The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-09-2014, 04:28 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Yes, I think Estelle will make an appearance at the christening. Judging by the recent photos of her and Leonore together, she seems to enjoy being with her little cousin. I would be surprised if she didn't attend.

I find it interesting that Madeleine wants Leonore to be christened in Drottningholm and not the cathedral in Stockholm, which was where Estelle was christened, IIRC. (Please correct me if I'm incorrect.) I hope the event won't be too private as I'd love to see some photos.
I too think that Princess Estelle will be present for the baptism. Actually Princess Estelle was baptized in the church of the royal palace of Stockholm where Madeleine and Chris were married

Old 05-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Because of Princess Leonore's christening at the Royal Chapel in Drottningholm on 8 June, the Drottningholm Palace is temporarily closed from June 4 to 10 (with reservation even for 2-3 June) because of the preparations and official representation.
Information om besöksmålet Drottningholm i samband med H.K.H. Prinsessan Leonores dop 8 juni - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Old 05-13-2014, 06:02 AM
Nobility

New info about the christening
The event including the Kings reception will be broadcasted by SVT and the photos will be taken by TT News agency
https://translate.googleusercontent....l-fFwy94ozx2gQ
The court has also published the programme for the day
https://translate.googleusercontent....YLhUU-bxHm6vcg
Old 05-14-2014, 06:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

The director of the court press department, Margareta Thorgren, told to Aftonbladet, that no members of the foreign royal families have been invited to the christening. This is a smaller and more family christening than princess Estelle's. Royal expert Roger Lundgren says this shows that Madeleine goes her own way and of course Madeleine doesn't have much connections with the other royal families like Victoria has. And because Leonore isn't the daughter of the future queen, it isn't so odd that she doesn't get royal godparents of foreign royals.
Inga blåblodiga bjudna till dopet | Nyheter | Aftonbladet
Old 05-14-2014, 07:04 AM
Gentry

So no foreign royals? Well, then I must admit that I find 6 godparents to be a little bit over the top....

Is a godparent only meant to be symbolic, or would they expect all 6 godparents to play a role in the little girl's life?

Why not take 4, 1 friend and 1 family member each???
Old 05-15-2014, 07:27 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

it just fits the 'specialty' of madeleine. she prefers to be royal when it suits/benefits her (or her daughter), the baptism is strange as there are more godparents than estelle but no other royals invited, its supposed to be 'private' in her home palace chapel, yet it is being televised.
imo because madeleine is the youngest, she could always do as she pleases and we can still see this today. i understand why she is being critizised in sweden so harshly, there is no red line in her life/choices that define her as working royal or not a working royal.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:45 PM
Heir Apparent

this article talks about the christening of leonore, although some of the info seems rather strange. they confirm that leonore will have 6 godmothers and 6 godfathers (which would be rather unsual) and that chris wants the godparents to be catholics, as he is a practicant catholic. they also say that letizia had been asked to be godmother, but refused it based on the fact that she's actually agnostic, even though officially she attends any catholic events.

Letizia, la madrina que pudo ser - Noticias de Casas Reales
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 05-16-2014, 12:46 PM
Royal Highness

I think it's all rubbish! And what connections do Madde and Chris have with Leti? I think the press wants to denigrate her as always
Old 05-16-2014, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I wouldn't believe the article for one second. There seems to be no warm friendship between Princesses Letizia and Madeleine, and I don't think they see each other a lot, apart from at a large royal gathering perhaps.The Spanish press are known to attack Letizia, so I think they used Leonore's christening as an opportunity to "bash" her. Also, when an article says that Leonore will have six godmothers and six godfathers when there's been confirmation of six godparents altogether, you know it's unreliable!

Personally I think that Leonore will get another Scandinavian royal, some of Madeleine's friends, one of Chris's sisters or maybe another Bernadotte as godparents.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 05-17-2014, 01:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I wouldn't believe the article for one second. There seems to be no warm friendship between Princesses Letizia and Madeleine, and I don't think they see each other a lot, apart from at a large royal gathering perhaps.The Spanish press are known to attack Letizia, so I think they used Leonore's christening as an opportunity to "bash" her. Also, when an article says that Leonore will have six godmothers and six godfathers when there's been confirmation of six godparents altogether, you know it's unreliable!

Personally I think that Leonore will get another Scandinavian royal, some of Madeleine's friends, one of Chris's sisters or maybe another Bernadotte as godparents.
Since the court has told that no foreign royals are invited to the christening, the swedish royal experts think that Estelle will not get any foreign royals as her godparents either.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:04 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Since the court has told that no foreign royals are invited to the christening, the swedish royal experts think that Estelle will not get any foreign royals as her godparents either.
I think you meant Princess Leonore?
Old 05-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzone View Post
I think you meant Princess Leonore?
Yes, sorry...
Old 05-17-2014, 07:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Slightly bummed that little Leonore wont have a non-Swedish royal godparent but obviously it's logical since Madeleine isn't nearly as attached to foreign royals as Victoria is. Have to update my godparents-guess now.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Ah, that's a little disappointing. I was hoping that either Princess Marie of Denmark or Princess Martha Louise of Norway would be godparents to Princess Leonore, but I knew I shouldn't get my hopes up. So I guess it will just be family friends and members on the godparents list.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 05-17-2014, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Chris has at least two sisters who are married into the aristocracy and also has many very well connected friends. That, combined with the Swedish Royal family themselves, means that Chris and Madeleine have a very suitable group from which to choose godparents for their new daughter without any members of foreign RF's.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Nobility

The royal court has created a website in honor if the royal christening with information about the christening royal traditions etc etc
Dopet - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]
Old 05-21-2014, 07:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

Will the christening be held in Swedish or in English?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Imperial Majesty

Margareta Thorgren told to Expressen, that since the christening is an official event of state, the king doesn't have to pay anything about it. All costs will be paid from the apanage the court gets from the government and parliament. When the annual report was published, it was told that from the apanage was paid 3 million SEK to pay Madeleine's and Chris' wedding, and the king paid himself more than 3 million SEK of the wedding costs.
- There is budgeting for baptism, but if you compare it with previous baptisms, this is a much smaller baptism - it is how Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill want it. It becomes a more familiarly baptism without foreign royals invited, says Thorgren.
Royal Court's chef of economy Jan Lindman says:
- We currently have no figures for what baptism is going to cost, we will not be going out with such data. This is an official state event and the basis for how the court works is that the official affairs of state are included in our business.
The private lunch, then, it is also an affair of state?
- "Private lunch" is more an expression of that TV doesn't get to film there. There is no clear boundary between what royal private commitments are and what is the commitment is as king. It is what makes our business different. This is an official commitment, because it is a princess of Sweden to be baptized.
Kungen slipper betala för Leonores dop Nyheter Expressen
Translation
Old 05-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
The private lunch, then, it is also an affair of state?
- "Private lunch" is more an expression of that TV doesn't get to film there. There is no clear boundary between what royal private commitments are and what is the commitment is as king. It is what makes our business different. This is an official commitment, because it is a princess of Sweden to be baptized.
Kungen slipper betala för Leonores dop Nyheter Expressen
Translation

What is the criterion to define who is a "prince or princess of Sweden" ? In the Netherlands for example, the law ordinarily restricts the title of "prince/princess of the Netherlands" (with the accompanying H.R.H. style) to:

1. A former monarch upon abdication.
  2. The heir apparent to the throne.
  3. Legitimate children of the monarch.
  4. Legitimate children of the heir apparent.
  5. The consorts of the monarch and of the heir apparent.
Other grandchildren of the monarch who are not born to the heir apparent may by law get other titles (e.g. "prince of Orange-Nassau" with a lower HH style), but, since Queen Beatrix's accession, they have been given non-royal titles of nobility instead (e.g. "count/countess of Orange-Nassau" for the children of prince Constantijn and prince Friso).

In Sweden, on the other hand, it appears that the king decides on his own who should be an H.R.H or not. That is fine as long as the number of people in the line of succession is small (as it is the case now), but, in the future, as the number of direct descendants of King Carl XVI Gustaf grows, I imagine the Swedish Parliament will have to pass specific legislation limiting membership of the royal house or, otherwise, there will be an explosion in the number of "princes/princesses of Sweden".

I wonder what the Swedish citizens on this group think about this issue.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

According to Aftonbladet, Sofia Hellqvist is invited to the christening.
Sofia bjuden på dopet Kungligt Nyheter Aftonbladet