Mathilde and Philippe ??????????????
I wonder that ,too.

Does anyone know?

Old 04-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Aristocracy

What about Asian royals? Esp. Brunei?

Old 04-16-2008, 03:50 AM
Aristocracy

maybe some Brunei royals will also be present. at least, we hope!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 AM
Aristocracy

Also swedish royals attend:

Queen Silvia and King Carl Gustaf are in Beijing from 14. August to 24. August.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 AM
Nobility

And the luxembourg royals?? will they go?? anyone know about that??
Old 06-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Crown Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia will attend the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics on August 8 in representation of Spain.
The confirmation of the popular couple’s official presence at what looks like being one of the most controversial openings of recent times, came in the wake of a meeting in the Spanish capital between President José Luis Zapatero and China’s minister for foreign affairs, Yang Jiechi. “Spain is China’s best friend in the European Union,” said a beaming Jiechi, who urged Sr Zapatero to try to convince his more squeamish counterparts in Europe to follow Spain’s example by not mixing sport with politics.
(source: tenerifenews)
Old 06-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Courtier

Crown Princess Mary said that the family will be visiting Tasmania this year, perhaps they will meet up with the Crown Prince during the Olympics and continue onto Australia.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:07 AM
Nobility

I think that Pierre Casiraghi might visit it. He visit The Olympic Games in Torino, so I think he could visit China, but who know??
Old 07-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross1 View Post
Crown Princess Mary said that the family will be visiting Tasmania this year, perhaps they will meet up with the Crown Prince during the Olympics and continue onto Australia.
This has been confirmed, see this thread
Old 07-17-2008, 06:54 AM
Royal Highness

Beijing Olympics - 08-08-08

I can't tell you how excited I am for the upcoming Summer Olympics! I even took time off of work so I can watch as much as possible. Anyways, i thought we should have a general discussion topic about it.

What are your favorite sports? (beach vollyball and gymnastics are mine - that reminds me I have to go see if they have chosen the rest of the women's team)
How do you think the home country will fare in the medal count? (I'm gonna guess they'll be in the top 5)
Do you anticipate anything non-sports-related happening during the Games? (protests, earthquake, etc)
Old 07-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Courtier

Good topic!

I like the swimming events (can't go wrong with Michael Phelps and the Thorpedo!) and gymnastics the most. I'm getting into horseback riding, and now that Princess Nathalie is involved in those, I'm going to follow them closer. I'm sad that Zara Phillips isn't going to be involved!
His sense of responsibility is not less than yours or mine. How could we tell right from wrong as simple people in any kind of situation? How could we know that our courage, loyalty and lives were not misused for evil purposes?
Old 07-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Royal Highness

I'm a big Olympics fan. I love all aquatics, especially swimming and diving. The USA should have a good chance of winning, I think, with people like Michael Phelps participating. I also love gymnastics, beach volleyball, water polo, handball, track events, combined events, table tennis, tennis, and football (soccer). It will be fun to watch, seeing as NBC here in America is basically going to have coverage 24/7, through t.v. and the internet.

I think Russia, China, and the United States will take home the most medals.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

The official olympic site has a schedule of the events: Competition Schedule - The Official Website of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

It is interesting that football actually starts two days before the opening ceremony.

It will be some very busy days. I'll be at home with my parents (and their cable tv ) for parts of it, which may definitely help keep me up to date.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I believe these are the last Olympics for Softball. I am not sure about baseball.
Having spent the last Olympics as a volunteer in Athens I have extra interest in these Games to make comparisons. Let the Games begin!!!!
Old 07-18-2008, 02:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
I believe these are the last Olympics for Softball. I am not sure about baseball.
Having spent the last Olympics as a volunteer in Athens I have extra interest in these Games to make comparisons. Let the Games begin!!!!
It's the last games for both softball and baseball I guess they haven't been able to scounge up enough interest in it worldwide, and the fact that Olympic Baseball has never reached the interest level level of the American "world" series in the States, and the best players aren't sent, as with the NBA, is probably also one of the reasons.

They can both return for the 2016 games, if they receive enough votes in the IOC, and no other sports take their place.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

Equestrian for sure and Gymnastics. The air quality in Beijing is worrying though.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:38 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by morhange View Post
I'm sad that Zara Phillips isn't going to be involved!
I forgot about that! I was looking forward to watching her. Did the Onassis heir (Athina?) every succeed in her quest to ride for Greece in the Olympics?
Old 07-19-2008, 04:56 AM
Commoner

I'm most into handball, but primarely womens handball, the mens handball is just too brutal for me, so I'm really sad that the our national ladies team aren't going especially since they've won the last tre olympics:-( I guess our mens national team might be in the top 5 and may even win though.. And I think we'll take som medals in sailing and perhaps athletics too.. But one things for sure; Denmark wont be the country to take the most medals:-) I'm betting on united states, russia and china too..
Old 07-19-2008, 05:39 AM
Royal Highness

What is handball? Is that like US Basketball or more like water polo on land? Maybe Soccer/Football except with your hands? Or a more dangerous form of Dodgeball? It's hard to tell from photos! 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics - Handball | Athlete, Team Profiles, Videos & Photos | NBC Olympics

A little update on the US Gymnastics front:
NBCOlympics.com - Women's selection camp: Day 1
NBCOlympics.com - Hamm ready to put his hand to the test
Old 07-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

If you go to the Olympics' website you can also see the amazing venues Beijing has prepared for the Olympics. The arena the basketball games will be held in is covered with metal that not only is energy-efficient but also looks cool (the metal is sort of a symbolic blend of new China-the energy efficient metal and old China- the metal kind of looks like giant pieces of bamboo). The National Aquatics Center, aka the Watercube, is the venue for the swimming events. It glows in different colors and is made out of a lot of air bubbles.

The spotlight venue in this Olympics, and the one that is already getting cheers and jeers, is the National Stadium, aka "the Bird's Nest". Designed by famed Swiss architectural firm Herzog and DeMeuron, the building will host the athletic events (track and field, etc) and soccer. It is called the bird's nest because the exterior is covered with tons of metal poles layered in all different directions, just like a bird's nest. Personally, I like it. Here's a link to an image.

For events, I'm looking forward to watching gymnastics (always fun to watch), swimming (go Phelps!), rowing (crew) and as always, the Opening and Closing ceremonies (my favorites!). This year I am also excited about the sailing competition because I know one of the women who will be competing.

Tags
beijing 2008, olympic games, olympics, summer olympics