The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Commoner

Will their children be Princes or Princesses of Sweden?

Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

How romantic

'I fell for her beautiful blue eyes,' says Princess Madeleine's lawyer fiancé

..."I went down on one knee and proposed," 30-year-old Jonas told members of the press gathered at the royal family's summer residence. "And I said, 'Of course I want to," Princess Madeleine finished... - HelloMagazine

Old 08-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenguy View Post
I don't think so but I'm not very good at succession law so if we have an expert

https://twitter.com/#!/Princesseswatch
Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonbon View Post
Official picture of the engagement photo from Royalcourt

http://www.royalcourt.se/images/18.4...ovstaterna.jpg
Has this photo been taken earlier? Because it doesn't look like it was taken yesterday (judging by the hair style and clothing) and I could swear I've seen it on other news stories before the press conference took place. This engagement has certainly been more low key than Victoria's. I'm still hoping to get a statement from the king and queen. I'd love to hear their comments. And it would have been nice to see the rest of the family too. Well, we'll see them eventually. What is the next bigger event coming up?

Oh, and about the future children - will they be without titles and have the surname Bergström? I'm not sure what the custom is in Sweden. They will be the children of the duke and duchess in effect, so will the children have some kind of titles or not? And, will Madeleine be called fru Bergström in addition to her other titles or will she simply have the titles she has had so far?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Aristocracy

I think the picture was made on Monday. The pic was available yesterday morning and so it must be taken earlier.

It's exactly my point of view that it is strange that we didn't see any other member of the royal family in connection with the engagemant. First I thout that there would be a statement of the King and Queen like on the engagement of Victoria and Daniel. Maybe we will get a statement on Saturday when the royal couple has the first official event after the summerbreak.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:23 AM
Courtier

This was a surprise. I was expecting next year...Congratulations to the couple...They look so happy. Maybe their wedding will be smaller compared to her sister, which I think will be bombarded by foreign dignitaries, though I'm not complaining. :p
Old 08-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenguy

I don't think so but I'm not very good at succession law so if we have an expert
Well, they could be princes or princesses, because the children of King Carl Gustavs sister Brigitta are princes and princesses, too. But then again, Brigitta married a prince and not a commoner. So it could be different with Madeleines future kids.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
Well, they could be princes or princesses, because the children of King Carl Gustavs sister Brigitta are princes and princesses, too. But then again, Brigitta married a prince and not a commoner. So it could be different with Madeleines future kids.
But Birgittas children have the Title through their father. Therefore they are not Prince/Princess of Sweden and have the Title Prince/Princess of Hohenzollern.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 08-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Aristocracy

Does Jonas Bergström now have a bodyguard?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
But Birgittas children have the Title through their father. Therefore they are not Prince/Princess of Sweden and have the Title Prince/Princess of Hohenzollern.
They did? I didn't know that. I was only aware of the titles and guessed they were princes and princesses of Sweden. But then again, they would be mentioned at the official website of the swedish royal family if they would be. Should have thought about that. Thanks for correcting me.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenguy View Post
it looks as if in the swedish royal family children inherit whatever the position of the father is before marriage. as such, the children of princess birgitta who married prince johan are princes of hohenzollern, princess desiree's children (who married a baron) are barons and baronesses and those of princess christina (married commoner) just took their father's surname. so i guess their children will just be "X bergstrom" or maybe the kind allows madeleine to pass her titles as duchess onto them.

are there any translations of what the couple told the press?
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 08-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Gentry

Waooo, It really surprises me! It's so great, I mean. Congrates to the new lovebrids!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Nobility

In the British Royal Family, children inherit titles from their father - unless the woman is the Monarch, when her children are treated the same as they would be if she was King (if you see what I mean!). This is regardless of the fact that they are in the line of succession (both the English and Scottish Royal families, before they united in the person of James VI and I, had female succession if there were no sons). It all depends, therefore, on whether the father already has a title when they marry (or if he gets a title on marriage) or if he remains plain Mr. Princes Margaret's children are titled, but Princess Anne's are not (and they are higher in the succession!).

I would, therefore, think that Victoria's children will have the full titles of Royal Prince or Princess, the same as if she was a male heir, but Madeleine's children will have the titles that a Duke's children would have. However, it may be that they have arranged things differently in Sweden.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

It will most likely be like in Spain that Jonas shares his wifes ducal title and their children will bear the surname Bergström. The swesdish ducal are not heridtary and after the present holder has passed away the go back to the Crown and are avalible for a new grant.

Royal Travel and Events

Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeleine victoria View Post
This was a surprise. I was expecting next year...Congratulations to the couple...They look so happy. Maybe their wedding will be smaller compared to her sister, which I think will be bombarded by foreign dignitaries, though I'm not complaining. :p
Well it makes since that Victoria's would have all sorts of foreign dignataries at hers - she's heiress to the throne, therefore her wedding willl most likley be bigger - as you implied - and probably televised as the Danish crown princely couple's nuptials were in 2004. But I think you're right, Madeleine and Jonas' wedding definately won't be a gigantic affair like Victoria and Daniel's.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:02 PM
Courtier

Congratulations to Princess Madeleine and Jonas! I wish them all the best. I can't beleive both sisters, she and Victoria got engaged in the same year. I am looking forward to their royal weddings. Madeleine looked so beautiful and so is her diamond engagment ring.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Courtier

I think Madeleine wanted for Jonas the same "rank" like Daniel has as soon as possible (means: No longer boyfriend but fiance). Otherwise she could have waited until next year to become engaged. But I also believe that she would be already married for some time now if she wasn´t to wait until Viktoria became engaged.
So Madeleine told her parents: "As soon as Viktoria is engaged I also want my engagement because I had to wait so long and could be married already..."
Just my opinion. And IMO the royal court wants to avoid all those invited guests bringing their boy-/girlfriend along instead of being engaged. So this is another reason why she in any case was to become engaged with Jonas before Viktorias wedding because he of course is invited after such long relationship with Madeleine.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Aristocracy

congratulations to the couple! what a happy year for the swedish royal family. some more articles and links:

Royalty in the News » Blog Archive » Princess Madeleine Engaged!

Princess Madeleine Engaged

Zweite Schweden-Prinzessin verlobt! - MSN Starlounge

Madeleine und Jonas: Das große Verlobungsglück - MSN Starlounge

Här är den fantastiska förlovningsringen! | svenskdam.se
Old 08-12-2009, 04:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat2006 View Post
I guess unless the King want it so, Madeleine children could be prince or princess.

Congratulations to the lovely couple!! The groom is very handsome, I think their children will be beautiful.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:54 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
I think Madeleine wanted for Jonas the same "rank" like Daniel has as soon as possible (means: No longer boyfriend but fiance). Otherwise she could have waited until next year to become engaged. But I also believe that she would be already married for some time now if she wasn´t to wait until Viktoria became engaged.
So Madeleine told her parents: "As soon as Viktoria is engaged I also want my engagement because I had to wait so long and could be married already..."
Just my opinion. And IMO the royal court wants to avoid all those invited guests bringing their boy-/girlfriend along instead of being engaged. So this is another reason why she in any case was to become engaged with Jonas before Viktorias wedding because he of course is invited after such long relationship with Madeleine.
Is it really true the younger siblings cannot marry until the first one does? I wonder why that is.

Tags
engagement, princess madeleine