Christening of Prince Nicolas: October 11, 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised to see Ewa there; I thought the next time the Westlings attended a royal christening is for Victoria's and Daniel's 2nd child. And I doubt she is there as the babysitter; Estelle has a nanny.

I doubt the Westlings are attending at the christening. They are spending the weekend at the Haga Palace and help where needed. Of course they want to be with their granddaughter, nannies can spend some free time.
At Madeleine's wedding the Westlings brought Estelle from the Haga Palace to the church at a car, and at the church was nanny Elisabeth Zimmermann ready if Estelle would have needed her. But Estelle behaved perfectly and the nanny wasn't needed.
Just nu_ familjen förbereder sig vid kyrkan _ Svensk Damtidning
Translation

Last edited:
Or maybe... he had a reason.. or the others were early... or he had told them he'd be late... or he's a douche not caring for time... or he hates Madeleine... or it was traffick... THere are a thousand possiblities so I prefer not to project some bad image on him for him being late. We don't know the circumstances :)
You don't have to, he is perfectly capable of doing it all alone rather often and he does it well. :whistling:

I'm surprised to see Ewa there; I thought the next time the Westlings attended a royal christening is for Victoria's and Daniel's 2nd child. And I doubt she is there as the babysitter; Estelle has a nanny.

Carl Philip showing up 20 minutes late for the rehearsal. Really? Whatever his excuse it better be a good one.

Emma opened herself up for more scrutiny ever since her public reaction to CP's comment of not knowing true love until Sofia (pre-wedding interview). Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason why she's not at the baptism. Granted, CP was a jerk when he said that, but she should have kept her head down after that.

come on. emma has been the living proof of discretion and keeping her head down. she never disclosed any royal details, and proof of that is that even after CP moved on and married someone else, victoria and madeleine are still close friends of hers. CP's comments on never finding love before sofia were inappropriate comments for a gentleman to make to anyone, let alone the press in a public official interview. what was the lady supposed to do? she was publicly bashed, and it seems that this behavior keeps continuing if emma was banned from the baptism due to her past relationship with CP. we shall see tomorrow...

Or maybe... he had a reason.. or the others were early... or he had told them he'd be late... or he's a douche not caring for time... or he hates Madeleine... or it was traffick... THere are a thousand possiblities so I prefer not to project some bad image on him for him being late. We don't know the circumstances :)
The event was sceduled at 4 p.m. so he kept the others waiting.

The event was sceduled at 4 p.m. so he kept the others waiting.
Ok. As I said, I don't know the reason. And that's my whole point. His dog could have gotten it's head stuck in a fence for all we know :p

I think we need to stop infantilizing Madeleine here. This is Madeleine's child's christening. The King may well have the right to veto guests but I doubt he would abuse it like that – and what's more, I doubt Madeleine would accept a such veto of one of her best friends. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty damn sure she would tell CP to suck it up and stop complaining. Madeleine is no pushover.

I still can't believe people are buying this story :rolleyes:

Emma was at Madeleine's hen party in Switzerland. Emma was at Madeleine's wedding, like all of those who were at the hen party. All of those who were at the hen party, except Emma, were at Leonore's christening. Emma has been seen every summer with Madeleine and her friends spending time together and this week when Madeleine arrived to Stockholm, Emma was with her when she spent an evening with her closest friends. So Emma would just miss two christenings of the children of one of her closest friends, just because she wasn't interested to attend? No way. The reason is very clear.

Sofia was at Madeleine's wedding as well, yet Emma turned up. I'm not sure I get what you're trying to argue? Because, if we're going by the theory that it's a matter of either CP/Sofia or Emma not wanting to see the other, surely they wouldn't all have been at Madeleine's wedding together?

I also don't believe anyone has argued that Emma somehow isn't "interested" in attending the christening, merely pondered whether she might have had prior commitments.

Carl Philip showing up 20 minutes late for the rehearsal. Really? Whatever his excuse it better be a good one.

Oh yes, what a scoundrel. I, too, demand a thorough statement on the grounds of his tardiness.

Jokes aside. Why automatically assume that he wasn't on time? It might well have been the agreement all along that he should arrive twenty minutes later if he was unable to make it in time.

Why automatically assume that he wasn't on time? It might well have been the agreement all along that he should arrive twenty minutes later if he was unable to make it in time.
As there were no official engagements in his calendar, what pressing reasons could there be that he was unable to arrive in time? If he knew was going to be late, why not inform the others at the rehearsal so that they wouldn't have to wait outdoors for him to arrive.
http://www.theroyalforums.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

:previous: Because only official engagements are important enough for him to postpone his arrival, or? Perhaps he took his dog to the vet or something like that. The point I'm trying to make is that there's no reason to assume the worst when there are an endless amount of possible explanations. Also, did they all wait outside? I haven't read that. How silly, why not wait inside the church?

As there were no official engagements in his calendar, what pressing reasons could there be that he was unable to arrive in time? If he knew was going to be late, why not inform the others at the rehearsal so that they wouldn't have to wait outdoors for him to arrive.

Sometimes the assumptions that are made are astonishing. We have no idea why he arrived after the other family members. He may not even have been late as we don't know what he may have done or been prior to arriving and if he was expected even later than occurred.

The godparents were most likely chosen quite some time ago. Godparents often have special gifts purchased or made for their god children. Often the gifts are engraved. To inform someone they are going to be a god parent a few days prior to the baptism just isn't done. The dinner with her girlfriends was perhaps just a reason to get together while Madeleine was in Stockholm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid it is not entirely her decision to make. If the Royal House tells her that person X or Y cannot attend, then person X or Y will not be invited. As the King is the head of the Royal House and the King always bows to CP's wishes, it is pretty clear to me why Emma won't be there.
It's funny, but when it came to Madeleine's wedding the same accusation was made against the King, only that time it was always bowing to Madeleine's wishes. "Proven by Lenore being created an HRH Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Gotland and given the Royal Order of the Seraphim at her baptism.

Maybe Emma was not happy with the fact that the press made her already one of the biggest favorites before the parents could decide.
Puts you in an akward position.
I'll say! Just imagine that the camera's spending half their time showing her and her "brave face", yada, yada, yada. That would be more that enough to decide to tactfully withdraw.

Carl Philip doesn't seem to adhere to the Swedish saying "punktlighet är en dygd" (punctuality is a virtue) as he arrived almost half an hour late to the baptism rehearsal, even if he had been at Drottningholm castle earlier in the day. Perhaps Carl Philip thinks the saying "fint folk kommer sent" (important people arrive late) is a truer saying.
That's a bit harsh. You have no idea what time the event was scheduled so he may even have been on time, choosing to skip the family smoozing and afternoon tea. He could also have had a flat, been held up by an accident on the road. Anything rather than going out of his way to cause as much inconvenience as he could.
come on. emma has been the living proof of discretion and keeping her head down. she never disclosed any royal details, and proof of that is that even after CP moved on and married someone else, victoria and madeleine are still close friends of hers. CP's comments on never finding love before sofia were inappropriate comments for a gentleman to make to anyone, let alone the press in a public official interview. what was the lady supposed to do? she was publicly bashed, and it seems that this behavior keeps continuing if emma was banned from the baptism due to her past relationship with CP. we shall see tomorrow...
Oh for Heaven's sake. Emma and CP were together for the best part of 10 years with many reported ups and downs and after the engagement of Victoria and Daniel things got real. It was obvious there was not a stable enough relationship to get engaged and married so wisely, they called it quits.

Emma was not bashed because of CP gushing over Sofia. It was obvious that that whatever there was between he and Emma was not enough. Saying he had found the love of his life makes sense and none of it was bashing Emma. I would venture to guess she was the last thing on his mind at that moment.

As to Emma's attendance at the Baptism, who could blame her if she chose to stay away. The press has had a field day on the whole Madeleine/Emma/CP dynamic and what's going to happen at the baptism ever since Nicholas was born.

Emma may have decided not to attend simply to avoid the nonsense that would be written if she did . The press would have made up all sorts of ridiculous stories to show some fighting or hatred when there is none. How about she and Carl have moved on and are happy in their lives. If they were meant to be together and married they would have done so .

The rehearsal was scheduled to start at 16.00. Obviously all the other godparents were there (mr Wajselfisz wasn't at the photos, maybe he arrives to Sweden only today). Carl Philip came according to the media late. Aftonbladet wrote that he was seen at Drottningholm even in the morning, but now he arrived to the rehearsal just before 16.30. I have been raised to respect older people. Now it looks that Carl Philip let the 76-year-old bishop emeritus and all the others wait for him.

For the first time the finnish TV doesn't send the baptism on their main channel. It will be shown on the swedish channel of YLE without any commentating on finnish. Leonore's baptism was shown on the main channel.

Nicolas's duchy Ångermanland gives him as a gift a park, in connection of Naturum at Skuleberget "HKH Prins Nicolas Hertig av Ångermanlands upptäckarpark".
The park will offer discovery where visitors can be active.
The governor gives today also an invitation to Princess Madeleine with family to visit the Naturum Höga Kusten to inaugurate the park. That would happen some time next year.
I dag döps hertigen av Ångermanland – här är lanshövdingens gåva
Translation

Last edited:
I agree with those saying that Emma's absence (or very behind-the-scene presence) is merely a function of the behavior of the tabloid press. :sad: It might not worth it (nor pleasant) from her perspective as a private individual to be focussed on in that way. Emma is also raising a family. Children should not be reading certain headlines about their mother. It's intrusive. There are more important concerns, and her royal friends likely understand. JMO.

Last edited:
Here is Prince Nicolas' Monogram outside of Drottningholm.
https://instagram.com/p/8qJ-TpSGBw/

The monogram will be revealed today, it is made of apples, tells Expressen.
- We usually make monogram with flowers, but now that it is a little cooler so we decided that we would use apples, says Paulina Landin, palace gardener.
- It was when we picked apples in our apple orchards when we realized that we had so many apples that we could do this.
Do the proud parents know about the surprise?
- No, it will be the first time they see it at the christening. Also all the guests.
Här gömmer de prins Nicolas överraskning _ Nyheter _ Expressen
Translation

There would have been much less talk about Emma and Sofia at the christening, if Emma would have got to attend. When Emma attended at Madeleine's wedding, it wasn't a big fuss then. And today the press focuses on Madeleine's family - and on pregnant Victoria and Estelle.

The guest list, Madeleine's godfather prince Andreas of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha attends today too, like at Leonore's christening. Princess Margaretha is the only king's sister to attend.
http://www.kungahuset.se/specialweb...p/dopet/gaster.4.2dc9487f14e8c508d0384a6.html

Last edited:
Expressen's live-broadcast during the whole day until 17.00. Photos will be updated to this website and there are experts interviewed.
Följ hela prins Nicolas dop | Nyheter | Expressen

Aftonbladet's live-broadcast with photos
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/live/1/

Archbishop Antje Jackelén arrived.
http://media.shootitlive.com/Ezw2JJ8J14Zdv9qefPWRRU2E85Q/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2059

Tord Magnuson told to Aftonbladet that princess Christina is in France.
- She wantéd to come by, but is away, he says.
Is it a business trip or vacation?
- Little of both one can say. You may settle with me instead, says Tord Magnuson.

Last edited:
What a hullabaloo for what in essence is just a splash of water for a junior Prince. I am surprised by all the noise around this little event.

Expressen's live-broadcast during the whole day until 17.00. Photos will be updated to this website and there are experts interviewed.
Följ hela prins Nicolas dop | Nyheter | Expressen

Aftonbladet's live-broadcast with photos
Live 1 | Live | Nyheter | Aftonbladet

Archbishop Antje Jackelén arrived.
http://media.shootitlive.com/Ezw2JJ8J14Zdv9qefPWRRU2E85Q/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2059

Tord Magnuson told to Aftonbladet that princess Christina is in France.
- She wantéd to come by, but is away, he says.
Is it a business trip or vacation?
- Little of both one can say. You may settle with me instead, says Tord Magnuson.

What a wonderful finally to give focus in this beautiful little Prince and his baptism and not in all the other nonsense :)

The oldest guest is Dagmar von Arbin, the daughter of count Carl Bernadotte af Wisborg and baroness Marianne de Geer. She has her 100th birthday on April 2016.
http://media.shootitlive.com/PbBZL1KL2mN3SFLfQvznRRqRMFh/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2059

The First Lady of the Court, Kirstine von Blixen-Finecke, and the Marshal of the Court, Karolin A. Johansson. = The Head's of the Queen's and Crown Princess's Households.
http://media.shootitlive.com/718Z5AZcxnBc3LytQvxllmGrsUu/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/4012
The Marshal of the Realm, Svante Lindqvist and his wife
http://media.shootitlive.com/UdNzSXtyBuo2RCK7M6OztfLu2DE/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/4012
Countess Marianne Bernadotte
http://media.shootitlive.com/NrMzRfzKKEkxVgt5lYhRxpjiZtj/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2059
http://media.shootitlive.com/BFt3VejzwGYRZEeFiw8ZuKN7DRP/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2059
Madeleine's friend Lovisa de Geer and Niklas Bolle
http://media.shootitlive.com/HizysR3FofxRQHKznfYFAKHmRH9/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/4012
Louise Gottlieb and Ludvig Blomqvist
http://media.shootitlive.com/0Y585CxB1uPWtsW31ZRukn5uIlb/1200.jpg?project_id=expressen/2059
Andrea Brodin, Cedric Notz and Andrea's children
http://media.shootitlive.com/EzOS6JVmOWlKLPhfKq8SfKHzzo2/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/4012
Queen Silvia's lady-in-waiting, Christina von Schwerin
http://media.shootitlive.com/HCthuvs7IWk93KL0ifLcOmXXUmZ/1200.jpg?project_id=aftonbladet/4012

Last edited:
What a hullabaloo for what in essence is just a splash of water for a junior Prince. I am surprised by all the noise around this little event.

Lots of politicians and government members also in attendance. They don't look like they are so eager to abolish the monarchy after all despite all the talk we hear on how "republican" the Riksdag is !

The broadcast of SVT has started. They are already talking about CP Victoria and P Estelle and CPV's pregnancy. they really are the superstars *smile*

Lots of politicians and government members also in attendance. They don't look like they are so eager to abolish the monarchy after all despite all the talk we hear on how "republican" the Riksdag is !

Don't trust them. They would not be the first politicians to set up a façade in front and backstab them in behind. When King Willem-Alexander, King Philippe or King Felipe became invested, I think half of the politicians in the venues wanted to abolish the whole circus, but as time is not yet ripe, they just play their part in the "theatre of state" until they can end it all. It is the same as Mr Mas, the Catalonian President, receiving King Felipe but at the same time organizing a referendum for an independent, republican Catalonia.

Let's not forget how at the christening of Estelle, parliamentarian and former President of the republican association, Birgitta Ohlsson was the only politician to curtsy to the Royal family. She quickly claimed it was done ironically but the problem is that no one else saw it as such.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

They just showed Prime minister Stefan Löfven and his wife Ulla (he in a dark suit and she in a black hat). Sitting behind them are three leaders of opposition parties Anna Kindberg Batra, Ebba Bush-Thor &Jimmy Åkesson, all very much caught up with their phones. Given the current political situation it's no wonder AKB is texting fast enough to put her fingers on fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bah, humbug!

Madeleine looks nice. Sofia not so much, but maybe it's just my impression.

Is it normal to sit for a hymn? :ermm:

The traditional hymn for Swedish christenings "Tryggare kan ingen vara". Very sweet but a nightmare to sing in tune.

Madeleine looks nice. Sofia not so much, but maybe it's just my impression.

Her gown has a great colour. But she should have done something with her hair and wore something different in it then such a big bow.

He couldn't have learned some Swedish? His son is a Swedish prince for goodness' sake! At least some phrases..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom