Christening of Princess Leonore: June 8, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice Christening but I'm quite surprised it was so grand and so public. I thought, as Leonore is unlikely to be a major part of the official, working Royal Family that her christening would be an important but private family event.

But then again, she is Madeleine's daughter so I doubt she'll be allowed to do anything low key.

I guess Christopher had missed his father today. He would have been very pleased to attend the christening of his granddaughter.

Archbishop Anders Wejryd told to Expressen about the lunch: The Queen pointed her words to them specifically on the grounds that it was their wedding anniversary today. It was exactly one year since their marriage.
The king greeted the little princess welcome in the family:
- He spoke particularly about the joy of welcoming the little baby and that she was now really there, said Wejryd.
Count Ernst Abensperg und Traun, married to Chris's half-sister Natascha, chose to speak about what it means to be baptized.
- He spoke very nicely about the meaning of baptism and to belong to the great international world of God, said Wejryd.
Silvias hyllning till Madeleine och Chris Nyheter Expressen

Gallery
Bautizo de Leonor de Suecia

Last edited:
Why would anyone be "poor" to sit next to such a lovely lady ? She looks very nice BTW.

I was just thinking that. No man would think himself unlucky to sit near her. She is stunning.

I almost forgot! Happy first anniversary to Madeleine and Chris!

Last edited:
It was a lovely christening. I love the way the three Swedish royal women always coordinate their dresses - choosing lace was inspired.

As always Victoria did a wonderful job handling a very well-behaved Estelle.

Did anyone else see - it was very quick - Estelle put her finger up to her lips to shush someone across the aisle. Very cute. It was before the ceremony began.

Lovely family.

This is a wonderful picture of Christopher, Madeleine and Leonore:

https://twitter.com/Royaleurope/status/475729708760723456/photo/1

Christopher is so proud about his wife and his daughter (His eyes seems saying: "Madeleine, you did a wonderful job giving me this little treasure Leonore.")

Madeleine is searching the ideal position to protect her daughter from sunshine.

Thank you Lady Finn:flowers: for all the wonderful pictures. The pictures of when Victoria was the same age as her daughter is now, AMAZING, they look like twin sisters. PE is so cute and bubbly and such a very happy little girl.
So agree with you on SH.........oh well he has to live with her and so do the people of Sweden. Not very ladylike at all!

Chris went at 20.00 to his favourite restaurant Sturehof with his mother, sisters Natascha and Tatjana and their husbands and Alice Bamford. More guests are waited to arrive during the evening. Victoria arrived to Drottningholm Palace at about 21.00, Carl Philip and Sofia arrived also there just before Victoria.
Familjerna firar på olika håll efter dopet Nyheter Expressen

Här firar Chris Leonores dop

That's kind of weird Chris and his family at one place, and Madeleine family at another party,but no mention we're Madeleine is, because she's not with Chris!! Nice spending time with each on there Anniversary!

I believe grandchildren of Swedish monarchs in the line of succession have traditionally been HRHs and royal dukes. King Carl XVI Gustaf is just following precedent then. The only difference now is that, since 1980, women have been also in the line of succession, which wasn't the case before.

Exactly! The King is following the government's wishes in treating his daughter the same way he would a son. Carl Philip's name and title will stay the same when he gets married, so Madeleine's do as well. Carl Philip's children will be HRH Prince(ss) and get the Seraphim, so Madeleine's children do as well.

Madeleine isn't spoiled. She and her daughter are being treated just as the Swedish government intended the Sovereign's female descendants to be when they changed the law.

Why do you say "semi-royal couple" ? Isn't Madeleine a daughter of the king, a princess of Sweden (hence HRH), and 4th in line to the throne ?

Indeed she is, but Chris isn't, and they have both made it clear that they don't think of themselves as a Royal couple...in so many ways

Some other musings:

-Estelle is one of the most enchanting children-Royal or otherwise-that I have ever seen. She is by far the best dressed of all the Royal little ones, imo. Is the dress she wore today the exact same dress Victoria wore in 1980? If so, they did a marvelous job preserving it...it's over 30 years old!

-Leonore is almost too gorgeous for words. She is perfect. I like the cradle she was placed in much better than the one that was used for Estelle, even though it's "only" from 1826. The cradle they used for Estelle looked as if it was about to fall apart, imo.

-Madeleine's hair is unbelievable. She could do hair commercials if she wanted to!

-I love the way the pastel floral arrangement matched the ladies dresses!

Last edited:
Leonore is a wonderful baby How lovely so much of Chris family could come

Just wanted to thank one and all for the great pictures and links from today. I had an invasion of buzzing blood suckers, mosquitos not vampires, go after me all last night. So much for sleep and so much for seeing this live as I intended. Grrr!!

Loved Estelle as usual. Victoria and Daniel really are doing such an excellent job of raising this young lady.

Other than that thing she had on her head, I loved Madeleine's dress today and didn't Chris look proud of his girls!?! Also, finally a picture of Leonore w/her eyes open!! Every single one I've seen of her, she's been sleeping.

Looks like it was a very happy day full of joy.

Oh...And a Happy First Wedding Anniversary to the new Mommy and Daddy!! :)

Totally agree. Also quite like the outfit to Louise's right. Added: bit of a shame about the stocking as per zarat.

Last edited:
Chris went at 20.00 to his favourite restaurant Sturehof with his mother, sisters Natascha and Tatjana and their husbands and Alice Bamford. More guests are waited to arrive during the evening. Victoria arrived to Drottningholm Palace at about 21.00, Carl Philip and Sofia arrived also there just before Victoria.
Familjerna firar på olika håll efter dopet Nyheter Expressen

Här firar Chris Leonores dop

For a minute I thought "who is this woman that Chris is hugging so dearly?" But it is one of his cousins. Sweet to see that Chris is so close to his family.

That's kind of weird Chris and his family at one place, and Madeleine family at another party,but no mention we're Madeleine is, because she's not with Chris!! Nice spending time with each on there Anniversary!

I would agree with that......

Unless Madeleine gave her blessing since Chris can't spend that much time with his family, but still I find it a bit weird.

My belated review of the Christening, for what it's worth ;-)

I loved that the ceremony was intimate and seemed to be in a smaller setting. Good choice to not invite foreign royals, then I guess it is hard to restrict and limit the guestlist to only those that M&C are close with.

I loved the ladies' dresses, especially Eva O'Neill's.
Madde's, Alice's and Sofia's dresses were too short. For Madde and Sofia, it was forgivable as they sat with a baby on the lap/ not front row.
I would have liked it better if Chris had worn a tie to match his wife's outfit. Madde needs to loose some weight around the waist and Chris needs to loose weight overall, his vest seemed too tight and he looked chubby to me. Maybe Daniel can arrange a Personal Trainer for them while they are in Sweden?

What I did notice is that M&C were not at all affectionate towards each other. This was the baptism of their love product and i did not see them hold hands, look at each other, kiss hands, etc. Maybe they feel a bit awkard doing this in public. When they are pictured privately, they seem more cuddly.

For a minute I thought "who is this woman that Chris is hugging so dearly?" But it is one of his cousins. Sweet to see that Chris is so close to his family.

I think that it is Anoushka - daughter of hie sister Tatjana.

My belated review of the Christening, for what it's worth ;-)

I loved that the ceremony was intimate and seemed to be in a smaller setting. Good choice to not invite foreign royals, then I guess it is hard to restrict and limit the guestlist to only those that M&C are close with.

I loved the ladies' dresses, especially Eva O'Neill's.
Madde's, Alice's and Sofia's dresses were too short. For Madde and Sofia, it was forgivable as they sat with a baby on the lap/ not front row.
I would have liked it better if Chris had worn a tie to match his wife's outfit. Madde needs to loose some weight around the waist and Chris needs to loose weight overall, his vest seemed too tight and he looked chubby to me. Maybe Daniel can arrange a Personal Trainer for them while they are in Sweden?

What I did notice is that M&C were not at all affectionate towards each other. This was the baptism of their love product and i did not see them hold hands, look at each other, kiss hands, etc. Maybe they feel a bit awkard doing this in public. When they are pictured privately, they seem more cuddly.

She just gave birth 3 month ago. She doesn't need to look perfectly around the waist and comments like this shouldn't be made. A baby belly comes nine month and goes nine month. She still has a lot of time to get back in shape. And even if she holds a few extra pounds back, who cares?

To me 3 month after giving birth she looks wonderful, even though there are still baby pounds on her body. I also like her fuller face very much. She looks happy, healthy and like a very proud new mommy.

Last edited:
I agree with the above post. For giving birth only back in February, I think she looks wonderful, and her figure looks just fine. Even if she is loosing the baby weight, she does not have to do it quickly, some people just like to take their time. But at the moment, I think she looks great :)

Anyway, off that subject, I absolutely love the official christening photos, they are absolutely lovely. :)

in the guestlist it said Mr Cedric Notz and Fru Andrea Engsäll
are they a couple where do they live?

they seem to be a item. he lives in schweiz i am guessing she in sweden.
from svenk dam

Andrea is a friend to crown princess victoria and become close to madeleine as well

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom