Engagement of Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill: October 25, 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I doubt that Madeline and Chris will show up at any event not required. I really doubt there will be an interview. I think that video was there way of acknowledging that she was a Princess and that they were engaged, but I think they will continue to live privately.

I doubt that Madeline and Chris will show up at any event not required. I really doubt there will be an interview. I think that video was there way of acknowledging that she was a Princess and that they were engaged, but I think they will continue to live privately.
:previous: This. I agree.

I am so happy for the couple. He reminds me a lot of Daniel - reserved, confident and quiet. Madeline has done well!

Chris seems the type who doesn't care for titles. Even though his mother and sisters are socialites, he comes across as not caring for that type of life. A perfect example was at Estelle's baptism.

What will be interesting is the relationship he will have with the King. Chris is alpha-male and won't like to have someone tell him what to do.

I think it's possible that Madeleine and Chris will attend the Nobel Prize ceremony this year, one reason to why Madeleine have been absent the last two years might be that she hasn't wanted to be there on her own, now she has a fiancé to present to the world.

I think it's possible that Madeleine and Chris will attend the Nobel Prize ceremony this year, one reason to why Madeleine have been absent the last two years might be that she hasn't wanted to be there on her own, now she has a fiancé to present to the world.

Carl Philip has been there on his own, it has been sad that Madeleine hasn't wanted to participate to this every important event.

Carl Philip has been there on his own, it has been sad that Madeleine hasn't wanted to participate to this every important event.
The last time Madeleine was at the Nobel Prize ceremony it was with her then-fiancé Jonas, it might have been painful for her to attend the next ceremony on her own as it might have reminded her of her broken engagement.

I hope Madeleine and Chris attend this years Nobel in Stockholn, it would be lovely to see them both there with the whole family.

I didn't take up the time to follow this thread properly, but from what I've read so far it looks like Chris may as well receive a title. Okay. I'll just add that I don't think that he's the sort of man who would accept a title. JMO
On a lighter note, I found Madde's 'tee-hee' absolutely hilarious but I don't find the whole video awful or tasteless. I quite liked it!

NoorMeansLight said:
I didn't take up the time to follow this thread properly, but from what I've read so far it looks like Chris may as well receive a title. Okay. I'll just add that I don't think that he's the sort of man who would accept a title. JMO
On a lighter note, I found Madde's 'tee-hee' absolutely hilarious but I don't find the whole video awful or tasteless. I quite liked it!

I though the video was perfectly nice up until the "tee hee". An actual "tee hee". Good grief!! Anyway, I hope they will be happy together and I can't wait for another royal wedding!!!!

I like the Swedish royal family very much, but I just don't understand why the Swedish court makes these awkward engagement videos; the one from the engagement of Victoria and Daniel wasn't much to write home about either! Maybe they're trying to avoid the 'stupid-questions-session' of a press conference, - some of the questions usually beggars belief - how did NN propose - was he on his knees - did the proposal come as a surprise etc. but I'm not convinced that the Swedish way is better!

As for a possible title for Chris O'Neill: What do the Swedes think - generally speaking? And is a title relevant if the couple won't be living in Sweden?

Viv

I like the Swedish royal family very much, but I just don't understand why the Swedish court makes these awkward engagement videos; the one from the engagement of Victoria and Daniel wasn't much to write home about either! Maybe they're trying to avoid the 'stupid-questions-session' of a press conference, - some of the questions usually beggars belief - how did NN propose - was he on his knees - did the proposal come as a surprise etc. but I'm not convinced that the Swedish way is better!

As for a possible title for Chris O'Neill: What do the Swedes think - generally speaking? And is a title relevant if the couple won't be living in Sweden?

Viv

Well, Victoria and Daniel had a press conference. The swedish royal reporters think that Madeleine didn't want to have a press conference because somebody would have asked something about Jonas.

What a nice surprise...I totally wasn't expecting this royal engagement.

On the other hand, this reminds a bit of Jennifer Aniston, who will always (for some at least) be a part of the JenniferBradAngelina Triangle for ever whether she wants to be or not.

Why is there a constant need to be bring up Jonas? Its obvious that they have both moved on. Can't we let both new couples enjoy their time together.

MTV3 quotes Expressen's article about how the engagement happened and how the wedding is now planned.
Expressen thinks that the wedding will be at the end of May or at the beginning of June, they base this at the royal calendars.
Chris is catholic. According to an expert it is possible that this causes some talks with the priests. Ternert says that Chris being a catholic
isn't a problem. He can't say yet how the things will get done, but they will be resolved.
Last Monday the king and Victoria attended at the Advisory Council on Foreign Affairs at the Royal Palace. According to Expressen at this meeting the king talked with prime minister Reinfeldt and told him that Chris is going to marry Madeleine. He also gave the official letter about the engagement to the prime minister. At the letter the king asks the government to agree with the marriage. The king told to the prime minister that he was planning to announce the engagement on Thursday, after the government had agreed with it. The king said to the prime minister that he should be quiet about the engagement, according to Expressen only the prime minister's secretary was informed. Reinfeldt and the secretary were quiet about the letter until it was given to the judiciary on Wednesday and in the evening the prime minister informed other ministers and leaders.
Madeleinen hääsuunnitelmat Chrisin uskonto puhuttaa - MTV3.fi - Viihde - Uutiset

Congratulations to Princess Madeleine & Chris O'Neill

Well, Victoria and Daniel had a press conference. The swedish royal reporters think that Madeleine didn't want to have a press conference because somebody would have asked something about Jonas.

Sorry LadyFinn, I forgot about the press conference! But I remember that the engagement was announced with a video! Daniel and Victoria were sitting at a table with the King and Queen.

viv

Why is there a constant need to be bring up Jonas? Its obvious that they have both moved on. Can't we let both new couples enjoy their time together.

IMO for various reasons!
Maybe because our memories won't let us! It's only been two years since the break with Jonas, and because it was so spectacular! We didn't see it coming and it took up a lot of media space back then, also in other Nordic countries than Sweden and probably in Germany too! Our hearts went out to Madeleine during her sister's wedding and maybe, just maybe we're a bit worried about what she's got involved with this time! A courting time of two years is short when speaking of Scandinavian royal & commoner alliances, but at 30 time is not on her side for a an extended 'trial run' if they want children! I for one hope for the best and wish them every happiness, but I'm sorry to say that my warning lights are flashing!

viv

Because the media wants news that sell. Maybe some reporter would have wanted to ask why Madeleine thinks that everything is different now. And ask about how Madeleine feels about Jonas and her former friend falling in love.

I hope so much for a summer wedding. June/July/August.

As someone with Irish ancestry, I will be waiting to see just how, or if, Chris is connected to "the O'Neill" of Ireland. I'm sure it won't be long before the genealogists are hard at it!

I'm looking forward to it, MarNoe. !! :flowers:

As someone with Irish ancestry, I will be waiting to see just how, or if, Chris is connected to "the O'Neill" of Ireland. I'm sure it won't be long before the genealogists are hard at it!

I've got Irish ancestry too (my grandmother is Irish), and I'll be very excited if it is the Irish branch. ;)

Last edited:
Many are speaking of Chris as a "mother-in-law-dream", but Madeleine is also a "mother-in-law-dream", isn't she?

Just seen the video and I think Chris is Very handsome indeed with a very lovely voice!! I can see why people are concerned regarding the length of their courtship but I doubt Madeleine would jump into the wrong situation without being sure he's right for her given the Jonas affaire.
I really don't think he is handsome, actually her prevous finace I thought was very handsome and beautiful eyes, but it is all in the eye of the beholder! hope she will be happy with him that's what is more mportant!:flowers:

ashelen said:
I really don't think he is handsome, actually her prevous finace I thought was very handsome and beautiful eyes, but it is all in the eye of the beholder! hope she will be happy with him that's what is more mportant!:flowers:

And the handsome fiance screwed her over. Chris is not very good looking, but maybe he has a great heart and as I get older I'm starting to realize a mans integrity, his heart, his ambition are all super important. So maybe Chris makes up for his lack of good looks in other areas...at least I hope:)

Women, parties - and fast transactions
So Chris O'Neill lived jet-set life before Madde
Kvinnor, fester – & snabba affärer Nyheter Aftonbladet

I wouldn't worry about this; 37-year olds usually have a track record, Madeleine has a track record too:)!!
What's a bit more worrying IMHO is that both seem to have a natural liking to the glamorous, jet setty type of life; Chris has enjoyed NYC high society life and 'Madde' used to be dubbed the "Stureplan-princess" after an area in Stockholm with expensive restaurants, bars and clubs. They also share a liking of the fast tracks in the Alps, etcetera, you complete the list! Are they willing to curb this jet set environment with all its temptations if the SRF expect them to lead a -sort of - royal existence?

IMO the SRF still needs the younger royals like Madeleine and Carl Philip to to represent the 'firm' to some extend. There's not enough of them to write Madeleine off and let her lead her own life.

Chris and Madeleine are rooted in social strata where the virtues of a say middle class marriage are not strictly necessary for practical, social or economical ends! If they split new contenders will be happy to queue up to fill the vacancy.
Let's hope that Chris and Madde are indeed 'soul mates' !

Oh, by the way: IMO Chris is good looking:flowers:!

Viv

I found out on Wikipedia that there's a Baron O' Neill and an Earl O' Neill in the Irish peerage, I'm looking forward into seeing if Chris is related to any of those...

It's always interesting when someone does a family tree or history what comes up. It's very interesting how many Americans especially those in the upper crust are related to nobility and royalty. If Chris is related to Baron O'Neill or Earl O'Neill (I would guess he's distantly related to them if he is), well it's interesting).

Many royals and those of nobility have jet-set lifestyles, some of course more than others. Until recent times, no one criticized them for this. I don't see anything wrong with it or why some people are critical of it, unless they overdo it. There is a balance between royal duty and excessive jet-set lifestyle.

I found out on Wikipedia that there's a Baron O' Neill and an Earl O' Neill in the Irish peerage, I'm looking forward into seeing if Chris is related to any of those...

If so, his mother surely would have made sure anyone knows about that relation...:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom