The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Sweden > Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
It seems every time a royal becomes engaged to a non-royal/non-aristocrat a lot of posters assume the worst about the non-royal and their family. They are called golddiggers, social climbers etc. No one ever seems to question the motives of the royal part of the couple, or accept that the royal may be quite adept at recognizing dubious motives of people they meet or simply that they have actually met someone they feel they could make a life with. It suggests to me that some posters might be bigger snobs than the royals themselves could be.
Just to answer for myself : this is the first time I have had some, but slight doubts. And this is because I met far too many socialite ladies from the Munich-Salzburg-KitzbŁhel-Vienna-reagion in my professional life... So for me it was a shock to see Chris coming from that corner (though so far I have heard "through the grapevine" that his sister is quite happily married - didn't make the connection before.)

But I have a strong belief in HM, Victoria and Daniel to be able to suss anything out in order to protect Madeleine, so the news of an engagement is good news indeed!

Old 10-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breffney View Post
Madeleine O'Neil has a nice ring to it

Old 10-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Serene Highness

And yes Kataryn, you are right. I would think the family would sense or maybe know as time goes on whether this man is right for her. I dont think they would allow anything bad to happen to her.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
And yes Kataryn, you are right. I would think the family would sense or maybe know as time goes on whether this man is right for her. I dont think they would allow anything bad to happen to her.
But she was hurt the last time by Jonas, who according to the family was a dream son-in-law...
Old 10-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
But she was hurt the last time by Jonas, who according to the family was a dream son-in-law...
One more reason to check the new guy out this time. With Jonas Madeleine just grew into her relationship and after some years it got serious - at a time when noone thought about "ultimate reasons" anymore, which surely wasn't there at all. Just a teenie or twen-love which had outlived their expirement date.

This time it is something else completely: princess and suitor. Believe me, they checked the background. That should be okay. And the emotional score: let's hope it's okay!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Well, yes I suppose you're right about that, he did seem to be every princesses dream at the time! I wonder whether the fact that the relationship had been going on for so long, people became complacent and assumed that he would be alright. I'm quite sure, though, that Chris will turn out to be fine even if the relationship us only two years old.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

These people are not actors, therefore, coming across in video can seem really weird. After a while, years, many of the royals come across, some never do.

I agree that after the public breakup, any family would be pretty protective and prefer to believe that's what happened
Also, Chris is pretty emphatic about knowing M was for him early on. For a man or woman in an already high position, like Diana, or recent bride Stephanie, marrying into this kind of dutiful, high profile family would be a negative. Though, of course he is not marrying the heir.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Courtier

Madeline is only fourth in line to the throne and will slip down further if Victoria has more children or CP has a family. She will fade further and further from the center of royal attention. I have the feeling that is what she wants. She will show up only where she has to and the rest of the time will live a private life. I believe the video was her way of saying as little as possible about herself while telling the world that she was engaged. I doubt that we will hear a great deal from her in the future.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Serene Highness

Congrats to princess Madeline hopefully this love will last
Old 10-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Jonas may have been an ideal son-in-law to the king, fitting perfectly among his old friends from his bachelor days, but that doesn't mean that he was going to be a good husband to Madeleine. It's possible that one reason for Madeleine being with Jonas for such a long time was because the king liked him as a son-in-law and not because she was head over heels in love with him in the end.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Its also possible that both Jonas and Madeleine were in love with each other. Just because he was unfaithful to her doesn't mean he didnt love her, it just means he had the opportunity to have sex with another woman. It is possible that had they been an ordinary couple, with no press attention, they could have got past the infidelity and had a life together.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Nobility

Dearest Madeleine, I somehow love who you are and wish your majesty a great life and marriage. I have faiyth you can do as your willing, and from your knowingness always be happy giving it back to us as you see it. And that's all we ask of you. Good luck and best wishes on your wedding day... Chris must be the luckiest guy. I know you are. I won't spoil a secret. Greetings, tidings, life and love. Party on.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Nobility

I hope this is a good match and that she may truly find hapiness. I watched the video yesterday and again today . . . and after reading through the comments in this thread I have the same initial feeling . . . it still does not convey a sense of joy and much less spontaneity on either one. I wonder how much input the royal family was able to contribute to the making of this announcement. It just did not have any sparkle at all.

The fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, . . . .
Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Aristocracy

Such happy news. I wish Madeleine and Chris all the best!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I wish them well and hope it doesnt end in tears. Madeleine looks very pretty. Chris comes across as a macho type of guy, at least knowing quite well what he wants. I cant see him moving to Sweden or even showing up at events that are not must-attend.
I hope they have the strength to lead a life of their own. Good luck!

Just to add: The little video is one of the silliest things a royal court has provided, ever!!!
Sadly, I agree on all counts... except that I think that Madeleine looked even prettier as a blonde. The video seemed to me like a publicity ad for an upcoming TV series. Not good.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I'm still a little thrown by the engagement interview. It felt very off. I wish they'd sat for a real interview instead of doing the video- I think they would have come off much more naturally that way.
I agree with you entirely (yet again), Hermione!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:28 AM
Majesty

I wonder when the royal couple will make their first official appearence?
Old 10-27-2012, 01:15 AM
Aristocracy

Congrats to the Couple. Glad they will live in the states for the time being. I wonder if the Wedding will be in the states as well.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:42 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeOfAster View Post
Congrats to the Couple. Glad they will live in the states for the time being. I wonder if the Wedding will be in the states as well.
It won't be. They announced that the wedding would be in Sweden.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Chris with his mother Eva and half sisters Tatjana and Natascha.
http://bilder.bild.de/fotos-skaliert...=840.bild.jpeg

Tags
chris o'neill, engagement, princess madeleine