Princess Madeleine and Family Moving to London: May 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyFinn

Imperial Majesty
City
Southwest
Country
Finland
In the beginning of February Madeleine, Chris and Leonore registrated themselves to Sweden.
On 22nd April Chris informed the Tax Agency that he has emigrated to Great Britain, Expressen quotes Aftonbladet.
The National registration confirms to Expressen that a document from Chris O'Neill came in on 22 April.
The court would not currently comment on O'Neill's decision.
- I can not answer that right now, says Margareta Thorgren.
Madeleines make har utvandrat från Sverige _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

The original article in Aftonbladet
AFTONBLADET AVSLÖJAR_ Chris O'Neill har utvandrat _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Oh dear, by now Chris should have an understanding on how the Swedish press finds out about anything....
Fine with me that he moves to London, I expected this to happen and most likely Madde will follow suit soon. However they should realize how fast things leak out and it would have been much better if they had done a small interview and announce their departure from Sweden themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

In the beginning of February Madeleine, Chris and Leonore registrated themselves to Sweden.
On 22nd April Chris informed the Tax Agency that he has emigrated to Great Britain, Expressen quotes Aftonbladet.
The National registration confirms to Expressen that a document from Chris O'Neill came in on 22 April.
The court would not currently comment on O'Neill's decision.
- I can not answer that right now, says Margareta Thorgren.
Translation

The original article in Aftonbladet
AFTONBLADET AVSLÖJAR_ Chris O'Neill har utvandrat _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

You are kidding? The PR office is not even prepared to answer questions on this issue?!?

Ok the Chris is not officially member of the royal family but the court must inform the press things whu concerning him because at asame point they will learn.

I had lunch yesterday with a university professor from Sweden who was visiting my workplace together with a Swedish delegation. He was not a royalist himself and might even be a republican, but I took the opportunity to ask him his opinion about the SRF. I must confess I (in a somewhat machiavellian fashion) omitted that I actually had a fair amount of knowledge about the Royal Family so that I could find out how he, as a Swede, would describe the RF to a complete stranger who he believed knew nothing about the Swedish royals. Here is what he said:

1) CP Victoria is "very competent" and "represents the country very well". She is also "very popular".

2) Carl Philip is OK and so is his bride. BTW, he had met Sofia personally before and said "she seems to be a nice person". He specifically mentioned "she was involved in a program to help children in Africa" and didn't mention anything about her controversial past. The fact that he himself was involved in development programs in Africa (Kenya) might explain why he thought so highly of Sofia, but, in any case, his reply illustrates how Project Playground was good PR for her.

3) Queen Silvia, according to him, "doesn't speak Swedish properly". He also said she goes to Brazil very often, officially "on vacation", but people actually suspect she goes there "to have plastic surgery".

4) Maddie according to him "had problems in her youth" and decided to move to NY. He then said she married "a foreigner" and moved to the US where she had a daughter. He apparently resented that Madeleine had left the country.

5) He said nothing about the King and I didn't push the subject any further.

What do you think ?

Ι'm not swedish but struck me two things he said. First the Silvia Queen how many years? about forty amounts not yet know well the language? and second said nothing about the King imagining the opinion of him :ermm:

OH no no no no.

I feel sorry about the poor official court.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are kidding? The PR office is not even prepared to answer questions on this issue?!?

Now Expressen has edited their article
According to the Royal Court Princess Madeleine and Leonore will move at the fall.
- He is there to prepare for the next accommodation for the family, says Margareta Thorgren.

** So all the time the family has planned to move to London? And they think that the press will not find out that Chris has emigrated to London? And when the press finds out, Thorgren says that she can't comment. After a while she comments that Chris is in London to prepare the house to the family. Haven't Madeleine and Chris told at all to Thorgren what they are doing, when Thorgen isn't capable of handling the situation?

And now Thorgren to Aftonbladet
Chris O'Neill works mainly in England. It is true that he is registered in the UK, says Margareta Thorgren.
Princess Madeleine and Leonore are still registered in Sweden.
Aftonbladet can reveal that Madeleine and her daughter will move to the UK together with Chris.
- The whole family intends to move to England sometime in the fall. Already in December, we said that the Royal Mews was a temporary solution. There has been a plan that the family would eventually move on. Chris's business is primarily in England. Now he is there and also preparing new accommodation for the family which will also be extended, says Thorgren.
Is there a new accommodation they have chosen?
- There is nothing that we comment, says Thorgren.
Madeleine och Leonore flyttar från Sverige – tillsammans med Chris _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Last edited:
It sounds like when the PR people say "we have nothing to comment", they actually mean "hey, that's an interesting question, we hadn't thought of that, gonna call M&C to see what they think"
:lol:

Hopefully poor Margaretas job will get a bit easier now that the fidgety O'Neils packs up and leave town. They must've been quite a handful...

It sounds like when the PR people say "we have nothing to comment", they actually mean "hey, that's an interesting question, we hadn't thought of that, gonna call M&C to see what they think"
:lol:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:lol

It cant be that hard to say, ok the family is moving to London, where his work and business are

I thought they registered to life in Sweden.

How they going to live in London if Leonore has to be educated in Sweden if she was given a title? I'm confused.

I'm not sure about the royal press office.

to me it is pretty clear: Madeleine and Leonore live in Sweden, while Chris commutes... And we still don't know if the whole family will move or not... At the moment, Madde is about to give birth, so it is unlikely she will move to London during the summer

Expressen has once again updated their article and called Eva O'Neill, she was leaving to a dinner.
It was big news in Sweden today that your son and the family move to London. How do you comment on that?
- I know nothing about when they are going or what they do. I'm sorry, I wish I could give you more details.
Is Chris here (in London)?
- No, unfortunately.
Is he in the country?
- I do not know where he is. I'm sorry.
But you do not know why he moves.
- I'm sorry, but you must speak with Christopher about this.

When the family moved from New York the court sent a press release in which they wrote that Princess Madeleine and Leonore were registrated to residence in Sweden. According to Margareta Thorgren Chris O'Neill registrated to Sweden because he needed to be written somewhere.
- He has never really lived here permanently. He has his business in England.
The family is now looking for a home in London or around London, according to the court.
Translation

So Chris registers but doesnt live in Sweden? He only registred there because he has to register somewhere? First the family is moving to Sweden and now they are saying that they never indended to stay in Sweden? And the court confirms all of this? Who are they trying to kid with this PR strategy?

So Chris registers but doesnt live in Sweden? He only registred there because he has to register somewhere? First the family is moving to Sweden and now they are saying that they never indended to stay in Sweden? And the court confirms all of this? Who are they trying to kid with this PR strategy?

Thorgren refers to this press release from last December and claims that they never intented to stay in Sweden.
"Princess Madeleine and Christopher O'Neill have left their rented apartment in New York. They intend to find new accommodation in Europe.
Where is not yet decided, and the family is in no hurry with this decision. In the current situation, the base is flat in Stockholm."
Prinsessan Madeleine och Christopher O'Neill lämnar New York - Sveriges Kungahus

But at this article in Expressen in February it is said "Princess Madeleine seems to have the ambition to stay in Sweden for more than a year, under the title "My stay in Sweden" has the princess chosen the option 'I'll live in Sweden "and written "permanently". She could also have chosen a specified time to her stay, but chose "permanently".
Prinsessan Madeleine flyttar hem till Sverige _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
Princess Madeleine and Family Moving to London, 2015

Just saw this, probably the explanation for him not attending royal functions.:
“Chris O'Neill has left Sweden and has moved to London. The family intends to move to the UK and Chris has his principal business activities in England and he has moved there now. He is there to prepare for the next accommodation for the family. Princess Madeleine, Princess Leonore and the new baby are expected to move to London in the fall. Mr Chris O'Neill has no greater desire than to be with his family as much as possible.”

Margaret Thorgren, the royal court’s spokeswoman

Now that CP is getting married I expect Chris and Mads to slowly become more and more private and once CP and S have a baby I expect to see C & M once or twice a year at most.

Gosh I wish they'd make up their minds where they're going to live! Do they have any idea how much grief they are causing us here with their indecision and moving around the world at the drop of a hat? :lol:

Gosh I wish they'd make up their minds where they're going to live! Do they have any idea how much grief they are causing us here with their indecision and moving around the world at the drop of a hat? :lol:
I'm not sure it's not a made up mind. The rumor has always been they'd live in Europe and not Sweden. I don't see why this comes as a surprise to people.

According to Expressen, Madeleine and family will move to a house in Belgravia which Eva O'Neill owns.
Madde och Chris ska flytta in i svärmors hus _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

that's interesting, i thought they were flat hunting for their own house some time ago. maybe eva's property became available last minute? eva lives in the lovely eaton square, so i guess that's an address fit for madeleine and chris :)

i wonder how long they are planning to stay in london. is this a permanent move?

I'm not sure it's not a made up mind. The rumor has always been they'd live in Europe and not Sweden. I don't see why this comes as a surprise to people.

I'm not surprised at all. I think that London is a natural and practial base for them. Chris can run his business from there, and Madeleine can quite easily fly home to Sweden when/if she wants to.

The problems is - just as always with these guys - that their PR and information skills are below zero. Consistency. Information. That would help them a lot.

I supect that Roslyn wrote her comment with a heavy dose of irony, didn't you Roslyn;)?

I also agree with hernanmeispekka that they had a plan from the beginning. When they came back to Europe it was never announced that they'll be 'moving to Sweden', the announcement said 'to Europe'. Sweden probably never was a long-term option because of Chris' business plans. There is no point denying that London is a business hotspot in the financial world. They probably stayed in Sweden for a while with Chris being busy to set up his London base all the time.

Svensk Damtidning has an article about Chris at their latest issue, the paper version.
SD writes that Madeleine had longed for the move to Stockholm because she wanted to be closer to her family. But it hasn't been as easy for Chris. The rumours tell that Chris thinks that Stockholm is a too small town. For a man raised in Switzerland and London and who has lived the most of his adult life in New York small Östermalm is perhaps not so impressive. It is rumoured that he is depressed. And it is said that Chris thinks that the royal family is a little too fine and mighty for his taste. Nice, yes, but perhaps not similar than he has been used to as a businessman in NY. During the last times yet one rumour came to Svensk Damtidning's office. Chris is missing. Not even a person close to the court has seen him at The Royal Mews and it is gossipped that he is on a secret trip abroad in private commitments. A trip which is said to have a quick interruption at Carl Philip's and Sofia's banns because the king demanded it, but now the trip has continued again.

Well, thats a nice built up telltale, isn't it?:ROFLMAO: I think the only bit that might be true is that part of the reason why Chris and Madeleine will soon move to London is because Chris is a bit unconfortbale and maybe it is difficult for him to get used to "royal like" and to Sweden. But, I think that is only a part of the motive...

I don't think that the plan was to move to London from the beginning. I believe that Madde wanted to give it a try in Sweden and Chris followed suit, but the reality was beyond what Chris could tolerate. Otherwise they would have registered in the UK from the beginning. Its not difficult to find space to live, especially with family around. No, I think that Madde was homesick after NY with a small child and wanted her family around. It didn't work out and now they are finally moving to the UK. Now its not Chris who will commute but Madde. Chris might be happier now but I think it will be hard on Madde, London and Stockholm are not far apart compared to NY still its difficult to travel with two small children. Her mother and sister are not around the corner, the cousins don't grow up together. And she faces the old question: is Madde a Princess or Mrs O'Neill, same thing as when living in NY. And there are lots of paparazzi in London....

At least now we can assume that Chris will not participate unless he shows up.

Madie and Chris are obviously going through a difficult period... Chris probably did not appreciate the last months in Sweden as an enjoyable experience, bearing in mind the permanent investigations and criticism in the Swedish press. He must feel more comfortable in a more international environment, where he can use his own language.
I really hope this move will bring them back more serenity, otherwise the couple may get into difficulties. It will probably be easier for him to escape "royal commitments" in London. Up to Madie to commute.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f278/princess-madeleine-and-family-moving-to-lon

I disagree with people who assume they have been forced into moving to London. Didn't Madeleine or Chris (can't remember which) actually say they were looking at London months ago? The delay is probably down to them wanting to have their second baby in Sweden, if your going to move to Europe just before your second baby is born why not move home if that is where you want the birth to happen before moving on. Now the birth is close it makes sense for Chris to be looking for a house/home for the family so it can all be ready for once the baby is born, better to do it now than when there are 2 small children to look after.
Of course it would not at all surprise me if their recent time in Sweden has strengthened the couple' desire to stay away from living full time in Sweden, the media pressure on them is simply too great though I am sure the media will say they are running away or don't care about Sweden, making no mention of the fact the media themselves have created this situation in the first place.

I have always said London would be the perfect choice, a big city like the couple are use to in NY probably with plenty of friends around, plenty of business links for Chris and yet only 2 and bit hours away from Sweden with plenty of regular flights to allow them to visit Sweden and Maddie's family.

Maybe the best thing would be for Madeleine to get a job working in London, it would look like she is at least trying to earn her own living and give her a good reason not to be seen doing official duties all the time. She could still attend important high profile royal events in Sweden. Part of the problem I think is that Chris and Maddie are SO different in their role in the RF.

At least they live in Europe. If Madde is in London and she has engagments in Sweden she can hop into the plane and is there in 2 hours. Well Chris is a private man, I respect that and I can understand why he would prefer to work in London than in Stockholm.

I think they are clearly hoping if they life in London they will be able to better separate official royal Princess Madeleine couple from private Mr & Mrs O'Neil couple.

The thing is... If he wanted to have a more private life and they never intended to live in Sweden... In my opinion, they should have refused titles for their children.

Thoughts?

I've always wondered if Chris wanted to but Maddie or the King pushed for it

Back
Top Bottom