Royals at the 2008 Beijing Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The television announcer here in the USA said that Queen Silvia was at the Women's Triathalon --- as far as I know, the TV cameras never showed a picture of her.

I see, Winnie, so Mark Spitz recognizes Michael is better at least in that area, he dominates all four strokes the shark from Baltimore. The face of Michael is so different to a shark, couldn´t it be a dolphin? The Baltimore dolphin, I prefer that.

I am so happy that Roger Federer won gold for his country! :flowers:

The way he swung his arms around before his dive reminded be of otters or dolphins not sharks.

Last edited:
And let's just continue with the ridiculousness and controversial scoring:

1. In the womens vault final a chinese gymnast took the broze medal after falling on her knees on the second vault, while the American gymnast who came in fourth landed both of her vaults with grace, and had very few deductions for any mistakes.

NBCOlympics.com - Twists and Turns in Event Finals

2. In the uneven bars finals, American Nastia Liukin and the youngest looking (of course) chinese gymnast scored the exact same score. But the gave the gold medal to the chinese gymnast. Normally in the olympics, they would have awarded two golds and a broze. However they gave Nastia Liukin a silver. Disgusting!

NBCOlympics.com - Complex road to silver

And...

The chinese women that participated in the opening ceremonies had to parade around naked in from of officials before they were chosen to make sure that they all had the same type of body and that their bodies were free of blemishes. They all had to have the same measurements. AND.. the men who participated in the tai chi (?), drummers and the moveable boxes were all forced to wear diapers during rehearsal and during the event, as they were not allowed to leave the field to go to the restroom:

TH - Opinion Article
Soldiers wore diapers for seven-hour stint at Olympic opening / Japan News Junkie

Verplicht uit de kleren voor Spelen - Buitenland - Telegraaf.nl [24 uur actueel, ook mobiel] [buitenland]

You are funny -- sea-sick! I love people's comments that are so light hearted. But, swimming is a good part of the Summer Olympics. My favorite will be coming up soon -- Track and Field -- love all that running, etc. Most people don't, but that is OK.

A friend turned to me in church on Sunday and said she was surprised to see me there because she thought I'd stay up late to watch Phelps race for his 8th gold medal. I replied "If you've seen seven, you seen the 8th.". And the media still won't shut up about it! The 'Today Show' on NBC this morning should have been renamed 'The Michael Phelps Show' because that's virtually all they talked about with the exception of the US women's eights winning gold which hasn't been done since 1984. Congrats to them!:clap:
NBCOlympics.com - U.S. women's eight wins gold

Prince Albert II of Monaco and his girlfriend Charlene Wittstock support South African team and Michael Phelps during the 4X100m men's medley final at the National Aquatic Center on Day 9 of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games on August 17, 2008.
Abaca Press Americas Search Results

Queen Sofia, Infanta Cristina, Inaki Urdangarin and Grand Duke Henri watching men´s tennis Nadal-Gonzalez
IBL Bildbyrå
As
Queen Sofia and Inaki Urdangarin visit TVE
FormulaTV
FormulaTV
FormulaTV
Rafael Nadal greets Queen Sofia after winning the gold medal
DiezMinutos
King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia watching men´s tennis, the double final
IBL Bildbyrå
Princess Haya and IOC President Jacques Rogge at the event of the Individual Jumping (3rd Qualifier) at the Equestrian Venue at Sha Tin Hong Kong.
IBL Bildbyrå
Prince Albert and Charlene Wittstock at the event of the Individual Jumping (3rd Qualifier) at the Equestrian Venue at Sha Tin Hong Kong.
IBL Bildbyrå
Daylife
Princess Royal gives the gold medal to Australia's Nathan Wilmot and Malcolm Page after winning the gold medal for the 470 Men sailing competition
Daylife
Queen Sonja visits the art district Dashanzi 798 in Beijing
SeegerPress
SeegerPress
SeegerPress
SeegerPress
Video / Queen Sofia and Inaki Urdangarin at the Olympic Village
El Pais

And let's just continue with the ridiculousness and controversial scoring:

1. In the womens vault final a chinese gymnast took the broze medal after falling on her knees on the second vault, while the American gymnast who came in fourth landed both of her vaults with grace, and had very few deductions for any mistakes.

NBCOlympics.com - Twists and Turns in Event Finals

2. In the uneven bars finals, American Nastia Liukin and the youngest looking (of course) chinese gymnast scored the exact same score. But the gave the gold medal to the chinese gymnast. Normally in the olympics, they would have awarded two golds and a broze. However they gave Nastia Liukin a silver. Disgusting!

The commentator in Australia explained that gymnastics has introduced a countback system to prevent double ups of medals in any event - so please don't blame the Chinese for this one. It is on the FIG no the BOGOC.

No, I'm not blaming the Chinese, they are just the lucky recipients of such a windfall, in several instances so far. I don't know if that is the case in other Olympic years, but it just compounds all of the other problems with these games thus far. The countback system is in fact not official as far as I can tell, and gymnastics is also one of the only, if not the only, sport in the Olympics that uses this.

Actually, the FIG spokesperson said that he does not agree with this decision either. Let me see if I can go dig up that article.

No, I'm not blaming the Chinese, they are just the lucky recipients of such a windfall, in several instances so far. I don't know if that is the case in other Olympic years, but it just compounds all of the other problems with these games thus far. The countback system is in fact not official as far as I can tell, and gymnastics is also one of the only, if not the only, sport in the Olympics that uses this.

Actually, the FIG spokesperson said that he does not agree with this decision either. Let me see if I can go dig up that article.

This is the link to the article on ESPN ESPN - China's He captures gold in uneven bars, American Liukin silver - Olympics "But the International Olympic Committee told the FIG to stop sharing medals after the Atlanta Games, and a tiebreak system was implemented in 1997." From this comment it is clear that our Australian commentator got the information wrong about who initiated this decision.

I think the fact that it affected an American gymnast has brought it more to the fore this time, although I don't remember it happening before so it maybe that the policy has been in place but hasn't actually had to be applied in Sydney and Athens. On further reading this is the first time the tie-breaker has been used even though it has been in for 11 years.

most people in china think Shawn Johnson better than liukin

Let's not forget that some of the Chinese gymnasts involved in these judgement-impaired finals are part of the controversy concerning underage Chinese gymnasts. I think that if you discount/disqualify the Chinese (team & individuals), the US has done pretty darn good at these Games! In my mind, there will always be a little asterick '*' next to the Chinese women's gymnastics medals.

The real problem is with the judging. Because there were athletes from the powerhouse gymnastic countries like Russia, Romania, China and USA in the high-bar final, there can be no judges from those countries judging the final, so that the results are "impartial". But as the US conmentators mentioned, this leads to a situation where they are left with judges from countries that don't have a high-level gymnastic program or have never won an Olympic medal in Gymnastics to judge these event finals, and so they aren't as good at judging. Clearly this is causing problems in judging & scoring.

The BBC showed footage today during the Men's high jump final of the the King and Queen of Sweden and Prince Carl Philip. On the row on front was Queen Sofia and Infanta Crisitina with her husband Inaki Urdangarin. The BBC commmented that the Swedish royals had come along to support the high jumpers

The BBC showed footage today during the Men's high jump final of the the King and Queen of Sweden and Prince Carl Philip. On the row on front was Queen Sofia and Infanta Crisitina with her husband Inaki Urdangarin. The BBC commmented that the Swedish royals had come along to support the high jumpers
Yes, there was quite an impressive number of royals present at the athletics this afternoon: King Carl Gustaf, Queen Silvia, Prince Carl Philip, King Constantine, Queen Anne-Marie, Prince Philippos, Princess Theodora, Crown Prince Frederik, Queen Sofia, Infanta Cristina and the Duke of Palma de Mallorca.

King Constantine even borrowed a Swedish flag from Queen Silvia and waved with it for a bit :D Swedish high jumper Stefan Holm failed to defend his Olympic gold from 2004, this was his last big championship as he's getting old and his body cannot take more :sad:

King Carl Gustaf, Queen Silvia, King Constantine, Queen Anne-Marie, Queen Sofia, Infanta Cristina and Inaki Urdangarin attend the athletics competition
Daylife
King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia cheer their team before women's handball quarterfinal match against Norway
Daylife

King Carl Gustaf, Queen Silvia, King Constantine, Queen Anne-Marie, Queen Sofia, Infanta Cristina and Inaki Urdangarin attend the athletics competition
Daylife
King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia cheer their team before women's handball quarterfinal match against Norway
Daylife

Thanks Lady Finn. What a gathering!!!!! They look like they really like each other....Queen Silvia and King Constantine seem like they are good friends.:flowers:

you can see Prince Carl Philip and Crown prince Frederik on the first pic, can't we.??

Princess Benedikte greets Infanta Pilar De Borbon during the Individual Dressage Final Grand Prix Freestyle
Getty Images
Princess Benedikte
Getty Images
Queen Sofia, Infanta Cristina and Inaki Urdangarin attending the synchonized swimming competition and cheering for the spanish duet team of Andrea Fuentes and Gemma Mengual
IBL Bildbyrå
Princess Haya inspects the course before the start of the Individual Jumping
IBL Bildbyrå
Princess Haya and Prince Albert present the team medals after The Individual Jumping
IBL Bildbyrå
IBL Bildbyrå
IBL Bildbyrå
King Carl Gustaf, Queen Silvia, Prince Carl Philip and King Constantine watching athletics
Aftonbladet

OPA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Greece has (as of last night) three medals. No gold but a total of three..........Not bad at all...........:clap::clap::clap:

The photo of Constantine with the flag of Sweden, he is joking with the Queen Sofia.
Towards a long time since I did not see a photo of Constantine with his sister Sofia!.

The photo of Constantine with the flag of Sweden, he is joking with the Queen Sofia.
Towards a long time since I did not see a photo of Constantine with his sister Sofia!.

What countries were competing again??

Sweden was competing in mens high jump but didn't get any medals..

Princess Royal watches the cycling-track event at the Laoshan Velodrome
Corbis
Queen Sofia and Spanish track cyclist Joan Llaneras
ANP Beeldbank
Prince Philippos, prince Carl Philip, King Carl Gustaf, Queen Silvia, Queen Anne-Marie, King Constantine, Crown Prince Frederik, Queen Sofia, Inaki Urdangarin, and Infanta Cristina watching athletics
MCT International
Grand Duke Henri attends at the men's sprint at the Laoshan Velodrome
MCT International
Queen Sofia follows the men's madison in the cycling competition
MCT International
Queen Sofia with cyclist Joan Llaners, who got silver medal with Antonio Tauler in madison
As

Back
Top Bottom