It's A Boy: HRH Prince Nicolas Paul Gustaf of Sweden: June 15, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Eva O'Neill will make an appearance at the Te Deum. Or one of Chris's sisters. They seem to be very close.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I agree. :flowers: Nice names, nice dukedom.

Heu... why is it "a nice dukedom"? It is in fact a chunk of land, sparsely populated, bordering frosty Lappland (Santa Claus on his sleigh ting-a-ling) without any royal history and it has never been a fiefdom.

To me it looks the King has not done his very best to give a prestigious dukedom to his grandson... He could have chosen the more prestigious and more historic dukedoms of Södermanland, Småland, Skåne, Halland, etc. Instead he just created a new one from scratch.

Seeing the choices made, I have the idea the King will create an eventual son of Prince Carl Philip and his spouse Sofia Duke of Halland, becoming the 10th Duke in that prestigious fiefdom, also taking in mind that Carl Philip has been the principal heir Prince Bertil, the last Duke of Halland.

Last edited:
Heu... why is it "a nice dukedom"? It is in fact a chunk of land, sparsely populated, bordering frosty Lappland (Santa Claus on his sleigh ting-a-ling) without any royal history and it has never been a fiefdom.

To me it looks the King has not done his very best to give a prestigious dukedom to his grandson... He could have chosen the more prestigious and more historic dukedoms of Södermanland, Småland, Skåne, Halland, etc. Instead he just created a new one from scratch.

Seeing the choices made, I have the idea the King will create an eventual son of Prince Carl Philip and his spouse Sofia Duke of Halland, becoming the 10th Duke in that prestigious fiefdom, also taking in mind that Carl Philip has been the principal heir Prince Bertil, the last Duke of Halland.
It may be mostly rural but it has some of the most stunning nature in the country
http://www.naturvardsverket.se/upload/var-natur/skyddad-natur/varldsarv/ibl-007nf110.jpg

Last edited:
It also borders his mother's duchies in the south and his grandfather's duchy in the northwest. In the southwest is Dalarna, once the duchy of prince Nikolaus August, later on it was the duchy of Carl Johan Bernadotte, and in the north is Västerbotten, the duchy of his late great grandfather. The duchy of Ångermanland is surrounded by his family's duchies.

As for Halland, with the exception of prince Bertil, all the former holders of that duchy lived in the 14th century, those were Ingeborg Håkansdotter, her two husbands and her two sons, and for three years Bengt Algotson, who was exiled and stripped of his duchies in 1356. It's seven dukes/duchess of Halland, not ten.

Last edited:

Well, color me American and superficial. :flowers: I like the sound of the Duke of Ångermanland. I was agreeing with someone else on that when I said what I did. :p

Now with that picture, I must one day visit such a pretty place. ;)

P.S. I know it has to be a cultural difference, but you are so 'touchy' about status stuff. :sad: Does it really matter? I don't think so. Work with Amnesty International, priorities get straight pretty fast. All this is just for fun. It has no real significance in the world as we know it.

PERFECT name!! I couldn't have chosen better myself!

Between "Charlotte Elizabeth Diana" in Britain, and now "Nicolas Paul Gustav" I am a very happy camper when it comes to Royal baby names these days!:p

With the weekend Madeleine had tottering around in heels attending her brother's wedding festivities and standing on her feet for hours I shouldn't he surprised that she went into labor!:ermm:

But a baby is not premature, isn't he?

In the Expressen live photo stream it shows a fire engine arriving. Does anyone know why?

In the Expressen live photo stream it shows a fire engine arriving. Does anyone know why?

The alarm came 11.45.
- There is an automatic alarm that has activated. This means that there may be a faulty appliance, it can be an overload, says Nävelberg at the Stockholm police.
http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/brandlarm-pa-slotten/

EDIT: It is burnt food at the Palace kitchen which caused the alarm, tells the police.

It is interesting that the dress code was different and at Leonore's and Estelle's Te Deum. Then the royal men had morning suits.

Last edited:

Ångermanland is one of Swedens most nice provinces to the nature. It has a stunning nature at so many places. It has as far as we know not had a royal duke in modern times but it is a very historic province of Sweden with lots of petroglyphs that proves that it it was well populated during the iron age.

It is the 2:nd child of Princess Madeleine, his 3:rd child so I'm not surprised that they use a dukedom that has probably never been used before.

Skåne is too big to be granted to a child a bit down the line in the line of succession. Halland was used so recent and they usually don't take dukedoms that has been in use very recent so i don't think it will be used again in this reign.

If Carl Philip and Sofia have a son he is very likely to become Duke of Södermanland as a Prince by blood who is Duke of Södermanland is according to the will of it's former owner heir to Stenhammar Castle that Carl Philip will inherit from the King. That would mean Stenhammar Castle will stay in the family for a long time.

The alarm came 11.45.
- There is an automatic alarm that has activated. This means that there may be a faulty appliance, it can be an overload, says Nävelberg at the Stockholm police.
Brandlarm på slottet | Nyheter | Expressen

EDIT: It is burnt food at the Palace kitchen which caused the alarm, tells the police.

It is interesting that the dress code was different and at Leonore's and Estelle's Te Deum. Then the royal men had morning suits.

Thank you very much :flowers:

Ångermanland is one of Swedens most nice provinces to the nature. It has a stunning nature at so many places. It has as far as we know not had a royal duke in modern times but it is a very historic province of Sweden with lots of petroglyphs that proves that it it was well populated during the iron age.

It is the 2:nd child of Princess Madeleine, his 3:rd child so I'm not surprised that they use a dukedom that has probably never been used before.

Skåne is too big to be granted to a child a bit down the line in the line of succession. Halland was used so recent and they usually don't take dukedoms that has been in use very recent so i don't think it will be used again in this reign.

If Carl Philip and Sofia have a son he is very likely to become Duke of Södermanland as a Prince by blood who is Duke of Södermanland is according to the will of it's former owner heir to Stenhammar Castle that Carl Philip will inherit from the King. That would mean Stenhammar Castle will stay in the family for a long time.

The king doesn't own Stenhammar, he leases it from the state.

The king doesn't own Stenhammar, he leases it from the state.

I know that.

Stenhammar was given to the state according to the will of Robert Von Kræmer and it was stipulated that the main building should be leased to a Prince by blood from the Bernadotte Family and if there is a Duke of Södermanland he will have precedence over all other Princes.

Last edited:
But a baby is not premature, isn't he?
If you by premature mean that he was born week 37 or earlier, no I don't think so, but as Madeleine's obstetrician said that the baby was a few weeks early, he probably was born week 38 instead of week 40, full term but before planned date of birth.

[...] All this is just for fun. It has no real significance in the world as we know it. [...]

In my humble opinion this is not "just fun" but reality. The "fun" delivers the head of state of the United Kingdom, of Spain, of the Netherlands, etc. All unelected and all produced by hereditary succession. Their heads are on their currencies. Their names are above and under Acts and Decrees. Justice is spoken in their authority. So it is not only "fun", it is very serious.

Imagine that automatically the son of George Bush becomes the next President. And then their son. Etc. Then suddenly the choice of a partner for King George II (Bush) becomes more than "fun". It becomes a matter of great importance.

Last edited:
Pacifiers give the child comfort, my son gave his up just didn't want it one day. Others take longer but will give them up when ready .

In my humble opinion this is not "just fun" but reality. The "fun" delivers the head of state of the United Kingdom, of Spain, of the Netherlands, etc. All unelected and all produced by hereditary succession. Their heads are on their currencies. Their names are above and under Acts and Decrees. Justice is spoken in their authority. So it is not only "fun", it is very serious.

Imagine that automatically the son of George Bush becomes the next President. And then their son. Etc. Then suddenly the choice of a partner for King George II (Bush) becomes more than "fun". It becomes a matter of great importance.
It delivers a head of state, until a referendum declares they are no longer a head of state. The Swedish parliament can pass an act abolishing dukedoms etc. Please do not forget that European royalty do not hold any power. The real seriousness lies in general elections to elect a government, not naming a dukedom to an infant prince.

And before you start, I live in Australia, where my head of state is QEII. She has no executive power. She merely appoints or dismisses our Governer-General, and this is from the advice of our PM. That is her scope.

Last edited:
It delivers a head of state, until a referendum declares they are no longer a head of state. The Swedish parliament can pass an act abolishing dukedoms etc. Please do not forget that European royalty do not hold any power. The real seriousness lies in general elections to elect a government, not naming a dukedom to an infant prince.

And before you start, I live in Australia, where my head of state is QEII. She has no executive power. She merely appoints or dismisses our Governer-General, and this is from the advice of our PM. That is her scope.
European royalty might no hold any power, but they represent their country, and I think it's very serious, not fun. Just to think that I would have to represent my country freaks me out, it's so much responsability.

Just a side note, but my country is a republic, but I saw the other day a university diplom from Spain who had in big letters at the top the name of Juan Carlos I The King of Spain who on behalf of his name had create that diplom. I was speechless but so excited, even my Professor said that a monarchy have a diferent weight on things...It was the "power" that made me speechless;)

Did anyone from Chris' family attend the Te Deum?

Did anyone from Chris' family attend the Te Deum?

No, at least the press hasn't told about that. I thought that some of them could attend because they would have seen the baby at the same trip. But it seems that no one of them attended.

Had hoped that C would bring Leonore and V & D would bring Estelle to the church.

I am quite happy with the dukedom of Ångermanland for the new little prince. Imo it is also a diplomatic choice. By giving a royal duke to a rural province that hasn't had a duke before, they greatly honour the people there. It is showing that also a rural province and it's inhabitants are a valued part of the country.

Dude! Ångermanland is my home province, and I resent your bad-mouthing of it. Sparsely populated as it might be, I'm still going to defend it. And I'm proud that it finally has become a dukedom!

Well, nowadays he could also give Halland to a daughter of Carl Philip's. But other than that, that sounds very likely, considering how close CP was to Prince Bertil.

Dude! Ångermanland is my home province, and I resent your bad-mouthing of it. Sparsely populated as it might be, I'm still going to defend it. And I'm proud that it finally has become a dukedom!
The duchy of king Carl Gustaf, Jämtland, is even less populated, 3,3 vs 6,8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom