Royals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good topic!

I like the swimming events (can't go wrong with Michael Phelps and the Thorpedo!) and gymnastics the most. I'm getting into horseback riding, and now that Princess Nathalie is involved in those, I'm going to follow them closer. I'm sad that Zara Phillips isn't going to be involved!

I'm a big Olympics fan. I love all aquatics, especially swimming and diving. The USA should have a good chance of winning, I think, with people like Michael Phelps participating. I also love gymnastics, beach volleyball, water polo, handball, track events, combined events, table tennis:D, tennis, and football (soccer). It will be fun to watch, seeing as NBC here in America is basically going to have coverage 24/7, through t.v. and the internet.

I think Russia, China, and the United States will take home the most medals.

I believe these are the last Olympics for Softball. I am not sure about baseball.
Having spent the last Olympics as a volunteer in Athens I have extra interest in these Games to make comparisons. Let the Games begin!!!!

I believe these are the last Olympics for Softball. I am not sure about baseball.
Having spent the last Olympics as a volunteer in Athens I have extra interest in these Games to make comparisons. Let the Games begin!!!!

It's the last games for both softball and baseball :flowers: I guess they haven't been able to scounge up enough interest in it worldwide, and the fact that Olympic Baseball has never reached the interest level level of the American "world" series in the States, and the best players aren't sent, as with the NBA, is probably also one of the reasons.

They can both return for the 2016 games, if they receive enough votes in the IOC, and no other sports take their place.

Equestrian for sure and Gymnastics. The air quality in Beijing is worrying though.

I'm sad that Zara Phillips isn't going to be involved!

I forgot about that! I was looking forward to watching her. Did the Onassis heir (Athina?) every succeed in her quest to ride for Greece in the Olympics?

I'm most into handball, but primarely womens handball, the mens handball is just too brutal for me, so I'm really sad that the our national ladies team aren't going especially since they've won the last tre olympics:-( I guess our mens national team might be in the top 5 and may even win though.. And I think we'll take som medals in sailing and perhaps athletics too.. But one things for sure; Denmark wont be the country to take the most medals:) I'm betting on united states, russia and china too..

If you go to the Olympics' website you can also see the amazing venues Beijing has prepared for the Olympics. The arena the basketball games will be held in is covered with metal that not only is energy-efficient but also looks cool (the metal is sort of a symbolic blend of new China-the energy efficient metal and old China- the metal kind of looks like giant pieces of bamboo). The National Aquatics Center, aka the Watercube, is the venue for the swimming events. It glows in different colors and is made out of a lot of air bubbles.

The spotlight venue in this Olympics, and the one that is already getting cheers and jeers, is the National Stadium, aka "the Bird's Nest". Designed by famed Swiss architectural firm Herzog and DeMeuron, the building will host the athletic events (track and field, etc) and soccer. It is called the bird's nest because the exterior is covered with tons of metal poles layered in all different directions, just like a bird's nest. Personally, I like it. Here's a link to an image.

For events, I'm looking forward to watching gymnastics (always fun to watch), swimming (go Phelps!), rowing (crew) and as always, the Opening and Closing ceremonies (my favorites!). This year I am also excited about the sailing competition because I know one of the women who will be competing.

Well I guess you could actually say that handball is a sort of european football but with hands, yes, only they score more goals (and to me that makes it more exiting) and there are a lot of rules that are different from football (for example there's no off-side rules but instead none of the field players can step into the area around the goal.) Also you are only alowed to take three steps with the ball or you have to drible (I think that is also the case in basketball?). I don't see many similarities with dodgeball though. It is also a quite rough sport and the second most popular sport in denmark next to football.

I only mentioned Dodgeball because in some of the photos the players looked like they were going to whip the ball at a person (as in dodgeball) rather than pass it to them.:lol: Can dodgeball be an Olympic sport?!

For events, I'm looking forward to watching gymnastics (always fun to watch), swimming (go Phelps!), rowing (crew) and as always, the Opening and Closing ceremonies (my favorites!). This year I am also excited about the sailing competition because I know one of the women who will be competing.

If you had to choose between the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, which one is your favorite? I think I'd chose the Closing Ceremonies cause it always looks like a great party (especially the Salt Lake City, Utah and Sydney Australia OGs).

I am looking forward to running and swimming events, tennis ( always love this sport) , handball and of course the opening and closing ceremonies. I don't know which one i would choose if I had to choose one. I was supposed to go to Beijing but unfortunately I won't go .

It's the last games for both softball and baseball :flowers: I guess they haven't been able to scounge up enough interest in it worldwide, and the fact that Olympic Baseball has never reached the interest level level of the American "world" series in the States, and the best players aren't sent, as with the NBA, is probably also one of the reasons.

They can both return for the 2016 games, if they receive enough votes in the IOC, and no other sports take their place.

The China and Taiwan softball teams were very strong in the 2004 games. However the US team dominated the games from the start. The Canadian team had the loveliest friendliest girls and coaches with them. Wish them all good luck.

If you had to choose between the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, which one is your favorite? I think I'd chose the Closing Ceremonies cause it always looks like a great party (especially the Salt Lake City, Utah and Sydney Australia OGs).

It is a toss up. They are both extremely emotional and if I could, I would not miss either. I saw both in Athens and cannot choose. They were both,( one full of hopes the other full of nostalgia), unique.

From Volleyball @ AVP.COM: News: AVP.com : "They (Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Trainer) will be meeting President George W. Bush on Monday night with 12 other athletes, including Phil Dalhausser and Todd Rogers, two of the four U.S. team's men's beach volleyball representatives." :w00t2:Beach volleyball players make up one fourth of the invited athletes!:w00t2:

I had heard about this over the weekend watching pro-beach volleyball on tv, but they said there would be only 8 other Olympic athletes attending. They said Todd Rogers only owned one suit that was a gift from his brother five or six years ago, so he felt it was time to upgrade! He got a new suit, shirts and ties. The announcers also said that Todd Rogers' wife declined to attend because she doesn't like/approve of the President. While I agree with her opinion of the President, I think she should attend to support her husband, support his sport, his Olympic hopes, and because it's such a RARE opportunity to be invited to dinner at The White House!

From Volleyball @ AVP.COM: News: AVP.com : "They (Kerri Walsh and Misty May-Trainer) will be meeting President George W. Bush on Monday night with 12 other athletes, including Phil Dalhausser and Todd Rogers, two of the four U.S. team's men's beach volleyball representatives." The announcers also said that Todd Rogers' wife declined to attend because she doesn't like/approve of the President.
The specific announcer corrected himself on the next day's show saying Todd Rogers' wasn't attending because she didn't want to deal with the travel hassles, not because she didn't like the Prez.

Is anyone going to be boycotting the Olympics? I don't support China's human rights violations, so I won't be giving NBC or any the sponsors my time or money.

Well I wasn't planning to go to the olympics anyway, but I think I will watch some of it anyway. However I will be lighting candles in my windows at the night of the opening for Tibet (a facebook group came up with this idea).

I'm not going, but that's more of a financial decision than a political one. I will be watching though. I think it'll be very interesting to watch - I've been following stories of what China is trying to do to "beautify" their country for the Olympics. They seem like mostly "band-aid" solutions meant to mask the problem for the duration of the Olympics rather than solve the problem in the long run (like air pollution). It also seems like the government is wound so tight that something is bound to snap, break or fail. It's like an elaborate house of cards, ready to fall. Besides, the spirit of Olympic sport is supposed to rise above the politics of the countries participating.

I'm not going, but that's more of a financial decision than a political one. I will be watching though. I think it'll be very interesting to watch - I've been following stories of what China is trying to do to "beautify" their country for the Olympics. They seem like mostly "band-aid" solutions meant to mask the problem for the duration of the Olympics rather than solve the problem in the long run (like air pollution). It also seems like the government is wound so tight that something is bound to snap, break or fail. It's like an elaborate house of cards, ready to fall. Besides, the spirit of Olympic sport is supposed to rise above the politics of the countries participating.

I expect plenty of demonstrations to occur, even if the government is actively trying to snuff them out. Beijing even tried to find away to get rid of the homeless for the duration of the Olympics. I can't remember where I read that, but it stuck out at me.

China's human rights stances and the numerous violations they have inflicted are just insane. This is almost as bad as when they gave Nazi Germany the Olympics in 1936.

Official confirmation that Frederik & Mary will be attending the Olympic Games:
H.K.H. Kronprinsen er til stede ved OL i Beijing i perioden 4.-19. august.
H.K.H. Kronprinsessen er til stede ved OL i Beijing i perioden 7.-13. august.
HRH the Crown Prince will attend the Olympics in Beijing between August 4 and 19.
HRH the Crown Princess will attend the Olympics in Beijing between August 7 and 13.

Kongehuset - Aktuelt - Kalender

Last edited:
I think that Pierre Casiraghi might visit it. He visit The Olympic Games in Torino, so I think he could visit China, but who know??

He might, but when he went to Torino he was with Prince Albert, and he had competed in the winter olympics when he was younger, so there's a slim possibility. I expect Charlene Wittstock will be at the Olympics as a spectator, and Albert may accompany her. I think this will be her first year not competing.

so far, we have:

NORWAY: Harald, Sonja and Haakon (no MM?)
DENMARK: Frederik and Mary
THE NETHERLANDS: WA and Maxima
SWEDEN: CG and Silvia
SPAIN: Felipe and Letizia
GREAT BRITAIN: Princess Anne

I remember seing many royals in the last olympics at Athens supporting their teams, sportsman and sportswomen, I really hope to see it again! :)

Back
Top Bottom