Royals and the 2016 Rio Olympic & Paralympic Games.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lumutqueen

Imperial Majesty
City
Middlewich
Country
United Kingdom
So I don't know if we're going to have a sub-forum like we did for 2012 but I thought i'd start a thread off.

The Olympic Torch was lit on 21st April 2016 so the countdown has begun.

On 27 April the flame will be handed over to the Brazilian organisers at a ceremony at the Panathenaic Stadium in Athens. A brief stop will be made in Switzerland to visit the IOC headquarters and the Olympic Museum in Lausanne as well as the United Nations Office at Geneva. The torch relay will begin its Brazilian journey on 3 May on the capital Brasília. The torch relay will visit more than 300 Brazilian cities (including all the 26 states capitals and the Brazilian Federal District). With the last part to be held in the city of Rio de Janeiro.

Opening Ceremony is on August 5th 2016 in the Maracanã Stadium.

Obviously The Olympics have not gone without controversy.

The collapse of this cycle bridge happened the day the torch was lit.
Rio Olympics cycle lane collapses into the sea killing at least 2 | Daily Mail Online

WADA suspend accreditation of Beijing anti-doping lab for four months with the Olympics in Rio looming | Daily Mail Online

Brazil 'to buy tickets' for Rio Olympic Games 2016 and give them away to children | Daily Mail Online

As well as the ongoing Zika Virus.

And we have royals of course;

Zara Tindall competes under her married name as she aims for Rio Olympics gold | Daily Mail Online

This games will also feature a Refugee Olympic Athletes to reflect the ongoing migrant crisis.

Last edited:
I very much hope Zara makes the Olympic team again- I love watching her compete.

The American women look set to dominate at gymnastics, led by Simone Biles, and that will be a lot of fun to watch

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

When are we gonna know if Zara made it to the Olympics?

When the UK announces their team - probably sometime in July.

I very much hope Zara makes the Olympic team again- I love watching her compete.

The American women look set to dominate at gymnastics, led by Simone Biles, and that will be a lot of fun to watch

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

As do I. I think it will interesting to see who goes and who stays home, just because of what's going on in Brazil. The Zika virus, political upheaval and now the news the Security Budget's being slashed...

I just have an uneasy feeling about these Games & very much hope I'm wrong & nothing happens.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Regarding Zara, don't forget it's the rider and horse that qualifies for the team. Zara got on the Beijing team but her horse Toytown got hurt and she couldn't go.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Regarding Zara, don't forget it's the rider and horse that qualifies for the team. Zara got on the Beijing team but her horse Toytown got hurt and she couldn't go.

I should have said it'll be interesting to see who goes to cheer on their Athletes in light of what's going on. Sorry for not making it clearer.

Royals and the 2016 Rio Olympic & Paralympic Games.

Tiggersk8, I wasn't replying to your post specifically but the other posts about Zara making the Olympic team.

Tiggersk8, I wasn't replying to your post specifically but the other posts about Zara making the Olympic team.

Ah, no problems. It was a good misunderstanding though, as I really wasn't all that clear about who I meant and was able to clear that up. :)

The King and Queen of Sweden attend the Olympic Games in Rio between August 16-21 according to the Calendar of the Royal Court.

Kalender - Sveriges Kungahus

:clap::clap::clap:

Carl Gustaf and Silvia are the royals I most want to see at the Olympics! I can't wait to see Carl Gustaf being rambunctious and Silvia looking mortified. :p

Last edited:
Queen Silvia is a former olympic hostess and she med Carl Gustav during the olympics in Munich 1972. She's also half brazilian and speaks portugeese fluently. The king is a real sports fan as well. So.. I thought that wild horses couldn't drag them away from these olympics :)

Silvia is not only 1/2 Brazilian, she spent 10 years of her childhood in Sao Palo (from age 4 to 14), though she attended a German school there. Portugese is one of six languages she is fluent in (seven if you count Swedish sign language). Considering the location of the games, and bother of their passions for sports, I'd have been shocked if they didn't go.

Zara Tindall has not been selected to be part of Team GB at the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Zara Tindall has not been selected to be part of Team GB at the 2016 Rio Olympics.

Too bad, would have liked to have seen her there, but the GB team should pick the best people they have and this is all in the game..
(will be cheering on the GB team in eventing anyway ;))

I think it's for the best. Zara was the weakest link in London. Her performance probably prevented the team from winning gold.

Last edited:
I just read the BBC Sport article, Zara didn't make the short list of 10. Then 5 of the 10 will make the actual team. So she doesn't even get in if someone or their horse get injured. High Kingdom getting hurt last year, really affected their chances.

not long to go now, and wow! it seems like yesterday that it was the 2012 london olympics!
i wonder when the RFs will start releasing who will go to brazil. i also wonder if the zika virus and the current instability in brazil will make the royal courts reconsider who they send to cheer on their teams.

Carlota, I have the same feeling as you, with the Zika virus, I think that the RF will reconsider who they will send to support their teams.

I watched a documentary where the sportwomen said that they are afraid to come to Rio because Zika is very dangerious for the women . and also for the men.

I read somewhere that Frederick and Mary will be present to the JO of Rio, Prince Albert said in an interview that he will be present but not during all the games.

From the DRF the CP Couple and Prince Joachim &Princess Marie will attend.
Frederik 31 July -21 August
Mary 31 July - 6 August
Joachim&Marie 29 July - 8 August (they will visit Sao Paulo as well)

And the King Willem-Alexander attend 4-6 August

Olympische Spelen | Activiteit | Het Koninklijk Huis

And the Kings Of Belgium going to Rio 4 -8 August!

https://www.monarchie.be/nl/agenda/olympische-spelen-rio-de-janeiro

King Philippe and Queen Mathilde of Belgium will travel to Rio de Janeiro from 4 to 8 August as part of the Olympics. They will attend the opening ceremony and several competitions of Belgian athletes and they will visit the Olympic Village. They will also meet Mr. Thomas Bach, President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and a visit the social project Kiyo / Amar.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the DRF the CP Couple and Prince Joachim &Princess Marie will attend.
Frederik 31 July -21 August
Mary 31 July - 6 August
Joachim&Marie 29 July - 8 August (they will visit Sao Paulo as well)

Here is the full agenda for the DRF in Brazil
OL i Rio | Kongehuset

They will be attending other events around Danish commerce and organizations, and not just the Olympics :flowers:

Carlota, I have the same feeling as you, with the Zika virus, I think that the RF will reconsider who they will send to support their teams.

I watched a documentary where the sportwomen said that they are afraid to come to Rio because Zika is very dangerious for the women . and also for the men.

I read somewhere that Frederick and Mary will be present to the JO of Rio, Prince Albert said in an interview that he will be present but not during all the games.

Zika is very dangerous for a pregnant woman's unborn baby. For an adult man or an adult, non-pregnant woman, the risk is actually low as the virus is relatively benign. There is a small risk of serious complications (like Guillain Barre syndrome) in adults, but that risk also exists for many other infectious viruses including the influenza virus and several common gastrointestinal viruses.

Furthermore, the Olympic Games will be in August, when the mosquito population tends to be significantly reduced in Brazil. Further south, e.g. in São Paulo or Curitiba, the risk of infection is actually quite low at that time of the year; in Rio, however, it is still quite warm even in the winter (probably warmer on average than in the northern European summer), so the risk still exists.

How many of the royals are IOC members? Anne, Frederick, Albert off the top of my head. They would normally go to an Olympics every time including Winter and Summer.

How many of the royals are IOC members? Anne, Frederick, Albert off the top of my head. They would normally go to an Olympics every time including Winter and Summer.

Current IOC members: The Princess Royal, Prince Albert II of Monaco, Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark, Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg, Princess Nora of Liechtenstein, Prince Faisal of Jordan, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad of Qatar.

Honorary IOC members: King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, King Constantine of Greece, Infanta Pilar of Spain, Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg, Prince Nawaf Faisal Fahd Abdul Aziz of Saudi Arabia.

Re: the games and why someone might not go. We've had a case here causing a stir. An elderly man contracted Zika while on a trip to a zika infestation area. The man came home and died.
His healthy son then contracted the virus and did not obviously experience any of the known vectors for transmission. They are leaning toward transmission via bodily fluids, as the son was a caregiver for the dad. But that would be a new known vector for transmission. Unusual US Zika virus case baffles experts - BBC News

Back
Top Bottom