected Lilian to be in somewhere, the other names have taken me by surprise.
not the only one.... im happy that Sweden practices 100% equality between men and women...and i also expected it since even the children of the 5th child of previous monarchs were made HRH's and Dukes(since only men could be dukes at the time)

The HRH is a bit much. Suddenly titles are conferred matrilineally?? Leonore is too common now, unless they can lay claim to it being a family name. Lillian is not that surprising. Marie - also very very common.

Well, if any country insists on gender equality, why should't titles descend through the mother? Sweden might consider what Britain does - prince/princess only through the third generation.

:previous:

I agree that gender equality is more important than whatever title they get. If CP's children will be HRH Princes X, Dukes of Y, so should Madeleine's.

I am sure that Eva O'Neill is toasting to it as well :champagne:

I believe Maria is her 2nd name btw, which may explain the use of it.

---
thx Viv and LF for clarifying that the princess will be raised as a Lutheran. I forgot that the Scandinavian monarchs are heads of their national churches too, so that requirement makes sense.

Last edited:
I am sure that Eva O'Neill is toasting to that one too :ROFLMAO:

I believe Maria is her 2nd name btw, which may explain the use of it.

Maria is a family name of the family of Eva O'Neill. Eva is Eva Maria, Chris' sister is Tatjana Maria Margareta Nina, and her daughters are Anoushka Maria Violet and Celina Maria Isabel. Chris' sister Natascha has a daughter Milana Tatjana Maria.

The names are so pretty...but to be honest, I am surprised the baby is an HRH and Princess. Her father chose to retain his name without a title... so her title will descend from her mother only... interesting...and modern. I am curious as to why the baby is an HRH...but God bless to them all.

Well I think the name that has been chosen is a lovely name and I love the first name especially! Good choices.

You cannot compare the Swedish and the British lines of succession; the Swedes have nothing like Electress Sophia's descendants and so forth!

Victoria has a few more years to bear children. The more children she gets the less need there is for the spares provided by Madeleine.

Princess Leonor could leave the line of succession if her parents eventually decide to stay in the US because a.o. their 'spare' is not deemed necessary anymore OR if the Princess decides to do so when she's old enough to make the decision.
It's easier to place her in the line of succcession from the birth rather than in - say - 6-7 years time, if it turns out that Victoria and Daniel have no other children than Estelle.

And to Marengo:
Being in the line of succession the Princess will be raised in the Lutheran faith!

viv
My point is there is no need to limit how many heirs there are to the throne. Its not like the tax payers will be paying for them all. If Leonore i fifth in line or 26th in line, there is really no need to remove her. If she removes herself by converting to catholocism or the parents choose later not raise her in Sweden, that is another issue. But there is no need for the king to make a choice to remove her from succession.

Maria is a family name of the family of Eva O'Neill. Eva is Eva Maria, Chris' sister is Tatjana Maria Margareta Nina, and her daughters are Anoushka Maria Violet and Celina Maria Isabel. Chris' sister Natascha has a daughter Milana Tatjana Maria.

Eva's family is catholic, and in traditional catholic families, it is quite common for all daughters to have Maria. Even some sons (look at the Belgium and Luxembourg royal families, the sons do). In some countries, all daughters have Maria as a first name, and go by their middle. My friend is one of four girls, two sisters are Mary and 2 Maria. Mary Evangeline, Mary Elizabeth, Maria Theresa and cant remember the forth. They just go by Evangeline, Elizabeth, Theresa and the forth name.

Well I'm not unhappy with the title princess. But she could still be in the sucession line with HH, or even just Duchess of Gotland instead of Princess.

I'm not discriminating here, but Estelle is the future Queen, Leonore should have a lower title than Estelle but she could still remain in the line to the throne. Please don't take this to heart, I'm not trying to offend anyone here, it's just my opinion, because I still think HRH is to much for a child who will be niece to the future Queen, cousin to another Future Queen and will be pushed back over and over with future children of CP Victoria and Carl-Phillip.

Last edited:
Sweden does not have tradition, and I dont know if they recognize the HH status. They were likely following suit of other monarchies, that a grandchild of the monarch has the Prince/Princess title

Hello Everybody, Im new here :flowers: (been lurking around for a while and finally decided to register :lol: )

About the titles:

Why are so many surprised that she got a HRH?
HH does not exist in the Swedish Royal Family!!!! The title does only exist in Denmark and Norway (what I know of) But Sweden is Sweden and in history even minor royals have been HRH in Sweden, never ever ever HH.

Leonore is a grandchild of a King so it is not more strange that she is a HRH and Princess of Sweden than it is for example Beatrice and Eugenie to be HRHs and Princesses of the UK (granddaughters of a Queen)

And since Sweden have cognatic succession AKA equal inheritance (both male and female can inherit the throne) Princess Madeleine can pass on titles to her children just for example Prince Andrew could.

Sure, they could have choosen to not give her any titles at all...but at the moment it is only Princess Estelle and Princess Leonore of the new generation in Sweden and god knows what happens in the future? maybe it will only be the two of them? (though I really do not hope so).

So to summarize: Leonore could not have been HH cuz that title does not exist in Sweden..and that her father has no title does not matter at all since Madeleine can pass on titles!

Last edited:
I am just so happy for the whole family. Forget about not liking the name or the fact she has a title. Be happy for this beautiful little girl and her parents and the family. Just saying.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom