General Information on Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good grief, it does seem as if certain elements in the Swedish press are blowing a simple traffic violation all out of proportion.

The press wouldn't have written so much about this if Bertil Ternert wouldn't insist that it was legal and acceptable to drive at the bus lane. Surely this will cause a lot of bitter comments from the common people who are often at the traffic jams in Stockholm. Not a positive incident for Madeleine, whose popularity isn't so good nowadays.

Yup, it would have just been a simple traffic violation if she would have apologized and paid her fine instead of arguing that she's above the law.

Does not reflect positively on her.

The court is criticized from several directions - just three days before the wedding.
- That they have these rights is contrary to the democratic society, says Mats Lindberg, professor of political science at Örebro University.
Lindberg criticizes that the county government grants this type of special permit that common people are not able to get. It brings to mind some sort of elite society. It is unjustified to give a privilege in this way.
PR consultant Paul Ronge says that the court should have been more humble in their comments, this gives signals that Madeleine has her own privilege in life where normal rules do not apply to her. It's incredibly stupid. If there is an exception she shouldn't try to use it, especially now before the wedding.
According to Cenneth Malmström, active in the union in the Municipal and travel by bus in Stockholm, the bus drivers are irritated to private motorists who choose bus lane. It is not so appreciated and it's travelers who are affected.
”Otroligt korkat” Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Daniel didn't "roll over". He went into his marriage with his eyes open - and his mind and heart firmly in place. He knew what his role would be - to support Victoria and the royal family. And IMHO he is doing a fantastic!!! job.

That's what I meant by rolling over...I should've used another word but that's what I meant. He was selfless when it comes to Victoria.

Daniel 'rolled over' because he decided to marry a future Queen, and that means her future role takes absolute precedence. If he didn't like that, then he didNt have to get married.

Madeleine is a completely different case.

Currently 4th in line to the throne, and can only get further away. She lives and works in America, she is marrying an American and therefore royal life is not a priority. H is taking nothing by way of finance or status from the SRF. He is rather like Prince Philip in that all the ceremonial disinterests or bores him. Stuffy palace types in 1947 said that that marriage wouldn't last and now over 60 years later .............

He is going through the fuss, will get married and then they will get back to their normal life. Can't believe that some of you are being so negative.

Lighten up and be happy for them.

Who said I wasn't happy for them? I don't appreciate your saying I'm negative..when that's not my intention at all. In my mind they don't seem like a perfect match but that's my opinion, I'm still very much happy for them and I hope it works out.

Madeleine is still a royal so Chris does have to be a little selfless like Daniel at times. You can't just brush the fact that she's royalty under the carpet.

I think it's very dificult to say if a mariage will be longer or not. I will not judge Cris and his relationship with Madeleine. In my opinion, they're a couple with many things in common, especially their bad relatioship with the press. Although her popularity is not good, I'II hope their happiness.

That's what I meant by rolling over...I should've used another word but that's what I meant. He was selfless when it comes to Victoria.

Who said I wasn't happy for them? I don't appreciate your saying I'm negative..when that's not my intention at all. In my mind they don't seem like a perfect match but that's my opinion, I'm still very much happy for them and I hope it works out.

Madeleine is still a royal so Chris does have to be a little selfless like Daniel at times. You can't just brush the fact that she's royalty under the carpet.
I like the word "selfless". And I completely agree, Daniel has been selfless since his engagement to Victoria. Very nice phrasing.

Some people are already planning Madeleine and Chris's separation/divorce and yet they are not even married! Whether the marriage will work out or not no one can predict, as with anyone's marriage or partnership. I wish them happiness and good luck for their big day and for many years to come.

Will their children be Catholics or Lutherans?

Will their children be raised as Lutherans? According to the Constitution of Sweden, "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]any member of the Royal Family not professing this faith shall be excluded from all rights of succession".

Personally, I would not be surprised if they decided to raise them as Roman Catholics. O'Neill remained a private citizen and Madeleine's role has significantly diminished. If I am not mistaken, a Roman Catholic priest officiated at their wedding.
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Will their children be raised as Lutherans? According to the Constitution of Sweden, "any member of the Royal Family not professing this faith shall be excluded from all rights of succession".

Personally, I would not be surprised if they decided to raise them as Roman Catholics. O'Neill remained a private citizen and Madeleine's role has significantly diminished. If I am not mistaken, a Roman Catholic priest officiated at their wedding.

The children would also have to be raised in Sweden to be able to succeed, right? I doubt that scenario will actually happen. Victoria will probably have more children and Carl Philip at some point.

The children would also have to be raised in Sweden to be able to succeed, right? I doubt that scenario will actually happen. Victoria will probably have more children and Carl Philip at some point.

Yes, they also have to be raise in sweden if they are to keep their place in the order of succesion. But like you said, in 10 years Madeleine will be way further down the royal ladder, along with her children (I assume that they'll start a family). So I don't think that it's a big think if her future children aren't able to succed.

If she had married Jonas, no doubt they would have remained in Sweden and carried out royal engagements as a team. But as she has married someone from a different country, she is moving to the States as his wife? Is this correct?

She has been living in the US for 3 years and yes she and her husband will return and continue to live in NYC.

Where in Manhattan do Chris and Madeleine live?
Was it his appartment where she moved in?

Is it just me or does anyone else have a feeling after reading this, that this is not a marriage that is going to last. After reading several articles and seeing pictures, I'm just not convinced of the longevity of this relationship. Of course, I do not know them personally, it's just a sixth sense or feeling that I'm getting.

I have worked in finance in NYC and it's a rough existence. I find it strange that Chris O'Neill wants to continue to do it. My only thought is that he must be hedging his bets: if his royal marriage doesn't work out, he'll have his career (and income).

He doesn't seem very happy in the pictures I saw online; the smile usually seems forced.

Maybe my thoughts just reflect how happy I'd be to be a member of a royal family!

Last edited:
I have worked in finance in NYC and it's a rough existence. I find it strange that Chris O'Neill wants to continue to do it. My only thought is that he must be hedging his bets: if his royal marriage doesn't work out, he'll have his career (and income).

He doesn't seem very happy in the pictures I saw online; the smile usually seems forced.

Maybe my thoughts just reflect how happy I'd be to be a member of a royal family!

Can I clarify: you thought his smiles at the wedding were forced?

If so, I would urge you to watch a video if the wedding.

I think that it was honorable of him to decline titels and all things that could come with marrying a princess. Madeleine will be pushed further down the royal ladder when (I assume) Victoria and Daniel have more children. Any future children of Carl Philip will also preced her. I compare her position to our current kings' sisters. We hardly see them on the royal scene here in Sweden except for family events like the wedding this weekend. Christina is an exception, but she's still not that visible. That will also be the future for Madeleine.

Now she's found a man she loves and loves her. He can also, I hope, support her financially and emotionally. They want to continue to carv our a life for themselves in the US. I'm totally fine with that. I hope that Madeleine - and sometimes also Chris - comes home to Sweden for big events like the national day celebration and the Nobel festivities, so that we get a glimpse of her now and then. Besides that, I think that most people are just glad that she's found her way in life.

Can I clarify: you thought his smiles at the wedding were forced?

If so, I would urge you to watch a video if the wedding.

Your point is a fair one. I didn't watch the wedding; I just Googled "Chris O'Neill photo" and looked at what I saw". He just didn't generally look very happy or nice. But admittedly I didn't see the wedding itself.

Your point is a fair one. I didn't watch the wedding; I just Googled "Chris O'Neill photo" and looked at what I saw". He just didn't generally look very happy or nice. But admittedly I didn't see the wedding itself.

I watched the wedding, and Chris appeared to be genuinely happy. He had a hard time keeping his emotions in check during parts of the ceremony, and seemed quite elated every time he looked at his bride. I do remember seeing pictures of him prior to the wedding, and he did indeed appear a bit glum, but maybe that was his way of attempting to get a feel for what was expected. I'd imagine that someone who is a private citizen would have a hard time smiling for a camera on cue (at least in the beginning).

I'm glad for him, and thank you for sharing that info, which I didn't have. My point wasn't that he didn't smile on cue before; he just didn't look nice or happy in general.

I'm thinking totally different of Chris now after seeing the wedding. I always thought he looked glum and irritated, but that's obviously not who he is at all. It was nice to see that he had some kind of feelings.

if i may add to this. I went back and read over this thread to understand this conversation. CSENYC never said Chris's wedding pictures did not look happy i believe what he saw was general pictures of a man who did not look happy. In video and still photo from his wedding he finally looked happy. I believe we all agree his wedding day is a good day to show that.

I'm thinking totally different of Chris now after seeing the wedding. I always thought he looked glum and irritated, but that's obviously not who he is at all. It was nice to see that he had some kind of feelings.

Amen!!!!! Could not have said it better.

wow, what a change of life for her, if she was marring Jonas she would had a castle in seweden to live and now with Chris in NY, where Royalty doesn't exist. wonder where her kids would born, hope in seweden.

wow, what a change of life for her, if she was marring Jonas she would had a castle in seweden to live and now with Chris in NY, where Royalty doesn't exist. wonder where her kids would born, hope in seweden.

I find it hard to relieve their children will be born in Sweden.

But hasn't she said in an interview that she can imagine raising up her children in Sweden?

I don't remind to which media she have said this!

Although the wedding was beautiful, there is many critical columns in the press

From Rebecca Weidmo Uvell's column in Sunday's Aftonbldet

Princess Madeleine is 31, lived for several years in New York with no plans to move back home and is now the wife of the wealthy American financier. As the youngest child of the King, Madeleine has no formal reason to stay in Sweden and is free to do as she pleases. Now it's time for her to grow up for real and start providing for herself. The marriage is a great opportunity for the princess to strengthen the monarchy and the royal family's trust and renounce. Apanage she receives from the king. Just as her friend Princess Märtha Louise voluntarily did when she married. Renunciation of financial support from taxpayers would be an important signal to all the Swedes who support the monarchy, for they are still a clear majority. A thank you for the confidence and support Princess Madeleine and her family received over the years and still get.
Being royal is no ordinary work. It means great privilege but also great responsibility. Princess Madeleine should now, like much appreciated Princess Christina, represent without any fee. It is not reasonable and was never meant that apanage would be a lifetime supply of adult members of the royal family. There is a new heir to the throne, Princess Estelle. Hopefully the child loving crown princess couple gets more children, and apanage will be moved gradually over the next generation of the royal children.
Madeleine has worked for several years for Childhood, the Foundation should pay wages for her so that she can support herself, instead of the taxpayers subsidize free work. She has also received her fair share of criticism in the media, who accused her of just shop, eat lunches and live a life of luxury. By renouncing the apanage Princess Madeleine would strengthen confidence in herself. Do the only right thing, Princess Madeleine. Do yourself and the royal family as an institution, a service. Thank Swedish people for the support and the decline continued supply.
Rebecca Weidmo Uvell Gör monarkin en tjänst – tacka nej till apanage Debatt Aftonbladet

Columnist Lena Mellin on Monday's Aftonbladet

A royalty or Mrs. O'Neill? It is time to choose life
After her marriage Madeleine is still Princess and Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland. Although her husband is known simply as Mr. Madeleine wants to have the cake and eat it. She may choose to keep her princess titel and participate in the royal family's official duties. Or she may withdraw and behave more like Mrs. O'Neill.
It wasn't the same for the three of the king's sisters who chose not to marry a prince. They can call themselves princess, but with additions Mrs. Unlike Madeleine they were also out of the Royal Court from the moment they said yes in the church.
The reason that Madeleine retreats is her desire for a private life. She gives rarely or never interviews, not even with the engagement. Against that she completely withdraws from the limelight tells that Madeleine nevertheless retains her princess title. Madeleine continues to work for World Childhood Foundation, attends the royal family's official appearances in the U.S., and at major ceremonies in Sweden.
Also Chris wants surely that she does some missions where he also may attend. The man has clear career ambitions and what is better than a real European princess?
Madeleine is now fourth in succession. If her possible child also becomes heir to the throne remains to be seen. According to tradition, they wouldn't. But the king has often proved a more liberal interpretation of the royal traditions than his predecessors. According to the order of succession, one of the fundamental laws, the princes and princesses should be brought up in the evangelical faith and within the country. Even the king can't change that.
En kunglighet eller Mrs O’Neill Det är hög tid att välja liv Lena Mellin Kolumnister Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Where in Manhattan do Chris and Madeleine live?
Was it his appartment where she moved in?

According to Aftonbladet, they live in Midtown East and both moved in at the start of 2012.

Does anyone have any idea how, or if, Chris will be listed in the "family" portion of the official website?

Does anyone have any idea how, or if, Chris will be listed in the "family" portion of the official website?

We will have to wait, they haven't updated Madeleine's marriage to her website yet. When the court released that Chris will not have a title, they wrote "In accordance with royal protocol, a member of the Royal Family should be a Swedish citizen, and should not hold a position of responsibility within business".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom