The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal International Events

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-16-2008, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

I expect Iņaki was just itching to get up there and play! Sofia seemed to be having a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn
Sofia, Cristina and Inaki Urdangarin at a handball match between Spain and France.
Daylife
Iīm sure it was painful for Inaki - Spain lost.
I admire all the spanish royals for wearing the clothes of team Spain while supporting their athletes.
That first picture of Queen Sofia is hilarious!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyBrat View Post
It'll be Gonzalez vs Blake and Djokovic vs Nadal.
Blake should've won, because the ball clearly hit Gonzalez's racket before bouncing out! But G didn't own-up to it and the Ref wouldn't change his call. NBCOlympics.com - Blake loses shot at gold Then he lost his Bronze medal match. http://www.nbcolympics.com/tennis/ne...s+blake+bronze I wouldn't hold it against Blake if his heart just wasn't in it for that game.

NBCOlympics.com - Shooter fails doping test; U.S. gets bronze
I heard a quick blip about this on the news and went to my Dad who shoots. I was wondering what exactly one would take drug-wise that could possible give you an advantage in Shooting! Of all the sports one could cheat at with drug use, SHOOTING?!

I'll be glad when NBC leaves the Water Cube. They've spent so much time there I'm starting to get sea-sick!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Serene Highness

thanks for all the links... it didn't take Queen Silvia and King Carl Gustaf long to catch the olympic romantic spirit, didn't they meet at the olympics too? i enjoy these natural photos so much, thanks again.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:54 AM
Royal Highness

Prince Albert II of Monaco and his girlfriend Charlene Wittstock sit with the Spanish Olympic delegation to watch the Men semi Final opposing Spain's Rafael Nadal to Serbia Novak Djokovic at the Olympic Green Tennis Center in Beijing, China on August 15, 2008
Abaca Press Americas Search Results
Old 08-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

The individual Grand Prix Special is just over and Princess Nathalie and Digby are qualified for the individual final on Tuesday, the Grand Prix Kür where she will ride to music from "West Side Story" They are currently on 12th place, again the best Danes.

A little earlier today, also evening time in China, King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia watched Thomas Johansson and Simon Aspelin take the silver medal while Switzerland's Stanislas Wawrinka and Roger Federer took the gold in the men's double tennis.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia watching tennis -Tomas Johansson and Simon Aspelin lost the Olympic final with 3-1 in menīs double against Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka, Switzerland.
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank Silvia is excited
ANP Beeldbank
Iīm so happy that Roger Federer got his olympic gold, he is such a great tennis player and great athlete!
Queen Sofia watching athletics
20minutos
Sofia, Cristina and Inaki
Rtve
Diario de Navarra
Sofia and Cristina with Spanish gold medalist at menīs point cycling at the velodrome, Joan Llaneras
Marca
Old 08-16-2008, 01:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Fantastic, Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka won gold!
Daylife
Daylife
Daylife
Daylife
Daylife
Daylife
Usain Bolt was just unbelievable at the menīs 100 hundred meters - new brilliant world record even though he started celebrating already while he was running.
Daylife

I like to watch sport a lot, so olympics are royal time to me. I like especially athletics, tennis, gymnastics and rowing. At these olympics I have noticed that shooting can be very exciting, I have been watching a lot of shooting competitions.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:39 PM
Serene Highness

Thanks for the informations and links LadyFinn!

Don't official welcome ceremony of the Olympic Organisation for the Swedish royal couple in the heatquater yesterday or today?
Old 08-16-2008, 03:51 PM

Prince Sebastien and Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg
RTLNews.lu
Old 08-16-2008, 05:28 PM
Nobility

Great day for us 4Gold also silver and four bronze medals ...come on GB!!!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellad View Post
Saw that too Marmi and weren't they ecstatic over the victory.

Stellad
They were, it was great to see. I was just feeling such an incredible mix of emotions after last night. Wow.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyPrincess168 View Post
I'll be glad when NBC leaves the Water Cube. They've spent so much time there I'm starting to get sea-sick!
You are funny -- sea-sick! I love people's comments that are so light hearted. But, swimming is a good part of the Summer Olympics. My favorite will be coming up soon -- Track and Field -- love all that running, etc. Most people don't, but that is OK.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wow what a night NZ had last night! The media had dubbed it 'Super Saturday' mid-week. We won 2 golds 1 silver and 2 bronze medals. We had held high hopes that one of the bronze medals would be a gold, but poor Mahe Drysdale was sick earlier in the week and lost 4kg in 4 days, and was given fluid intravelously. He was extremely ill after his race, then stood up to collect his medal! It felt like a 'Cool runnings' moment...
We are very proud of him.

Also a big day because it was the first time ever that NZ has won 5 olympic medals in one day!
Old 08-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Courtier

Wonderful day for New Zealand -- 5 medals in one day. Loved your country when I was there in 1991 for a month -- beautiful and kind people.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:12 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

And Phelps officially breaks Mark Spitz's record -- I still have chills from watching that last relay!

"I have to be seen to be believed."
HM The Queen
Old 08-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks Winnie, thats great to hear, pleased you enjoyed it!

Still on a NZ note, the amazing triathlete Sam Warriner (yes, I am biased, I do know her, great woman) has a youtube channel of her own, and has been updating it for the last 98 days, logging her bid for the Olympics. Anyone who wants to see what goes into a bid for the Olympic gold, check it out here.
Dont be daunted that there are literally hundreds of clips, many of them are less than a minute, and the most significant (to me at least) are all at least 3 minutes, and these are the ones where she describes how she's feeling and what she's been doing. Sam also has her own website, there's a link on the youtube page.

GOOD LUCK SAM!!!!!
Old 08-17-2008, 02:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia at women's handball preliminary match between Sweden and Brazil
Daylife
Daylife
Expressen
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank

Queen Sofia, Infanta Cristina and Inaki Urdangarin support Ruano Pascual Virginia and Medina Garrigues Anabel during the Semi Final of Tennis
MCT International
Sofia and Cristina supporting cyclist Llaneras at the velodrome
As
Old 08-17-2008, 03:28 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
thanks for all the links... it didn't take Queen Silvia and King Carl Gustaf long to catch the olympic romantic spirit, didn't they meet at the olympics too? i enjoy these natural photos so much, thanks again.
Yes they met in Munich 1972 where Silvia worked as a VIP hostess.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:01 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFinn View Post
Infanta Cristina and Inaki Urdangarin support Ruano Pascual Virginia and Medina Garrigues Anabel during the Semi Final of Tennis
MCT International
Sofia and Cristina supporting cyclist Llaneras at the velodrome
As
I understand the SRF take turns in going to China to support their delegation. Good to see the Queen and Cristina enjoying the games. Will ELena come to China?
Old 08-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Royal Highness

It has been a great Sunday morning for Denmark
One bronze and two gold medals.
One of the gold medals was for the 49'er boat - which started as a true drama. The Danish boat broke its mast on the way to the starting line - and when the race started the Danes who were leading the competition were not included. Thankfully, Croatia lent them their boat - and Denmark managed to finish as no. 7 in spite of a much later start - and keep their gold medal

- it was a weird scenario and protests are coming in now because conditions were so rough at sea that many boats capsized. So perhaps it will mean that the whole race will have to start anew.

Still, a huge thank you to Croatia - bet there is free beer for all the Croatian sailing team tonight

Tags
beijing 2008, olympic games, olympics, summer olympics