Royals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
here's the agenda for the prince and princess of asturias in beijing: click on mas informacion to see details (in spanish)

• Recepción de bienvenida al Equipo Olímpico Español: welcome reception to the spanish olympic team

Más información
  • Almuerzo a los dignatarios extranjeros asistentes a la ceremonia de inauguración de los XXIX Juegos Olímpicos, ofrecido por S.E. el Presidente de la República Popular China, Sr. Hu Jintao: welcome lunch for foreign representants by the president, hu jintao.

Más información
  • Ceremonia de inauguración de los XXIX Juegos Olímpicos: opening ceremony of the games

Más información
  • Almuerzo ofrecido por el Vicepresidente de la República Popular China, Sr. Xi Jinping: lunch by the vicepresident.

Más información

Princess Mary of Denmark smiles during the Australian Olympic team reception at the Sofitel Wanda ahead of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games on August 7, 2008 in Beijing, China.

Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

Mary looks radiant & beaming. Nice gesture of an aussie-girl-turned-into-danish-princess to see the Australian Team too. Fred becomes more and more a spitting image of his mother.

Did any of the Royals (other than CP of Denmark) bring their children ?

Felipe & Letizia left them at home and I doubt WA & Maxima will bring them along. Don't think Beijing is a place for small children to be around, only busy and hot and given the parents have to attend events they would end up with the full time nanny anyway (as they do at home now).

The Prince of Asturias encourages the sportsmen and sportswomen with a warm " a lot of luck and for them "

Videos
http://www.antena3noticias.com/PortalA3N/noticia/espana/Los-Principes-Asturias-llegan-Pekin/2130829

rtve.es/noticias - El Príncipe de Asturias anima a los deportistas con un caluroso "mucha suerte y a por ellos"

"Your hour of glory has come ", this way of enthusiast he has proved to be the prince Felipe in his speech before the athletes of the Olympic Spanish team in the House of Spain of Pekin. The last phrase of his speech has been to wish luck with the fervent one " a lot of luck and for them ".

Don Felipe has showed his confidence in the possibilities of the Spanish sportsmen. " The Spanish sport is in the best moment " and has added that all the medals harvested " are the best stimulus to continue in squall ".

Photos

http://www.20minutos.es/galeria/5084/0/0/letizia/felipe/juegos/

http://estaticos02.cache.el-mundo.net/yodona/imagenes/2008/08/07/1218099677_1.jpg

Belga
http://picture.belga.be/belgapicture/editorial/all/coverage/564992.html

ANP
http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?page=1&ShowPicture=7955718&pos=4
http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?page=1&ShowPicture=7955736&pos=3
http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?page=1&ShowPicture=7955842&pos=2
http://www.anp-photo.com/search.pp?page=1&ShowPicture=7955874&pos=1

You can see Constantine and Anne Marie of Greece betwen the guests

Video
http://www.elpais.com/videos/deport...stas/Pekin/elpepudep/20080807elpepudep_4/Ves/

The games got off to a good start today (well, for me, anyway ;) ), when Norway beat the US 2-0 in football. Both goals were scored within the first four minutes of the match, and even though there were big chances in the rest of the match, they were either over the goal, or the goalies kept in control.

This is a very good beginning of the games for Norway.
Congratulations - we (Sweden) did not do so well in our first game.

There are now millions more people that know what is going on in China - the impact of hosting the games also opens the eyes of the rest of the world to the host country. Use the games and the access to the country to educate and inform everyone that will listen - it will have a much more lasting impact than switching softdrinks.

felipe and letizia mentioned that they were suffering jetlag among their arrival to beijing and admitted the scorching heat. felipe said he expected 22 medals, letizia was also asked if she would have liked the cover the games as a journalist, to which she said it would be nice, but she is happy working as princess.

Doña Letizia: "Soy feliz siendo princesa" - 20minutos.es

i don't think the danish royals brought their children. i saw a photo of princess haya with her little girl but no one else (so far).

Mary looks radiant & beaming. Nice gesture of an aussie-girl-turned-into-danish-princess to see the Australian Team too. Fred becomes more and more a spitting image of his mother.

I anticipate this to become somewhat of a 'tradition', myself.

I think it's quite obvious that to Mary, maintaining an association with Australia is something quite important to her. And although she is no longer a citizen, her sense of pride in this country and it's interests is something entirely instinctive. Naturally so.

I think it's genuinely lovely that Mary, along with Frederik, feel so welcome amongst Australian's (as Frederik himself has stated in the past). I know that our olympians delight in their presence. A dual sense of pride, I think it safe to say.

I anticipate this to become somewhat of a 'tradition', myself.

I think it's quite obvious that to Mary, maintaining an association with Australia is something quite important to her. And although she is no longer a citizen, her sense of pride in this country and it's interests is something entirely instinctive. Naturally so.

I think it's genuinely lovely that Mary, along with Frederik, feel so welcome amongst Australian's (as Frederik himself has stated in the past). I know that our olympians delight in their presence. A dual sense of pride, I think it safe to say.

Yes, very natural. Usually people will feel a life long connection to the country they were born in and where their family roots are, no matter what passport they hold. I am sure Maxima will do the same and pass a visit to the argentine team.

Good point and well taken :):flowers: the more i'm seeing of the fine young people representing their countries, the more sentimental i feel. i hope it's all they hoped it would be, they shouldn't be the ones to suffer, now is their time to shine. I'm very proud of my countries pick for flag bearer and i'm sure every country has heartwarming stories to tell, i'm looking forward to reading them.

Former 'Lost Boy' to lead U.S. Olympians in Beijing - CNN.com
he was six years old when he was separated from his family, wandered and endured thousands of miles and spent 10 years in a refugee camp. IMO he's a champion, medal or not.

*quote from article
*A U.S. athlete who overcame the chaos of war in Sudan to become a middle-distance runner in the United States will carry the American flag during Friday's opening ceremony of the 2008 Summer Games.

*Teammates chose him Wednesday

*Lomong is a member of Team Darfur, a group of athletes committed to raising awareness about chronic violence in the Darfur region of western Sudan.
He was among roughly 3,800 refugees, dubbed the Lost Boys of Sudan by reporters and aid workers, who were resettled in cities around the United States.

*The Chinese government this week revoked the visa of Team Darfur's co-founder, former speedskating gold medalist Joey Cheek and activist for Darfur, the group said, without offering a reason

but then i read this and remember orwell's "doublespeak" and i have to bang my head.:bang:

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Beijing pollution efforts hailed

*quotes (my thoughts)
*He said there would be no danger to the health of athletes, despite continuing concerns about pollution levels

*BBC reading suggested Beijing's air quality was far below World Health Organization (WHO) standards. It put levels of particulate matter (PM10) at 191 micrograms per cubic metre. This far exceeds the WHO target of 50 micrograms/cubic metre, and also exceeds the WHO target for developing countries of 150 micrograms/cubic metre (OMG:eek:)

*Mr Rogge praised the Chinese authorities for having done "everything that is feasible and humanly possible to address this situation". "What they have done is extraordinary," (i have no doubt they've tried but....:ohmy:)

*"absolutely no danger" to the health of athletes taking part in events that last less than one hour (i'm sorry i don't understand this thinking, if it's bad, it's bad, it doesn't just turn bad at 61 minutes)

*Mr Rogge urged reporters to distinguish between fog and pollution - a point, correspondents say, often made by Chinese authorities. "The fog, you see, is based on the basis of humidity and heat. It does not mean that this fog is the same as pollution" (not doublespeak, its quadriple speak) ( i thought that was what smog is, fog mixed with pollution smog - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, somebody get this man a dictionary)

Wow wow beautiful photos on royal couple with King Constantine and Queen anne-Marie from Greece!!! They see out lovey dear friends at royal couple Felipe and Letizia!

Wow wow beautiful photos on royal couple with King Constantine and Queen anne-Marie from Greece!!! They see out lovey dear friends at royal couple Felipe and Letizia!

It is nice to see Prince Felipe and Princess Letiza with his Uncle King Constantine and Aunt Queen Anne Marie.

Such nice photos, all of them. Thanks for posting.:flowers:

The Princes of Asturias visit the center of RTVE's retransfers in Pekin

Photos
rtve.es/noticias - Fotos - Los Príncipes visitan las instalaciones de TVE en Pekín

The heir to the Spanish throne, Crown Prince Felipe and and his wife Spain's Princess Letizia visit the Main press Center (MPC) of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Wow. thanks for sharing those pictures Lula!

Is it odd that it seems only the family of Spain has been photoraphed so much?

Prince Albert and High jump legend Dick Fosbury officially open the Olympians Reunion Centre in Beijing on August 7, 2008. The Olympians Reunion Center is a salute to all Olympians, the living legends of sport and will be open during the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games
Daylife
Daylife
Albert and Charlene at the Monaco flag raising ceremony
Daylife
Felipe and Letizia yesterday with the spanish team
Daylife

Poses with Chinese President Hu Jintao before a reception in the Great Hall of the People on August 8, 2008 in Beijing
Prince Felipe and princess Letizia:
Getty Images
Princess Anne:
Getty Images
Thai Crown Princess Sirindhorn:
Getty Images

Last edited:
Felipe and Letizia at the Main Press Center
Daylife
Frederik at the flag raising ceremony
Daylife

Here´s a photo taken before the welcome banquet. It´s easy to see prince Felipe because he is so tall.
Zimbio
Princess Anne:
Zimbio
Zimbio

Felipe and Letizia at the banquet:
Getty Images

very appropriate, indeed, for letizia to wear red! :) i also loved seeing her curtsy to konstantin and anne-marie. nice to see them all geared up in the team's shirts and with the spanish official bags during their visit to RTVE. :)

mary looks lovely in what we have seen (so far, in one picture) with that colourful dress at the lunch with the president. i'm personally really looking forward to the pictures of the luncheon with all the international guests!

Back
Top Bottom