Christening of Prince Nicolas: October 11, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I reading this post correctly? Has Ebba von Sydow left SVT

Yes!!! I'll never have to see her mess up a royal event with her incompetence again ??

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

According to SVT's TV chart for 11th October, SVT1 broadcasts the christening on 11.50-13.30, probably the broadcast at SVTplay in the internet has same coverage.
TV-tablå | SVT.se

I'm one of those who will not miss Ebba at all.

Queen Silvia talked to Expressen about the christening on Thursday when she was in Landskrona.
The queen lit up and smiles when she gets questions about the grandchild.
- We are obviously very pleased. We look forward to the feast and the baby is doing well, it's a cute little boy.
The Queen adds that Nicolas has become big now, three months to be precise. She reveals that she participates actively in the preparation of the christening.
- Like all grandmothers, you always want to do your best and we wish of course, luck to the little boy.
What does the Queen do in practical terms of the christening?
- Ohh, that's a lot of work and the whole family is involved. There is everything from the invitation lists to who should be the godparents.
For the first time, the Queen comments also SVT circus surrounding the christening - first saying no thanks and then make a U-turn.
- We see it as very good, especially as SVT is our public service channel, and it feels like they have been involved from the very beginning, already 38 years ago.
The Queen is referring of course to the christening of Crown Princess Victoria - which took place 27 September 1977.
- We look very much forward to this and when it comes to SVT, it almost feels like a good friend by now.
Drottning Silvia hyllar SVT_s dopsändning _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
Thank you LadyFinn! Silvia responded in a very diplomatic way, as always.

Expressen Extra has written that the king wants to play down the baptism of Prince Nicolas. Stoppa pressarna quotes the article.
His Majesty would rather want that it would be a private, simple ceremony and far from the fuss prevailed when Princess Leonore, 1, was baptized.
The reason for this is the scenario that the King sees to come. Soon, Crown Princess Victoria has another child and then it's not long before princess Sofia becomes pregnant. All events of royal rank cost a lot of pennies for the monarch and additionally the mystique of the royal family is peeling with so many new members.
- It will be inflationary with the new princes and princesses in the future, says a source.
From the beginning the intention was that SVT would not send Prince Nicolas baptism of various reasons. The court and the king went on the same line and probably thought that this was the right decision. But after intense pressure from the public the state television withdrew their decision, and now it will be a televised baptism anyway.
Kungens skarpa besked till Madeleine _ Stoppa Pressarna

Last edited:
Does anyone know the link or links to be able to watch the christening live? I am more than willing to rise early on a Sunday morning in order to see Estelle, Leonore, and Niicolas!

Expressen Extra has written that the king wants to play down the baptism of Prince Nicolas. Stoppa pressarna quotes the article.
His Majesty would rather want that it would be a private, simple ceremony and far from the fuss prevailed when Princess Leonore, 1, was baptized.
The reason for this is the scenario that the King sees to come. Soon, Crown Princess Victoria has another child and then it's not long before princess Sofia becomes pregnant. All events of royal rank cost a lot of pennies for the monarch and additionally the mystique of the royal family is peeling with so many new members.
- It will be inflationary with the new princes and princesses in the future, says a source.
From the beginning the intention was that SVT would not send Prince Nicolas baptism of various reasons. The court and the king went on the same line and probably thought that this was the right decision. But after intense pressure from the public the state television withdrew their decision, and now it will be a televised baptism anyway.

Curious, I was under the impression that the opposite was true, i.e. SVT didn't want to televise the christening and the Royal Court put pressure on them to televise it threatening to give the broadcasting rights to other private TV channels.

I agree though that all those weddings and public baptisms must be costing a lot of money. Where does the money come from ? Is it from the budget allocated to the Court Administration (otherwise known as the "appanage"), or is it from the King's private purse ?

On a different topic, I read on the Royal House website that the Royal Djurgården Administration (KDF), which is separate from the Court Administration, generates approximately SEK 130 million (over 15 million US$) in annual revenue, mostly from commercial rents and leases. Where does all that money go ? Is it paid back to the Swedish treasure like the revenue from the Crown estate in the UK or the Donation Royale in Belgium ? Or does it go to the Royal Court Administration ?

Last edited:
I would guess this is pure speculation. There are no more weddings for another 25+ years and within 5-6 years (purely a guess) there will not be any more new royal children to baptise. What is left for televised events will be funerals and lets hope that is way into the future. The royal family will not downplay the best PR they can get...cute babies and toddlers.

The court has a special website for the christening:
Prins Nicolas dop - Sveriges Kungahus

Nicolas will be after the christening at King Karl XV's cradle, the same cradle used at Madeleine's and Leonore's christenings. The christening font is also the same used at Leonore's christening.

On a different topic, I read on the Royal House website that the Royal Djurgården Administration (KDF), which is separate from the Court Administration, generates approximately SEK 130 million (over 15 million US$) in annual revenue, mostly from commercial rents and leases. Where does all that money go ? Is it paid back to the Swedish treasure like the revenue from the Crown estate in the UK or the Donation Royale in Belgium ? Or does it go to the Royal Court Administration ?

"The Royal Djurgården Administration (KDF), obtains revenue in the form of rents and leases to cover its expenses. This administration is a separate accounting unit in its own right. It has an annual turnover of some SEK 130 million and about 32 employees. By agreement with the government, KDF is audited by the Parliamentary Auditors. "
Royal Finances - Sveriges Kungahus

Like said there, the SEK 130 million covers the expenses of The Royal Djurgården Administration.

More info about the work of the Royal Djurgården Administration:
Kungl. Djurgårdens förvaltning - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Last edited:
Hmmm that's interesting that Carl Gustaf was OK with Nicolas' christening not being broadcasted. I guess I understand the reasoning but like grevinnan stated, there's going to be a lot going on for the next few years and then probably a couple decades of no weddings or christenings. It will be interesting to see if Nicolas' christening differs from Estelle's and Leonore's christening and if it is a template for future christenings for this generation.

Last edited:
Hmmm that's interesting that Carl Gustaf was OK with Nicolas' christening not being broadcasted. I guess I understand the reasoning but like grevinnan stated, there's going to be a lot going on for the next few years and then probably a couple decades of no weddings or christenings. It will be interesting to see if Nicolas' christening differs from Estelle's and Leonore's christening and if it is a template for future christenings for this generation.
I've never heard about the magazine and have a hunch that it's one of the less reputable magazines. I would take that report with a huge bowl of salt on the side.

The court has a special website for the christening:
Prins Nicolas dop - Sveriges Kungahus

Nicolas will be after the christening at King Karl XV's cradle, the same cradle used at Madeleine's and Leonore's christenings. The christening font is also the same used at Leonore's christening.

"The Royal Djurgården Administration (KDF), obtains revenue in the form of rents and leases to cover its expenses. This administration is a separate accounting unit in its own right. It has an annual turnover of some SEK 130 million and about 32 employees. By agreement with the government, KDF is audited by the Parliamentary Auditors. "
Royal Finances - Sveriges Kungahus

Like said there, the SEK 130 million covers the expenses of The Royal Djurgården Administration.

More info about the work of the Royal Djurgården Administration:
Kungl. Djurgårdens förvaltning - Sveriges Kungahus
Translation

Thanks, LadyFinn.

It seems to me that SEK 130 million (roughly US$ 15 million) is a lot of money though to cover expenses only. For example, it is more than the appanage itself, which was SEK 63.3 million in 2013, plus the budget allocated to the royal palaces, which was SEK 60.8 million in the same year (not including ticket and merchandise sales to visitors). I'm pretty sure then that the Royal Djurgården Administration must generate a surplus. My question was if that surplus, after paying for expenses, was : (a) 100 % reinvested in the estate, or (b ) paid back to the Swedish treasure (as in other countries like the UK or Belgium), or (c) used for other purposes, e.g. to pay for other Court expenses.

I guess (c) would be out of question (maybe illegal ?) and, since we have never heard anything official about (b), then (a) must be true. I'd be fascinated to know more about it though.

Last edited:
I would guess this is pure speculation. There are no more weddings for another 25+ years and within 5-6 years (purely a guess) there will not be any more new royal children to baptise. What is left for televised events will be funerals and lets hope that is way into the future. The royal family will not downplay the best PR they can get...cute babies and toddlers.

I agree. I understand the reasonings behind the article given that Nicolas is last in the line of succession (IIRC none of the Haga Princesses are still in line to the throne? Please correct me if I'm wrong), though Leonore had a large christening and Madeleine strikes me as someone who enjoys the privileges and pomp and ceremony that comes with being a princess. Therefore I can't imagine that Nicolas's christening will be very low key but more or less on the same scale as his older sister's.

I agree. I understand the reasonings behind the article given that Nicolas is last in the line of succession (IIRC none of the Haga Princesses are still in line to the throne? Please correct me if I'm wrong), though Leonore had a large christening and Madeleine strikes me as someone who enjoys the privileges and pomp and ceremony that comes with being a princess. Therefore I can't imagine that Nicolas's christening will be very low key but more or less on the same scale as his older sister's.
Princess Madeleine's children are grandchildren of a reigning monarch and are also in the line of succession. They should be treated with the pomp and ceremony that comes with that position. The only child with a somewhat different position is Princess Estelle as she is the heir of the Crown Princess.

Princess Madeleine's children are grandchildren of a reigning monarch and are also in the line of succession. They should be treated with the pomp and ceremony that comes with that position. The only child with a somewhat different position is Princess Estelle as she is the heir of the Crown Princess.

I never said that Leonore and Nicolas shouldn't be treated as such. I just said that in my opinion Madeleine comes across as liking the pomp and ceremony and other Royal privileges. It wasn't meant to come across as a criticism but more as an observation.

I think the king made the statement about wishing Nicolas' christening was low key could be in reaction to the Riksdag's motion to investigate abolishing the monarchy. That would be a great argument - a very expensive parade with pomp and pageantry for a child that is 7th in line to the throne. Who pays for the christening? Carl Gustaf may be thinking not to give the elected anti-monarchists any ammunition.

The king himself gave to her children Madeleine royal titles. If you want a low-key baptism and not so much attention let's think before.

Thanks, LadyFinn.

It seems to me that SEK 130 million (roughly US$ 15 million) is a lot of money though to cover expenses only. For example, it is more than the appanage itself, which was SEK 63.3 million in 2013, plus the budget allocated to the royal palaces, which was SEK 60.8 million in the same year (not including ticket and merchandise sales to visitors). I'm pretty sure then that the Royal Djurgården Administration must generate a surplus. My question was if that surplus, after paying for expenses, was : (a) 100 % reinvested in the estate, or (b ) paid back to the Swedish treasure (as in other countries like the UK or Belgium), or (c) used for other purposes, e.g. to pay for other Court expenses.

I guess (c) would be out of question (maybe illegal ?) and, since we have never heard anything official about (b), then (a) must be true. I'd be fascinated to know more about it though.

If you read the article I posted a link to, about the Royal Djurgården Administration, at the website it is said "Intäkterna ska användas för att förbättra och försköna Djurgården". = The proceeds shall be used to improve and beautify Djurgården".
I think that it is quite clearly said where the money goes.

Expressen wrote yesterday about who have been invited to the christening. Louise Gottlieb said to Expressen that she is invited, goes with her boyfriend Ludvig Blomqvist and that they all look very much forward to Sunday. It will certainly be very nice.
Some politicians are invited: prime minister Stefan Löfven, party leader Anna Kinberg Batra, minister Morgan Johansson and first deputy speaker Tobias Billström. Minister Åsa Romson has been forced to decline to attend and prioritize other stuff. The governor of Ångermanland, Gunnar Holmgren, is invited because Prince Nicolas is the Duke of Ångermanland.
Sofi Fahrman is among the invited with her husband Nick Zijlstra, a financier who knows Chris O'Neill well. Others in the circle of friends who are also fully ready for baptism on Sunday are Katarina von Horn with her husband Robert, Natalie Werner with her husband Dag, Patrick Sommerlath and his Maline Sommerlath, Charlotte Cederlund with husband Christopher, Lovisa de Geer and Ellen Dinkelspiel with her husband Jan.
Prinsessan Madeleine och Chris O'Neill har sållat hårt i gästlistan till dopet av prins Nicolas _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
The king himself gave to her children Madeleine royal titles. If you want a low-key baptism and not so much attention let's think before.

I agree. He can't make his grandchildren Princess and Prince only to then deny them the privileges that come along with such titles. It would have been completely justifiable for him to deny them titles in the first place but now that he has done it, then he must also follow through with it.

There's one thing I really don't understand here.

I'm quite sure that the court doesn't have to pay SVT for the broadcast. That bill ends up with SVT. Besides paying for lunch (and perhaps hotel rooms) for the guests, where is the big cost? I understand that a royal wedding is expensive. No question there. But a baptism? I really don't get it.

I'm quite sure that the court doesn't have to pay SVT for the broadcast. That bill ends up with SVT. Besides paying for lunch (and perhaps hotel rooms) for the guests, where is the big cost? I understand that a royal wedding is expensive. No question there. But a baptism? I really don't get it.

Some people here want to blame Madelaine for expensive baptism, facts and common sense are not important

Some people here want to blame Madelaine for expensive baptism, facts and common sense are not important

If you are referring to my post, as I said before it wasn't meant as a criticism and I didn't mean to "blame" Madeleine. It was simply an observation. Nor did I say facts and common sense are unimportant because I do take them into account when I post my own opinions (which I'm also entitled to)...

Well, they have to pay for the decoration of the church, the musicians who will perform during the service, invitation letters, security, etc. etc. Add to that the cost of the reception and possible accomodation for guests and it suddenly becomes not so cheap anymore.

Expressen has posted an article showing the chapel all set up. In the shot there is 10 chairs for the royal family- I think this indicates that no one in the immediate family is a godparent. Other thoughts?
Så blir det kungliga dopet av prins Nicolas | Nyheter | Expressen

At Leonore's christening they sat: Chris, Madeleine, the king, the queen, Eva O'Neill, Carl Philip, Daniel
http://wpmedia.ottawacitizen.com/20...1.jpg?quality=55&strip=all&w=840&h=630&crop=1

It would seem logical that of course Eva O'Neill sits with the royals this time too, so one of the royals is a godparent. It also looks that on the other side are 6 chairs for the godparents. Expressen has a long Live-broadcast from 09.00 to 17.00 with a lot of guests at the studio on the christening day.

Emma Pernald doesn't attend at the christening. Expressen claims that the reason is that Carl Philip does not want to see his ex-girlfriend at the church. According to Aftonbladet it is Sofia who doesn't want Emma there. Between Carl Philip and Emma is Madeleine who does not know what she should do.
- I will not go to the baptism, Emma Pernald confirms to Expressen.
Why?
- For different reasons. The reason is nothing that I need to share to the media. It is clear that it is a pity because I and Princess Madeleine are good friends.
Has it something with Carl Philip to do?
- Like said, the cause is not needed to be shared with the media.
When Princess Leonore was baptized Emma Pernald and her husband Tomas Jonson were invited, but chose at the last moment to jump off. Emma then stated that it was because of "illness".
Ulrika Näsholm, information officer at the court:
- We will give out the guest list on Sunday before the baptism.
Is it true that Emma will not participate because Carl Philip asked her not to be there?
- The guest list will be published on Sunday about those who will come.
Emma Pernald får inte komma på dopet _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

It is extremely sad that the christening of Nicolas, a happy day of Madeleine and Chris, will be disturbed by this kind of thing.

Last edited:
From Aftonbladet:

Princess Madeleine wanted her best friend Emma Pernald as godmother to Prince Nicolas, according to a court source.
But just days before the ceremony Carl Philip's ex-girlfriend is ported from the church - after Princess Sofia's desire, said the source.
- For various reasons, I am unfortunately not able to attend the baptism, says Emma Pernald to Aftonbladet.

Expressen has previously written that Prince Carl Philip is one of those who have received the honor to be a godparent.
According to a court source prince would have been joined as a sponsor by his former girlfriend Emma Pernald.
- They have been talking about it and both Madeleine and Emma wanted it to be so, said the source.
Since the breakup with the Prince Emma Pernald married and had children. But she has been in the royal family's proximity - as one of Princess Madeleine's closest friends.
Because of their close relationship got Pernald therefore the question of becoming a godparent. But just days before Sunday's baptism came the turn from the royal family: Emma Pernald may not even come into the church.
Reportedly, Princess Sofia has difficult to accept the prince's ex-girlfriend and the atmosphere between them shall be icy, as several sources testified for a long time.
- It is because of Sofia to which the decision is based. She does not want Emma to be there, says the court source.
The announcement has stirred up emotions in the royal house.
- To Madeleine the whole situation is very difficult. She is caught between the royal family's public role and one of her best friends, says a court source.
- Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the christening of different reasons. The reasons are not needed to be shared with the media, says Emma Pernald.
Margareta Thorgren doesn't want to comment Emma Pernald's absence.
Aftonbladet has sought in vain Christina Saliba, who works with public relations for Princess Sofia.
Källa_ Hon skulle ha blivit prins Nicolas fadder – portas nu från kyrkan _ Nyheter _ Aftonbladet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom