The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-24-2014, 04:08 PM
Courtier

Don't want to speculate but I think that the facts about Madeleine detaining her title and slowly making Leonore of a "real princess" might be a clear sign that no other children are going to be born from Victoria. I stand to be corrected though1 (Happily :-))

Old 05-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Madeleine, Chris and Leonore get a bigger apartment at Royal Mews (where Madeleine has been living), the court confirms.
- The family has gotten bigger and needs more space, said Margareta Thorgren.
How big the apartment is or where in the house it is the court would not comment.
- For safety reasons, we do not go out with it, says Thorgren.
The apartment has been renovated for a long time and it is hoped that the princess and her family should be able to move in during Leonore's first visit to Sweden.
The security is also an important matter.
- Little Princess Leonore will stay there and she is listed in the order of succession. These are that kind of security measures man does. It is natural and is made in consultation with SÄPO, says Thorgren.
The apartment will be used as overnight accommodation during the visits in Sweden and in connection with official duties. The court will not tell what the renovation cost, but points out that all the renovations in the Royal Mews is funded by the National Property Board.
Thorgren didn't want to comment for the rent of the apartment.
Aftonbladet avslöjar Prinsessan Madeleine får ny lya i Hovstallet Nyheter Aftonbladet

Expressen tells about the new apartment and has also listed Madeleine's visits to Sweden "Check out - so few times she has been in Sweden"

Madeleine gets a new luxury accommodation from her father the king.
Just in time before returning home from New York and the christening of Princess Leonore, they move into a large new home in the Royal Mews in Östermalm. However, it will stand empty for most of the year. Last year the family was in Sweden only a few times.
Margareta Thorgren to Expressen:
- The apartment will be available when Princess Madeleine and family visit Sweden. How often it will be I can't answer now. The princess has had a flat in the Royal Mews in many years. She chooses to live the same way. The flat is replaced with another apartment, because she has a larger family and because of safety reasons.
Princess Madeleine has since she moved to the United States only been home in Stockholm at large official celebrations as National Day and last autumn king's 40 years on the throne and traditional celebration of Christmas with the royal family. Otherwise, she has lived in her and Chris O'Neill's new floor in New York.
- Of course it's good that there is a solid base when Princess Madeleine comes home to Sweden, says Thorgren.
It has been speculated that Villa Parkudden on Djurgården might be the princess' new home in Sweden.
The house has been empty for a long, but now it seems that Madeleine has completely given up the plans.
- The Royal Mews has many apartments, Princess choose to stay there, explains Thorgren.
The renovation of the new floor has been going on for some time and the court explains that "hopefully the renovation will be completed on time."
- Otherwise, there are other temporary solutions, says Thorgren who doesn't want to reveal the rent: That information we do not go out with. But it is normal market rent.
Madeleines nya lya – blir den färdig i tid Nyheter Expressen
Translation

The cover of Expressen
Madde lets the new luxury apartment stay empty for the most time of the year
http://b.cdn-expressen.se/ImageHandl...ormat=original

Old 05-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen:
Princess Madeleine's new luxury apartment in the Royal Mews in central Stockholm cost 6.8 million SEK to renovate.
Most are paid by taxpayers.
- There has been a complete renovation that has covered all surfaces, water, sewage, electricity ventilation, given reconfiguration of the floor plan. Then, parts of it are billed as an option, that is to say that you've ordered a little over standard. The person who had lived there previously had lived there a long time and there was a need for renovation. It is not unusual renovation, we do with all tenants, says Lotta Günther, manager at the National Property Board.
The apartment has five rooms and a kitchen, but Lotta Günther doesn't want to say how many square meters there are.
- It's pretty big, she says.
How high will the rent be?
- It is not quite set yet because the final cost is not really clear. Otherwise, we always rent under public housing rent setting model.
What do similar apartments usually cost?
- 1200 SEK per square meter.
Where do you sent the contract of the rent?
- We send it to the Office of the Governor of the Royal Palaces. But as I said, the agreement is not clear yet, and will not take effect until July 1.
http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/sa-mycket-kostade-maddes-lyxlagenhet/
Translation
Old 05-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Don't want to speculate but I think that the facts about Madeleine detaining her title and slowly making Leonore of a "real princess" might be a clear sign that no other children are going to be born from Victoria. I stand to be corrected though1 (Happily :-))
Princess Leonore is currently n°2 in succession line, but I think that it should not lead to any further restrictive speculations, premature in my mind!!
Old 05-28-2014, 03:22 PM
Royal Highness

She is? I thought Estelle was 2nd. Victoria 1st, Estelle 2nd, Carl-Phillip 3rd and Madeleine 4th. Making Leonore 5th in succession line.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Aristocracy

You are correct about the line of succession Victoria is 1st; Estelle 2nd, Carl Philip 3rd, Madeleine 4th and Leonore 5th.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Madeleinie has given an interview to Expressen:

Madeleine: "Feeling misunderstood"
Madeleine tells that she is longing all the time back home to Sweden. She is proud to come home with Leonore. All this stuff around her makes her feel misunderstood. Feels like it increasingly becomes like this around her person, unfortunately.
Then she reveals: We will spend at least three months a year in Sweden and Europe.

It has been storming around the couple because of the information that Madeleine was vice president of two of her husband's companies and a new larger apartment at the Royal Mews. Madeleine says that when it comes to companies in the U.S., Chris has already answered the questions.
About the debate around their new apartment and that it has been renovated with 6.8 million SEK Madeleine wants to point out that there were other options that would have cost much more and been much larger: Villa Parkudden was long an option, but it is 900 square meters and not a living if they do not live full time in Sweden. The Royal Mews is because of safety and cost the best option. Of course they must have an accommodation while they are in Sweden.
She feels the criticism of the new floor is "undeserved": There are five rooms and a kitchen. It has not been renovated in extremely long and had, whether they would move in, being renovated. Madeleine clarifies on costs: They will pay the rent themselves. Thus private. Nothing is going from the apanage. It is their private money.

Madeleine says that she and Chris are extremely proud and excited to come home with Leonore and show her to friends and family and especially for the Swedish people. The baptism they want to share to all of Sweden. They will be with the rest of the royal family at the National Day celebrations at Skansen, but this year they have a duty of honor from the king. Madeleine and Chris will open the Palace to the public. It will be told officially later this week.
Madeleine Känner mig missförstådd Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Yes, probably they spend three months in a year in Sweden and Europe, about two months in the summer, two weeks during the Christmas and the rest a couple of times during the year. It looks good when it is written at the article. But how many work events Madeleine does during the year in Sweden?
It's good that Madeleine tells that they will pay the rent themselves. And about renovating the new home at the Royal Mews, yes, it would have been renovated for some other new tenants too, but I doubt with 6,8 million SEK (750 000 euros). And there would have been the two wing houses of Drottningholm Palace (Victoria lived there many years alone and later with Daniel until they moved to Haga) where they could have stayed while being in Sweden.
What a disappointment, I was hoping to see Estelle with her parents opening the Open Palace again on the National Day like last year.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:42 AM
Gentry

I do not find EUR 780k to be very expensive for renovating a city apartment. What do the Swedes expect, that she lives in a caravan while in Sweden????

Hopefully we see a bit of little Leonore on National Day. Taking her to the event would be a bit more spontaneous than what we will get to see at the baptism.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:20 AM
Courtier

I don't think Maddie's little girl is going to be up walking and talking by National Day......it would be great if she was but don't think so.....llolololo
Old 05-29-2014, 04:43 AM
Nobility

I think its great that Princess Madeleine and Chris will open the Royal Palace this year...its nice to see new faces each year...it would otherwise get boring...and I'm looking forward to hearing her speech...we dont hear her voice very often
Old 05-29-2014, 05:12 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I agree, 780.000 euros for the renovation of an old property is not excessive. The question is of course who should pay for it.

The princess is planning to spend 3 months per year in Sweden, that is more than she does at present I believe. I wonder if she is slowly preparing her husband for a complete move to Sweden.

I don't understand the outcry about the princess being involved in her husbands company. People should be happy that she has a life of her own IMHO. The new press department is doing a better job than the previous one btw.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

question is: what does she do when she is in sweden for 3 months. privately enjoying her home country or working for the crown..
Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I agree, 780.000 euros for the renovation of an old property is not excessive. The question is of course who should pay for it.

The princess is planning to spend 3 months per year in Sweden, that is more than she does at present I believe. I wonder if she is slowly preparing her husband for a complete move to Sweden.

I don't understand the outcry about the princess being involved in her husbands company. People should be happy that she has a life of her own IMHO. The new press department is doing a better job than the previous one btw.
Like said before, the problem of Madeleine being involved with Chris' company was that she was listed as vice president which could mean that she was the vice ceo. Being a shareholder isn't a problem. At The Royal Household's policy regarding company matters it is said that the Royal Family may not:
Be members of the boards of commercial companies
Be ceo or vice ceo
Be full-time employees
The court has just put the press release of the policy regarding company matters to their website
Policy kring Kungafamiljens ägande av bolag - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Madeleine didn't say that they will spend three months per year in Sweden, she said that they will spend at least three months per year in Sweden and Europe. During the time they have been together, they have spend a lot of time visiting Chris' mother and sister in London, Chris' sister in Austria, and had long holidays with their friends in Europe.
Until Madeleine shows otherwise, I think that the summer holiday (about two months) is included in the three months they are going to spend in Sweden and Europe. The swedish royal family starts normally their summer holiday in mid June, attends at the events on Victoria's birthday in July, the king and queen award the Öland Inhabitant of the Year in July and then the family continue their holiday until about 12th August. In some years big athletic events, funerals and other things like that can affect to their holiday.
Last year Madeleine and Chris were in Sweden in March for a couple of weeks. Then they came to Sweden for the banns of their marriage in mid May and stayed until the wedding and left to their honeymoon. They spent time in Sweden and Europe after their honeymoon and left from Sweden to USA in about 20th August. Then Madeleine was back in Sweden on 6th September, Chris came a little later, they stayed until 19th September. Then they arrived to Sweden in December to queen Silvia's 70th birthday.
Madeleine attended with the royal family in various events during last year. Outside them she had in Sweden two own solo events and one event with Chris.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:12 AM
Gentry

When do you think they will arrive in Sweden? Probably a few days before their first event on Friday....
Old 05-31-2014, 04:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissRoyal View Post
When do you think they will arrive in Sweden? Probably a few days before their first event on Friday....
i would have thought she may arrive soon so as to be able to catch up on any royal business / events before the christening... but who knows? in any case, she will surely want to arrive some days before at least to make sure how the prep for the christening is going.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-31-2014, 05:05 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissRoyal View Post
Since it is told at the court calender that Madeleine and Chris will open the gates to the Open Palace at 10.00 on the National Day 6th June, I would guess they will arrive on 4th June or earlier, because of adjusting to the time difference.

Expressen tells that Madeleine and Chris left on 7th May to the Ministry for Foreign Affairs an application for a diplomatic passport for Leonore. The documents witnessed by the Swedish Embassy in Washington show that Leonore on May 7th was 51 cm long and that the passport shall be valid for all countries. As Leonore is born in the U.S., she has not yet a Swedish social security number, only when Madeleine and Chris have registered her at the tax office in Stockholm as she gets a full social security number with the last four digits.
The application states that Leonore gets double surname Bernadotte O'Neill and she's already an American citizen.
On May 13, the passport was picked up by the courier who sent it to the United States.
- However, Princess Leonore has surnames only at the passport. At the registry office, she stands without surname as any other royal, explains Margareta Thorgren from the press department.
The court would not disclose exactly when Leonore arrives to Sweden.
Leonore får eget pass – reser hem för dopet Nyheter Expressen
Translation
The passport at the article is not the real one, it is done by Expressen.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Expressen has an article about Leonore's surname

According to documents to the Ministry for Foreign Affairs for issuing diplomatic passport to Princess Leonore it is shown under the column "surname": Bernadotte O'Neill.
What neither Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill or any officer has thought of is that since 1982 it is not allowed to wear the double surname. Katharina Leibring, name researcher at the Institute for Language and Folklore in Uppsala says that it's right.
But the double surname is of course very common?
- Absolutely, but that is then a surname and a middle name. In this case, Leonore's middle name is Bernadotte and her surname O'Neill. In any case, judging by the way they have filled in the application. But royals shall have no surname, says Leibring.
Tobias Wijk, an expert on national registration marketing issues at the Swedish Tax Agency:
- Most people think that there are two surnames, but it is in fact a middle name and a surname. We often contact parents to make sure which of the names they want to use as a surname.
Palace spokeswoman Margareta Thorgren:
- The royals are registered without surnames, as is Princess Leonore. To minimize problems at passport control, Princess Madeleine and Chris chose indicate two surnames to her passport
So Leonore isn't named as Bernadotte O'Neill as a middle name and surname?
- No, the royals have only first names. This was a practical issue when traveling. Princess Leonore is registered just like the other royals. She has no surname.
Maddes namnstrul inför prinsessdopet Nyheter Expressen
Translation
Old 06-01-2014, 06:17 AM
Courtier

To me it seems that Expressen is trying their hardest to find something wrong with P.Madeleine... or ate they always this critical concerning royals?
Old 06-01-2014, 06:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
To me it seems that Expressen is trying their hardest to find something wrong with P.Madeleine... or ate they always this critical concerning royals?
They are a newspaper, they make news. It is quite interesting that Madeleine and Chris wrote to the document Bernadotte O'Neill and not O'Neill Bernadotte.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Nobility

Just out of interest, why DID they fill in a surname when there really isn't a surname? Isn't that forgery of documents? Because I can't fill in a name into my passport that isn't really there, so why should it be allowed in that case? Leonore is just Leonore. End of story. Maybe they could fill in an extra line like "HRH Princess of Sweden" to explain, why there isn't a surname. That would at least be completely right and not lied as it is in case of a surname that isn't really there.

I'm a firm supporter of fair chance's.
Use your chance, Sofia. You're doing a fine job so far.