The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Royal Highness

I thought I read somewhere, regarding Madde's interview (can't open link - computer issues here), that she was considering renouncing her HRH, but her father would not hear of it.

If this is the case, it makes things a bit more complicated. If renouncing would upset her parents, if her father is insistent upon giving the child a title, I feel more sympathy towards her in this position. Anyway, whoever is making the decisions, I would hope that the parents are for the most part staying out of it, as they should stay out of their adult children's lives.

As for moving, look - some people simply love New York. I grew up there - it is like no other city on earth, from all of the other cities I've been. I don't blame people for wanting to live where they want. Chris declined a title - why should he not get to live where he wants.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
I thought I read somewhere, regarding Madde's interview (can't open link - computer issues here), that she was considering renouncing her HRH, but her father would not hear of it.

If this is the case, it makes things a bit more complicated. If renouncing would upset her parents, if her father is insistent upon giving the child a title, I feel more sympathy towards her in this position. Anyway, whoever is making the decisions, I would hope that the parents are for the most part staying out of it, as they should stay out of their adult children's lives.
Madeleine and Chris gave an interview to Svenska Dagbladet on July. In the interview Madeleine was asked: Did you ever discuss about the choice that even you could get off in the same way as Princess Märtha Louise made ​​in Norway?
Madeleine answered: We thought about it too. But my family and I found this was the best route for us. It is important for me to represent Sweden and I am also proud to do it in the U.S.
Smekmånaden kvar i vardagen – exklusiv intervju med Madeleine och Chris SvD

Old 11-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks for the response, LadyFinn.

I guess we will have to wait and see - I don't think place of birth is as significant as the national identity this child has. Although if an HRH grows up outside of Sweden - no matter how close, Norway, Denmark, Switzerland, etc, I think it will raise eyebrows.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
On the cover of Svensk Damtidning: To a new home Madeleine and Chris move in three weeks Agent: They needed a bigger one http://www.allerbutiken.se/Global/Covers/SDT.jpg Stoppa pressarna quotes the article in Svensk Damtidning and tells that Madeleine and Chris have gained a bigger and more child-friendly accommodation. They are going to move in three weeks. They leave their penthouse of 220 square metres and move to a more child-specific area on Roosevelt Island, which is located in the East River across from Manhattan. According to the couple's agent their home isn't big enough now when they are having a child and Roosevelt Island is one of the latest trend places to stay in New York. Here, among others, Beyoncé and Jay-Z have one of their homes. It seems like Madeleine defies both her mother's and sister's plea to return to Sweden. A close source told to Svensk Damtidning that "as I understand from the princess she wants to both to give birth and live in New York". The reason that Madeleine and Chris stay in New York is believed to be that they can be more anonymous than in Sweden, and that Chris wants to be close to his work. Prinsessan Madeleine och Chris O'Neill stannar i New York Translation
Didn't he recently quit his job?
Old 11-07-2013, 12:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCtrojan View Post
Didn't he recently quit his job?
Yes, the swedish media found out after the wedding that Chris had quitted working for Noster Capital already before the wedding. Swedish media told in the summer that Chris would start his own business and work as a "business angel" for young entrepreneurs and investors. But the media hasn't told anything about Chris' work after the summer.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Yes, the swedish media found out after the wedding that Chris had quitted working for Noster Capital already before the wedding. Swedish media told in the summer that Chris would start his own business and work as a "business angel" for young entrepreneurs and investors. But the media hasn't told anything about Chris' work after the summer.
I wonder if Daniel had any influence on this decision, or if he is a "silent partner" with Chris.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Madeline may be a princess by birth, but she's definitely not a princess by trade. Let her live where she wants, do what she wants, etc. She has never been, IMO, a princess-type person.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarNoe View Post
I wonder if Daniel had any influence on this decision, or if he is a "silent partner" with Chris.
And why would Daniel have something to do with Chris' career? The reason Chris quit at the Noster Capital was probably the huge amount of bad press he got because of his job there.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Heir Apparent

220 square meters is not large enough for a couple with a baby!
OMG, do they realise how do real people live?
Old 11-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Royal Highness

220 square meters is about 2,381 square feet by my calculations. That's already a huge amount of space in Manhattan.

They might be European by birth, but they have certainly become American!
Old 11-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Imperial Majesty

Svensk Damtidning wrote that the penthouse where Madeleine and Chris now live, is owned by a well-known female doctor, they pay rent for it SEK 107000, about 12100 euros a month. About Madeleine and Chris moving to Roosevelt Island, the paper article in Svensk Damtidning says that it could be a possibility. I'm quite sure that the magazine tells in a couple of weeks, where Madeleine's and Chris' new home is.

About that 220 square metres isn't big enough, perhaps they need rooms for a nanny?
Old 11-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Courtier

Quote:
And why would Daniel have something to do with Chris' career? The reason Chris quit at the Noster Capital was probably the huge amount of bad press he got because of his job there.
I just wondered because of the "entpreneur" thing which Daniel is so involved in.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
220 square meters is about 2,381 square feet by my calculations. That's already a huge amount of space in Manhattan.

They might be European by birth, but they have certainly become American!
2300 sq.ft is not by any standard "large". For a couple of their social standing and wealth they are living very modestly.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Svensk Damtidning wrote that the penthouse where Madeleine and Chris now live, is owned by a well-known female doctor, they pay rent for it SEK 107000, about 12100 euros a month. About Madeleine and Chris moving to Roosevelt Island, the paper article in Svensk Damtidning says that it could be a possibility. I'm quite sure that the magazine tells in a couple of weeks, where Madeleine's and Chris' new home is.

About that 220 square metres isn't big enough, perhaps they need rooms for a nanny?
I am sure they'll have a live in person to take care of the baby/household. As Roosevelt Island is far more restricted than Manhattan, maybe they plan to escape some pararazzis there, on the other hand, both don't strike me as Roosevelt Island people. Its very small, there are restrictions on cars etc. I think most people commute for work into Manhattan by cable car.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Chris was a partner and head of research in Noster investment firm so he most likely sold his share rather than "quitting". His involvement in the hedge fund would have made the fund too tempting for Swedish journalists to start digging for information. Both the fund itself and the investors would have lost any privacy and confidentiality.

By being an "angel" investor he certainly would have a similar interest as Prince Daniel. Funding and encouraging star-up companies seem to lay in both their interest. It is also a very lucrative form of investing. Just look at the original Twitter and Facebook investors.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Imperial Majesty

According to swedish gossip magazine Se & Hör (which Stoppa pressarna quotes) Madeleine and Chris have bought a 250 square metres apartment (6 rooms and a kitchen) from Stockholm. There has been a thorough renovation.
- Everything is top secret and only the board of the housing society knows who the new neighbors are, says a source to Se & Hör.
Madeleine och Chris köper lyxigt drömboende i Stockholm
Old 11-14-2013, 10:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

How reliable could this report be?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
How reliable could this report be?
Se & Hör is a bad gossip magazine, so it really isn't reliable, but sometimes even they got the right information. I guess we will later find out if this is true.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:42 AM

Does anyone know what is usually the tradition/rule in Sweden when it comes to the HRH title? I wonder if its even possible for Madeleine's child to become an HRH?

In Denmark only the children of the monarch and the children of the heir will get the title HRH. The next lines are only HH.

So for example in Denmark this means that Crown Prince Frederik's children are all HRH, while Prince Joachim's children are only HH (eventhough Prince Joachim is HRH himself). In the future only Prince Christian's children will be HRH, while the rest of Mary and Frederik's grand children can only become HH. (Of couse depending on the different circumstances that may arise, some may even just be private citizens).

Also a slightly similar case is when Princess Benedicte of Denmark married. She kept her title and succession rights after she married and moved to Germany, though I do think this also had something to do with the fact that she was only second in line to the throne at that time. Her children don't have succession rights as they weren't raised in Denmark which was a prerequisite.

Maybe something similar will be the case in Sweden?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessTamTam View Post
Does anyone know what is usually the tradition/rule in Sweden when it comes to the HRH title? I wonder if its even possible for Madeleine's child to become an HRH?

In Denmark only the children of the monarch and the children of the heir will get the title HRH. The next lines are only HH.

So for example in Denmark this means that Crown Prince Frederik's children are all HRH, while Prince Joachim's children are only HH (eventhough Prince Joachim is HRH himself). In the future only Prince Christian's children will be HRH, while the rest of Mary and Frederik's grand children can only become HH. (Of couse depending on the different circumstances that may arise, some may even just be private citizens).

Also a slightly similar case is when Princess Benedicte of Denmark married. She kept her title and succession rights after she married and moved to Germany, though I do think this also had something to do with the fact that she was only second in line to the throne at that time. Her children don't have succession rights as they weren't raised in Denmark which was a prerequisite.

Maybe something similar will be the case in Sweden?
I have written to this forum many times that the king's lawyer Axel Calissendorff told to swedish magazine Svensk Damtidning in September that the child will be a prince or a princess and since Madeleine is a HRH, her child will be also a HRH, so it seems that it is possible in Sweden. Or otherwise the king's lawyer has made a fool of himself.
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/...38#/e96db138/2

Tags
chris o'neill, princess madeleine