Engagement of Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill: October 25, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations to them I wish them the best. I thought the video was cute and different.

Congratulations to the couple!
Now the media will focus even more on Madeleine and Chris, I suppose.

I definitely hope that they will marry in May or in July because in June I am giving birth to my second child and won't be able to watch the wedding on TV.

HAHAHA!!!!

That's the main reason why I excluded June myself. Only that it's my first child and not the second. ;)

Congratulations. But it's a bit soon in my eyes, love is love I guess.

Maybe we see Prince Charles and Camilla at the wedding as Charles is a good friend of Madeleine's mother-in-law.

And even though I really wish Carl Philip and Sofia their happily ever after, too, I really hope they keep calm now until after Madeleine and Chris are married. For the sake of CP&S and for the SRF I really don't wish them history repeating itself when it comes to a double engagement again.

So, YAY!!!! for Madeleine and Chris. :twohearts::fireworks::twohearts:

And please, please keep calm, Carl Philip and Sofia. Another few month of waiting won't kill you.

Hmmmm, I would fret and fume, if I were Sofia, I really thought, they would announce first.....
Waiting after Madeleines wedding would mean, announcement in Summer/Autumn 2013, wedding in 2014, unless it will be a Winterwedding.... still quite some time to wait....
BYe Bine

I'ám very happy for them and hope she have with Chris a better time ! congratulations!!

Congratulations! So happy for them!

Hooray, another royal wedding to look forward to!

I like her engagement ring. The diamond looks like a princess-cut or cushion-cut.

Madeleine looks so happy in the official engagement pictures. As for Chris, he seems very reserved. He doesn't smile (as in showing teeth) in any of the pictures.

I congratulate the couple.

I somehow have the feeling that there are shadows over the engagement. May be it's the autumn weather, maybe it's the dark colour of the picture. I have the feeling, that this ends up in divorce in may be ten years.
There is no question, if this wedding takes part - it will, because otherwise Madeleine is blamed forever.
But is it only me who has the feeling that the woman on the picture is NOT Madeleine ???
I mean - sure it's her - but when I look at her I have the feeling the old Madeleine is gone. Look at old pictures and you know what I mean.

I miss the light-heartedness of a swedish summer that she once emanated.

To be honest I am very happy for them. I thought so a while that an engagement would be coming and to be honest I way prefer Chris over Jonas Bergström. He strikes me as very reliable.
When I look at Madeleine now I see a beautiful and intelligent young woman who is quite self-confident and happy. When I look back at Madeleine during the Jonas-years I hardly regonize her. Her true self was never shining through while being with him. Just my opionion but I much prefer her now than 3 years ago.

I notice the black and white photo is by Patrick Demarchelier, nice. She looks so much more comfortable in the photos than Chris O'Neill, which is understandable, of course. But certainly gives me the impression he'll have a difficult time adjusting to royal life, should they choose to live in Sweden. Despite Chris' seeming discomfort though, I like this set of photos than the ones before as it has a sophisticated, mature feel to them.

Everyone is saying that Chris is American, is that because he lives in America or do we actually know he immigrated there.The only reason I ask is because if you listen to the video he has a british accent when he talks.What do we know about him?

His mother is Austrian. One of his sisters is married to an English Lord I think the other one lives also in Austria and is married to an Count. Just one or two weeks ago there was a report in our magazine News about the upcoming engangement between Chris and Madeleine. Apparently NEWS had it right this time ;-)
And how beautiful does Madeleine look in the green dress ? STUNNING! And the earrings are to die for.

Here is my post exactly one week ago in the Press Speculation thread on 10/18 :

According to our (Austrian) magazine News Madeleine and Chris will announce their engagement by the end of November. I wouldn't take this speculation serious though .....

Seems NEWS got it right - for ONCE! :)

He was born in Britain where his late American father was working and holds dual british/american citizenship, according to the CNN and some other less reliable us sources. He does have a british accent.

Madelene seems so happy and so to have grown up so much since meeting him.
I loved the video, we could listen to their voices and see them with each other. He does smile in the video and the green dress looks lovely with her eyes and the tapestry.
The video may seem silly to some of us, but is more appropriate to her age group.

The Swedish women in the RF all have such warm, sonorous voices, it is one of their great charms.
Watching Q Silvia's interview and listening to her lovely voice and understanding very little, transmits that she is very happy about this.
I hope the wedding is asap and mid-june, but of course not the 19th would suit me fine.
Good luck to our newly pregnant posters who are expecting to deliver then! It is a wonderful month to have a baby!

Last edited:
Madeleine looks so happy in the official engagement pictures. As for Chris, he seems very reserved. He doesn't smile (as in showing teeth) in any of the pictures.
Perhaps he´s a person who doesn´t smile with teeth :flowers: I am that kind of a person, who never smile showing teeth :flowers:

Everyone is saying that Chris is American, is that because he lives in America or do we actually know he immigrated there.The only reason I ask is because if you listen to the video he has a british accent when he talks.What do we know about him?
He has citizenhship both in Great Britain and USA :flowers:

I wish Madeleine all the best but I must admit my feelings towards this engagement are not good: they dated for very little time, I wonder if she had the time to understand if this guy is really interested in Madeleine or if he is more interested in the princess of Sweden.
I can't help but thinking that she's trying to forget Jonas by marrying as soon as possible someone with a very good CV.
Nothing rational about my thoughts, it's only a feeling!

Btw YES, that video of the couple WAS very SILLY!

Congratulations to Madeleine and Chris, and I wish them (as Sophie, Countess of Wessex says) "all the love and luck in the world!". They may not have known each other very long, but I hope it works out for them. Madeleine is beautiful, and dare I say it, more beautiful than her older sister...

The video of them is quite cute, particularly Madeleine's "teehee" at the end. :D

Ps. Another Royal wedding to look forward to! I know it will not be as big as Victoria and Daniel's wedding, but I do hope it receives lots of coverage and we have lots of Royals attend. Am I wrong in hoping Royals will attend or will it be private?

I wish them all the best! Is it normal to have a video? I found that very strange... I saw the video but without listening to it and they look very weird...looking at each other:cool:...Only some photos would be nice....

I wish Madeleine all the best but I must admit my feelings towards this engagement are not good: they dated for very little time
This doesn't have to mean anything. I think Felipe and Letizia for example only dated for about a year when they got engaged.
I wonder if she had the time to understand if this guy is really interested in Madeleine or if he is more interested in the princess of Sweden.
I think that's what Jonas tried back then: getting some kind of social status by marrying a Swedish princess... at least that's my impression after the whole Jonas-story....
Chris seems to be part of a wealthy and considered family. I don't think he's marrying Madeleine for her title or social status. At least I really hope so. :flowers:

Congratulations to the couple!
I am surprised to learn that Mr. O'Neill is British. I thought he was American.

Last edited:
I wish Madeleine all the best but I must admit my feelings towards this engagement are not good: they dated for very little time, I wonder if she had the time to understand if this guy is really interested in Madeleine or if he is more interested in the princess of Sweden.
I can't help but thinking that she's trying to forget Jonas by marrying as soon as possible someone with a very good CV.
Nothing rational about my thoughts, it's only a feeling!

Btw YES, that video of the couple WAS very SILLY!

I also feel like Chris is the "rebound" relationship. I don't know that this marriage will last. She was with jonas longer, and described him as her soulmate at one point too.

But, I'm not going to complain about another royal wedding!

I just wish them the best and hope they are very happy.

I didn't realize they were together only about a year and a half, already seems forever to me. I'm generally against getting married that soon, but it's not uncommon in "celebrity" relationships and Madeleine has for a while been more a celebrity than a royal (in my eyes).
That's why I also don't think they'll have a very royal lifestyle or that Chris is only marrying her for being a princess. He's pretty successful I guess and I don't think they will move to Sweden and suddenly attend lots of events or something like that.

Congratulations to the couple! They look very happy in the official engagement photos/video!

Back
Top Bottom