Christening of Princess Leonore: June 8, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the criterion to define who is a "prince or princess of Sweden" ? In the Netherlands for example, the law ordinarily restricts the title of "prince/princess of the Netherlands" (with the accompanying H.R.H. style) to:

1. A former monarch upon abdication.
  2. The heir apparent to the throne.
  3. Legitimate children of the monarch.
  4. Legitimate children of the heir apparent.
  5. The consorts of the monarch and of the heir apparent.
Other grandchildren of the monarch who are not born to the heir apparent may by law get other titles (e.g. "prince of Orange-Nassau" with a lower HH style), but, since Queen Beatrix's accession, they have been given non-royal titles of nobility instead (e.g. "count/countess of Orange-Nassau" for the children of prince Constantijn and prince Friso).

In Sweden, on the other hand, it appears that the king decides on his own who should be an H.R.H or not. That is fine as long as the number of people in the line of succession is small (as it is the case now), but, in the future, as the number of direct descendants of King Carl XVI Gustaf grows, I imagine the Swedish Parliament will have to pass specific legislation limiting membership of the royal house or, otherwise, there will be an explosion in the number of "princes/princesses of Sweden".

I wonder what the Swedish citizens on this group think about this issue.

By Swedish law, any descendents of the current king, who are Lutheran, who marry with permission of the state, and who do not come to the throne of another country.

The Dutch limit membership to the royal family in the same way, children and grandchildren of the sovereign. In fact it limits to within three, so if Bea had become a great-grandmother while still on the throne, her great-grandchildren would have been in the royal house. Both her younger son's children were entitled to be Prince/Princess. Friso's lost his place in succession because of his marriage. Constantijn's children were granted lesser titles, by royal act, not by succession laws. His children were in line for the throne until his brother became king, and now they are not.

I don't see the need for them to limit membership. There is something like 500 people in line for the British throne. It isn't like they get money from the state and special priviledges. Sweden is not going to have to pay for any of these children. The king is the only one who gets tax money, he pays out of his money for his kids and grandkids.

The king decides on titles. It was the king who announced Leonore would be a HRH Princess and Duchess. While she would have been in line for the throne either way, her titles were for her grandfather to decide.

Allocation of seats in the photo position at Princess Leonore's christening
There will be one photo and media position at Princess Leonore's christening on June 8, 2014. The position will be located outside Drottningholm Palace Chapel.
The following media outlets have been allocated a seat/seats in the photo and media position outside Drottningholm Palace Chapel. The number in brackets ( ) states how many seats each media outlet has been allocated.
Allocation of seats*in the photo position at Princess Leonore's christening - Sveriges Kungahus

In Sweden, on the other hand, it appears that the king decides on his own who should be an H.R.H or not. That is fine as long as the number of people in the line of succession is small (as it is the case now), but, in the future, as the number of direct descendants of King Carl XVI Gustaf grows, I imagine the Swedish Parliament will have to pass specific legislation limiting membership of the royal house or, otherwise, there will be an explosion in the number of "princes/princesses of Sweden".

I wonder what the Swedish citizens on this group think about this issue.
By the time that Estelle and Leonore (and their eventual siblings and cousins) are old enough to marry and have children it's most likely Victoria who is monarch and will have the final say in who will get the title prince/ss of Sweden, and probably it will only be the grandchildren of the monarch who will get any titles. Of course there is always the possibility that someone will marry and have children in their late teens/early twenties but most likely they will wait until they are in their thirties as their mothers did before they tie the knot.

I think it very sweet that the couple decided to christen their first child on their first wedding anniversary! I'm looking forward to it! :flowers:

I am also looking forward to the christening and I hope that we are also able to watch it outside Sweden via internet.

According to Expressen, some guests have had a little problem with the invitation to the christening: they are also invited to Anna Maria Corazza Bildt's (a Member of the European Parliament, the wife of the Minister for Foreign Affairs Carl Bildt) 50th anniversary party at her family's "Relais Antico Borgo Tabiano Castello" castle in Italy. Mrs Bildt had her birthday already last year but she postponed her party due to the king's 40th Jubilee. Now she had sent the invitations early before knowing about the christening. Prime minister Fredrik Reinfeldt must attend at the christening but since Leonore isn't the future queen of Sweden like Estelle, people can more easily choose to leave out from the christening and go to the birthday party instead.
Festkrocken får dem att tävla om gästerna Nyheter Expressen
Translation

Only three of the party leaders of Sweden attend at the christening.
Politikerna nobbar Leonores dop Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
The Court has published new details about the christening :
. The King, Queen, Princess Madeleine, Princess Leonore, Christopher O'Neill and Eva O'Neill will receive guests in the Ehrenstralsalongen hall at Drottnigholm Palace
http://www.kungahuset.se/...b02114527aa7e2620a72.html <- a picture of it

. Princess Leonore will be put in King Karl XV's cradle, the same cradle used at Princess Madeleine's baptism
http://www.kungahuset.se/...b02114527aa7e26208e8.html
http://www.kungahuset.se/....65c0ca0a145277e59071de74

.After the Christening the royal guests will pass from outside to go to the Palace instead of using the door which connects the church and the palace, and they will/might greet the people who will have gathered. The court has published a photo showing the areas which will be accessible to the public
http://www.kungahuset.se/...b02114527aa7e262091d.html

Her monogram and coat of arms will probably be published on the day of the christening like they did 2 years ago with princess Estelle's monogram and coat of arms

Can we watch the christening on tv?

THanks for the link to wath the Christening ceremony.

But, what time exactly ??

Yes, I think Estelle will make an appearance at the christening.

I find it interesting that Madeleine wants Leonore to be christened in Drottningholm and not the cathedral in Stockholm, which was where Estelle was christened, IIRC. (Please correct me if I'm incorrect.) I hope the event won't be too private as I'd love to see some photos.

I Wonder whether the choice of Drottningholm was not made on the basis of saving costs considérations: no/less police involvement or special arrangements needed etc than in the center of Stockholm. Aim to avoid criticism....

I Wonder whether the choice of Drottningholm was not made on the basis of saving costs considérations: no/less police involvement or special arrangements needed etc than in the center of Stockholm. Aim to avoid criticism....

Since there will not be any foreign royals and heads of state as guests, the police/security arrangements are quite small and the christening could have been easily arranged at the Royal Chapel.

Will the crib used in Estelle's baptism, be used in Lenore baptism?

Will the crib used in Estelle's baptism, be used in Lenore baptism?

No. Estelle slept at Karl XI's cradle which was used at Carl Philip's christening. It is the oldest cradle of the royal family and meant for princes only. But since Estelle is the future regent, it was used for her.
http://hd.se/multimedia/dynamic/00681/syc1b617_681745l.jpg
Karl XI:s vagga av förgyllt och snidat trä - Livrustkammaren
For Leonore they use Karl XV's cradle which was used for Madeleine
Karl XV:s vagga - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

The christening font is also different
Estelle's
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Leonore's
Dopfunt - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Last edited:
Estelle though is the first christening since the change in succession laws. At the time of CP's baptism, only princes were eligible to inherit the throne. It would be interesting to see Leonore use the crib as well, considering the change in laws, Leonore is an heiress to the throne as well.

Christening of Princess Leonore; June 8, 2014

Estelle though is the first christening since the change in succession laws. At the time of CP's baptism, only princes were eligible to inherit the throne.

Wasn't the law changed in 1979, so actually Madeleine herself was the first female to be baptised as a heiress to the throne?

Wasn't the law changed in 1979, so actually Madeleine herself was the first female to be baptised as a heiress to the throne?

It came in force 01.01.1980 so yes madeleine was born in line of succession but as she ghad 2 older siblings she was not the heiress unlike Estelle who is the oldest child of the Crown Princess.

Not correct. Princesses could inherit the throne but their brother(s) would come first in the line of succession.

No, Sweden introduced Salic law in 1810, which limited inheritance to the throne to males. It wasn't until the introduction of equal primogeniture in 1979, that returned females to the line of inheritance.

No, Sweden introduced Salic law in 1810, which limited inheritance to the throne to males. It wasn't until the introduction of equal primogeniture in 1979, that returned females to the line of inheritance.

Oh ok. I know that the succession act was amended several times before 1979 as well so I assumed it had previously included women.

The Rikstag page says this:

Until the 1970s male descendents always had precedence to the throne. A woman could only become Queen if there were no male alternatives.

http://www.riksdagen.se/en/How-the-Riksdag-works/Democracy/The-Constitution/The-Act-of-Succession/

Last edited:
Women had become reigning queens prior to 1810, but the act of succession ratified that year expressly banned female succession.

"§3. Members of the royal house of the female sex, and their descendants, even those who are of the male sex, have no right to the crown and rulership of Sweden."

Successionsordningen som den s?g ut ?r 1921

The court refuses to tell how much the christening costs. It will be totally paid from the apanage. The economy director of the court Jan Lindman says that they don't reveal the costs of a single event. Eva Sonidsson from the Social Democratic party isn't satisfied with the information the court gives about the apanage.
Hovet vägrar avslöja prislappen på dopet – som skattebetalarna får betala Kungligt Nyheter Aftonbladet

Chris' mother Eva O'Neill and sister Natascha Abensperg und Traun with family have arrived to Stockholm and Grand Hotel.
Eva O'Neill på plats i Sverige för dopet Nyheter Expressen
Chris familj är i stan Nyheter Aftonbladet

Did they release the cost for Estelle? Can't imagine it would be that far off

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Royals Community mobile app

Did they release the cost for Estelle? Can't imagine it would be that far off

Sent from my GT-N7105 using The Royals Community mobile app

Nobody was interested about that because Estelle is the child of the crown princess, and the future queen. Christening of Madeleine's child is another thing. But the king has decided that it is a state occasion and everything is paid from the apanage.

There has been a rehearsal today at the Drottningholm Chapel for the christening.
Expressen:
Louise Gottlieb is there, and Chris' sister Natascha. They left the hotel after 15.00 to go to Drottningholm. The guests sang psalm "Tryggare kan ingen vara" (that was also at Estelle's christening). Chris read a prayer in english. The priest told about what is happening tomorrow when the archbishop speaks. Madeleine read gospel about Jesus and children.
The most interesting thing is that at the photos in the article is also Patrick Sommerlath.
Gudföräldrarna är på plats vid Slottskyrkan Nyheter Expressen

Aftonbladet
Ernst von Abensperg und Traun arrived with Louise Gottlieb. Aftonbladet thinks that this could mean that they both are godparents. Also psalm ""En vänlig grönskas rika dräkt" was sung at the rehearsal.
In Aftonbladet's photos is also Patrick Sommerlath.
Genrepet inför dopet har börjat Nyheter Aftonbladet

Last edited:
The Swedish people have the right to be informed about the cost, of course.

Very kind of Victoria to help her sister at the rehearsals!

Back
Top Bottom