The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-25-2016, 01:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Royals and the 2016 Rio Olympic & Paralympic Games.

So I don't know if we're going to have a sub-forum like we did for 2012 but I thought i'd start a thread off.

The Olympic Torch was lit on 21st April 2016 so the countdown has begun.

On 27 April the flame will be handed over to the Brazilian organisers at a ceremony at the Panathenaic Stadium in Athens. A brief stop will be made in Switzerland to visit the IOC headquarters and the Olympic Museum in Lausanne as well as the United Nations Office at Geneva. The torch relay will begin its Brazilian journey on 3 May on the capital Brasília. The torch relay will visit more than 300 Brazilian cities (including all the 26 states capitals and the Brazilian Federal District). With the last part to be held in the city of Rio de Janeiro.

Opening Ceremony is on August 5th 2016 in the Maracanã Stadium.

Obviously The Olympics have not gone without controversy.

The collapse of this cycle bridge happened the day the torch was lit.
Rio Olympics cycle lane collapses into the sea killing at least 2 | Daily Mail Online

WADA suspend accreditation of Beijing anti-doping lab for four months with the Olympics in Rio looming | Daily Mail Online

Brazil 'to buy tickets' for Rio Olympic Games 2016 and give them away to children | Daily Mail Online

As well as the ongoing Zika Virus.

And we have royals of course;

Zara Tindall competes under her married name as she aims for Rio Olympics gold | Daily Mail Online

This games will also feature a Refugee Olympic Athletes to reflect the ongoing migrant crisis.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I very much hope Zara makes the Olympic team again- I love watching her compete.

The American women look set to dominate at gymnastics, led by Simone Biles, and that will be a lot of fun to watch

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Old 04-25-2016, 04:06 PM
Majesty

When are we gonna know if Zara made it to the Olympics?
Old 04-25-2016, 04:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

When the UK announces their team - probably sometime in July.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I very much hope Zara makes the Olympic team again- I love watching her compete.

The American women look set to dominate at gymnastics, led by Simone Biles, and that will be a lot of fun to watch

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

As do I. I think it will interesting to see who goes and who stays home, just because of what's going on in Brazil. The Zika virus, political upheaval and now the news the Security Budget's being slashed...

I just have an uneasy feeling about these Games & very much hope I'm wrong & nothing happens.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 04-25-2016, 08:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Regarding Zara, don't forget it's the rider and horse that qualifies for the team. Zara got on the Beijing team but her horse Toytown got hurt and she couldn't go.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 04-25-2016, 08:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Regarding Zara, don't forget it's the rider and horse that qualifies for the team. Zara got on the Beijing team but her horse Toytown got hurt and she couldn't go.

I should have said it'll be interesting to see who goes to cheer on their Athletes in light of what's going on. Sorry for not making it clearer.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Royals and the 2016 Rio Olympic & Paralympic Games.

Tiggersk8, I wasn't replying to your post specifically but the other posts about Zara making the Olympic team.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
Tiggersk8, I wasn't replying to your post specifically but the other posts about Zara making the Olympic team.

Ah, no problems. It was a good misunderstanding though, as I really wasn't all that clear about who I meant and was able to clear that up. :)

Old 04-27-2016, 04:30 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Well they have red in this time;
Jessica Ennis-Hill and Tom Daley unveil new Team GB kit for Rio Olympics designed by Stella McCartney | Daily Mail Online
Old 06-16-2016, 02:39 PM
Courtier

The King and Queen of Sweden attend the Olympic Games in Rio between August 16-21 according to the Calendar of the Royal Court.

Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus
Old 06-16-2016, 03:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingen View Post
The King and Queen of Sweden attend the Olympic Games in Rio between August 16-21 according to the Calendar of the Royal Court.

Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus

Carl Gustaf and Silvia are the royals I most want to see at the Olympics! I can't wait to see Carl Gustaf being rambunctious and Silvia looking mortified.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:24 PM
Courtier

Queen Silvia is a former olympic hostess and she med Carl Gustav during the olympics in Munich 1972. She's also half brazilian and speaks portugeese fluently. The king is a real sports fan as well. So.. I thought that wild horses couldn't drag them away from these olympics :)
Old 06-16-2016, 03:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Silvia is not only 1/2 Brazilian, she spent 10 years of her childhood in Sao Palo (from age 4 to 14), though she attended a German school there. Portugese is one of six languages she is fluent in (seven if you count Swedish sign language). Considering the location of the games, and bother of their passions for sports, I'd have been shocked if they didn't go.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:07 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Zara Tindall has not been selected to be part of Team GB at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Zara Tindall has not been selected to be part of Team GB at the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Too bad, would have liked to have seen her there, but the GB team should pick the best people they have and this is all in the game..
(will be cheering on the GB team in eventing anyway )
Old 06-21-2016, 02:39 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it's for the best. Zara was the weakest link in London. Her performance probably prevented the team from winning gold.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I just read the BBC Sport article, Zara didn't make the short list of 10. Then 5 of the 10 will make the actual team. So she doesn't even get in if someone or their horse get injured. High Kingdom getting hurt last year, really affected their chances.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:50 AM
Majesty

not long to go now, and wow! it seems like yesterday that it was the 2012 london olympics!
i wonder when the RFs will start releasing who will go to brazil. i also wonder if the zika virus and the current instability in brazil will make the royal courts reconsider who they send to cheer on their teams.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 07-05-2016, 04:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Carlota, I have the same feeling as you, with the Zika virus, I think that the RF will reconsider who they will send to support their teams.

I watched a documentary where the sportwomen said that they are afraid to come to Rio because Zika is very dangerious for the women . and also for the men.

I read somewhere that Frederick and Mary will be present to the JO of Rio, Prince Albert said in an interview that he will be present but not during all the games.