Christening of Prince Nicolas: October 11, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are the godparents?

Prince Carl Philip
Mrs Katarina von Horn; Madeleine's friend
Mr Gustaf Magnuson; Madeleine's cousin
Countess Natascha Abensperg und Traun; Chris's sister
Mr Henry d'Abo; Chris's brother-in-law
Mr Marco Wajselfisz; Chris's friend

Is Sofia wearing the Royal Family Order of King Carl XVI Gustaf?

[....]

I imagine poor King Carl Gustaf must have been very nervous also when he was trying to give crying Nicolas the Seraphim order. But again, I don't see the point of conferring an order on a baby !

I agree. It looks weird, the baby has no idea but hoppa! there is the Order of the Seraphim. In Houses of Nassau and Orange-Nassau the children of the respective Chefs de la Maison automatically -like in Sweden- have the Grand Cross in the Ordre du Lion d'Or de la Maison de Nassau. However, the actual "delivery" of the decorations happens when they have reached the age of 18 years. So the automatism is the same, the practical workings somewhat different.

:flowers:

Is Sofia wearing the Royal Family Order of King Carl XVI Gustaf?

Of course, it is given to all the women of the royal family. But the court doesn't use "Royal Family Order" at their website, but "a miniature portrait of The King framed with brilliants".

I think it's Sofia's hair that is the distraction (and the bow, yes). Her dress is actually quite nice, It has some interesting ruffly details (I can't see much of it). Good color. Madeleine looks nice. The Queen looks wonderful. :flowers: Loving the navy blue colors in the chapel. Chris' sister is very striking. Estelle is very well-behaved. Sum of my observations. :)

P.S. He's a fussy baby, like Madeleine was. :flowers:

P.P.S. BTW, it's a small thing, but it looks to me like Madeleine's hair piece is the same color as Sofia's dress (kind of raspberry). A subtle gesture. If a gesture, nice.

:previous:
Nicolas looks like Madeleine.
Nicolas> http://media.shootitlive.com/01N4QJy0VKy7LXCGM9B5MeZZ9ZD/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2059
Madeleine>
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ff/db/97/ffdb97de6adb96386f8b0a582702aaca.jpg
http://40.media.tumblr.com/9a5e092e4eef381cdc25ed0aa9edc1b7/tumblr_msk5e4JuMc1qg0umko1_1280.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/2d/d2/a1/2dd2a1b1bb5bc61c8dd8375e52da42f6.jpg

Today's ceremony was very nice, I especially liked ther music chosen....don't know if anyone else noticed but when Carl Philip was pouring the water into the font Leonore shouted out 'mer' which is Swedish for more

Lovely photos.
Has Estelle's tot sized gilt chair been seen before?
I didn't watch the live stream (up late watching football, golf, hockey and baseball) so just looking at the Leonore photos I have to ask - how long did they let her wander around? Who grabbed her (Very cute IMHO) headband?

And finally, when do the children get to wear their baby orders? I'm assuming the occasion has to be right, but also, is there an age limit?

I thought all looked great, Estelle was charming, as usual. Cuteness overload. Well done.

I saw the thread of the christening. The royal kids stole the show.

Nicolas - he has a set of lungs on him. I wonder what upset him?
Leonor - calling out "more" when CP poured the water into the baptismal font. Flashing the congregation in the middle of the aisle (I know she's a toddler). A minister letting her see the font.
Estelle - to the rescue! Getting a binky when Nicolas was fussy.

Fashion:

Madeleine - love what she had on. The burgundy hairpiece brings out the burgundy in her dress.

Victoria - royal purple look. Like the matching gloves. The pillbox hat give a Jackie O vibe.

Estelle & Leonor - cute dresses.

Silvia - love her lavender, but not sure about the shoes.

Sofia - color of the dress is nice but the dress looks frumpy. The pink fascinator and face netting with the hair down gives a mishmash of looks.

Royal orders, monograms, coat of arms:

Nicholas receives his Seraphim, monogram & coat of arms. He has them like his sister and cousin. Sofia comes in with the family order, but I still find it odd she doesn't have the Seraphim and her own coat of arms by now. She only had her monogram prior to the christening.

I believe they never wear their baby orders. In line with other Royal Houses they will wear these orders when they are 16 or 18 or so, for events which require grand orders to be worn.

[...] Sofia comes in with the family order, but I still find it odd she doesn't have the Seraphim and her own coat of arms by now. She only had her monogram prior to the christening.

I believe Sofia has not received the Order of the Seraphim. Princess Lilian of Sweden only received her Order of the Seraphim for her 80th birthday. Princess Lilian also had no own Coat-of-Arms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely photos.
Has Estelle's tot sized gilt chair been seen before?
I didn't watch the live stream (up late watching football, golf, hockey and baseball) so just looking at the Leonore photos I have to ask - how long did they let her wander around? Who grabbed her (Very cute IMHO) headband?

And finally, when do the children get to wear their baby orders? I'm assuming the occasion has to be right, but also, is there an age limit?

I thought all looked great, Estelle was charming, as usual. Cuteness overload. Well done.
The gilded chair has been there for all these events for Estelle :) It's adorable.

Leonore walked around for a while, got picked up by Prince CP once, also by the bishop :p Then she went to the back of the church, presumably to the nanny. Chris had her headband in his hand from very earlyon.

They start wearing the orders after they turn 18 :)

@Lady Finn - I'm sorry that Madeleine took a hit like that on her son's big day.

I also had a question about the protocol. I watched the christening and when the royals entered the church. When the king's sister and Sofia did not bow to the altar. Victoria and Daniel did, so did Madeleine and Chris. Also the congregation rose when the Crown Princess family entered the church. Finally, Sofia holding up the procession to stop and shake hands with some people in the church. When do you do that when you're holding up the royals that outrank you? Say hi and hello when you get to your seat. I thought that move was tacky.

Who else want to see that 18 years old rule changed so that we can see Estelle, Leonore and Nicolas wearing those stars on big occasions? I can dream.

@Lady Finn - I'm sorry that Madeleine took a hit like that on her son's big day.

I also had a question about the protocol. I watched the christening and when the royals entered the church. When the king's sister and Sofia did not bow to the altar. Victoria and Daniel did, so did Madeleine and Chris. Also the congregation rose when the Crown Princess family entered the church. Finally, Sofia holding up the procession to stop and shake hands with some people in the church. When do you do that when you're holding up the royals that outrank you? Say hi and hello when you get to your seat. I thought that move was tacky.
Tacky? I think she was being nice. I think it's an awkard situation to put Eva and Sophia as walking partners since both of them are new to this. In the UK I've seen that when they go into churches they have an official person each to guide them through it. Madeleine guided Chris alot today. There are alot of points on where to go and when to stand and where to sit etc. Sophie the Countess of Wessex told about it being hard to find her seat at a state banquet and how the queen had to wait to do her speach for Sophie to find her seat. Stuff like that happens. And Sofia is probably overcompensating since royals shake alot of hands she probably thought it was the professional thing to do. Nothing more sinister than that.

Tacky? I think she was being nice. I think it's an awkard situation to put Eva and Sophia as walking partners since both of them are new to this. In the UK I've seen that when they go into churches they have an official person each to guide them through it. Madeleine guided Chris alot today. There are alot of points on where to go and when to stand and where to sit etc. Sophie the Countess of Wessex told about it being hard to find her seat at a state banquet and how the queen had to wait to do her speach for Sophie to find her seat. Stuff like that happens. And Sofia is probably overcompensating since royals shake alot of hands she probably thought it was the professional thing to do. Nothing more sinister than that.

Eva isn't new to this, she came to Leonore's christening in Carl Philip's arm. And it shouldn't be too difficult for Sofia to walk to the chapel, to bow and sit to her place, she surely was told where it was. She forgot to bow, next time she will remember.
Her shaking hands wasn't an awful thing at all. But we are discussing about this at the wrong thread.

Last edited:
Victoria and Madeleine were very beautiful. The children were charming. Another beautiful christening Swedish.

well... in the end, speculations may prove true as emma does not figure in the guest list:

Gäster - Sveriges Kungahus

i am unsure what to think of madeleine's dress. and i wonder what sofia was thinking when she put all those pink garments together, combined with hair curls. victoria, on the other hand, looked the best of them all.

nicholas is a cutie, and so is estelle!

Last edited:
Eva isn't new to this, she came to Leonore's christening in Carl Philip's arm. And it shouldn't be too difficult for Sofia to walk to the chapel, to bow and sit to her place, she surely was told where it was. She forgot to bow, next time she will remember.
Her shaking hands wasn't an awful thing at all. But we are discussing about this at the wrong thread.
I know Eva's not new-new, but still not a veteran :p And it IS rather difficult actually. She missed the bow. But the rest, did they not know where to sit? I saw alot of times during the baptism where people were unsure if to stand or sit, where to sit etc, and not just from the newbies. We have the overlook view which makes it easier for us but when you're in the middle of it they can't see what tempo the person behind them are holding etc. So it's more fine tuning than people think. Hence why I like that the BRF usually have a military person or something of that sort whose only job is to get people to the right places on the right time :) (Also, mods can please move us :p)

I believe Sofia has not received the Order of the Seraphim. Princess Lilian of Sweden only received her Order of the Seraphim for her 80th birthday. Princess Lilian also had no own Coat-of-Arms.

The main reason for Princess Lilian not receiving the Order of the Seraphim earlier was that between 1974 and 1995 it was prohibited for Swedish citizens to receive the order. That's also the reason for Queen Silvia to receive it before the wedding (and not after like Prince Daniel) when she still held West-German citizenship.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Victoria and Madeleine were very beautiful.
Nicolas cried a lot, which is normal.
Another fantastic Sweden Royal christening.

The main reason for Princess Lilian not receiving the Order of the Seraphim earlier was that between 1974 and 1995 it was prohibited for Swedish citizens to receive the order. That's also the reason for Queen Silvia to receive it before the wedding (and not after like Prince Daniel) when she still held West-German citizenship.

But Lilian was given an order. The Polar Star. Like Silvia she got it before her Wedding when she still held the british citizenship. But for some reason it was choosen to give her first an Lower Order then the Seraphim.

Liked the ceremony. Glad Sofia has received her Order.

Very beautiful ceremony. Children as always stole the show. The royal ladies beautiful but more the victoria. It's great to watch ceremonies so different from yours. (In my case orthodox)

@Duc_et_Pair, & @JR76 - I don't think Lillian can be used as a precedent because Daniel had his coat of arms four days before his wedding to Victoria. That was in 2010. Silvia was putting the Seraphim sash on Daniel right after the ceremony. Before hand, one was awarded the Seraphim has to be at least 18. The rules have been changing and it's confusing. I get that a woman doesn't wear the Seraphim sash over her wedding gown, but by now it should be established that Sofia has the Seraphim, not will get it someday. Especially when royal babies are getting them when they are baptized.

When standing up, the future Queen looked great but when seated I found it too short.

Examples: see this picture and this picture. Note the difference with Princess Sofia.

But Lilian was given an order. The Polar Star. Like Silvia she got it before her Wedding when she still held the british citizenship. But for some reason it was choosen to give her first an Lower Order then the Seraphim.

You're right but after 1975 it's the government that hands out orders and not the King. The then government apparently felt it appropriate for a future queen to receive the Order of Seraphim but that the Order of the Polar star was suitable for a princess.

Sweden remains most generous towards royal spouses anyway, compared to lots of monarchies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom