The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal International Events

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-06-2016, 10:46 AM
Serene Highness

From the DRF the CP Couple and Prince Joachim &Princess Marie will attend.
Frederik 31 July -21 August
Mary 31 July - 6 August
Joachim&Marie 29 July - 8 August (they will visit Sao Paulo as well)

Old 07-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Heir Apparent

And the King Willem-Alexander attend 4-6 August

Olympische Spelen | Activiteit | Het Koninklijk Huis

Old 07-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricarda View Post
From the DRF the CP Couple and Prince Joachim &Princess Marie will attend.
Frederik 31 July -21 August
Mary 31 July - 6 August
Joachim&Marie 29 July - 8 August (they will visit Sao Paulo as well)
Here is the full agenda for the DRF in Brazil
OL i Rio | Kongehuset

They will be attending other events around Danish commerce and organizations, and not just the Olympics
Old 07-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

From the Swedish Calendar,
Carl-Gustaf and Silvia will be in Rio from the 16 to the 21st
Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus
Old 07-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by melina premiere View Post
Carlota, I have the same feeling as you, with the Zika virus, I think that the RF will reconsider who they will send to support their teams.

I watched a documentary where the sportwomen said that they are afraid to come to Rio because Zika is very dangerious for the women . and also for the men.

I read somewhere that Frederick and Mary will be present to the JO of Rio, Prince Albert said in an interview that he will be present but not during all the games.
Zika is very dangerous for a pregnant woman's unborn baby. For an adult man or an adult, non-pregnant woman, the risk is actually low as the virus is relatively benign. There is a small risk of serious complications (like Guillain Barre syndrome) in adults, but that risk also exists for many other infectious viruses including the influenza virus and several common gastrointestinal viruses.

Furthermore, the Olympic Games will be in August, when the mosquito population tends to be significantly reduced in Brazil. Further south, e.g. in São Paulo or Curitiba, the risk of infection is actually quite low at that time of the year; in Rio, however, it is still quite warm even in the winter (probably warmer on average than in the northern European summer), so the risk still exists.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:30 AM
Heir Apparent

And the Kings Of Belgium going to Rio 4 -8 August!

https://www.monarchie.be/nl/agenda/o...rio-de-janeiro

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of Belgium will travel to Rio de Janeiro from 4 to 8 August as part of the Olympics. They will attend the opening ceremony and several competitions of Belgian athletes and they will visit the Olympic Village. They will also meet Mr. Thomas Bach, President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and a visit the social project Kiyo / Amar.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:36 AM
Heir Apparent

How many of the royals are IOC members? Anne, Frederick, Albert off the top of my head. They would normally go to an Olympics every time including Winter and Summer.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Old 07-18-2016, 12:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Anne will be in Rio from August 2 to at least August 12
https://www.royal.uk/future-engageme...F08%2F2016&id=
Old 07-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
How many of the royals are IOC members? Anne, Frederick, Albert off the top of my head. They would normally go to an Olympics every time including Winter and Summer.

Current IOC members: The Princess Royal, Prince Albert II of Monaco, Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg, Princess Nora of Liechtenstein, Prince Faisal of Jordan, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad of Qatar.

Honorary IOC members: King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, King Constantine of Greece, Infanta Pilar of Spain, Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg, Prince Nawaf Faisal Fahd Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Re: the games and why someone might not go. We've had a case here causing a stir. An elderly man contracted Zika while on a trip to a zika infestation area. The man came home and died.
His healthy son then contracted the virus and did not obviously experience any of the known vectors for transmission. They are leaning toward transmission via bodily fluids, as the son was a caregiver for the dad. But that would be a new known vector for transmission. Unusual US Zika virus case baffles experts - BBC News
Old 07-21-2016, 05:25 PM
Royal Highness

I am not surprised at all. I would be surprised if any of the royals in "child bearing age" does go. I know I wouldn't.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Royal Family 'unlikely' to attend the Rio Olympics | Royal | News | Daily Express

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 07-24-2016, 03:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Besides Anne, do the BRF ever go (except London obviously). Sochi and Vancouver only Anne. Its non news Harry/Will/Kate not going, doubt anyone thought they would.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Royals and the 2016 Rio Olympic & Paralympic Games.

Why would British Royals go to the Winter Olympics if they aren't IOC members like Anne is? Britain isn't a Winter Olympics powerhouse -22 medals in the winter compared to 780 in the summer all time.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Rio no-go: Wills, Kate and Harry refuse to attend Olympics 'because of fears over Zika Virus' - but Princess Anne will still be there* | Daily Mail Online
Old 07-24-2016, 03:31 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I am not surprised at all. I would be surprised if any of the royals in "child bearing age" does go. I know I wouldn't.

In fact, unless you are already pregnant or planning to get pregnant in the near future (like within six months or so according to the CDC), there is really no need to be extra cautious just for being of "child bearing age". As I understand it, the body is cleared of the Zika virus some time following an infection and, once the virus is cleared, it can no longer be transmitted by sexual intercourse or to an unborn baby in a future pregnancy,
Old 07-24-2016, 03:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
In fact, unless you are already pregnant or planning to get pregnant in the near future (like the next two or three months), there is really no need to be extra cautious just for being of "child bearing age". As I understand it, the body is cleared of the Zika virus some time following an infection and, once the virus is cleared, it can no longer be transmitted by sexual intercourse or to an unborn baby in a future pregnancy,
As far as I've heard, they don't know enough of the virus to say that yet. They suspect it may be able to lay latent in the body to pop up later and don't know if it's sexually transmittable during that time or can affect future pregnancies. I know I would not risk it but all of them have to make their own choices. It must be so hard for the competitiors to make that choice!
Old 07-24-2016, 03:59 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
As far as I've heard, they don't know enough of the virus to say that yet. They suspect it may be able to lay latent in the body to pop up later and don't know if it's sexually transmittable during that time or can affect future pregnancies. I know I would not risk it but all of them have to make their own choices. It must be so hard for the competitiors to make that choice!
Since I am not a medical doctor, nor an expert, I can't really say if you are right or not, but all official guidelines I've seen so far say you should be OK if you wait at least eight weeks following full recovery from an infection before you try to get pregnant. Men who have been infected should on the other hand avoid unprotected sex for at least six months, see e.g.

Zika virus - NHS Choices
Old 07-24-2016, 04:53 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Besides Anne, do the BRF ever go (except London obviously). Sochi and Vancouver only Anne. Its non news Harry/Will/Kate not going, doubt anyone thought they would.
As Skippyboo said, BRF have no need to attend Winter Olympics.
Summer is a different matter particular when all 3 are ambassadors for Team GB.

I understand while Catherine may not attend due to unknown risk, but that's not reason to stop William and Henry going.

Rio is nowhere near prepared for this games....
Old 07-24-2016, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Royals and the 2016 Rio Olympic & Paralympic Games.

Since the virus can be transmitted via sex, Kate staying home and William going doesn't really prevent anything. Also they may have been advised by the security services not to attend.

Wasn't the team GB ambassadors only for London 2012?