The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Courtier

I wish Madeleine all the best but I must admit my feelings towards this engagement are not good: they dated for very little time, I wonder if she had the time to understand if this guy is really interested in Madeleine or if he is more interested in the princess of Sweden.
I can't help but thinking that she's trying to forget Jonas by marrying as soon as possible someone with a very good CV.
Nothing rational about my thoughts, it's only a feeling!

Btw YES, that video of the couple WAS very SILLY!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Congratulations to Madeleine and Chris, and I wish them (as Sophie, Countess of Wessex says) "all the love and luck in the world!". They may not have known each other very long, but I hope it works out for them. Madeleine is beautiful, and dare I say it, more beautiful than her older sister...

The video of them is quite cute, particularly Madeleine's "teehee" at the end.

Ps. Another Royal wedding to look forward to! I know it will not be as big as Victoria and Daniel's wedding, but I do hope it receives lots of coverage and we have lots of Royals attend. Am I wrong in hoping Royals will attend or will it be private?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Heir Apparent

I wish them all the best! Is it normal to have a video? I found that very strange... I saw the video but without listening to it and they look very weird...looking at each other...Only some photos would be nice....
Old 10-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amedea View Post
I wish Madeleine all the best but I must admit my feelings towards this engagement are not good: they dated for very little time
This doesn't have to mean anything. I think Felipe and Letizia for example only dated for about a year when they got engaged.
Quote:
I wonder if she had the time to understand if this guy is really interested in Madeleine or if he is more interested in the princess of Sweden.
I think that's what Jonas tried back then: getting some kind of social status by marrying a Swedish princess... at least that's my impression after the whole Jonas-story....
Chris seems to be part of a wealthy and considered family. I don't think he's marrying Madeleine for her title or social status. At least I really hope so.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 AM
Courtier

Here is a short biography of Chris from the Swedish Court. http://www.kungahuset.se/download/18...+Biography.pdf
Old 10-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Congratulations to the couple!
I am surprised to learn that Mr. O'Neill is British. I thought he was American.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by amedea View Post
I wish Madeleine all the best but I must admit my feelings towards this engagement are not good: they dated for very little time, I wonder if she had the time to understand if this guy is really interested in Madeleine or if he is more interested in the princess of Sweden.
I can't help but thinking that she's trying to forget Jonas by marrying as soon as possible someone with a very good CV.
Nothing rational about my thoughts, it's only a feeling!

Btw YES, that video of the couple WAS very SILLY!
I also feel like Chris is the "rebound" relationship. I don't know that this marriage will last. She was with jonas longer, and described him as her soulmate at one point too.

But, I'm not going to complain about another royal wedding!
Old 10-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Majesty

I just wish them the best and hope they are very happy.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Courtier

I didn't realize they were together only about a year and a half, already seems forever to me. I'm generally against getting married that soon, but it's not uncommon in "celebrity" relationships and Madeleine has for a while been more a celebrity than a royal (in my eyes).
That's why I also don't think they'll have a very royal lifestyle or that Chris is only marrying her for being a princess. He's pretty successful I guess and I don't think they will move to Sweden and suddenly attend lots of events or something like that.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Gentry

Congratulations to the couple! They look very happy in the official engagement photos/video!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Congratulations to the couple! Wishing them a long and happy life together.
Looks like recent reports of "imminent engagement" were accurate after all.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Gentry

Have just heard the news and I am very happy for them. Many congratulations!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Serene Highness

Congrats

Congratulations to the couple! Madeleine is a real cutie

I don't know much about the SRF, is she an 'active' member and on what scale can we expect the celebrations? More a private affair or state wedding?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
I wonder what title Christopher will get, if any, as he probably won't give up his American citizenship? And I'm curious if he takes on the Bernadotte name like Daniel did?
If he doesn't become a Prince would he at least be a Duke? Like Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Courtier

I'm so happy about them!! I wish them all the best
Old 10-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Nobility

I guess for a wedding on Saturday 15:th June. June is a very common wedding-month in the SRF and there is also a bit of symbolism in that date as it was the wedding date for Madeleines godmother and aunt Princess Christina Mrs Magnuson.

I might be wrong but i think they will choose to have the wedding in the Royal Palace Church and not the Cathedral .
Old 10-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
Congratulations to the couple! Madeleine is a real cutie

I don't know much about the SRF, is she an 'active' member and on what scale can we expect the celebrations? More a private affair or state wedding?
Madeleine used to be an active working member of the Royal Family until she moved to New York (after she called off her previous engagement). After moving to New York, she started working for the World Childhood Foundation - an organization hr mother c-founded. She does perform duties in Sweden as well, but very rarely.

Her wedding will most definitely be a smaller affair than Victoria's, but I still expect it to be a glittering and probably semi-state event.
Madeleine may be 4th in the line of succession, but she's still the Monarch's daughter.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby86

If he doesn't become a Prince would he at least be a Duke? Like Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge?
He'll probably getting a dukedom. Catherine never got made a Duchess she takes her style from her husband who was made a Duke upon marriage.

Chris still looks like a 50 year old sugar daddy in his engagement picture, and I am in no way saying that's what he actually is. I have always maintained he looks older than he is.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby86 View Post
Kate is still a Princess - Princess William. She just used her husband's highest available title, which is the Duke of Cambridge. If William hadn't been granted a peerage title, then Kate would have been known as Princess William, just as the wife of Prince Michael of Kent is known as Princess Michael.

When Madeleine was engaged to Jonas, it was announced that he would be referred to as Duke of Halsingland and Gastrikland (male version of Madeleine's titles). I'd image the same will apply to Chris. Whether he is created a Prince of Sweden in his own right (like Daniel was) remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if he were.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Serene Highness

A man takes his wife's style in Sweden?? Good grief!

Tags
chris o'neill, engagement, princess madeleine