The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-18-2015, 10:31 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Heu... why is it "a nice dukedom"? It is in fact a chunk of land, sparsely populated, bordering frosty Lappland (Santa Claus on his sleigh ting-a-ling) without any royal history and it has never been a fiefdom.

To me it looks the King has not done his very best to give a prestigious dukedom to his grandson... He could have chosen the more prestigious and more historic dukedoms of Södermanland, Småland, Skåne, Halland, etc. Instead he just created a new one from scratch.
Dude! Ångermanland is my home province, and I resent your bad-mouthing of it. Sparsely populated as it might be, I'm still going to defend it. And I'm proud that it finally has become a dukedom!

Quote:
Seeing the choices made, I have the idea the King will create an eventual son of Prince Carl Philip and his spouse Sofia Duke of Halland, becoming the 10th Duke in that prestigious fiefdom, also taking in mind that Carl Philip has been the principal heir Prince Bertil, the last Duke of Halland.
Well, nowadays he could also give Halland to a daughter of Carl Philip's. But other than that, that sounds very likely, considering how close CP was to Prince Bertil.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furienna View Post
Dude! Ångermanland is my home province, and I resent your bad-mouthing of it. Sparsely populated as it might be, I'm still going to defend it. And I'm proud that it finally has become a dukedom!
The duchy of king Carl Gustaf, Jämtland, is even less populated, 3,3 vs 6,8.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

I see nothing wrong with the King creating a new dukedom - the province in question has indeed never been a dukedom before and so it is history in the making and that is lovely to see! As with most of Sweden, the province looks very beautiful and I would happy being the duke there!
Old 06-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
The duchy of king Carl Gustaf, Jämtland, is even less populated, 3,3 vs 6,8.
Yes, the further away from the coast you get, the fewer people you will find. Ångermanland has four towns (Örnsköldsvik, Sollefteå, Kramfors and Härnösand), but poor Jämtland has only one (Östersund).
Old 06-18-2015, 04:21 PM
Serene Highness

According to Expressen Chris has told them in a sms that the name Nicolas was chosen because both he and Madeleine really like it and also because he himself was called Nicolas for one day before his father changed his mind and named him Chris instead.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
European royalty might no hold any power, but they represent their country, and I think it's very serious, not fun. Just to think that I would have to represent my country freaks me out, it's so much responsability.

Just a side note, but my country is a republic, but I saw the other day a university diplom from Spain who had in big letters at the top the name of Juan Carlos I The King of Spain who on behalf of his name had create that diplom. I was speechless but so excited, even my Professor said that a monarchy have a diferent weight on things...It was the "power" that made me speechless
The power of mystique is amazing...I agree with you there. But what Lady Niume stated was true.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
According to Expressen Chris has told them in a sms that the name Nicolas was chosen because both he and Madeleine really like it and also because he himself was called Nicolas for one day before his father changed his mind and named him Chris instead.

Now that's a fun story!
Old 06-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Now that's a fun story!
There are indeed lots of fun stories about Nicholas or 'Nicolas', as the new prince's name is spelled. My own son is also a Nicholas and his name was chosen to honour the patron saint of children, of sailors, of desperate causes and whose birthday celebrated in northern Europe on the eve of December 5!
Old 06-18-2015, 11:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
It may be mostly rural but it has some of the most stunning nature in the country
http://www.naturvardsverket.se/uploa...l-007nf110.jpg
Oh, that took my breath away...beautiful!!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Old 06-18-2015, 11:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post

Only one way to react to that...

Awwwww!!! :)

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-19-2015, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I love the name Nicolas, though I find Paul a bit dated but I can imagine that they chose it for sentimental reasons. Gustaf was inevitable but I'm still pleased that they chose it. Overall Nicolas Paul Gustaf is a nice and quite regal sounding combination. I'm a bit disappointed that Bertil wasn't one of his middle names though, it would've been really lovely since Lilian is Leonore's middle name.

Prince Nicolas is a little cutie as well, and I love how he has quite a lot of hair! The first thing I noticed when I saw his first photos was that he looks (especially his lips) like Princess Leonore in her first photo.
I think Bunte probably leaked the photos from the Royal Court as the Royal Court posted them a few hours later, otherwise it seems strange that a German (not even Swedish) magazine would get them and publish them first before the Royal Court themselves.

I'm happy that King Carl Gustaf created a new duchy for Prince Nicolas, as I had hoped he would do so. I've never heard of Ångermanland before, though the scenery looks stunning. You are lucky to come from such a beautiful province, Furienna! I have a question for those of you who can speak Swedish: how is Ångermanland pronounced?

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-19-2015, 04:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Paul is Chris's middle name. Plain and nice.

Paul is Chris' middle name. They could have used Nicolas Christopher, but they chose Paul. Perhaps, Chris likes that name better.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Paul is Chris' middle name. They could have used Nicolas Christopher, but they chose Paul. Perhaps, Chris likes that name better.
Yes, I know, which is why I said in my post that I can imagine Paul was chosen for sentimental reasons. Paul is also the name of Chris's father.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 06-19-2015, 04:52 PM
Majesty

I read somewhere that his father of Christopher called him Nicolas for about a day before change to the name to Christopher.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I'm happy that King Carl Gustaf created a new duchy for Prince Nicolas, as I had hoped he would do so. I've never heard of Ångermanland before, though the scenery looks stunning. You are lucky to come from such a beautiful province, Furienna! I have a question for those of you who can speak Swedish: how is Ångermanland pronounced?
Thank you!

The letter "å" is pronounced just like the letter "o" is in English. The rest of the name should be easy.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Yes, I know, which is why I said in my post that I can imagine Paul was chosen for sentimental reasons. Paul is also the name of Chris's father.

Ah HA!! Did I or did I not call that earlier?

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-20-2015, 12:42 AM

I don't comment much so I hope no one minds me butting my way into this conversation!!
I think it's nice they used Chris's middle name for the baby!
Royal baby names are always so meaningful, it's heart warming!
Old 06-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Royal Blogger

I think Prince Nicolas is wearing the same outfit as Princess Leonore in the picture of the hands released of Princess Leonore on Facebook HERE.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:07 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Robijn View Post
I think Prince Nicolas is wearing the same outfit as Princess Leonore in the picture of the hands released of Princess Leonore on Facebook HERE.
I think you might be right: same color, same position of the buttons... I simply love the fact this family recycle all clothes, especially those of children...

Prinsessparets son - Sveriges Kungahus
Old 06-23-2015, 04:34 AM
Serene Highness

Paul connects Nicolas to his father and paternal grandfather.
Gustaf connects Nicolas to his maternal grandfather (Carl XVI Gustaf), great grandfather (prince Gustaf Adolf), great great grandfather (Gustaf VI Adolf) and great great great grandfather (Gustav V).

Tags
birth, chris o'neill, princess madeleine