Princess Madeleine, Chris O'Neill and Family, General News 2: June 2015 - Sept 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually I think she is quite professional. She is entitled to Parental Leave, and yes you are, as you say, harsh and uncaring. We do not even know if the children come into this at all, merely that it is possible. It is also possible, if not probable, that Madeleine herself is unable to attend.

Margareta Thorgren said to the press that Madeleine doesn't attend to My Big Day and WCF event because of the children. Queen Silvia said in New York that Madeleine is very sorry she can't attend but "she couldn't leave the little man, he is only three months old".

It would be much better if she said that she was on full-time parental leave and stayed with the kids in London. Then - if everything worked out well at home - she could turn up as a surprise visitor on different occasions, and make people happily surprised (instead of disappointed when she promises and then cancel).

This would be a great way to do, it is a pity that Madeleine hadn't thought about that.

Margareta Thorgren said to the press that Madeleine doesn't attend to My Big Day and WCF event because of the children. Queen Silvia said in New York that Madeleine is very sorry she can't attend but "she couldn't leave the little man, he is only three months old".

This would be a great way to do, it is a pity that Madeleine hadn't thought about that.

Because a full maternity leave would mean she'd rule herself out as glamour princess for the main events, such as the parliament.

To me accepting events (one of them in NY) and than cancelling them - while attending the opening of the parliament only days earlier - is very unprofessional. To me it seems that Madeleine still wants to pick and chose the best out of both worlds and is failing.

Because a full maternity leave would mean she'd rule herself out as glamour princess for the main events, such as the parliament.

Is this a bad thing? Being a glamour princess? And enjoying it? :sad: Glamour princess seems like the ideal kind of princess to be, and to enjoy it, to boot. Much better than a frumpy princess, don't you think? Who's all cross and snippety?

If she want to be a glamour princess and take part only to a glamour events then Yes i think is problem.

To me accepting events (one of them in NY) and than cancelling them - while attending the opening of the parliament only days earlier - is very unprofessional. To me it seems that Madeleine still wants to pick and chose the best out of both worlds and is failing.

That's my point which got so much criticism, I don't mind or care if Madeleine doesn't want to do another royal duty in her life at all, my issue is with how she says she is going to attend something then at the last minute cancels, that IMO is unprofessional to do so often. Of course children come first and are 'unpredictable' but plenty of other working people and even royals have small children and manage to turn up to work.

If she want to be a glamour princess and take part only to a glamour events then Yes i think is problem.
Is this a bad thing? Being a glamour princess? And enjoying it? Glamour princess seems like the ideal kind of princess to be, and to enjoy it, to boot. Much better than a frumpy princess, don't you think? Who's all cross and snippety?
Absolutely. Is enjoying being a princess a sin? Does it really actually matter? It is not as if they are paying for her. The King's sister(s) occasionally appear at glamour events, perhaps we should tell them they can't just do the glamour events either?

I am absolutely confounded by the amount of passionate bile spouted against Madeleine. There seems no rhyme nor reason for such hostile reactions. She no longer lives full time in Sweden, and yes she has cancelled several appearances, some for unstated reasons and the last for a sick child. I would have thought that would be an end to it, but instead it seems to merely be yet more fuel on the fire judging by this last outpouring of meanness of spirit showing an almost total paucity of empathy.

Nobody here knows personally imagine the Madeleine as well as any other royal. Neither think anyone dislikes someone royal or have any empathy with anyone. Seeing the events everyone here has the opinion and making it. It is pleasing to all this or not is another story.

Is this a bad thing? Being a glamour princess? And enjoying it? :sad: Glamour princess seems like the ideal kind of princess to be, and to enjoy it, to boot. Much better than a frumpy princess, don't you think? Who's all cross and snippety?

No its not a bad thing in general, but being a representative of a country is more than that. No problem with being a glamour princess on the big events when you do the bread and butter events, too. When you're being approached by the common folk.
But this is something Madeleine doesnt like to do, the last time she tried in ended in a desaster, when she visited her(!) duchy and refused to give interviews other than 'I am happy to be here'.

I agree. Besides, the World Childhood Foundation and My Big Day are Madeleine's main personal projects as a member of the royal house. In fact, as you may recall it, the priest (pastor ?) who celebrated Madeleine's wedding even singled out those two projects in his homily as examples of Madeleine's finding her calling to help children. In many ways, it was more important for Madeleine to be at a My Big Day event in Sweden than to be at the state opening of parliament where, constitutionally speaking, the King and perhaps the Crown Princess as the future reigning queen are the only members of the royal family who actually must be there.

To be fair though, we don't know if Madeleine had a choice about going to the opening of parliament or not. King Carl Gustaf seems to want all his children and children-in-law to attend such state events, as shown by the fact that CP and Sofia were also there. It may be the case that he "ordered" Madeleine to attend and she couldn't say no. As you remember, she skipped the evening concert though and, I suppose, probably flew back to London.

Last edited:
To be fair though, we don't know if Madeleine had a choice about going to the opening of parliament or not. King Carl Gustaf seems to want all his children and children-in-law to attend such state events, as shown by the fact that CP and Sofia were also there. It may be the case that he "ordered" Madeleine to attend and she couldn't say no. As you remember, she skipped the evening concert though and, I suppose, probably flew back to London.

Excellent points. :flowers: One really does not know the real why's and where-fore's for her actions. Ascribing to her adolescent and venal motives is just accusatory with no basis in facts. IMO.

Madeleine didn't attend at the Opening of the Parliament in 2014 "because it is exhausting for a small child to do many long flights at a short time", so obviously the king couldn't order Madeleine to attend last year. Madeleine's name was at the calendar and she was supposed to attend, but her name was taken away 3 or 4 days before the Opening of the Parliament last year.
Madeleine ställer in – åker inte till Sverige _ Nyheter _ Expressen

Last edited:
Madeleine and Chris have arrived to Stockholm. They were seen yesterday in town. Chris was arranging his clothes for the christening. Madeleine was also seen out in town with Louise Gottlieb. In the evening Madeleine and her friends were at restaurant Milles, one of Madeleine's and Chris absolute favourites. Expressen claims that the purpose of the "godmother dinner" was to reveal who had been chosen as godparents. At the dinner with Madeleine were Louise "Lussan" Gottlieb, Katarina von Horn, Emma Pernald, Charlotte Cederlund and Natalie Werner. The group had a table a bit hidden inside the restaurant and only a few noticed the royal visit. Madeleine laughed several times during dinner. It was obvious that she liked to be home again in Stockholm and meet her closest girlfriends. Shortly before 23 o'clock yesterday evening they left Milles.
Här samlar Madeleine sin närmaste krets _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

I don't think she would announce who's the godmother with all her friends. It's a bit like whose the lucky winner !! More likely it's just a girls catch up dinner and the godmother has known for weeks.

Why not? Although I think that the all pretty know about it by now.

Madeleine and Chris have arrived to Stockholm. They were seen yesterday in town. Chris was arranging his clothes for the christening. Madeleine was also seen out in town with Louise Gottlieb. In the evening Madeleine and her friends were at restaurant Milles, one of Madeleine's and Chris absolute favourites. Expressen claims that the purpose of the "godmother dinner" was to reveal who had been chosen as godparents. At the dinner with Madeleine were Louise "Lussan" Gottlieb, Katarina von Horn, Emma Pernald, Charlotte Cederlund and Natalie Werner. The group had a table a bit hidden inside the restaurant and only a few noticed the royal visit. Madeleine laughed several times during dinner. It was obvious that she liked to be home again in Stockholm and meet her closest girlfriends. Shortly before 23 o'clock yesterday evening they left Milles.
Här samlar Madeleine sin närmaste krets _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

I hope Emma Pernald is chosen as godmother.

:previous:This would be very interesting. I do not know if I watched the little Nicolas or godfathers ;)

:previous:This would be very interesting. I do not know if I watched the little Nicolas or godfathers ;)

It would certainly be awkward if Carl Philip was also one of the godfathers ! I don't think it's going to happen though (I mean, Emma being a godmother), precisely because of the awkwardness of the situation.

:previous:I think too. Imagine all the magazines and on TV shows with what would deal? By baptism? Nooooo:)

It would certainly be awkward if Carl Philip was also one of the godfathers ! I don't think it's going to happen though (I mean, Emma being a godmother), precisely because of the awkwardness of the situation.
I agree. And it would add fuel to the rumours of there being bad blood between Sofia and Madeleine. So I think that is out of the question even if it would be approved by all involved, they would avoid it for the gossip-reason.

Expressen tells that when Madeleine was out with her girlfriends on Wednesday evening, Chris was with the children. But on Thursday morning Chris had to fly to England for work.
Madeleine was seen walking with her children and a nanny (whom Lindwall claims to be Elisabeth Zimmermann, but she is not. I think that perhaps she is Åse Blomqvist, the other former nanny of Madeleine and her siblings, who according to the press has also taken care of Madeleine's children). They went to Djurgården and spent about an hour there.
- The Princess is in Stockholm and is preparing for baptism on Sunday. The guests will be just in time for the baptism and both the Princess and Chris O'Neill are obviously excited, said Margareta Thorgren.
Här laddar prinsessan Madeleine för prins Nicolas dop _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

This is Elisabeth Zimmermann.
Prinsessan Estelles barnsköterska kom till firandet i Hagaparken | Åsas kungliga Europa

IBL Bildbyrå has a gallery "Princess Madeleine's London", photos taken in the neighborhood Madeleine lives and goes shopping and where Leonore goes to her club.
IBL Bildbyrå

Last edited:
I think Emma Pernauld should be picked as godmother if that what Madeleine and Chris truly want. Carl Philip, the king nor Sofia have no say as to who their son's sponsor should be. Neither does the press. To hamper a friendship because of family awkwardness and fear of media backlash or gossip is ridiculous in my opinion. The gossip has already started; and being a member of a royal family by blood or marriage will always put you in the sights of the media. Besides, Emma not being there, let alone not being a godmother, only confirms the speculation that Carl Philip cheated on Emma with Sofia (and he eventually dumped Emma for Sofia). Emma's public reaction to Carl-Philip & Sofia pre-wedding interview - where Carl Philip said he has known no other love before Sofia - gave the impression that the break up is still a sore point for Emma. Emma's presence at the christening (and being godmother) shuts the gossip down; Emma and Carl Philip show they have made their peace and moved on with their respective lives; and Sofia will get the scarlet letter taken off of her. Sometimes dealing with an issue head on is the best way (and puts the focus where it belongs - Nicolas). Avoidance makes it drag on.

Expressen tells that when Madeleine was out with her girlfriends on Wednesday evening, Chris was with the children. But on Thursday morning Chris had to fly to England for work.
Madeleine was seen walking with her children and a nanny (whom Lindwall claims to be Elisabeth Zimmermann, but she is not. I think that perhaps she is Åse Blomqvist, the other former nanny of Madeleine and her siblings, who according to the press has also taken care of Madeleine's children). They went to Djurgården and spent about an hour there.
- The Princess is in Stockholm and is preparing for baptism on Sunday. The guests will be just in time for the baptism and both the Princess and Chris O'Neill are obviously excited, said Margareta Thorgren.
Här laddar prinsessan Madeleine för prins Nicolas dop _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation[/URL]

Svensk Damtidning tells that the nanny with Madeleine yesterday was Åse Blomqvist, like I thought.
Åse hjälper prinsessan Madeleine med barnen _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Madeleine and Chris were seen yesterday at a walk in Östermalm with Nicolas. Later in the week they will go back to the UK.
As for Princess Madeleine, she has according to the court's calendar no official duties for the remainder of the year.
- The Princess has a number of official duties she will perform despite her formal right now to be at home with two small children. For example, she participates in the Nobel Prize Days and earlier this fall at the Opening of the Parliament. The Princess has full right to maternity leave, without it being challenged. It does not burden the royal apanage. says Margareta Thorgren
What will happen to the newly renovated floor at the Royal Mews where Princess Madeleine and her family lived during the short time in Sweden, has been uncertain.
The National Property Board has not heard anything from the court and according to Thorgren it has it's explanation.
- In Sweden we have something called the royal right of disposal, which means that the King has the right to use the palaces, where the Royal Mews are also included, but they are owned by the Swedish state. The disposition right is based on an agreement from 1810. It means that the King, the Head of State and his family, freely dispose of the properties that are within the scope of the right of disposal.
As an overnight apartment? Should we interpret it as that they will still be in Sweden a lot?
- Yes, the princess with the family will be in Sweden a lot. She also works a lot with Childhood. When Princess Madeleine is at home and has her duties, she and the family have the opportunity to stay in the apartment at the Royal Mews.
Chris och Madeleine återhämtar sig från Nicolas dop _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

As an overnight apartment? Should we interpret it as that they will still be in Sweden a lot?
- Yes, the princess with the family will be in Sweden a lot. She also works a lot with Childhood. When Princess Madeleine is at home and has her duties, she and the family have the opportunity to stay in the apartment at the Royal Mews.

Makes sense to me, for them to have a Swedish home. :flowers:

Is maternity leave one year in general in Sweden as I have heard?

According to Svensk Damtidning's "sources" Madeleine has a new, young nanny, who shall activate Leonore for a couple of hours a day, so that Madeleine and Nicolas get some time together, just the two of them.
The young nanny was seen arriving with Madeleine and Katarina von Horn to the christening rehearsal on Saturday 10th October, she was sitting at the back seat of the car and later held Leonore on her arms.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Is maternity leave one year in general in Sweden as I have heard?
Parental leave in Sweden is 390 + 90 days (during the first 390 days with about 75% of ones ordinary wage, the last 90 days with SKr 180), a total of 480 days, of those days 60 days are reserved for the mother and 60 days for the father, the rest of the days the parents can decide how they want to split them up. You don't need to take out all parental leave days during the first 16 months, it's possible to save days until the child is 12 (96 days can be saved until after the child is four years old), and you don't have to take parental leave 7 days/week, it's possible to take for example 3 days/week if you want to be at home for a longer period.

Expressen tells that Chris is selling the luxury villa in Florida, with 44,5 million SEK. He bought it in 2008 with 17,6 million SEK via his company Bahama Beach Holdings, Ernst von Abensperg und Traun is with at the company too.
Chris O'Neills lyxhus är nu till försäljning _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Well, that may be an exaggeration. Real estate has rebounded, but those are bubble figures, to my eye. If he got that price, he's either lucky or did a lot of upgrades. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom