It's A Girl: HRH Princess Leonore Lilian Maria of Sweden: February 20, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Annika Sönnerberg has confirmed to Expressen, that the cabinet meeting will be held next week.
– "It is true, the gathering is in Stockholm next week. It will be held on a working day. That is all the information we have now".

To relinquish the US citizenship for the new baby would complicate the life for the whole family. You can not live on US soil without either being a citizen or have a permit, either temporary as for ex. a student or have a green card. To renounce your citizenship would make it almost impossible to get a green card.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm gonna put in a last minute name-bet :lol:
Lilian Ewa Silvia

..but i'm pretty sure i'm going to like any name they'll choose; as long as it's nothing from the 'Bob Geldof' or 'Jaime Oliver' ranges of child-names :lol:

To relinquish the US citizenship for the new baby would complicate the life for the whole family. You can not live on US soil without either being a citizen or have a permit, either temporary as for ex. a student or have a green card. To renounce your citizenship would make it almost impossible to get a green card.

The baby would probably receive a diplomatic passport, as I'm assuming Madeleine has. So, not a big complication, I would think.

Bernadotte O'Neill sounds like a Gaelic/Irish Lords name :D
There you go;):flowers:! Sounds nice, doesn't it?
Now let's see what happens! Will the Little girl be a plain ms. Bernadotte O'Niell or will she get an unprecedented title?

viv

She will get a title. I thought that was already sure. :ermm:

IMO it could go either way!
I'm leaning towards Bernadotte O'Neill, but I won't bet on it :).

viv

Agreed with you! I guess we will have to wait and see what is decided sooner or later.

this is great news congratulation the couple.
i am sure Princess Estelle will love to have a cousin.:)

I have seen the interview and i really like when chris said that she has a name and that hw would say t but he wasn t allow to...I think he was anxious to say the name....

No name yet. I think it is because it has do with something with the king, protocol? Maybe someone else knows more on this subject?

It was discussed a few times, that it is traditional for the king to announce the name to cabinet and with a special ceremony. Cant even attempt to spell the name, so wont try. The same was done with Estelle. Unfortunately needs to be done in Sweden, and since the king is in NY seeing the baby, it will be a few days it seems.

At least it won't be three months like in Denmark!

Upside to the Danish wait....it makes any other royal child's name announcement quite reasonable.

The new little family look lovely.
The King and Queen look so proud!

She will get a title. I thought that was already sure. :ermm:

There's plenty of speculation, but so far nothing official from the royal Court:)!
The baby's title - if any - is going to speak volumes about Princess Madeleine's future role in Sweden!
Viv

Last edited:
I don't think that she should have a title, Princess Madeline role in sweden is little, she wants to live in new york, have a normal live... she didn't make any photo call outside the hospital to show her daugther, she was treated like a celebrity not royal...However I think that even that she wants to keep her daughter apart from the royal life she is wlays the queen and the king grandaugther so... and all this fuss around her name... she should clear out if she is living amoung royal rules or not...

Chris has given an interview to Expressen's slimy royal reporter Johan T Lindwall after he had a three-hour lunch with the king and queen. Chris said that he had planned to talk about the birth only at the hospital, but he is making an exception now.
Chris till Expressen ”Detta är otroligt” Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Thanks linking the article. I think Chris is still floating on cloud nine and probably would end talking to anyone on the street about the his new princess. I know my husband who never liked to talk much was like that when our son was born. Suprised the phone wasn't whipped out to show off pictures. He looked very dapper too for lunch with the in-laws. Maybe a little of Madeleine's influence?

There's plenty of speculation, but so far nothing official from the royal Court:)!

The King's solicitor pretty much confirming that the little one will be titled is as close to official as it gets. But then again, the communication in the Swedish royal court is a mess sometimes.

The baby's title - if any - is going to speak volumes about Princess Madeleine's future role in Sweden!
Viv

It sure is.

No title means that Madeleine is Mrs. O'Neil, who happens to be a Swedish Princess. I.e. she's withdrawing even more from public duties.

If the new little one is made a princess, then we can expect, and perhaps ought to expect Madeleine to devote more time on public duties for Sweden.

If the new one is only made countess or duchess of something, then I believe Madeleine will continue her current life and only attend events in Sweden occasionally.

I must say I'm somewhat baffled by this limbo. We still don't know the name or the status of the newborn. In the old days they would simply have send a courier to inform the government if it wasn't practical with a state council until days after the birth - and then informed the public.
But it seems things are less efficient nowadays.

...I must say I'm somewhat baffled by this limbo. We still don't know the name or the status of the newborn. In the old days they would simply have send a courier to inform the government if it wasn't practical with a state council until days after the birth - and then informed the public...
There might be some internal goings back and forth on just what you are talking about - the meaning of a title, what it means for Madeleine's future role, and perhaps even the issues of foreign citizenship vs. title/line of succession that we have been discussing. Perhaps someone raised concerns at the last minute, or was only consulted at last minute on some of these things.

There might be some internal goings back and forth on just what you are talking about - the meaning of a title, what it means for Madeleine's future role, and perhaps even the issues of foreign citizenship vs. title/line of succession that we have been discussing. Perhaps someone raised concerns at the last minute, or was only consulted at last minute on some of these things.

Yes, but I would imagine such details would have been sorted out long ago.
There are after all nine months delivery on babies.

I can hardly imagine the US government veto a title bestowed to the child of a foreign citizen, who also happens to be royal, even if that child is also a US citizen. It's merely a question of that title not being acknowleged publicly on US soil.
In Sweden it's a matter of what the Monarch decides and I can hardly imagine the Swedish government veto a title and certainly not in the last minute.

It is the tradition at the swedish royal family that the name and title are told at the cabinet meeting. When Estelle was born the meeting was held a day after. Unfortunately the baby was born in New York and the king and queen left there. The court will not arrange the cabinet meeting without the king. So we all just have to wait until the king is back in Sweden and the cabinet meeting will be held, it will happen this week like Annika Sönnerberg said.

"On the occasion of a royal birth, a cabinet meeting is held. The King convenes the cabinet meeting in accordance with chapter 5, § 3 of the Instrument of Government, which states that the Government shall hold a cabinet meeting chaired by the Head of State. Cabinet meetings held at The King's initiative include those held in the event of a royal birth. At the cabinet meeting, The King informs the Government of the title, name, and given name. The cabinet meeting is held in connection to the birth."
http://www.kungahuset.se/royalcourt...nofaroyalbirth.5.3c36c12b143e35e79cc14fa.html

Last edited:
Yes, but I would imagine such details would have been sorted out long ago.
There are after all nine months delivery on babies.

Plus the fact that Mr. O'Neill has been given time to consider his future position in a Swedish context! Though the couple may not be needed in a supporting role right now things could change in the not too distant future.
We shouldn't forget that Madeleine's and Chris' courtship went pretty fast by present-day royal standards and it took time for him as well as for the Swedes to take in his new situation!
Maybe time has come to take the next step, unless Madeleine prefers a solution similar to that of Princess Margaretha, Mrs. Ambler?

viv

The king left New York on Sunday, so maybe konselj/cabinet on Wednesday.

At first I thought Tuesday, but probably not since no press announcement yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom