Royals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Letizia's dress, she looks amazing in it!!!
Really nice to see so many royals attended. Maxima and Willem seemed to be having a ball when the dutch sporters came with the dutch flag!!

These are some awesome pictures of the royals!!! Wish they'd all do a photo shoot together...but it wouldn't seem right since the Olympics are about the athlets. :flowers:

Tomorrow will be a Welcome lunch for Members of the Royal Families at Diaoyutai State Guest House, hosted by Vice President Xi Jinping, may be we can see a group photo!

Video:
Prince Frederik and Princess Mary meets the Australian team in Beijing
http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-au&brand=ninemsn&tab=m164

Last edited:
Am watching the live telecast now and have just seen the Princes of Asturias wave to the Spanish delegation. Letizia is wearing a white dress with bamboo(?) prints while Felipe has taken his jacket off and is wearing a blue tie. :D

And now my dad has turned off the TV. Bummer.

Too bad that you can't come over to my place as I will have the Olympics on the whole two weeks!
The Opening Ceremony won't be televised here in the USA until tonight, but it is a bummer as I don't think that the TV cameras will show many royals to American viewers.

The Grand Duchess María Teresa of Luxembourg has attended the ceremony of opening of the Olympic Games?

Maria teresa was with henri. I saw her with him in tv.

I saw during opening ceremony on TV: Constantine and Anne Marie, Philippe, Fred and Mary, Felipe and Letizia, Henri and Maria Teresa, Albert and Charlene, two Princesses Takamado and Tsuguko, Willem-Alexander and Maxi, Harald and Sonja (few times), Anne.

What are the prince and princess of orange waving in their photo?

Probably the delegation of sportsmen and sportswomen of the Netherlands.

Beautiful photos!!!!!!!

Princess Nathalie of Berleburg is also attending as an athlete

I'd assume thats right, I certainly read a picture caption for F&L which said that, at any rate :)

sgl was asking what they were waving. and they were waving orange scarfs (as someone mentioned before) and they were aving at the netherlands team coming out.

Thanks Amelie - both Mari and I read the question wrong, my mistake.

I briefly saw Queen Sonja of Norway when they showed the President (or some leader... I'm not sure) of Japan. She was sitting next to or near him. Of course, they did not mention her but I saw her and said "That's the Queen of Norway!" No other royals have been shown or mentioned so far, except for the ones from the UAE.

Good point and well taken :):flowers: the more i'm seeing of the fine young people representing their countries, the more sentimental i feel. i hope it's all they hoped it would be, they shouldn't be the ones to suffer, now is their time to shine. I'm very proud of my countries pick for flag bearer and i'm sure every country has heartwarming stories to tell, i'm looking forward to reading them.

Former 'Lost Boy' to lead U.S. Olympians in Beijing - CNN.com
he was six years old when he was separated from his family, wandered and endured thousands of miles and spent 10 years in a refugee camp. IMO he's a champion, medal or not.

*quote from article
*A U.S. athlete who overcame the chaos of war in Sudan to become a middle-distance runner in the United States will carry the American flag during Friday's opening ceremony of the 2008 Summer Games.

*Teammates chose him Wednesday

*Lomong is a member of Team Darfur, a group of athletes committed to raising awareness about chronic violence in the Darfur region of western Sudan.
He was among roughly 3,800 refugees, dubbed the Lost Boys of Sudan by reporters and aid workers, who were resettled in cities around the United States.

*The Chinese government this week revoked the visa of Team Darfur's co-founder, former speedskating gold medalist Joey Cheek and activist for Darfur, the group said, without offering a reason

but then i read this and remember orwell's "doublespeak" and i have to bang my head.:bang:

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | Beijing pollution efforts hailed

*quotes (my thoughts)
*He said there would be no danger to the health of athletes, despite continuing concerns about pollution levels

*BBC reading suggested Beijing's air quality was far below World Health Organization (WHO) standards. It put levels of particulate matter (PM10) at 191 micrograms per cubic metre. This far exceeds the WHO target of 50 micrograms/cubic metre, and also exceeds the WHO target for developing countries of 150 micrograms/cubic metre (OMG:eek:)

*Mr Rogge praised the Chinese authorities for having done "everything that is feasible and humanly possible to address this situation". "What they have done is extraordinary," (i have no doubt they've tried but....:ohmy:)

*"absolutely no danger" to the health of athletes taking part in events that last less than one hour (i'm sorry i don't understand this thinking, if it's bad, it's bad, it doesn't just turn bad at 61 minutes)

*Mr Rogge urged reporters to distinguish between fog and pollution - a point, correspondents say, often made by Chinese authorities. "The fog, you see, is based on the basis of humidity and heat. It does not mean that this fog is the same as pollution" (not doublespeak, its quadriple speak) ( i thought that was what smog is, fog mixed with pollution smog - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, somebody get this man a dictionary)

Rogge though is saying that the haze is 'fog'".

You are saying that it is fog plus pollution making it 'smog'.

Fog isn't the same thing as smog. Fog can occur in any place regardless of pollution levels even in rural areas with no industry.

Smog can only occur with pollution.

Rogge is describing the haze as fog, which my brother who is there is also saying it is - fog.

Smog is a different thing and is not naturally occuring.

You own definitions show the difference - defining smog as fog+pollution.

Therefore fog can occur without pollution.

King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie are sitting in the row in front of Albert and Charlene -- a few seats away!

It's so great to see the national pride that all of the royals have ... that picture of Willem-Alexander and Maxima waving their orange scarves is just excellent. The Olympics are such a happy time. :)

Also, Letizia's dress is gorgeous! Gosh, I wish I had one just like it!

I heard today that the pollution is also exacerbated right now by extreme humidity, as Mr. Rogge said, and by dust from the Gobi desert. Hard to get rid of either of those things!

I'm so moved by these opening ceremonies. It goes to show that Olympic ideals really can overcome political tensions for the briefest moment, even though they're really roiling right now in some areas of the world. Also, the little Chinese earthquake survivor who walked with Yao Ming had me in tears ... what a brave little boy!

Back
Top Bottom